BA Haskell User Group meeting on August 11, 2010 (Wed)

1 view

Ivan Tarasov

Aug 4, 2010, 6:11:03 PM8/4/10
to baha...@googlegroups.com

Next BAHUG meeting will be held on Wednesday, August 11 at 7pm at Engine Yard (SOMA, San Francisco):

Engine Yard
500 Third Street, Suite 510
San Francisco, CA 94107

Contact phone (mine): 650-762-6644.
Host's phone (Larry's): 407-718-7665.

At the last meeting I started explaining monads and basics of Haskell syntax. The plan for this meeting is to continue talking about monads and hopefully start with monad transformers. I strongly suggest reading the monads explanation in the “Real World Haskell” book (available online, see the link below), especially to those who are new to the concept. The explanation there is exteremely concise. Please also take a look at the “All about monads” tutorial and its examples, we can go over them at the meeting if there are any questions.

Some old and new suggested reading texts:
If you have some other useful links, please post them to the group.

Some people will be going from the South Bay (and probably East Bay) to the meeting and back, so there's a possibility of carpooling. Also, it's very easy to get to Engine Yard from the Caltrain station. Please send me a message if you need help figuring out transportation. If you can take some people from East/South Bay on your car to the meeting and back, please send a message to the baha...@googlegroups.com mailing list.

Please retweet, post to reddit, and forward this email to those who may be interested in attending. If you plan to attend, please subscribe to BAHaskell Google Group <http://groups.google.com/group/bahaskell> to follow all the discussions related to this meeting.

Best regards,
Ivan

Mark Wong-VanHaren

Aug 4, 2010, 7:23:26 PM8/4/10
to baha...@googlegroups.com
In The Monad.Reader (TMR) Issue 13, there's an article called Typeclassopedia:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Typeclassopedia

I've found it to be an excellent resource for gaining a better
understanding of Haskell's type classes, including monads and
transformers. (Having not read most of the other texts cited, I can't
say how it compares.)

Cheers,
-m

2010/8/4 Ivan Tarasov <ivan.t...@gmail.com>:

Tim Sears

Aug 4, 2010, 7:02:03 PM8/4/10
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'm coming back to Palo Alto right after this meeting.
Possibly coming up from Palo Alto as well.
--Tim