Radiance example

Stefano Moret

May 4, 2012, 3:30:42 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to run the Radiance example on Mac OS, but I get the following error when executing the bash shell script.

ev: Command not found.gensky: Command not found.

I double-checked my environment variables, and they should be alright.
Here are the lines of the configuration files I've set for BCVTB (Radiance is installed in /radiance folder).

<entry key="BCVTB_RADIANCE_DIR">/radiance/bin</entry>
<entry key="PATH">$BCVTB_HOME/bin:$BCVTB_RADIANCE_DIR:$PATH</entry>
<entry key="RAYPATH">/radiance/lib:.</entry>

Btw, as any of you succeeded in running BCVTB+Radiance on Windows?

Thanks, regards
Stefano

--

Stefano Moret
mobile:: +39 340 5202286

Andy McNeil

May 4, 2012, 4:43:02 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefano,

Can you check to make sure ev and gensky are in the folder /radiance/bin?
Are you sure you mean /radiance/bin and not ~/radiance/bin or something else?

Andy

Stefano Moret

May 4, 2012, 6:02:12 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

- yes, ev and gensky are in /radiance/bin
- yes, radiance is in the root folder /radiance.

Stefano

--

Stefano Moret
mobile:: +39 340 5202286

Andy McNeil

May 4, 2012, 6:14:51 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stefano,

My apologies for asking basic questions.

Did you close and restart BCVTB after you modified the Radiance path systemVariables-linux.properties?
What operating system are you using?

please add this line in examples/radiance40/scripts/radiance.csh (after #! /bin/csh ):
echo $PATH > /dev/stderr

Then run the radiance example.
does /radiance/bin appear somewhere in the output in .system.ErrorStream ?

Andy

Stefano Moret

May 4, 2012, 6:32:36 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy,

Good catch!
I'm working on Mac OS 10.6.8.

Thanks to your hint I found the problem, basically the Radiance path was naively overwritten by the EnergyPlus one.
Now I added them together and it works:

<entry key="PATH">
$BCVTB_HOME/bin:$BCVTB_ENERGYPLUS_DIR:$BCVTB_RADIANCE_DIR:$PATH</entry>

Thanks for the hint!
Btw, I've seen the example has never been tested on Windows, is there any development under this point of view? I need to work on Windows for my simulations in E+, it would be nice to integrate Radiance there as well. At the moment I can't couple them in BCVTB due to these OS issues.

Thanks again,
Stefano

--

Stefano Moret
mobile:: +39 340 5202286

Andy McNeil

May 4, 2012, 6:45:45 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Running Radiance with BCVTB on Windows should work just fine.  Though the packaged example won't work.  The included example script is written in c-shell.   You would need to write scripts in DOS batch for windows.

You can download a Radiance installer for Windows from NREL's open studio page:

good luck.

Andy

Stefano Moret

May 4, 2012, 7:01:06 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
That's right, I was thinking to install it through cygwin and use bash, but DOS would actually be the native option.

Thanks,
Stefano

--

Stefano Moret
mobile:: +39 340 5202286

Andy McNeil

May 4, 2012, 7:37:34 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Now that NREL is distributing windows installers for RADIANCE, I'd stick with DOS.  The previous users of Radiance with cygwin did so because there wasn't a good option for using Radiance on windows natively. (the desktop radiance binaries were very outdated and the Scons build system was often broken).

There's also the possibility of using E+ on Mac, if you want to stick with bash...

Andy

Stefano Moret

May 4, 2012, 7:51:22 PM5/4/12
to bc...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks. I'm using E+ both on Mac and Windows, but the new release (v7.1) will be only windows, and it has some new functions I need to play around with.

Stefano

--

Stefano Moret
mobile:: +39 340 5202286