Charity Project -- XO Laptops?

Ryan Price

Jan 31, 2008, 2:41:34 PM1/31/08
to BarCampOrlando - Discussion
At BarCamp in September there was a food drive, and I think for what
it was the project was considered a success. I like the idea, and I
would gladly give food to local needy families.

Another way our event could have an impact on the world is by
participating in the One Laptop Per Child Project. $200 is a lot of
money for one geek to give on her own, but if a group of 200-500 geeks
donated $10+ each, we could buy 10 to 25 laptops.

http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/give-a-laptop.php

The XO laptop was designed by some folks from the MIT Media Lab (and
I'm sure lots of collaborators) to stimulate kids' minds and get them
thinking at a higher level. Take a look at the literature on the OLPC
site. There is a definite desire to cross the barriers of language
with this project. It's not just about Africa, but that is a part of
the world where this project has focused lots of attention.

http://laptop.org/

That's my thought. I think it fits the mission of BarCamp to encourage
the passion for technology. From the BarCamp Wiki: "BarCamp is an ad-
hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an
open environment."

Peace,
Ryan Price
FloridaCreatives.com
RyanPriceMedia.com

David Sikes

Jan 31, 2008, 3:23:41 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Interesting idea!
--
- David

Gregg Pollack

Jan 31, 2008, 3:56:15 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I really like the idea, but I wish it didn't need cash to make happen.

This is why we did a food drive, lets people keep their wallets at home.

Maybe we can figure out a way to do this without having to ask for cash.

Ryan Price

Jan 31, 2008, 4:03:28 PM1/31/08
to BarCampOrlando - Discussion
The only other way to get money without personally giving (which is
fine, because it's for the charity, not for the event) is to get
"pledges".

Remember walking pledges? Taking laps?

What if you got your mom, your company, your neighbors to sponsor your
BarCamp sessions? For every person sitting in your session, they could
pledge $0.05 - When the session starts (or during) we take a head
count in the room and the pledger pays the amount times the number of
geeks.

30 geeks x $0.05 = $1.50

30 geeks x $0.50 = $15.00

So maybe pledges should start at $0.25. You should also be able to set
a cap, like "no more than $40" or something that varies per person.
I'd be glad to just throw $20 flat fee in, so that's another option.
The point is to inspire people to:

A) Lead a session

B) Get people to attend and participate

C) One laptop per child!!!

Peace,
Ryan Price

On Jan 31, 3:56 pm, "Gregg Pollack" <greggpoll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really like the idea, but I wish it didn't need cash to make happen.
>
> This is why we did a food drive, lets people keep their wallets at home.
>
> Maybe we can figure out a way to do this without having to ask for cash.

Dan Kinchen

Jan 31, 2008, 4:03:33 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I have always loved this idea, I remember when it was every kind a laptop
for $100.00. But I agree with Greg.

Ryan Price

Jan 31, 2008, 4:09:57 PM1/31/08
to BarCampOrlando - Discussion
Also, asking people to donate will not scare them off. Anyone on this
email list is coming to the event regardless. In order to give the
event a personality (and so many people seem to forget that this is a
community event and not the "look at me" show), we should be willing
to take a stance, to have an opinion.

My suggestion for a barcamp motto:
"Everyone is welcome, and we actually give a crap about people."

On Jan 31, 4:03 pm, "Dan Kinchen" <d...@oness.com> wrote:
> I have always loved this idea, I remember when it was every kind a laptop
> for $100.00. But I agree with Greg.

Ryan Price

Jan 31, 2008, 4:21:36 PM1/31/08
to BarCampOrlando - Discussion
Excuse my outburst. Here's my point:

If an event has a vision other than just being a great event, even if
a few less people attend, it may actually attract the active minority
instead of the vegetable-like masses.

That was my biggest criticism of BarCamp Uno. Everyone just sat there.

Robert Dempsey

Jan 31, 2008, 4:25:20 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of donating, are there sponsorship packages yet? Perhaps I
should check the site again :)

Sincerely,

Robert Dempsey, Project Director
Atlantic Dominion Solutions, LLC
http://www.techcfl.com

phone: 321.274.4684
fax: 321.214.3352
Get Linked In :: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcfl
Twitter :: http://twitter.com/rdempsey
Mixx:: http://www.mixx.com/users/robertdempsey

Alexander Rudloff

Jan 31, 2008, 4:29:10 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
That was my biggest criticism of BarCamp Uno. Everyone just sat there.

I think that was more of an effect relating to event size, venue and comfort. Lots of people didn't know what to expect or how to act. This time around, we need to try to get a few rowdy presentations early and try to make sure everyone encourages conversation in their presentation.

Just a couple thoughts.. I think the donation idea is a great one though! :)

Dan Kinchen

Jan 31, 2008, 4:34:42 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Greg and I finishing that up right now.

Dan Kinchen
One Step Solutions, Corp.

Jan 31, 2008, 4:58:14 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Let me know as soon as you are ready. Thx.

