Quarterly BART/SFO status report to MTC

Adrian Brandt

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
to batn

Quarterly BART/SFO status report to MTC
(from an OCR scan of a fax)

****

DATE: December 13, 2000

TO: Programming and Allocations Committee
FR: Executive Director
RE: Project Status Report on BART San Francisco Airport Extension

This memo presents the quarterly status report on the BART SFO Extension.
It summarizes the construction status and budget, and responds to other
issues raised by Commissioners. Accompanying this memo is BART's Quarterly
Report which they prepare, for the Federal Transit Administration (FTA);
that document provides details of the construction progress, right of way
(ROW) acquisition activities, and other support functions, and an updated
project timeline.

Status of Construction/Support Efforts

Line, Trackwork and Systems (LTS) Contract This contract is currently
estimated to cost $548 million. It covers construction of all the civil
structures for the BART main line from Colma to Millbrae and part of the
aerial line serving the Airport, plus all of the trackwork and the power,
communications and train control systems for -the entire extension,
including on-Airport BART facilities.

The subway box is now complete from the Colma tail track to the San Bruno
Station. The subway construction has also been completed through the San
Bruno Central Business District. To date, 4.1 miles of subway box have
been completed, which is 72% of the total subway length for the project.
During the next quarter, the contractor is expected to complete the subway
south from San Bruno to the start of the aerial segment in the West of
Bayshore area. Work will then begin on the remaining segment from the San
Bruno Station shell to 1-380 and the subway segment north of the Millbrae
station.

Construction of the San Bruno Station shell is nearing completion. In the
West of Bayshore area, the south leg of the aerial wye is complete except
for the parapet walls, and 38 of the 51 columns for the north wye have
been completed. It is anticipated that the civil construction work under
this contract will be completed by Spring 2001.

The systems portion of the LTS contract consists of design, manufacture
and installation of track, electrical, mechanical, ventilation, train
control, traction power and communication systems, followed by systems
integration testing. The overall systems design is 86% complete, and
installation of a number of components is already underway. The contractor
has installed 5.6 miles of track, which is 31% of the total required.
Approximately 72% of the total contract value has been completed.

BART staff continue to perform Quality Assurance oversight of the
contractor. The soil compaction issue noted last quarter is still being
analyzed, with a report from the contractor expected this month. A second
issue concerns a 50-foot longitudinal crack in the subway tunnel ceiling
beneath a surface area where a large quantity of dirt was stockpiled. The
crack width decreased when the stockpile was reduced, but the contractor
will be required to remove the backfilled dirt to permit inspection of the
tunnel roof.

South San Francisco Station
This contract will build the surface level passenger concourse, a 1, 157
space parking garage and surface parking for 190 vehicles, and station
access and circulation roads. Its cost is estimated at $51 million. Final
design is underway and construction has begun on the foundation for the
parking structure. 11% of the contract work has been completed.

San Bruno Station
This contract will build the surface level passenger concourse, a 1,000
space parking garage, station access and circulation roads, and a joint
BART-City of San Bruno police facility. The contract cost is estimated at
$48.5 million, Approximately 15% of contract work has been completed.
Design work is 85% complete and the installation of piles for the parking
structure has been completed.

Millbrae Station
This contract covers construction of the surface-level station, which
includes an elevated concourse serving a center platform shared by BART
and Caltrain and individual platforms for BART and Caltrain. It also
includes a 2,100 space parking structure, surface parking for 900
vehicles, and access and circulation roads.

Construction of the concourse-level
Slab and columns was completed, and ' all four sections of the roof were
installed. Work on the parking structure has progressed to the 4th level,
This contract is currently estimated to cost $72.6 million, and is
approximately 66% complete. This contract is scheduled to be completed
October 1, 2001.

On-Airport BART Facilities
This work, which is being managed by the San Francisco Airport, covers
design and construction of the guideway crossing U.S. 101 and entering the
airport, and a 3-track, 2-platform station. Construction of the U.S. 101
overcrossing, and the BART/Airtrain combined guideway has been completed.
The station concourse construction is 90% complete. The schedule for this
work segment has been maintained from the last reporting period.

The cost of this work is budgeted at $123 million. Approximately $105
million has been spent to date; this segment of the project thus appears
to be within budget.

Other Work
Elements Right-of-Way (ROW) acquisition continues, with all of the
required 137 parcels under project control. 63 of the parcels were subject
to condemnation actions. BART has negotiated a final settlement for 49 of
these parcels and has a tentative settlement on 3 others. The projection
of total ROW cost was increased by $6 million in this past quarter based
upon recent settlement amounts.

Under the Full Funding Grant Agreement (FFGA), BART has committed to
expansions of its maintenance facilities in Daly City, Concord, and
Hayward. These improvements will reduce the vehicle maintenance queue
time, and thus allow the additional SFO/Millbrae service to be provided
with the existing fleet. The Concord shop expansion is underway. A Notice
to Proceed for the Daly City shop project is expected to be issued by
early February. The Hayward yard contract is currently being bid.

Budget

The expense table on page 12 of the BART Quarterly report shows the
revised Full Funding Grant Agreement budget. In addition, it includes a
column of estimated cost at completion for each line item. The final
column in this table shows costs incurred to date. Table 2, on page 13 of
the report, gives a summary of the status of funding by source.

The overall budget remains at $1,483 billion. The following table
summarizes the changes from the last quarter in the estimated cost at
completion for various line items.

Schedule Status

The timeline included in the FTA report (page 15) anticipates start-up of
revenue service on July 1, 2002. The Line, Trackwork, and Systems contract
is the critical path in the schedule. For several reporting quarters, BART
analysis of the LTS contract has revealed schedule slippage alternately
fluctuating between two and four months for civil construction. Based on
the informal September 2000 schedule update, a live month delay is now
projected for this activity.

