Venue for any camp at Chulalongkorn University

1 view

Aruj

Jul 12, 2008, 1:36:59 AM7/12/08
to Barcamp Thailand
Everyone,

To introduce myself, my name is Aruj, studying at Chulalongkorn
University, Faculty of Engineering, Computer Engineering. And I REALLY
want to participate in organizing BarCamp. (And I have a plan to
organize a BarCamp at my faculty, at the end of November but it is not
the topic today. :D)

According to the discussion about BarCamp Bangkok 2 and other series
of the camp, I think I could help you by providing the venue in my
faculty for the barcamp, which I've sent all requirement to the
faculty to make sure that they will support us, and now I'm waiting
for them to commit the requirement.

About the detail, my faculty have...

- A building for you with many rooms for 40-60 persons, 2-3 rooms for
150 persons, and a conferrence room for 1,000 persons. (Must ask my
faculty first if you want to use all of these, and I'm asking.) All of
these rooms have projectors, PCs, white boards, and air conditioners.

- A canteen which opens in Saturday, and we can also ask them to open
in Sunday. (But we should have a plan and ask my faculty 1-2 weeks
before the camp begin, to make sure that we'll have enough to eat!)

- Moreover, we have Siam, MBK, Paragon, Samyan for having a good
dinner together. :D

How to go to my faculty? Just take a BTS (Siam) or MRT (Samyan) and a
little walk or take a bus. We also have car parks, which I have to ask
from my faculty (again).

So if anyone want to use my faculty to organize the camp, please
contact me and I'll let you know if it possible for the time you
request.

Thank you.
Aruj

ps. about barcamp I wish to organize, the date is fixed on 29-30
November, with many reasons. Now I'm building my team to organize it,
and will let you know and ask for help after BarCamp BKK 2
finished. :D :D :D

ps2. if you want to contact me, my msn is aruj_2000 at hotmail na krub.

Patipat Susumpow

Jul 12, 2008, 1:55:04 AM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
w00t great,

anyway, the proposed date of barcamp bangkok 2 is aug 30th, is it ok for you, chala in fact, cuz it's on mid-term examination?, not sure. but chula is a perfect venue!

we're expedting about 400 people or more to attend this event, by your information, it sounds good, but I have some questions need to be asked:-

- Can we have Wi-Fi access? Are there any public free wifi providing in Chula?
- Can we stay OUT LOUD? Are there any class in weekend?
- If Chula accept to be a sponsor, we can put them on the sponsor list, a gold, diamond, platinum class whatever, are they ok?
- If they are any cost for the venue, how much does it cost, AFAIK it's about 5000baht a day something. It would be great if it is free :-P

hope that we can go chula this aug!

Cheer,
keng.

Arthit Suriyawongkul

Jul 12, 2008, 5:14:32 AM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Car park. Don't forget about this.

proteus guy

Jul 12, 2008, 6:42:54 AM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Aruj -

    This sounds outstanding. The problem with university settings that we've tried thus far is that the rooms are all in use during the weekend. If it is possible I am also very interested in having a true barCAMP where the group can bring sleeping bags and make it a full 2-day affair. Let me know if these are options and thanx for jumping in!

    -- Ben

proteus guy

Jul 12, 2008, 6:43:33 AM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Isn't holding Barcamp during midterm exams gonna knock out some of our participants??

Aruj

Jul 12, 2008, 6:58:05 AM7/12/08
to Barcamp Thailand
> anyway, the proposed date of barcamp bangkok 2 is aug 30th, is it ok for
> you, chala in fact, cuz it's on mid-term examination?, not sure. but chula
> is a perfect venue!
--- The date is OK! I've checked it out.

> we're expedting about 400 people or more to attend this event, by your
> information, it sounds good, but I have some questions need to be asked:-
>
> - Can we have Wi-Fi access? Are there any public free wifi providing in
> Chula?
---- At CU we have True Wi-Fi Access Points and the Faculty Access
Points. If you want to use TrueWiFi, you have to get an id + pass at
Siam Paragon. But I'm not sure about the Faculty WiFi. I don't know if
they will provide for non-students so I'm trying to check it now.

> - Can we stay OUT LOUD? Are there any class in weekend?
--- There is no class in the building I mentioned so you can do
anything but I need to notice everyone about "cleaning". :D

---- That's enough. Thank you very much.

