Understanding openembedded

Joheinz

Mar 7, 2012, 4:40:40 AM3/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
hi *,

I am slowly coming to understand the openembedded/bitbake built
process. I still have some configuration questions:

Let's assume that I wanted to build a distribution which matches the package:
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=kernel-3.2.9%2B
which is displayed as

kernel-3.2.9+ 3.2-r5a+gitr09e9651bcf2ee8d86685f2a8075bc6557b1d3b91

Am I right to assume that in the end this package is build from the
sources which can be found in the corresponding branch of
https://github.com/koenkooi/linux/tree/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2-r5a+gitr09e9651bcf2ee8d86685f2a8075bc6557b1d3b91
?

And if I run bitbake virtual/kernel which will AFAIK built exactly
such a kernel image - how can I make sure in my build/conf/local.conf
that I would like to have this version of the kernel?
I just have a DISTRO variable set to DISTRO = "angstrom-2010.x"
I do not understand yet, how to configure the build system, so that I
end up with builds which are essentially a replication of "official"
releases of the angstrom beaglebone distribution.
How can I query the build system which versions it nows about? Do I
need to change the branch of the openembedded directory? Do I need to
set DISTRO or DISTRO_VERSION variables? Can I query which distros and
version the build system knows about, aka what would constitute legal
values?

Thanks for your help,
Markus

--
http://justjoheinz.posterous.com/
http://softwarepoets.org

Koen Kooi

Mar 7, 2012, 5:12:00 AM3/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 7 mrt. 2012, om 10:40 heeft Joheinz het volgende geschreven:

> hi *,
>
> I am slowly coming to understand the openembedded/bitbake built
> process. I still have some configuration questions:
>
> Let's assume that I wanted to build a distribution which matches the package:
> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=kernel-3.2.9%2B
> which is displayed as
>
> kernel-3.2.9+ 3.2-r5a+gitr09e9651bcf2ee8d86685f2a8075bc6557b1d3b91
>
> Am I right to assume that in the end this package is build from the
> sources which can be found in the corresponding branch of
> https://github.com/koenkooi/linux/tree/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2-r5a+gitr09e9651bcf2ee8d86685f2a8075bc6557b1d3b91
> ?

No, it builds it from the recipe in meta-ti which does *NOT* use that git tree. The above git tree can be described as "for people too lazy to apply patches".

Those are built by following the instructions at http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom

> How can I query the build system which versions it nows about?

bitbake -s

regards,

Koen

Joheinz

Mar 7, 2012, 6:41:52 AM3/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
D'oh. Next try:

So it is essentially pulling the sources from the arago github and
applying all the patches because eventually I end up in this recipe:
https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-ti/blob/master/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp_3.2.bb
???

Markus

2012/3/7 Koen Kooi <ko...@beagleboard.org>:

> --
> To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss

Koen Kooi

Mar 7, 2012, 7:03:54 AM3/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 7 mrt. 2012, om 12:41 heeft Joheinz het volgende geschreven:

> D'oh. Next try:
>
> So it is essentially pulling the sources from the arago github and
> applying all the patches because eventually I end up in this recipe:
> https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-ti/blob/master/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp_3.2.bb

Correct. Managing patches is a lot easier when you're not upstream, just like Greg KH is managing his linux-stable tree: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=tree;f=queue-3.2;h=3935bb6ea3f680780de4b4aaf3bc0073b2196ffb;hb=HEAD

regards,

Koen