Linksys USB200M doesn't work

rickb...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2008, 1:26:42 PM8/18/08
to Beagle Board
Hello Beagle Boarders,

I'm trying to get the Linksys USB200M working and wondered if anyone
knows the right tricks. I can plug this same adapter into my host
Debian box and it works perfectly.

I'm tried:

ifconfig usb0 hw ether 00:10:60:85:95:98
ifconfig usb0 192.168.1.25 up
mkdir -p /usr/share/udhcpc
echo "#!/bin/sh" > /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script
chmod 755 /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script
udhcpc -i usb0&

I'm using uImage_OTG and rd-ext2-8M.bin:

[root@beagleboard /]# uname -
Linux beagleboard.org 2.6.22.18-omap3 #1 Thu Jul 24 15:29:36 IST 2008
armv7l unk
nown

[root@beagleboard /]#
ifconfig
usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr
00:10:60:85:95:98
inet addr:192.168.1.25 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:
255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:
1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:
0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:
0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:
1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I don't get any errors from the above but nothing works:

[root@beagleboard /]# ping
192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data
bytes
[hangs]

Any help greatly appreciated!

Rick

Gaurav Agarwal

Aug 18, 2008, 4:41:09 PM8/18/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Are you connecting the USB200M to the board directly?

I tried USB100M talking to the board through a USB hub (the USB hub has its own power supply)
and it works.

This way the beagle board is not the power source.

rickb...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2008, 7:39:10 PM8/18/08
to Beagle Board
Thanks much for the reply. Actually I am hooking it directly to the
Beagleboard. The only hub I have at the moment is an old USB 1.1, do
you think that will work?

Rick

On Aug 18, 1:41 pm, "Gaurav Agarwal" <agarwal.gau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you connecting the USB200M to the board directly?
>
> I tried USB100M talking to the board through a USB hub (the USB hub has its
> own power supply)
> and it works.
>
> This way the beagle board is not the power source.
>
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 1:26 PM, rickbron...@gmail.com <

EMBES_Nathanan Srisa-ard

Aug 19, 2008, 2:04:03 AM8/19/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have 2 USB 1.1 hub both not work with beagle, 2.0 hub work very well.
I think 100mA from beagle may not enough for WIFI usb.

Network device name usb0 may be USB network gadget. try to cat
/proc/bus/usb/device  and ifconfig -a to see your network device name (eth1 ?).

Nathanan.

--
EMBES Technology
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill Gatliff

Aug 19, 2008, 8:05:51 AM8/19/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
EMBES_Nathanan Srisa-ard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 USB 1.1 hub both not work with beagle, 2.0 hub work very well.
> I think 100mA from beagle may not enough for WIFI usb.
>
> Network device name usb0 may be USB network gadget. try to cat
> /proc/bus/usb/device and ifconfig -a to see your network device name (eth1
> ?).

I recall reading somewhere that the only way to connect a non-USB 2.0 device to
the Beagleboard was through a self-powered, USB 2.0-compliant hub. IIRC, the
reason was because the USBH on the Beagleboard was currently 2.0-only.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bg...@billgatliff.com

Jason Kridner

Aug 19, 2008, 9:06:19 AM8/19/08
to Beagle Board
That was for the host-only port that is not on the Rev B boards. I
believe the OTG port can handle full-speed as well as high-speed
devices.

If you are connecting a hub, it *does* need to be self-powered as no
hub is specified to work at only 100mA since it must also power a
target device. As you mention, I believe the boards will only supply
100mA and only if it ID-pin selected.

rickb...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2008, 11:10:36 PM8/19/08
to Beagle Board
Thanks for all of the help!

Okay, I've got a 4 port hub that claims to be 2.0, it shows up on my
host as:

Bus 001 Device 024: ID 0409:005a NEC Corp.

But when I plug the USB200M into the beagleboard with the power
adapter connected, I do get usb0 to show up but no lights come on on
the USB200M

[root@beagleboard /dev]# ifconfig -
lo Link encap:Local
Loopback
LOOPBACK MTU:16436 Metric:
1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:
0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:
0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:
0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0
B)

usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr
92:3B:B2:1B:E4:03
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:
1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:
0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:
0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:
1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0
B)

[root@beagleboard /dev]# cat /proc/bus/usb/
devices
cat: can't open '/proc/bus/usb/devices': No such file or
directory

When I plug in the USB200M directly I get the same as above but the
2 of the lights come on.

Ok, I'm starting to wonder if I'm using the right kernel:

[root@beagleboard /dev]# uname -
Linux beagleboard.org 2.6.22.18-omap3 #1 Thu Jul 24 15:29:36 IST 2008
armv7l unk
nown

which I got from http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/uImage_OTG

Anyone?

