RegexMate

doekman

Jul 23, 2007, 2:48:17 PM7/23/07
to base2-js
I just want to show off an early version of RegexMate:
http://zanstra.com/my/RegexMate.html

It's going to be a tool to test and debug javascript regular with.
This version uses the plain RegExp object. In a later version, you
should get syntax coloring and more colors in the log, get the
position within the regular expression where a parse error occurs, and
also "incremental execution" (don't you hate it, when you don't know
why a regex doesn't match?).

Since I've got tons of other ideas, I'm mostly interested in feedback
on the user interface.

Further: this is the first project, I've used JSB bindings. And I must
say it's perfect when creating a webapp! It's probably also very
suitable for creating widgets/controls.

Dean Edwards

Jul 23, 2007, 8:44:17 PM7/23/07
to base...@googlegroups.com
doekman wrote:
> I just want to show off an early version of RegexMate:
> http://zanstra.com/my/RegexMate.html

This is the third one of these I've seen today. I'm going to have to
play with them all to find out which one I like the most. ;-)

http://www.rexv.org/
http://erik.eae.net/playground/regexp/regexp.html

> Since I've got tons of other ideas, I'm mostly interested in feedback
> on the user interface.

It's slick. The border-highlighting is a bit over the top though.
It's cool that you wrote it in such a small amount of code.

> Further: this is the first project, I've used JSB bindings. And I must
> say it's perfect when creating a webapp! It's probably also very
> suitable for creating widgets/controls.

I'm glad you like JSB. It's the way I like to script HTML interfaces
too! If there are any features that you think need to be added then let
me know.

-dean

doekman

Jul 25, 2007, 6:07:28 AM7/25/07
to base2-js
I knew Erik's "runner", but didn't know the other. There are actually
more of them, but most of them are executables...

I'm still reviewing the UI, so let me know if you have more findings.

Steve L.

Aug 12, 2007, 11:55:23 AM8/12/07
to base2-js
There are at least a billion of them, even if you only count web
apps. :-)

RegexMate is definitely a standout, and is immediately in my top five
for web-based (which includes my own, RegexPal, and Rex V, which Dean
mentioned). I'm not sure what you mean by "incremental execution," but
that sounds interesting.

cref

Dec 17, 2007, 6:59:09 AM12/17/07
to base2-js
On 12 aug, 16:55, "Steve L." <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are at least a billion of them, even if you only count web
> apps. :-)

There are, indeed, more tools like this but this one is by far the
prettiest! :-)
A tool I've been looking for (and would write myself if I ever have
time) is one that lets you build a RegExp visually through a dynamic
user interface letting you visually add (select condition type from
dropdown, each type with its own GUI), remove and nest conditions.
A tool like this would definitely save devellopers a lot of time but,
as far as I know, this tool doesn't exist.
In short: that's my feature request! :-)

doekman

Dec 18, 2007, 10:55:06 AM12/18/07
to base2-js
There already are RegEx GUI apps. For example http://www.regexbuddy.com/,