EPub - Wouldn't that be nice

HarlyQuinn

Jun 17, 2010, 10:29:30 PM6/17/10
to BBEdit Talk
Such a great product and so many possiblities with scripting it. I was
hoping that one day, say NEXT WEEK, the ability to directly edit an
epub container's contents would be available right within BBEdit. It's
ok, you dont need to thank me now.

Frank Lowney

Sep 7, 2010, 9:57:59 AM9/7/10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
One part of this solution might be these Applescript that unpack and repack an unencumbered (no DRM) ePub file:

Unpack the .epub, edit the .xml and other text files contained therein and then re-pack the .epub file.  So, what would have to be added to BBEdit in order to support the EPUB standard XHTML markup?

The Automator ePub workflow described here works well but you'd occasionally want to be able to use the scheme described above to unpack the .epub and then edit with BBEdit.

Then, too, the Pages app from the iWork suite for MacOS X has just gained the ability to export EPUB files.  Maybe that lessens the demand for BBEdit support?

please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting to the group.

Dr. Frank Lowney  Georgia College & State University
    Projects CoordinatorDigital Innovation Group @ Georgia College
    Web SiteBlog, GCSU Email, MobileMe Email

NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.

Alex Satrapa

Sep 7, 2010, 5:47:29 PM9/7/10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Another option is to unpack the ePub into a source archive including the scripts to generate the new version. This way you can make sure you have a history of changes, and your source archive will of course be backed up somewhere. Editing the only version of an ePub is a great way to break things (ie: "Living documents" are prone to die).