56 private local campuses of foreign varsities illegal in Bangladesh

1 view

Sayeed Rahman

May 13, 2007, 11:35:20 PM5/13/07
to bangl...@yahoogroups.com, Sayeed Rahman, bang...@googlegroups.com
From New Nation Online Edition

56 private, local campuses of foreign varsities 'illegal': Students face uncertainty, panicked about career
By Staff Reporter
Sat, 12 May 2007, 13:55:00

The University Grants Commission (UGC), the apex monitoring body of the higher education in the country, has published a list of 56 private universities or local campuses of foreign universities operating in the country illegally.

As a result, some 12,000 students studying at these universities are now facing serious uncertainty about their academic future.

However, the authorities of these universities expressed strong disagreement with the UGC's list and they are also yet to receive the list.

In a notice, the Private University Department of the UGC said 56 illegal private universities and local campuses of foreign universities are: 1. World University of Bangladesh,
2. Mantrust University of Information Technology at Banani,
3. Headway Institute of Bangladesh at Dhanmondi,
4. GESA Bangladesh,
5. El Dorado Centre for Management Development at Dhanmondi,
6. Maple Leaf International Centre for Higher Studies,
7. Institute of Law, Information, Agriculture and Development Services Ltd,
8. World Institute of Business and technology,
9. Foreign Education Service Bangladesh,
10. Global Institute of Research Management,
11. The International University,
12. West Coast University of Panama,
13. Royal Roads University of Canada,
14. Cambrian College of Canada,
15. The Law Tutors,
16. Sofa Ed Ltd,
17. University of Luton,
18. University of North America,
19. Assumption University of Thailand,
20. Daffodil Institute of Information Technology,
21. Institute of Business and Information Technology of Sylhet,
22. SAFS International,
23. Bangladesh Institute of Art, Design and Technology,
24. CAT ACCA Princeton University,
25. Central Institute of International Technology,
26. Victoria University USA, Dhaka,
27. Australian National University, Khulna,
28. North American University at Lalmatia, Dhaka,
29. Green Valley University at Panthapath, Dhaka,
30. IBAIS, 31. Victoria University Study Centre,
 32. Newcastle Law Academy,
33. Neural Institute of Management and Information Technology,
34. Perdana College of Malaysia at Gulshan,
35. Australian Institute of Business Technology,
36. The Progressive Metrocracy,
37. James Cook University,
38. University of Balarat,
39. University of Honolulu,
40. University of New Castle,
41. IBCS Primax Limited,
42. British School of Law,
43. Atlantic National University,
44. Bhuiyan Academy Dhaka Centre for the Law and Economics,
45. University of Olengo Australia,
46. Peace Blend University of Science and Technology,
47. Neural Systems Ltd,
48. Unique Computing Rajshahi,
49. Asian Centre for Management and Information Technology,
50. SRGB-AEC Centre for Business Studies,
51. Victoria University USA, Chittagong,
52. Panama University Khulna,
53. Bhuiyan Institute of Technology,
54. Atlantic National University at Jhigatola, 55.

The UGC sources said these 56 local and foreign universities have been operating their academic activities without the prior approval of the UGC.

Since these universities have been running illegally, the UGC has informed all concerned that according to the Section 6 of the Private University Act 1992 and the Private University Act (Amendment) 1998, no private universities or local campuses of foreign universities either be set up or run their academic activities without necessary licences from the Bangladesh government.

The UGC further asked these private universities and institutes not to give admission to any subject, course, department or faculty.

Sajal Ahmed, a student of information technology at IBCS-Primax Ltd told The New Nation yesterday that their authorities told them that the UGC had served such notices twice earlier, but did not take any step later.

"But, we are now facing great uncertainty and deep frustration. We are also confused thinking what awaits for our fate. We don't know what to do. We got admitted to this private university spending a huge amount of money. Now how we will face our parents," he asked.

Shahed Alam, another student of BBA of Dhaka Campus of Victoria University USA, said he got admitted to the University spending as much as Tk 4.5 lakh. "I have learnt that this University has been set up illegally. Why the UGC did not take necessary steps when these universities were set up and started admission of students? Who will give back my money and time that I had lost if this university is closed down now," he also asked.

An official of Daffodil Institute of IT said they did not receive any notice from the UGC asking them to close down although their institution has been termed as 'illegal.'

Meanwhile, SM Abu Taslim, Registrar of Bhuiyan Academy said they do not issue any certificate in the name of their institution after completion of the courses. "Rather, University of London issues certificates on law taking examinations through the British Council," he said.

"We just give guidelines and provide coaching to students. There are 450 students studying at Bhuiyan Academy. Some 150 new barristers have been produced here so far. Students are still getting admission here," he said.

Taslim also said they know about the notice of the UGC. "But, we have been running our affairs for the last 18 years. If the UGC terms us illegal, they should talk to the British Council first instead of us," he said.

Source: http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/publish/printer_36039.shtml
What's good for Bangladesh is good for BANGLA IT. Serving your need to know.

"Innovation distinguishes a leader from a follower" - Steve Jobs

Sayeed Rahman
Founder BANGLA IT
http://www.banglait.org