Using baudline on Ubuntu 10.10 x86-64

Erich Hoover

Feb 9, 2011, 12:09:37 PM2/9/11
to baudline
Attempting to use the x86-64 version of baudline on my machine
(through aoss) returns the error "No such device or address
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT". So, I worked out that I can get around the
problem by downloading the x86-32 version of baudline and manually
from here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/i386/alsa-oss/download

Once you've downloaded the package you can open it from the terminal
with "file-roller ./alsa-oss_1.0.17-4_i386.deb" and surf to the "usr/
lib/" folder. Extract all of these files to a convenient folder and
then move them to "/usr/lib32." Once you've done this you can launch
the x86-32 baudline like so:
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib32/libaoss.so" ./baudline

Sig Blip

Feb 17, 2011, 9:36:20 PM2/17/11
to baud...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for figuring out and posting this very useful audio
workaround. I had always thought that Fedora and Ubuntu had removed
ALSA-OSS emulation from the kernel since it is a kernel compilation
option. I guess I was wrong.

Baudline doesn't use libaoss.so which makes me wonder who is having
this library overridden and how this LD_PRELOAD solution works. It
must be some user space ALSA layer. I still don't understand it but
thank you for teaching me something new.