> - If they are any cost for the venue, how much does it cost, AFAIK it's
> about 5000baht a day something. It would be great if it is free :-P
---- From the conversation between I and รองคณบดีฝ่ายกิจการนิสิต, he
said that if the activity is about Education or something that relates
to knowledge and have our students participate in, there will be no
cost for the venue. But this has to be approved. I will report you
after I know it. In case it has some cost, it takes about 1000 baht /
room / day. But I'll fight to make it free. XD

On Jul 12, 12:55 pm, "Patipat Susumpow" <keng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> w00t great,
>
> anyway, the proposed date of barcamp bangkok 2 is aug 30th, is it ok for
> you, chala in fact, cuz it's on mid-term examination?, not sure. but chula
> is a perfect venue!
>
> we're expedting about 400 people or more to attend this event, by your
> information, it sounds good, but I have some questions need to be asked:-
>
> - Can we have Wi-Fi access? Are there any public free wifi providing in
> Chula?
> - Can we stay OUT LOUD? Are there any class in weekend?
> - If Chula accept to be a sponsor, we can put them on the sponsor list, a
> gold, diamond, platinum class whatever, are they ok?
> - If they are any cost for the venue, how much does it cost, AFAIK it's
> about 5000baht a day something. It would be great if it is free :-P
>
> hope that we can go chula this aug!
>
> Cheer,
> keng.

tonsai...@googlemail.com

Jul 12, 2008, 7:25:16 AM7/12/08
to Barcamp Thailand
i think free wifi is almost more essential than food :)

Isriya Paireepairit

Jul 12, 2008, 8:57:27 AM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
>> we're expedting about 400 people or more to attend this event, by your
>> information, it sounds good, but I have some questions need to be asked:-
>>
>> - Can we have Wi-Fi access? Are there any public free wifi providing in
>> Chula?
> ---- At CU we have True Wi-Fi Access Points and the Faculty Access
> Points. If you want to use TrueWiFi, you have to get an id + pass at
> Siam Paragon. But I'm not sure about the Faculty WiFi. I don't know if
> they will provide for non-students so I'm trying to check it now.

Is it possible to setup our own access point just for the event?
Registration for Wi-Fi network is painful process (multiply by number
of participants).

The other question, as Ben suggest, is how about overnight stay?

Aruj

Jul 12, 2008, 9:52:46 AM7/12/08
to Barcamp Thailand
I'm trying to have our own access point now. But the faculty staff who
I have to cooperate with haven't answered me yet.

For the overnignt stay, I think it isn't possible for BarCamp BKK 2. I
need more time to deal with this requirement. I'll report it to you
later.

Patipat Susumpow

Jul 12, 2008, 10:00:20 AM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
we can bring our access point to the venue, what we want just hi-speed internet connection.

Wiennat Mongkulmann

Jul 12, 2008, 10:22:04 AM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear this from you Aruj. I have some questions regarding the using the venue.

Firstly, how many of "our students" did you mean in order to use the venue for free? Half of all participants? Two-Third or more?

Secondly, even the cost for the venue is free, is there any cost for the maids? If so, how much?

Lastly, does the free cost cover for 2 days + a night event or just one day event?

To Keng, 5000 bahts a day is the cost for a room in Computer center.

PS. There is a 7-11 booth at the canteen which open everyday.

Aruj

Jul 12, 2008, 12:00:40 PM7/12/08
to Barcamp Thailand
About the access point you will bring in, connecting with the faculty
network requires an authentication with IT Department of Faculty which
I have to ask the faculty staff first.

To P'Wien, I think the number isn't that important. Just having our
students participate in this camp or be participants in the camp day
should be ok. But I will talk with A.Chaiyaporn and A.Athasit to
ensure about it.

About the money, if คณบดี agree with our request, there will be no
cost for us. But the topic about night event wasn't in the
conversation between me and A.Chaiyaporn. I need more time to deal
with this problem.

ps. maybe if I could type in thai, everything will be easier. My
english skill is very bad. -*-

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 12, 2008, 7:39:27 PM7/12/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
If you like, please tell us in Thai. We will translate into English after that anyway.

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 13, 2008, 1:13:10 PM7/13/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Can I conclude the date and venue as of now?

August 30, 2008 at Chulalongkorn University

So we can start PR asap.

Aruj

Jul 13, 2008, 1:30:58 PM7/13/08
to Barcamp Thailand
I need last agreement from my faculty. I'll report to you ASAP.

Thanks.

On Jul 14, 12:13 am, "Sugree Phatanapherom" <sug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I conclude the date and venue as of now?
>
> August 30, 2008 at Chulalongkorn University
>
> So we can start PR asap.
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Sugree Phatanapherom <sug...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If you like, please tell us in Thai. We will translate into English after
> > that anyway.

Arthit Suriyawongkul

Jul 13, 2008, 1:34:54 PM7/13/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
again, don't forget about car park arrangement.

afaik, a car without faculty of engineering sticker can't pass the guard
to the faculty area.

for the least, information about parking should be provided before the date.
like where are the possible areas, or which gate close at what time.
or it is advised that campers shouldn't bring the car, etc.

my recommendation: park at one of BTS/MRT stations and take MRT to
Samyan station.

