Fire on Empire Grade?

1 view

Chris Miller

Jun 11, 2008, 6:41:36 PM6/11/08

I haven't been able to confirm, but I here there's a fire up there.
Lots of activity on Firescan.net from BC to Scott's Valley, but the
recordings aren't playing right. Nothing in the Senile or Merc yet.
Just throwing this out there in case it's true.

Chris

Chris Miller

Jun 11, 2008, 6:53:27 PM6/11/08

A little bird just confirmed there is a fire in Bonnydoon on Martin
Road.

Chris

Queenie

Jun 11, 2008, 7:03:06 PM6/11/08

Huge plume of smoke is visible from the west side of town, It's
heading south. They're worried it could burn 2,000 acres if they
don't get it fast, according to the KSCO report.

~Queenie

Chris Miller

Jun 11, 2008, 7:07:50 PM6/11/08
Queenie wrote:
> Huge plume of smoke is visible from the west side of town, It's
> heading south. They're worried it could burn 2,000 acres if they
> don't get it fast, according to the KSCO report.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_9554156

Chris

Veronique

Jun 11, 2008, 7:38:35 PM6/11/08

Holy moly, that's what I saw coming back into town. Thanks for the
update.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Chris Miller

Jun 11, 2008, 7:40:49 PM6/11/08
Veronique wrote:

> Holy moly, that's what I saw coming back into town. Thanks for the
> update.

There's live chopper video on http://cbs5.com/, it's going to be a
bad one. It's grown to 50 acres plus in one hour.

Chris

BearCreekMan

Jun 11, 2008, 7:53:40 PM6/11/08

"Chris Miller" <inv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

A bit of the plume is visible in my webcam. Too bad the camera is on the
roof otherwise I would move it to get the big-ole arse plumes in better
view. About six miles from my location.

http://www.boulder-creek.com/webphoto.jpg

Veronique

Jun 11, 2008, 8:56:01 PM6/11/08
On Jun 11, 4:53 pm, "BearCreekMan" <You_got_s...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Chris Miller" <inva...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Huge plume west of downtown Santa Cruz, very visible from the Farmer's
Market.

BearCreekMan

Jun 11, 2008, 8:59:42 PM6/11/08

"Veronique" <veroniq...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Just posted a photo from my deck ... at http://www.boulder-creek.com taken
at 4:55pm.

Veronique

Jun 11, 2008, 9:08:38 PM6/11/08
On Jun 11, 5:59 pm, "BearCreekMan" <You_got_s...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Veronique" <veroniqueuni...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Grown to 300 acres, heading southerly.

'Course, there's something oh-so-typical that I heard this on KUSP,
and the report was cut off to make way for a jazz program.

BearCreekMan

Jun 11, 2008, 10:37:13 PM6/11/08

"Veronique" <veroniq...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Plume from my deck has greatly diminished at 19:30 which means its either
coming under controlled or moved further south to south-west. Thank goodness
the winds are low.

Ben Lomond RAWS is reporting 4mph winds with 12mph gusts. Relative humidity
has increased from 16% when the fire started to about 23% at 18:50.

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=BNDC1

Geoff Miller

Jun 11, 2008, 11:03:26 PM6/11/08

Queenie <queen...@pacbell.net> writes:

> Huge plume of smoke is visible from the west side of town,
> It's heading south. They're worried it could burn 2,000
> acres if they don't get it fast, according to the KSCO
> report.

I saw the smoke as I crested Mount Hermon Road at about 3:30,
on my way home from work. At first I thought it was from one
of the trains at Roaring Camp. Then I descended the grade
behind Felton Fair and got a full view of it.

"It's the end a'the world!"

Geoff

--
"The problem isn't that Johnny can't read. The problem isn't
even that Johnny can't think. The problem is that Johnny

Veronique

Jun 12, 2008, 1:17:57 AM6/12/08

Sentinel is reporting 700 acres and expecting it to double to 1500
before it is contained.

