meetup.com charges

ben lipkowitz

Jan 27, 2010, 4:12:01 PM1/27/10
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
at the meeting yesterday I brought up meetup.com as a way to reach more
members, and someone mentioned they have a fee for setting up a group.
it turns out that this is true:
http://www.meetup.com/help/Does-it-cost-money-to-start-a-Meetup-Group

please discuss.

Cliff Biffle

Jan 27, 2010, 4:30:14 PM1/27/10
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM, ben lipkowitz <fe...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> please discuss.

For those of us who weren't at the meeting, can you explain why we'd
want to do this and what advantage it would have over, say, Google
Calendar?

-Cliff L. Biffle

Richard Rogers

Jan 27, 2010, 5:13:29 PM1/27/10
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Google Calendar is not the only app Google offers. There are a number
of interrelated applications that could be used by the group for
disseminating information and organizing activities. Meetup is a good
way to be exposed to some people, but in my estimation, Google Groups
is just about as active.

Just my two cents.

Cliff Biffle

Jan 27, 2010, 5:42:25 PM1/27/10
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Richard Rogers <ric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google Calendar is not the only app Google offers.

Okay, but still -- what does Meetup do?

-Cliff L. Biffle

Richard Rogers

Jan 27, 2010, 7:17:27 PM1/27/10
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
All it does is puts you on a list of meetings that people can search
by area and interest. Once you have a meetup group established it will
mail out reminders to all who have joined for meetings. A mailing list
suffices just as well, like Google Groups, which is where I found this
group. I didn't even think of looking in Meetup.

Richard

Chris Weiss

Jan 27, 2010, 9:02:49 PM1/27/10
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Might I suggest plancast.com? That looks like the Next Big Thing in
social event planning. Or maybe not. I just know it's getting a lot of
buzz right now and isn't as painful to deal with as Evite.

--
-Chris