- Rob

Marshall Sontag

Jan 31, 2008, 5:23:55 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
There was no room to move around! I even had to sit on Greg Pederson's shoulders to see the presentations.

Marshall Sontag

Jan 31, 2008, 5:25:25 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
BTW, +1 for XO Laptops.

Bob Crosley

Jan 31, 2008, 7:06:16 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I'd rather do something like the food drive again. I'm not crazy about the XO laptop idea.

My $0.02.

Marshall Sontag

Jan 31, 2008, 7:23:38 PM1/31/08
to BarCampOrlando - Discussion
Collect $10 via Paypal, or one of those donation sites for charities,
and advertise it on the Bar Camp site.

Then get someone from OLPC to do a talk! :)

On Jan 31, 4:06 pm, Bob Crosley <bobcros...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd rather do something like the food drive again. I'm not crazy about the XO laptop idea.
>
> My $0.02.
>
> On Jan 31, 2008, at 5:25 PM, "Marshall Sontag" <marshallson...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> BTW, +1 for XO Laptops.
>
> On Jan 31, 2008 2:23 PM, Marshall Sontag <marshallson...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was no room to move around! I even had to sit on Greg Pederson's shoulders to see the presentations.

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

Danny Sanchez

Jan 31, 2008, 7:56:36 PM1/31/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I DO like the idea of doing something geek-specific though. Seems to me like we've got a room full of some of the brightest programmers in the state and that there's got to be some special charitable opportunity there that few if any other gatherings could pull off.

--Danny Sanchez
dans...@yahoo.com
http://www.journalistopia.com

I'd rather do something like the food drive again. I'm not crazy about the XO laptop idea.

My $0.02.

On Jan 31, 2008, at 5:25 PM, "Marshall Sontag" <marshal...@gmail.com> wrote:

BTW, +1 for XO Laptops.

Jason Hawkins

Feb 1, 2008, 12:24:44 AM2/1/08
to BarCampOrlando - Discussion
I like the idea of helping people out. I think everybody does.
Everybody except my ex-girlfriend. She's a waste of flesh.

But for the rest of us it makes us feel good to see other people
feeling good. And I like the idea of somehow giving away XO laptops to
people that might need them. However, I don't really like the idea of
doing pledges.

If there's more than one presentation going on at a time I imagine
you're going to run into trouble. Say you're a colossal douche and pay
off (or otherwise convince) a majority of the attendees to go to your
lousy presentation on why you're the best at teh Haloz. At the same
time there's a much more worth-while presentation on curing cancer
going on at the other venue.

Sure, you might have raised a ton of flow for the laptop cause, but
you've just killed the brain cells of some of the brightest in
Orlando. And, as we all know, for every brain cell destroyed a <a
href="http://failblog.wordpress.com/2008/01/03/dangle-cat/"
title="">LOL-cat fails</a>.

Perhaps, as Marshall suggested, we create a PayPal account that people
can donate to on the BarCamp Orlando website. Everybody dumps their
change in the tip jar and we see how many laptops we can get out of
it. Of course, where to send them once we've got the money raised is
another issue altogether.

Still, I like it. It's tech-related and it promotes growing and
learning. Feels like a good fit.

Like coffee and pie.

Or Susan and a restraining order.

You ruined my life.

On Jan 31, 7:56 pm, Danny Sanchez <dansa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I DO like the idea of doing something geek-specific though. Seems to me like we've got a room full of some of the brightest programmers in the state and that there's got to be some special charitable opportunity there that few if any other gatherings could pull off.
>
> --Danny Sanchez
> dansa...@yahoo.comhttp://www.journalistopia.com

Mike Blake

Feb 1, 2008, 8:40:22 AM2/1/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com

And I was on Marshall's shoulders. An up there the conversation was
lively and entertaining.

Greg Pederson

Feb 1, 2008, 8:38:09 AM2/1/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, Susan...she makes me remember the song Crazy Bitch, by BuckCherry :)
--
Greg Pederson
Founder and Technical Director

Nsight Development, LLC.
www.NsightDevelopment.com

Gr...@NsightDevelopment.com
407-641-0327

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Greg.P...@gmail.com

Chris Scott

Feb 1, 2008, 9:32:05 AM2/1/08
to BarCampOrlando - Discussion
Are there any local charities that accept computer hardware
donations? I'm sure many of us have hardware lying around that we've
been holding on to 'just in case' that is probably more than adequate
for the avg. computer user. I just took a quick inventory and I could
easily donate a desktop, a couple wifi routers, a keyboard, and a
gaggle of mice without missing anything other than the clutter.

We could load Ubuntu on any computers and send them and the rest to a
better place.

--
Chris Scott

On Jan 31, 7:56 pm, Danny Sanchez <dansa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I DO like the idea of doing something geek-specific though. Seems to me like we've got a room full of some of the brightest programmers in the state and that there's got to be some special charitable opportunity there that few if any other gatherings could pull off.
>
> --Danny Sanchez
> dansa...@yahoo.comhttp://www.journalistopia.com

Damien McKenna

Feb 1, 2008, 11:14:34 AM2/1/08
On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Chris Scott wrote:
> Are there any local charities that accept computer hardware
> donations?

