Problem installing Angstrom to Flash

Richard

Jan 15, 2009, 12:47:14 PM1/15/09
to Beagle Board
Hi all,
I decided to try the instructions here: http://beagleboard.org/demo/esc#esc-100
on installing Angstrom to flash. All seemed to work fine, up to step
5.
After removing power, and applying again, nothing happens; there's no
output on the DVI or serial ports.

if I reboot, holding down the user button and bring up # prompt,
printenv gives me:
filesize=AF13C
bootargs=console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
rootfstype=jffs2 nohz=off
bootcmd=nand read 80200000 280000 400000;bootm 80200000

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-R

Jason Kridner

Jan 15, 2009, 10:47:09 PM1/15/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 15, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Richard wrote:

> Hi all,
> I decided to try the instructions here: http://beagleboard.org/demo/esc#esc-100
> on installing Angstrom to flash. All seemed to work fine, up to step
> 5.

The latter part of Step 5 is only required if you want to switch
*away* from booting from the flash and to booting from SD Card. Are
you getting into Angstrom? Where you presented both of the questions
in Step 4 and did you answer them as directed?

One thing that catches people is that the first time this boots, it
takes 3-5 minutes. This is because the Angstrom packages aren't yet
configured. Give it about 5 minutes and see if it completes the boot.

> After removing power, and applying again, nothing happens; there's no
> output on the DVI or serial ports.
>
> if I reboot, holding down the user button and bring up # prompt,
> printenv gives me:
> filesize=AF13C
> bootargs=console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
> rootfstype=jffs2 nohz=off
> bootcmd=nand read 80200000 280000 400000;bootm 80200000

This is correct for booting from the flash. If the root file system
and kernel are correctly installed, and you have a compatible monitor,
hub, keyboard, and mouse properly connected, this should work for you.

> Any ideas?

Give it a few minutes to boot. I should put that in the notes if it
works for you!

> Thanks in advance!
>

> -R

Richard

Jan 16, 2009, 4:11:33 AM1/16/09
to Beagle Board
Hi Jason,
thanks for the reply. Here's the steps I go through:
1. Copy files to the SD card as per intructions
2. Hold down User button and boot of SD
3. Typed yes at the 'Would you like to install Angstrom to flash'
prompt
4. Lots of copying of files ensues (takes a few minutes) - displayed
on DVI-connected monitor
5. Typed flash at the 'type flash to boot Anfstrom on the flash'
prompt
6. Got messages on 'Configuring for flash boot', followed by "You man
now power cycle your board without holding the USER button.", and an
Angstrom login prompt
7. Pull the power plug out for a few seconds (using a power-supply,
not USB), put back in.
8. The PWR LED (near the audio sockets) turns on, but no tty or DVI
output.
9. Go and make coffee, come back about 5 minutes later; Still no
other signs of life.

So that's as far as I got. Is there anything else I should be doing/
looking for?

Richard

Jan 16, 2009, 4:59:17 AM1/16/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,
not sure if this is relevant,but I rebooted holding the USER button,
interrupted autoboot and:
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # printenv
filesize=AF13C
bootargs=console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
rootfstype=j
ffs2 nohz=off
bootcmd=nand read 80200000 280000 400000;bootm 80200000
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial

Environment size: 206/131068 bytes
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # boot

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x280000, size 0x400000
4194304 bytes read: OK
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
OMAP3 beagleboard.org #

Jason Kridner

Jan 16, 2009, 8:51:32 AM1/16/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 16, 2009, at 3:59 AM, Richard wrote:

> Hi,
> not sure if this is relevant,but I rebooted holding the USER button,
> interrupted autoboot and:
> Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
> OMAP3 beagleboard.org # printenv
> filesize=AF13C
> bootargs=console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
> rootfstype=j
> ffs2 nohz=off
> bootcmd=nand read 80200000 280000 400000;bootm 80200000
> stdin=serial
> stdout=serial
> stderr=serial
>
> Environment size: 206/131068 bytes
> OMAP3 beagleboard.org # boot
>
> NAND read: device 0 offset 0x280000, size 0x400000
> 4194304 bytes read: OK
> Wrong Image Format for bootm command
> ERROR: can't get kernel image!
> OMAP3 beagleboard.org #

Well, this makes it sound like the uImage that was copied to the NAND
flash was corrupted. Since you have the ability to interact with the
serial console, get to it *without* hitting the USER button and try:

OMAP3 beagleboard.org # version
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # mmcinit
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # fatload mmc 0 80200000 uImage
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # bootm 80200000

If the uImage is fine on the SD card, this should get you to boot the
file system in the NAND flash. Please provide the serial log.

Richard

Jan 16, 2009, 10:15:47 AM1/16/09
to Beagle Board
Hi Jason,
I've tried your instructions above.
there's a full boot-log here: http://www.plusfrog.plus.com/angst_boot.txt

The boot ends with: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

Thanks!

-Richard

Jason Kridner

Jan 16, 2009, 10:28:02 AM1/16/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 16, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Richard wrote:

> Hi Jason,
> I've tried your instructions above.
> there's a full boot-log here: http://www.plusfrog.plus.com/angst_boot.txt
>
> The boot ends with: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
> root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

This shows that the environment in flash is different than what you
showed previously (down below). I suspect that is because you
executed the step recommended for booting the MontaVista images.

To fix, get back to the u-boot prompt and follow the instructions from
the additional notes to go back to the Angstrom distribution loaded on
the NAND flash:
setenv bootargs 'console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 root=/dev/
mtdblock4 rw rootfstype=jffs2 nohz=off'
setenv bootcmd 'nand read 80200000 280000 400000;bootm 80200000'
saveenv
boot

If you get back to the previous state (bad kernel in the NAND flash),
you can reprogram the kernel using:
mmcinit
fatload mmc 0 80200000 uImage
nand unlock
nand ecc sw
nandecc sw
nand erase 280000 400000
nand write 80200000 280000 400000
boot

Richard

Jan 16, 2009, 10:57:22 AM1/16/09
to Beagle Board
Hi,
that works much better; kind-of... :-)

What I see now during booting from flash, is (log at:
http://www.plusfrog.plus.com/angst_flash_boot.txt) is some messages
like:
Buffer I/O error on device mtdblock0, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 0

And later:
mtd->read(0x614 bytes from 0xd4f21ec) returned ECC error
JFFS2 notice: (562) jffs2_get_inode_nodes: Node header CRC failed at
0xd4f21ec.
{36c9,000b,36d2ceb7,b70316f4}

I'm guessing that this probably not 'expected' behaviour?

Thanks once again.

-Richard