base2 beyond the .DOM

Dave Cardwell

Apr 3, 2007, 10:51:50 PM4/3/07
to base2-js
Hello Dean.

Ever the sycophant I'll get the obligatory fawning out of the way
quickly with a simple thank you for another first-rate piece of
JavaScript to pour over.

Without expecting a full-blown roadmap, I was wondering if you'd be
willing to share details about what else we can expect from this
"suite of little libraries" in the future?

--
Best wishes,
Dave Cardwell.

http://davecardwell.co.uk/

-dean

Apr 4, 2007, 7:09:28 AM4/4/07
to base2-js
On 04/04/07, Dave Cardwell <goo...@davecardwell.co.uk> wrote:
> Ever the sycophant I'll get the obligatory fawning out of the way
> quickly with a simple thank you for another first-rate piece of
> JavaScript to pour over.

Thank you!

> Without expecting a full-blown roadmap, I was wondering if you'd be
> willing to share details about what else we can expect from this
> "suite of little libraries" in the future?

I will blog about base2 more. At the moment I'm converting my entre
code base to base2. I've already converted packer. And I've pretty
much finished my syntax highlighter. The "little" modules that I'm
going to write will include:

* A behaviors library
* JSON support
* JavaScript 1.6/1.7 enhancements
* Forms enhancements (Web Forms 2.0)
* XML suuport - cross-browser XPath/XHR etc

That's all I plan for the immediate future. Because the core library
is pretty powerful the above modules will be quite small, between 2KB
and 5KB each.

The next blog post will probably describe the core. I need to write
some documentation for this before I can officially release it though.
Want to help write it? ;-)

-dean

Dave Cardwell

Apr 4, 2007, 10:53:39 AM4/4/07
to base2-js
On Apr 4, 12:09 pm, "-dean" <dean.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will blog about base2 more. At the moment I'm converting my entre
> code base to base2. I've already converted packer. And I've pretty
> much finished my syntax highlighter. The "little" modules that I'm
> going to write will include:
>
> * A behaviors library
> * JSON support
> * JavaScript 1.6/1.7 enhancements
> * Forms enhancements (Web Forms 2.0)
> * XML suuport - cross-browser XPath/XHR etc
>
> That's all I plan for the immediate future. Because the core library
> is pretty powerful the above modules will be quite small, between 2KB
> and 5KB each.

That seems to be about everything I expect I'll need from a core
library. I'm looking forward to being able to write little "plugins"
in native JavaScript without having to include all the cross-browser
fudging of yester-year.

I plan to start work on my personal site shortly. I suppose if I use
standard methods now, with my own temporary cross-browser work-
arounds, I can easily swap them out for the base2 equivalents as you
release them. Nice!

> The next blog post will probably describe the core. I need to write
> some documentation for this before I can officially release it though.
> Want to help write it? ;-)

I'd be happy to help lighten the load so you can focus on releases.
Perhaps you could create some stubs using the Google Code project's
wiki that I and others can help flesh out?

-dean

Apr 4, 2007, 7:34:55 PM4/4/07
to base2-js
Of course! The wiki... :-)