Any interest in a Rails Bugmash this Saturday

Prakash Murthy

May 16, 2011, 8:48:29 AM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I had organized a Bugmash in Boulder a couple of Saturdays ago (on May 7th) - 10 of us worked for a few hours and fixed a few bugs. And 4-5 of us got our first commits into Rails code base! Do read more about it at http://blog.gnip.com/ruby-on-rails-bugmash/

Was talking about it with Prateek Dayal of SupportBee today; he was very interested in participating in one, and suggested organizing one in Bangalore this weekend.

I am free this Saturday; so am thinking of organizing one this Saturday - probably from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Do let me know if you folks are interested in participating.

Also, we need a place to host it; any company willing to accommodate a few geeks this Saturday?

--
Cheers,
Prakash N Murthy

hemant

May 16, 2011, 8:54:38 AM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
We can host one at CastleRock, but I am personally beginning to feel
that, Rails contributor eco system is too crowded. There are lot of
other gems that can use some love.

own coals.

http://gnufied.org

Satish N Kota

May 16, 2011, 8:54:54 AM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

I might be in…but cannot confirm until Friday…

Thanks and Regards

Satish Kota

Director, Heurion Consulting

Mobile: +91 98862 03255

Email: satis...@heurionconsulting.com

IM: kotasatish (Skype), heurionconsulting (GTalk / Yahoo)

Linked In: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/satishkota

Satish N Kota

May 16, 2011, 8:55:50 AM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

Also our office is open… let me know… I will arrange for food as well…

We are based in North Bangalore..on the way to the International Airport…

Thanks and Regards

Satish Kota

Director, Heurion Consulting

Mobile: +91 98862 03255

Email: satis...@heurionconsulting.com

IM: kotasatish (Skype), heurionconsulting (GTalk / Yahoo)

Linked In: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/satishkota

May 16, 2011, 8:58:40 AM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I am in. Let's do it.!!

Cheers,
Arun Agrawal

hemant

May 16, 2011, 8:59:52 AM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Here is our office Address,

http://bit.ly/iQ8eNf

Lets meet this Saturday. We will arrange some tea and snacks if
possible (hackers need food!). Plan will be to contribute to host
rails bugmash, but field is wide open. deal?

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Satish N Kota
<satis...@heurionconsulting.com> wrote:

Prakash Murthy

May 16, 2011, 12:45:49 PM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Lets go with meeting at CastleRock this Saturday simply because it is the first concrete response to my email.

Good to have food & coffee arranged during the event. We can also take a leisurely lunch break at a nearby restaurant.

Lets focus on either (a) working on Rails bugs or (b) Adding to Ruby 1.9.3 documentation.

I added a plancast entry for this event; please RSVP at http://planca.st/Z49

Thanks,
Prakash

Prateek Dayal

May 16, 2011, 1:03:31 PM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I am in :)

--
Prateek Dayal
Founder & CEO SupportBee

Abhishek

May 16, 2011, 11:01:08 PM5/16/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I'll also join.

Thanks,
Abhishek Yadav

Faz

May 16, 2011, 10:29:40 PM5/16/11
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group
Neat idea! I'm in.

On May 16, 10:03 pm, Prateek Dayal <prat...@supportbee.com> wrote:
> I am in :)
>
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Prakash Murthy
>

> <prakash.n.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Awesome! Lets go with meeting at CastleRock this Saturday simply because it
> > is the first concrete response to my email.
> > Good to have food & coffee arranged during the event. We can also take a
> > leisurely lunch break at a nearby restaurant.
>
> > Lets focus on either (a) working on Rails bugs or (b) Adding to Ruby 1.9.3
> > documentation.
> > I added a plancast entry for this event; please RSVP
> > at http://planca.st/Z49
> > Thanks,
> > Prakash
> > On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM, hemant <gethem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Here is our office Address,
>
> >>http://bit.ly/iQ8eNf
>
> >> Lets meet this Saturday. We will arrange some tea and snacks if
> >> possible (hackers need food!). Plan will be to contribute to host
> >> rails bugmash, but field is wide open. deal?

Dhruva Sagar

May 18, 2011, 12:34:06 AM5/18/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Must appreciate the effort, really neat idea, unfortunately I am not in Bangalore this weekend :(
--
Thanks & Regards,
Dhruva Sagar

Become an expert in Rails. Join our 3 day Rails workshop and learn Ruby, Rails 3, Cucumber and Git.