> Ben Lomond RAWS is reporting 4mph winds with 12mph gusts. Relative humidity
> has increased from 16% when the fire started to about 23% at 18:50.
>
> http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=BNDC1

Hope everyone up in them thar hills has got their composite roof and
cleared space around their houses.

BCFD36

Jun 12, 2008, 1:21:26 AM6/12/08
On Jun 11, 4:40 pm, Chris Miller <inva...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Veronique wrote:
> > Holy moly, that's what I saw coming back into town. Thanks for the
> > update.
>
> There's live chopper video onhttp://cbs5.com/, it's going to be a

> bad one. It's grown to 50 acres plus in one hour.
>
> Chris

I heard a report it is at 1000+ acres. We have two engines there with
6 people total. Both engines are doing structure protection, but in
different areas. They are on different strike teams.

They also requested our Water Tender, then turned it around about the
time it got to Alba at Empire Grade. Our guys were not happy. Later,
Cal Fire was calling for more Water Tenders. But not ours for some
reason. The mind boggles.

D. Scruggs

BearCreekMan

Jun 13, 2008, 2:45:41 PM6/13/08

"BCFD36" <bcf...@aol.com> wrote in message

Talking with some folks in town and they expressed frustration with a lack
of information about the fire. I guess yesterday the downtown area filled up
with smoke (from offshore winds?) and some of them freaked. I told them that
they should go to the fire station and observe the guys there. If the
fireboyz looked panicky, then its a sign that they should be concerned.
Anyway, it could help if the fire department distributed some information
about the fire. Maybe post "Latest Info" on the BCFD website. And perhaps
post a link to a simple text file so other community websites (such as my
own) can link to it as well. Information distribution could be improved. Did
the fire station get any calls from panicky citizenry?

I actually was bit frustrated myself by the lack of information (and panicky
family folk) which I mitigated by pulling up the Ben Lomond RAWS station
data (wind speed and direction), satellite photos (verify direction of
plume), Google Earth (location and distance) and the meager information on
CalFire website on Wednesday afternoon. I was able to form an opinion which
calmed my wife and kids (and relatives) and prevented us (me) from a forced
little bit of information goes a long way to improve clear thinking.

Jeannie

Jun 13, 2008, 10:57:44 PM6/13/08
You're probably dealing with more panic at home this evening; the sky
has been a very strange color for the past couple of hours, but no
smell of smoke. Should be an interesting sunset.

Jeannie

BearCreekMan

Jun 14, 2008, 1:23:15 AM6/14/08

"Jeannie" <hpje...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> You're probably dealing with more panic at home this evening; the sky
> has been a very strange color for the past couple of hours, but no
> smell of smoke. Should be an interesting sunset.

Yep, I had to show the wife the satellite photos and the Los Padres burn
site (in infrared the location shows up in white pixels). Also this blurb
from the technical weather discussion:

SATELLITE SHOWS STRATUS AND FOG ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST AND CLEAR
SKIES INLAND. AN EXCEPTION IS SMOKE FROM THE LOS PADRES WILDFIRE OVER
MONTEREY COUNTY WHICH IS FANNING OUT TO THE NORTH. A LIGHT SOUTHERLY
FLOW IN THE LOWER LEVELS MAY SPREAD THE SMOKE UP INTO THE SOUTH AND
EAST BAY AREAS IN THE NEXT COUPLE HOURS.

So the smoke cloud is most likely from the Los Padres (Indians Fire) coupled
with the offshore flow.

Geoff Miller

Jun 14, 2008, 1:36:54 PM6/14/08

Jeannie <hpje...@yahoo.com> writes:

And it was cold, too. There was sort of a "mini nucear winter"
effect thanks to the cloud cover. It actually got to be a bit
uncomfortable to sit out on the deck after awhile.

Geoff

--
"A British advertising man with a proper education
can make magazine copy for ribbed condoms sound