RE: Google Summer of Code chat

Kridner, Jason

Jan 28, 2011, 11:37:17 AM1/28/11
to Kridner, Jason, Wicks, Cathy, Kooi, Koen, Måns Rullgård, Vladmir Pantelic, Roberts-Hoffman, Katie, Jeff Osier-Mixon, Syed Mohammed, Khasim, Estevez, Leonardo, Hunyue Yau, Hilman, Kevin, lir...@pucp.edu.pe, Michael Zucchi, Philip Balister, laine walker-avina, soren, Søren Steen Christensen, yo...@rose-hulman.edu, Robert Nelson, Walzer, Frank, cristina murillo, joel.s...@gmail.com, beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
Copying the entire public GSoC mailing list on the meeting minutes, as I don't think anything too controversial/committal was said.  I've only made the tiniest of edits.

Also, here is the link and copy of the timeline:

January 24: Program announced.
February 28:
19:00 UTC
Mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
March 11:
23:00 UTC
Mentoring organization application deadline.
March 14-17: Google program administrators review organization applications.
March 18:
19:00 UTC
List of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google Summer of Code 2011 site.
March 18-27: Would-be student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations.
March 28:
19:00 UTC
Student application period opens.
April 8:
19:00 UTC
Student application deadline.
Interim Period: Mentoring organizations review and rank student proposals; where necessary, mentoring organizations may request further proposal detail from the student applicant.
April 22:
  1. All mentors must be signed up and all student proposals matched with a mentor - 07:00 UTC
  2. Student ranking/scoring deadline. Please do not add private comments with a nonzero score or mark students as ineligible (unless doing so as part of resolving duplicate accepted students) after this deadline - 17:00 UTC
  3. IRC meeting to resolve any outstanding duplicate accepted students - 19:00 UTC #gsoc
April 25:
19:00 UTC
Accepted student proposals announced on the Google Summer of Code 2011 site.
Community Bonding Period: Students get to know mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their projects.
May 23:
  1. Students begin coding for their GSoC projects;
  2. Google begins issuing initial student payments provided tax forms are on file and students are in good standing with their communities.
Interim Period: Mentors give students a helping hand and guidance on their projects.
July 11:
19:00 UTC
Mentors and students can begin submitting mid-term evaluations.
July 15:
19:00 UTC
  1. Mid-term evaluations deadline;
  2. Google begins issuing mid-term student payments provided passing student survey is on file.
Interim Period: Mentors give students a helping hand and guidance on their projects.
August 15: Suggested 'pencils down' date. Take a week to scrub code, write tests, improve documentation, etc.
August 22:
19:00 UTC
Firm 'pencils down' date. Mentors, students and organization administrators can begin submitting final evaluations to Google.
August 26:
19:00 UTC
  1. Final evaluation deadline
  2. Google begins issuing student and mentoring organization payments provided forms and evaluations are on file.
August 29: Final results of GSoC 2011 announced
August 30: Students can begin submitting required code samples to Google
October 22 & 23: Mentor Summit at Google: Representatives from each successfully participating organization are invited to Google to greet, collaborate and code. Our mission for the weekend: make the program even better, have fun and make new friends.

Jan 28, 2011, 2:27:21 PM1/28/11
to beaglebo...@googlegroups.com
I am also sorry I missed it - was working into the wee hours and just couldn't cope with 7am PST.  Next time we'll work on being more controversial.  :)