Tasman West LRT extension to receive 1st car Saturday

Adrian Brandt

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
Just passing along some info from a VTA staffer in the rail division:

Biggie Crane will be placing the *first* VTA rail car on the new Tasman West
tracks on Saturday morning at 5:00 AM. The car is being trucked from San Jose.

The single car will be "placed" on the tracks near 101 & Ellis at about 5:00 AM,
but probably won't actually move from that location until about 7:00 or 8:00 AM.
It will travel *very* slowly to the Mountain View station, where plans are to
store it until May 5th when clearance testing and training will start.

So if you see a car parked in Mountain View next week, you'll know how it got
there and what it's there for...

--

Adrian Brandt
(408) 565-7291 / abr...@nortelnetworks.com

ctil...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
Adrian Brandt <abr...@americasm01.nt.com> wrote:

> So if you see a car parked in Mountain View next week, you'll know how it got
> there and what it's there for...

Cool-- I would have wondered how it got there with the large gaps of track &
catenary missing beyond Ellis & 101.

Today I saw one of the substations on a lowboy truck parked on the side of
237 just west of the 101 overpass, probably destined for somewhere near
Middlefield station?

Clem Tillier
ctil...@my-dejanews.com
Mountain View, California, USA

Jim Middleton

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
ctil...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Today I saw one of the substations on a lowboy truck parked on the side of
> 237 just west of the 101 overpass, probably destined for somewhere near
> Middlefield station?

Actually, the one located adjacent to Middlefield station was installed a few weeks
ago. The one you saw is probably destined for Manila/east end of the runway,
Java/Borregas or FairOaks/237

> Clem Tillier
> ctil...@my-dejanews.com
> Mountain View, California, USA

--
Jim Middleton
mailto:j...@lightrail.com
http://www.lightrail.com

qwerty

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
It's here, as of 9:30 am, Saturday. As I sit and type this the first rail car
is sitting right across the street at the Mountain View station. Thanks for the
information, and would appreciate any further updates as you here about them.

| Just passing along some info from a VTA staffer in the rail division:
|
| Biggie Crane will be placing the *first* VTA rail car on the new Tasman West
| tracks on Saturday morning at 5:00 AM. The car is being trucked from San
Jose.

| The single car will be "placed" on the tracks near 101 & Ellis at about 5:00
AM,
| but probably won't actually move from that location until about 7:00 or 8:00
AM.
| It will travel *very* slowly to the Mountain View station, where plans are to
| store it until May 5th when clearance testing and training will start.
|

| So if you see a car parked in Mountain View next week, you'll know how it got
| there and what it's there for...

Andy Chow

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
qwerty wrote in message ...

>It's here, as of 9:30 am, Saturday. As I sit and type this the first rail
car
>is sitting right across the street at the Mountain View station. Thanks
for the
>information, and would appreciate any further updates as you here about
them.

Earlier today, I have seen the LRV there as well. The station platform,
unlike Guadalupe stations, is at the same level with the first step of the
LRV. Also, I've seen the modified doors as well. I think the modified doors
would fold inward instead of outward like the existing cars, but I am not
100% sure.

----
NetJournal with Andy Chow and Friends
http://www.netcom.com/~c-2000/netjournal/home.html
NetJournal's San Jose State Commuter Students message board
http://www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb151171

Jim Middleton

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99

Andy Chow wrote:

> qwerty wrote in message ...
> >It's here, as of 9:30 am, Saturday. As I sit and type this the first rail
> car
> >is sitting right across the street at the Mountain View station. Thanks for
> the
> >information, and would appreciate any further updates as you here about them.
>
> Earlier today, I have seen the LRV there as well. The station platform,
> unlike Guadalupe stations, is at the same level with the first step of the
> LRV.

Yep - The bottom step was "raised" about 1" to make it level with the "raised"
platform.

> Also, I've seen the modified doors as well. I think the modified doors would
> fold inward instead of outward like the existing cars, but I am not 100% sure.

No - Doors fold out just like the existing Guadalupe cars.

Eric McCaughrin

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
In article <37013D80...@americasm01.nt.com>,

Adrian Brandt <abr...@americasm01.nt.com> wrote:

>It will travel *very* slowly to the Mountain View station, where plans are to
>store it until May 5th when clearance testing and training will start.
>
>So if you see a car parked in Mountain View next week, you'll know how it got
>there and what it's there for...

Isn't the VTA worried about the car getting vandalized, sitting out
there for several weeks?

Jim Middleton

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99

Eric McCaughrin wrote:

> >So if you see a car parked in Mountain View next week, you'll know how it got
> there and what it's there for...
>
> Isn't the VTA worried about the car getting vandalized, sitting out there for
> several weeks?

The Car is being monitored (guarded) 24 hours/day.