Mitesh Jain

May 18, 2011, 12:39:02 AM5/18/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I am not in Bangalore to0 :(

Satish N Kota

May 20, 2011, 3:58:59 AM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

Just Confirming the date and time for Bugmash

Venue: CASTLE ROCK RESEARCH

ADDRESS: VAKIL SQUARE, 39th Cross Road, Bangalore

TIME: 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Any other information we need?

Thanks and Regards

Satish Kota

Director, Heurion Consulting

Mobile: +91 98862 03255

Email: satis...@heurionconsulting.com

IM: kotasatish (Skype), heurionconsulting (GTalk / Yahoo)

Linked In: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/satishkota

Prakash Murthy

May 20, 2011, 4:34:36 AM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
That should be it. 10 of us are planning to be there tomorrow! http://planca.st/Z49  We should be able to do some good work, and have fun.

The plan tomorrow is to start at 11:00am; spend some time initially reviewing the open issues list on rails repo, identify a few small-sized issues to work on, pair up and work on these issues the rest of the day.

A couple of us will be working on the Ruby documentation challenge.

For the bugmash, the following instructions provided a couple of weeks ago by Aaron Patterson (@tenderlove) of the Rails Core team should be useful, in addition to the online documentation:

I'll try to outline the best things people can do.  People should not
feel required to finish all steps, and I tried to order the steps by
experience.  So, new people should be able to do at least the first
step, and experienced people should be able to do all of them.  But
even if the less experienced people to just one of the steps, it will
help the more experienced people out.

For tickets that have no patches attached:

1. If the person hasn't provided enough information to reproduce,
comment and ask for more info.
2. Try to reproduce the problem. Comment on the ticket with your
results, including detailed steps for repro.
3. Write a test to demonstrate the problem and attach that as a patch
4. Write a fix for the problem to go along with the test, attach that as a patch
5. If it seems like it should be fixed in 3-0-stable, try backporting
and attach the backport commit as well

For tickets that have a patch:

1. Check to see if the patch still applies cleanly.  Comment on the
ticket with whether or not the patch applies.
2. If the patch does not apply cleanly, treat the ticket as if it had
no patch (follow the above steps)
3. Make sure the patch has a test. If it has no test, either write
one, or comment that it needs a test
4. If the patch applies and has tests, try to run the rails tests.
Comment with the results of your test run.

For either type of ticket, if you make it through all the steps, just
assign the ticket to me and I'll apply the patches.  You should be
able to treat pull requests with a similar process.

I hope that helps!

See you folks tomorrow!

Thanks,
Prakash

Arun Agrawal

May 20, 2011, 4:53:04 AM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
we are 12 now :-)

hemant

May 20, 2011, 5:08:55 AM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
If anyone needs any directions to reach there, my number is : 9740313399.

Lets meet tomorrow, then.

Rishav Rastogi

May 20, 2011, 8:57:36 AM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to join in remotely as well?

Cheers
Rishav Rastogi
http://twitter.com/rishavrastogi
Cell : +91 9980616888
Gtalk : rishav.rastogi
Skype : rishavrastogi

Arun Agrawal

May 20, 2011, 10:27:24 AM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rishav,

We can try this out but not sure.

We can only figure it out tomorrow only.

You can add me on skype "arunagw"

Cheers,
Arun

Rishav Rastogi

May 20, 2011, 1:26:24 PM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arun,

I think I already have you on skype :) .

We can figure out the rest tomorrow.

Cheers
Rishav

Niranjan Paranjape

May 20, 2011, 2:24:14 PM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I am going to miss a good hack day.

Best,
Niranjan.
C42 Engineering.

Prakash Murthy

May 20, 2011, 9:29:32 AM5/20/11
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Participating remotely is definitely possible, and most welcome.

The key benefit of a bugmash is people being available to help others in dealing with the various issues that come up while working on rails bugs. People working remotely can easily fit in provided we agree on a communication channel during the bugmash.

I suggest we use #bugmashblr on irc.freenode.net to communicate during tomorrow's bugmash.

Also, please let me know if there are any other ways we can make it better for everyone.

Thanks,
Prakash

Faz

May 21, 2011, 4:43:30 AM5/21/11
to BANGALORE RUG-Ruby Users Group
Sorry guys. Couldn't make it today. Handling an emergency at home..
Missing out on a good day..

Regards,
Faz