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 13, 2008, 9:47:21 PM7/13/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
we need at least a few reserved slots for caring things to the venue.

Aruj

Jul 17, 2008, 4:26:59 AM7/17/08
to Barcamp Thailand
At this time, I think everything should be ok for us to use. I'm
waiting for the last task in the process of agreement to be done.

So the details are...

1. Rooms -- Please tell me how many room do you want. How many room
for 150 people? How many for 40-60? Each room already has a projector,
a white board, an air conditioner, ปลั๊กไฟ.

2. Carpark -- It's ok to park your cars in the faculty. But please
estimate the number of cars for me. I want to know it.

3. Wireless LAN -- I'm trying to get it for you all. The staff who
controls the systems doesn't answer me yet. T_T

4. Canteen -- No problem if you want all participants to buy food in
canteen or you'll buy food for them. Just tell me the estimated number
of participants to me.

***BUT please give me some more time to handle the inside problem. The
faculty staff tell me not to confirm everything to you all right now.
Just wait until next week, after I have a meeting with the managers of
the faculty, I will confirm everything to you.***

And I need you to estimate the number of everything I mentioned above
for using in the meeting with the managers.

Sorry for being late. งานราชการเค้าก็เดินเรื่องกันช้าแบบนี้แหละครับ -
*-

Aruj

proteus guy

Jul 17, 2008, 4:53:20 AM7/17/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Aruj -

    This is very promising news! Thanks so much for following up with this. Is there any chance that we could make this a 2-day event for Aug 30 & 31? To answer (my opinions - others will please add) your direct questions:

1. I think we should anticipate 300+ people upwards of 400 potentially. Room-wise I think 4 up to 6 rooms of 40-60 would be ideal with 2 rooms holding a 150 capacity would work ideally.

2. I really can't guess how many people would come via car. There would definitely be some spots required for setup, however so if 5 spots could be reserved that should do for organizational purposes. I would just guess that 20 total spots should be enough to satisfy the likely drivers but I could be completely offbase here. We could allocate car spaces on a first-come-first-served basis during online registration so if there is a certain number of spaces we know we have we can ensure only that many cars show up.

3. We can definitely provide additional APs and equipment if needed to augment the existing wireless infrastructure. Just let us know what they have in place presently.

4. Liike I said above, I'm guessing a little over 300 total people. What does the canteen provide? I think maybe having a lunch + a dinner (each day if we can do two days - hoping!) with one meal catered and the other using local food might work out nice but need to know more about the options. We want to reduce costs for attendees to as close to zero as possible. We should be able to get some good sponsors once we have the location settled fairly easily.

Thanx again!

  -- Ben Scherrey

Wiennat Mongkulmann

Jul 17, 2008, 4:54:11 AM7/17/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear from you, Aruj.

Last time we had 200+ participants. I think this time will also have 200
- 300 participants. ;)
-wiennat

tonsai...@googlemail.com

Jul 17, 2008, 5:04:50 AM7/17/08
to Barcamp Thailand
very good work, thank you a lot. nice to have one person with close
contact to all the decision making people. safes us lots of work.

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 17, 2008, 2:05:07 PM7/17/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
lol. next week is fast anyway.

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 18, 2008, 10:49:07 AM7/18/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
1. My estimation is up to 400 ppl. So we need at least 6 main rooms and 1-2 spare rooms.
2. Actually, we just want a few slots for ones who carry supplies to the venue. For hangout after event, car is not good just like last time. Having car is not such a good idea.
3. Network is optional. Ones that really want network will have their own network access anyway. In addition, I think that area is already have True Wifi or something.
4. I like the idea to order lunchboxes. Cheap and efficient.

So the only problem is the room. If you can confirm 6 rooms, we can announce by now.

sugree

JFXBerns

Jul 18, 2008, 4:29:47 PM7/18/08
to Barcamp Thailand
> 3. Network is optional. Ones that really want network will have their own
> network access anyway. In addition, I think that area is already have True
> Wifi or something.

Oh, I think we really need wifi.

Aruj, are you Sittiphol's brother?

Drop me an email at jberns -at- barcambangkok dot org.

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 18, 2008, 8:35:13 PM7/18/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Due the new computer crime law, providing free wifi is not possible anymore. They need at least something to identify each machine physically. But it is still possible and very interesting to do it ourselves using chillispot or even plawan central log.

@aruj If you have problem with computer crime law, you may propose to deploy our own wifi + authentication for this event using plawan central log. The developer will join us in the camp anyway. This is a good chance to demonstate the pros and cons of this open source software.

I guess network staffs don't want to mess their configuration. By setting up dedicated wifi, their task is near zero. Only need to allow our authentication gateway to access the network which is probably only one mac address.

Arthit Suriyawongkul

Jul 19, 2008, 2:08:55 AM7/19/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
ok, let's promote Green Bangkok Wi-Fi to every barcampers!