Thanks again for all the help.

Rick

Bill Gatliff

Aug 20, 2008, 11:03:41 AM8/20/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
rickb...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ok, I'm starting to wonder if I'm using the right kernel:
>
> [root@beagleboard /dev]# uname -
> Linux beagleboard.org 2.6.22.18-omap3 #1 Thu Jul 24 15:29:36 IST 2008
> armv7l unk
> nown
>
> which I got from http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/uImage_OTG
>
> Anyone?

Do you have a kernel from that vintage on a different ARM platform? Does that
kernel work with the ethernet controller?

Syed Mohammed, Khasim

Aug 21, 2008, 8:10:12 AM8/21/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Bill Gatliff <bg...@billgatliff.com> wrote:

> rickb...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Ok, I'm starting to wonder if I'm using the right kernel:
>>
>> [root@beagleboard /dev]# uname -
>> Linux beagleboard.org 2.6.22.18-omap3 #1 Thu Jul 24 15:29:36 IST 2008
>> armv7l unk
>> nown
>>
>> which I got from http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/uImage_OTG

May be support for your Ethernet dongle is not enabled in Kernel, You
can just check what driver is needed for this particular version of
hardware from Windows or a Linux Host machine.

Regards
Khasim

Sandeep Nair

Aug 22, 2008, 8:06:34 AM8/22/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Build kernel with support for RTL8150 based ethernet adapter.
Device Drivers -> Network Device support -> USB Network adapters ->  USB RTL8150 based ethernet device support

Best regards
Sandeep

rickb...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2008, 3:20:07 PM8/22/08
to Beagle Board
Finally got it to work by using the uImage and filesystem in
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/
Apparently it doesn't work with http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/uImage_OTG

Thanks for all the help!

Rick

On Aug 22, 5:06 am, "Sandeep Nair" <sandeep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Build kernel with support for RTL8150 based ethernet adapter.
> Device Drivers -> Network Device support -> USB Network adapters -> USB
> RTL8150 based ethernet device support
>
> Best regards
> Sandeep
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Syed Mohammed, Khasim
> <sm.kha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Bill Gatliff <b...@billgatliff.com>

rickb...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2008, 8:20:11 PM8/22/08
to Beagle Board
Just when I thought everything was working fine...

I'm getting these pretty often when the USB200M is connected to the
HOST port:

1-0:1.0: port 1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-
enabling...
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address
2
eth0: unregister 'asix' usb-ehci-omap.0-1, ASIX AX8817x USB 2.0
Ethernet
hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

I get them even when I don't have a powered hub connected (ie. the
USB200M is directly plugged into the HOST port.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,

Rick

On Aug 22, 12:20 pm, "rickbron...@gmail.com" <rickbron...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Finally got it to work by using the uImage and filesystem inhttp://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/
> Apparently it doesn't work withhttp://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/uImage_OTG

Syed Mohammed, Khasim

Aug 25, 2008, 9:20:58 AM8/25/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 5:50 AM, rickb...@gmail.com
<rickb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just when I thought everything was working fine...
>
> I'm getting these pretty often when the USB200M is connected to the
> HOST port:
>
> 1-0:1.0: port 1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-
> enabling...
> usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address
> 2
> eth0: unregister 'asix' usb-ehci-omap.0-1, ASIX AX8817x USB 2.0
> Ethernet
> hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
>
> I get them even when I don't have a powered hub connected (ie. the
> USB200M is directly plugged into the HOST port.
>
> Anyone else seen this problem?

Can you try by putting nohz=off at the end of your bootargs.

Regards,
Khasim

rickb...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2008, 12:49:23 AM9/4/08
to Beagle Board
Khasim,
I tried the nohz option and it does seem to work better but if I
wait a long time while pinging the beagleboard it dies with the same
message. If I ftp a file it dies right away.

Thanks for the help!

Rick

On Aug 25, 6:20 am, "Syed Mohammed, Khasim " <sm.kha...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 5:50 AM, rickbron...@gmail.com

Måns Rullgård

Sep 4, 2008, 11:02:24 AM9/4/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

rickb...@gmail.com wrote:

> Khasim,
> I tried the nohz option and it does seem to work better but if I
> wait a long time while pinging the beagleboard it dies with the same
> message. If I ftp a file it dies right away.

Could this be related:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-usb/2008/8/13/2918204

I had trouble with USB dropping out until I applied that patch. It doesn't
look like it's made it into the git tree yet.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com