The contractor is currently preparing a fourth revision to the schedule.
The systems portion of the contract is proceeding well, and may allow some
of the slippage in the LTS contract to be recovered.

BART staff will present a schedule update to the BART Board on December 7
and d will be available to brief the "MTC Programming and Allocations
Committee at its next meeting.

Status of Federal Actions

The approved FY 2001 federal budget includes the full amount specified in
the Full Funding Grant Agreement (FFGA) of $80 million for the SFO
Extension. BART anticipates submitting

--

Adrian Brandt
ESN 265-7878 / 408.495.7878

SL News Posting

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <3A2FE313...@americasm01.nt.com>,

Adrian Brandt <abr...@americasm01.nt.com> writes:

|> Quarterly BART/SFO status report to MTC
|> (from an OCR scan of a fax)

|> The overall budget remains at $1,483 billion. The following table

|> summarizes the changes from the last quarter in the estimated cost at
|> completion for various line items.

I knew BART was expensive, but a trillion and a half dollars!

David Nebenzahl

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
SL News Posting wrote:

> In article <3A2FE313...@americasm01.nt.com>,
> Adrian Brandt <abr...@americasm01.nt.com> writes:
> |>
> |> Quarterly BART/SFO status report to MTC
> |> (from an OCR scan of a fax)
>
> |> The overall budget remains at $1,483 billion. The following table
> |> summarizes the changes from the last quarter in the estimated cost at
> |> completion for various line items.
> |>

> I knew BART was expensive, but a trillion and a half dollars!

Must be that old US/UK million vs. billion confusion ...

D "or is it 'milliard'?" N

--
Life isn't fair, and that to bad, but people like you who whinn about
being percuted all the time actually make it worse for themselfs.

- RicSilver getting tongue-tied on ba.transportation

Loren Petrich

Dec 20, 2000, 2:37:41 AM12/20/00
<abr...@americasm01.nt.com> wrote:

> The subway box is now complete from the Colma tail track to the San Bruno
> Station. The subway construction has also been completed through the San
> Bruno Central Business District. To date, 4.1 miles of subway box have
> been completed, which is 72% of the total subway length for the project.

Meaning that the tunnel is now done in most of downtown San Bruno, I
presume.

> During the next quarter, the contractor is expected to complete the subway
> south from San Bruno to the start of the aerial segment in the West of
> Bayshore area. Work will then begin on the remaining segment from the San
> Bruno Station shell to 1-380 and the subway segment north of the Millbrae
> station.

Seems like there is still a bit of incomplete tunnel between the SB
station and the downtown SB tunnel.

> Construction of the San Bruno Station shell is nearing completion. In the
> West of Bayshore area, the south leg of the aerial wye is complete except
> for the parapet walls, and 38 of the 51 columns for the north wye have
> been completed. It is anticipated that the civil construction work under
> this contract will be completed by Spring 2001.

I hope that those parapet walls are not as high as the ones in the
Colma BART bridge, which are high enough to hide the BART trains. I
want to be able to get a view from those trackways.

> [a lot of support stuff that's 86% done...] The contractor

> has installed 5.6 miles of track, which is 31% of the total required.

That's about 18 mi of track for a 7-mi extension; complete double
track + 4 mi of track for the wye and SFO station.

So this means that 2.8 mi of tunnel have track in them, which is 1.3
mi short of the amount of tunnel box that's been done. This would mean
that most of the Colma-SB tunnel now has track, but that the tracks do
not extend past SB station. It seems as if it may be possible to run a
test train to SB station in a few months.

> ... A second

> issue concerns a 50-foot longitudinal crack in the subway tunnel ceiling
> beneath a surface area where a large quantity of dirt was stockpiled. The
> crack width decreased when the stockpile was reduced, but the contractor
> will be required to remove the backfilled dirt to permit inspection of the
> tunnel roof.

I wonder if part of the tunnel will have to be rebuilt.

> South San Francisco Station
> [surface stuff and garage...] 11% of the contract work has been completed.
>
> San Bruno Station
> [surface stuff and garage...]

> Approximately 15% of contract work has been completed.

> Millbrae Station [...]

> Construction of the concourse-level
> Slab and columns was completed, and ' all four sections of the roof were
> installed. Work on the parking structure has progressed to the 4th level,
> This contract is currently estimated to cost $72.6 million, and is
> approximately 66% complete. This contract is scheduled to be completed
> October 1, 2001.

Seems like a long time :-)

> On-Airport BART Facilities
> This work, which is being managed by the San Francisco Airport, covers
> design and construction of the guideway crossing U.S. 101 and entering the
> airport, and a 3-track, 2-platform station. Construction of the U.S. 101
> overcrossing, and the BART/Airtrain combined guideway has been completed.
> The station concourse construction is 90% complete. The schedule for this
> work segment has been maintained from the last reporting period.

Seems like it will be done in a few months.

> The timeline included in the FTA report (page 15) anticipates start-up of
> revenue service on July 1, 2002. The Line, Trackwork, and Systems contract
> is the critical path in the schedule. For several reporting quarters, BART
> analysis of the LTS contract has revealed schedule slippage alternately
> fluctuating between two and four months for civil construction. Based on
> the informal September 2000 schedule update, a live month delay is now
> projected for this activity.

> The contractor is currently preparing a fourth revision to the schedule.
> The systems portion of the contract is proceeding well, and may allow some
> of the slippage in the LTS contract to be recovered.

So the holdup is in installing all the support stuff -- electrical
cables and stuff like that.

--
Loren Petrich
pet...@netcom.com