(as a last resort)

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 21, 2008, 9:48:27 PM7/21/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
One more sponsor possibility for Chula and especially Faculty of Engineering is alumni.

@aruj Please contact putch...@thaigrid.or.th to ask for some sponsorship. He is Putchong Uthayopas, one of alumni committee.

And sanook proposed to support all t-shirts (roughly 450 = 400 + 50). They just need design and 2 weeks to produce them all.

@aruj Can you confirm the venue? So that we can officially announce this camp.

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 21, 2008, 10:28:44 PM7/21/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
@aruj What do you think about logo? Do you have plan to design new one?

proteus guy

Jul 22, 2008, 2:06:38 AM7/22/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Proteus Technologies is definitely wanting to sponsor BarcampBKK again!

  -- Ben

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 22, 2008, 2:30:23 AM7/22/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
To all sponsors, please edit http://barcamp.org/BarCampBangkok2 in sponsors section to include your sponsorship. And we need 3 things from you.

1. high resolution logo to put on t-shirts
2. low resolution logo to put on web site
3. url

Since we expect to have 400 participants this time, we have to finalize t-shirt earlier too.

Note that we prefer things more than cash especially when you need receipts. If you don't need receipts from us, cash is ok.

Patipat Susumpow

Jul 22, 2008, 8:53:10 AM7/22/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

I've added Sugree, John and Aruj to Barcamp Bangkok 2 basecamp for event management purpose. If you guys want to be an event organiser, please let me know I'll add you guys to the basecamp and we can track all todos and milestones overthere.

Cheers,
Keng.

Wiennat Mongkulmann

Jul 22, 2008, 11:48:51 AM7/22/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
How can I help you guy?

Patipat Susumpow

Jul 23, 2008, 1:36:29 PM7/23/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Wiennat - I've added you to basecamp.

Wiennat Mongkulmann

Jul 23, 2008, 11:44:49 PM7/23/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 24, 2008, 9:41:49 PM7/24/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Kapook promises to give us something not sure but it is. They will also assign their staffs to setup Plawan Central Log to provide network for this event too. More detail will be available soon.

Patipat Susumpow

Jul 24, 2008, 9:47:37 PM7/24/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com, barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Mozilla promises to attend the camp. Some mozilla's staffs will have a presentation too.

But on top of that, we, firefix Thai team, have to land all the translation, at least, in nightly build before Aug 30th. Because mozilla will use barcamp Bangkok 2 as an announcement event for official Thai build.

--keng

Sent from my iPhone

Arthit Suriyawongkul

Jul 25, 2008, 12:27:11 AM7/25/08
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Patipat Susumpow <ken...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mozilla promises to attend the camp. Some mozilla's staffs will have a
> presentation too.
> But on top of that, we, firefix Thai team, have to land all the translation,
> at least, in nightly build before Aug 30th. Because mozilla will use barcamp
> Bangkok 2 as an announcement event for official Thai build.
> --keng

so what about a sprint at/after Thailand Next Web Apps ?

i'm up.

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 25, 2008, 12:37:23 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
cool idea. we may shoot everybody using IE*.

sajal

Jul 25, 2008, 12:46:59 AM7/25/08
to Barcamp Thailand
oohhh... network by kapook sounds a little dangerous ;)

On Jul 25, 8:41 am, "Sugree Phatanapherom" <sug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kapook promises to give us something not sure but it is. They will also
> assign their staffs to setup Plawan Central Log to provide network for this
> event too. More detail will be available soon.
>
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Wiennat Mongkulmann <wien...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks
>
> > On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Patipat Susumpow <keng...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Wiennat - I've added you to basecamp.

Wiennat Mongkulmann

Jul 25, 2008, 2:59:05 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
I might be dead thereafter. :)

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 25, 2008, 4:18:50 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
kapook will offer free beverages too. I'm trying to confirm how many.

Patipat Susumpow

Jul 25, 2008, 4:26:56 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
watch out mozilla munch!

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 25, 2008, 4:32:31 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
All clear. Kapook will give us everything eatable. Lunch, break, beverages, softdrink, water... If we can eat pretties, they will do. (kidding)

Wiennat Mongkulmann

Jul 25, 2008, 11:07:11 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com

And what about the hangout period?

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 25, 2008, 11:08:53 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
What do you thing? Chula guy like you should know a good place :)

Wiennat Mongkulmann

Jul 25, 2008, 11:11:17 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Kapook will support our hanging out too?

Sugree Phatanapherom

Jul 25, 2008, 11:12:59 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
I think "no". Don't worry. We have enough budget for hangout.

Patipat Susumpow

Jul 25, 2008, 11:39:02 AM7/25/08
to barcamp-...@googlegroups.com
Jee Choi.