Are there any not-for-profit companies that wanted to collect hardware
to make up working machines to donate to schools, etc?

--
Damien McKenna - Husband, father, geek.
dam...@mc-kenna.com - http://www.mc-kenna.com/

tim welch

Feb 1, 2008, 11:39:52 AM2/1/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I like the paypal idea, it can be posted for a week or so before and
totals updated occasionally during the day. It gives two things to
hype ahead of the event. Someone who might not be able to go could
still participate with the charity. I also think the paypal thing
might open it up to more generous donations, I tend to spend more when
I click it away versus taking the cash out of my wallet. Unless we get
to 100 laptops we can't tell them where to send them though.

I can't speak for all schools but typically public schools (like the
one I work at) will take them but not use them. Not enough support for
non-standard hardware and extreme liability for what may remain on a
hd. A few non-profit private schools might be interested. But that
much stuff ends up being a new issue: where to store it on the day,
what about overflow, what happens if they aren't loaded correctly,
getting them to the charity if there is no pickup, etc.

My vote would be the food drive again, make it a long term
relationship, or the laptop thing as that could be done easily with a
paypal thing and adds the benefit of not moving anything, just
transferring funds.

Tim Welch

Dan Kinchen

Feb 1, 2008, 11:53:14 AM2/1/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
The problem with the paypal thing is that Barcamp is not a business entity
and therefore cannot operate a paypal account. So this means once again
someone has to move money through their business or private account. Which
will mean a tax issue for the private account holders.

The laptop thing is a great cause, please note that you have no control
where the laptop will go. If we do a food drive, we would be helping local
families in need.

Dan Kinchen
One Step Solutions, Corp.

Feb 1, 2008, 2:06:17 PM2/1/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I agree... with this community event, I like the idea more of keeping
whatever food / money we generate in the community.

-Gregg

Gavin Baker

Feb 1, 2008, 2:34:04 PM2/1/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
Free Geek Central Florida is the local chapter of Free Geek, which
collects old hardware and puts Linux on it:

http://freegeekcentralflorida.org/

I think they're just getting started, so this could be a big kick-off
event for them.

IIRC, their biggest challenge so far is a location to use as storeroom +
workroom. So they'd probably accept hardware donations, but what'd be
more useful is helping them get a home.

Aside from Free Geek, it'd be great to support programs to help bridge
the digital divide here in Florida, whether with computers, training,
Internet access, etc. I've got nothing against the OLPC, but I feel like
we could have more impact in our own backyard.

--
Gavin Baker
http://www.gavinbaker.com/

No, there's going to be no even tenor with me. The more uneven it is the
happier I shall be.
Richard Halliburton

Dan Trevino

Feb 1, 2008, 2:51:25 PM2/1/08
On Feb 1, 2008 2:34 PM, Gavin Baker <ga...@gavinbaker.com> wrote:

Free Geek Central Florida is the local chapter of Free Geek, which
collects old hardware and puts Linux on it:

http://freegeekcentralflorida.org/

I think they're just getting started, so this could be a big kick-off
event for them.

IIRC, their biggest challenge so far is a location to use as storeroom +
workroom. So they'd probably accept hardware donations, but what'd be
more useful is helping them get a home.

Aside from Free Geek, it'd be great to support programs to help bridge
the digital divide here in Florida, whether with computers, training,
Internet access, etc. I've got nothing against the OLPC, but I feel like
we could have more impact in our own backyard.

Logistics aside, I think the freegeek idea is a great one.

dan

Dan Kinchen

Feb 1, 2008, 2:57:50 PM2/1/08
to barcamp...@googlegroups.com
I am located next to The Crawford Group (actually I can see this building from my office window) in Lake Mary. they are leasing 5 offices in a shared office environment to creative professionals.

Here is the website for it!

In case someone is looking.

One Step Solutions, Corp.Dan Kinchen -President
One Step Solutions, Corp. Internet Consultants
2500 W. Lake Mary Blvd. Suite 220
Lake Mary, Florida 32746
Phone: (407) 322-2555
Logo-Mantaray.jpg

Chris Scott

Feb 1, 2008, 7:53:45 PM2/1/08

On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:39 AM, tim welch wrote:

> I like the paypal idea, it can be posted for a week or so before and
> totals updated occasionally during the day. It gives two things to
> hype ahead of the event. Someone who might not be able to go could
> still participate with the charity. I also think the paypal thing
> might open it up to more generous donations, I tend to spend more when
> I click it away versus taking the cash out of my wallet. Unless we get
> to 100 laptops we can't tell them where to send them though.

Having a live count running throughout the day that notes how many
laptops that buys may help fuel the giving.

http://iamzed.com/
http://hailtheale.com/