RT preempt patch compatibility

Andy Ngo

Jul 30, 2010, 12:12:34 PM7/30/10
to Beagle Board
Hi,

Has anyone successfully patched any of the available kernels with the
RT Preempt patch available at https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RT_PREEMPT_HOWTO?
We have a real-time application that runs on the OMAP35x that needs
the low latency performance that patch provides. Our custom OMAP35x
board currently runs the 2.6.29-6 version of the commercial Montavista
Linux kernel and I tried patching it with patch-2.6.29.6-rt24
available at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt
without any luck.

We have used it on our previous custom board (TI Davinci) for Linux
2.6.23 and it works great. Hopefully someone who has done this can
give me some advice or point me in the right direction for doing the
patch. Thanks!

Regards,
Andy

karthik poduval

Jul 31, 2010, 10:11:51 AM7/31/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I too was looking for a similar thing. I found (through google search) that the beagle board montavista kernel (ecs-boston build) has the PREEMPT_RT patch applied to it. I have tried building this and flashing it to the board and it works. You can get the sources from, in case you have already seen this then sorry for the redundancy:-

Regards,
Karthik Poduval

Regards,
Karthik Poduval

Andy Ngo

Jul 31, 2010, 5:16:24 PM7/31/10
to Beagle Board
>You can get the sources from, in case you have already seen
> this then sorry for the redundancy:-
>
> http://www.beagleboard.org/~arago/esc-boston-2009/mvista/

Thanks. Looks like the kernel there is pretty old, 2.6.24. I wished it
was closer to 2.6.29 as we have a lot our custom drivers written off
it. I just emailed Montavista to see if they have a RT Preempt for
their kernel. In the meantime, I just found there was another thread
that somehow skipped my search:
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/8b56060586cc62e9/cd9016eb812a5c51?lnk=gst&q=real+time#cd9016eb812a5c51
that has the patch for linux-omap-2.6.29-omap1. I'll try that out for
now.

Regards,
Andy

Maxim Podbereznyy

Aug 1, 2010, 2:54:18 AM8/1/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Upon my experience MontaVista itself is RTOS, so I don't understand which additional patches are required to make it more realtime

Mateo Londono

Apr 25, 2012, 11:36:10 AM4/25/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Since last updates to this thread has anyone tried patching an angstrom generated kernel with RT Preempt patches available from
or

If so, can you share your experience and any problems in building or running on the beagleboard?

Thanks.