NY Times on Trader Joe's

George Grapman

Mar 8, 2006, 11:54:16 PM3/8/06
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/dining/08joes.html

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Dennis

Mar 9, 2006, 1:12:08 AM3/9/06
Has anyone tried the pretzels stuffed with peanut butter? Any other TJ
favorites?

George Grapman wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/dining/08joes.html

George Gapman

Mar 9, 2006, 1:32:25 AM3/9/06
Dennis wrote:
> Has anyone tried the pretzels stuffed with peanut butter? Any other TJ
> favorites?

Garden Patch-Think V-8 with lemon juice vinegar and bell peppers

Bantry Bay frozen mussels in garlic/butter sauce.

Almost any cheese.

Cream cheese and lox spread but buy the bagels elsewhere.

Pete Fraser

Mar 9, 2006, 9:18:49 AM3/9/06
"George Gapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message

> Almost any [TJ's] cheese.

You've had much better luck than I have.
I've found the standard stuff (Boursin, etc) good value,
but some of their cheddars and similar have the taste
and consistency of soap. I'd much rather pay twice the
money, and get a cheese that's ten times better.

BTW, I haven't seen Boursin au Poivre around recently.
Anyone seen it?

notbob

Mar 9, 2006, 10:22:10 AM3/9/06
On 2006-03-09, Pete Fraser <pfr...@covad.net> wrote:

> but some of their cheddars and similar have the taste
> and consistency of soap. I'd much rather pay twice the
> money, and get a cheese that's ten times better.

Up till about 6 mos ago, TJ's carried the best yellow extra sharp
cheddar (NY?) you could buy. It was aged four years and was truly
excellent. The only cheddar I've tasted better was a five year old
Vermont yel xtra shrp cheddar Raley's used to carry around the Xmas
holidays. Both are no longer available. A recent trip to the Cheese
Board yielded nothing even remotely close.

nb

Marcella Peek

Mar 9, 2006, 10:53:52 AM3/9/06
In article <G6udnStAvfc...@comcast.com>,
Dennis <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried the pretzels stuffed with peanut butter? Any other TJ
> favorites?

The frozen garlic in little ice cube trays. One cube equals a clove and
no preservatives/vinegar etc added like the jarred stuff.

Frozen Thai shrimp potstickers (though I think the package says goyza or
something)

Frozen sliced, breaded eggplant for quick eggplant parmaesan

Apple blossoms - individual apple pie/crisp dessert things

Their jam in the square jars

Fire roasted canned tomatoes

Blackberry crush juice

Not pasturized tangerine juice in season

marcella

Karen

Mar 9, 2006, 11:34:50 AM3/9/06

Marcella Peek wrote:

> The frozen garlic in little ice cube trays. One cube equals a clove and
> no preservatives/vinegar etc added like the jarred stuff.

Love these! They also have basil and parsley, too!

> Frozen sliced, breaded eggplant for quick eggplant parmaesan

I didn't know about this product! Will have to check it out. I am not
very successful at making this from scratch.

When at TJs, I have an inkling to pick up dolmas (the deli and the
jarred are both good) more often than not.

And, TJ's three-bean salad is my current favorite brand of that type.

The flowers are great. The 99-cent bunch of daffodils that I got
recently have lasted a long time.

And, there's a grated 4-cheese blend that's great to have on-hand to
spinkle on salad or pasta or their spinach pie.

The 3-layered hummus (reg, cilantro, spicy) with their lime tortilla
chips is quite good.

And, the peppered wild smoked salmon on the peppered plain crackers is
good.

The 3-cheese marinara sauce is the best, too.

Cilantro salad dressing is a winner. Besides using on salad (great with
avocado, tomato, mixed greens, etc.), the cilantro dressing is good to
add to chilaquiles, breakfast burritos, black bean salad, etc.

Karen

Eddie Grove

Mar 9, 2006, 11:42:58 AM3/9/06
"Pete Fraser" <pfr...@covad.net> writes:

> "George Gapman" <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote in message
>
>> Almost any [TJ's] cheese.
>
> You've had much better luck than I have.
> I've found the standard stuff (Boursin, etc) good value,
> but some of their cheddars and similar have the taste
> and consistency of soap. I'd much rather pay twice the
> money, and get a cheese that's ten times better.

I've found that my standby, mushroom brie, just doesn't taste right
when I buy it at TJ's, even though it appears identical to what I buy
at Cosentino's. I don't buy cheese at TJ's any more.

Eddie

mangoboy

Mar 9, 2006, 11:41:26 AM3/9/06
like most TJ products, i've bought them until i've burned out on them.
the pretzels are decent, then i went on to the sesame wafer thingies.

still my favorite TJ snack is the spiced tortilla chips. they're way
better than dorritos any day.

we still buy their bottled juices by the basket loads. the SO loves the
strawberry lemonade (i do too) but i think the peach drink is my favorite
so far. the chocolate almond milk is nice for really boring breakfast
cereals.

orlando

In article <G6udnStAvfc...@comcast.com>,

Todd Michel McComb

Mar 9, 2006, 12:31:38 PM3/9/06
In article <1210ea0...@news.supernews.com>,

Pete Fraser <pfr...@covad.net> wrote:
>I've found the standard stuff (Boursin, etc) good value, but some
>of their cheddars and similar have the taste and consistency of
>soap.

I regularly buy the Cabot cheddar that TJ has for cheap. That's a
favorite for me. If you're talking about TJ's own brand of cheddar,
I agree, I didn't like it. Since "taste and consistency of soap"
sounds about right, now that you mention it, you probably are talking
about the TJ's own brand "organic" cheddar.

larkin1734

Mar 9, 2006, 12:45:28 PM3/9/06

When Trader Joe's drops an item, I usually miss it for a while but life
goes on as I find an acceptable substitute. However, the one thing I
wish they would bring back is their blood orange juice in the
refrigerated case. It was a seasonal item TJ would stock during citrus
season in the winter. I haven't found a replacement yet.

--
To email me, remove the invalid word in my address & change net to com.

Stef

Mar 9, 2006, 4:53:44 PM3/9/06
Dennis <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Has anyone tried the pretzels stuffed with peanut butter? Any other TJ
>favorites?

The pretzels w/ peanut butter are a little dry.

My latest favorite find at TJ's is the hot and sour soup in a glass jar.
I NEVER thought hot and sour soup from a jar would taste good, but it
tastes just the way it should taste. I usually add tofu and swirl a raw
egg into the hot soup. I buy loads of it every time I go because I'm
afraid they'll discontinue it if I don't. :-)

I'm also addicted to their frozen green chile and cheese tamales, and
their whole-milk cottage cheese is far and away the best of any of the
brands I've tried.

And their organic OJ is the best too.

The cheeses are definitely unreliable though. The last package of pepper
jack I got tasted like wax.

--
Stef ** st...@cat-and-dragon.com <*> http://www.cat-and-dragon.com/stef
**

Karen

Mar 9, 2006, 5:18:06 PM3/9/06

Stef wrote:
> I buy loads of it every time I go because I'm
> afraid they'll discontinue it if I don't. :-)

My coworker is working on your theory but with TJ's wasabi mayonnaise,
which supposedly was going to be discontinued, but still hasn't.

She's stockpiling the wasabi mayonnaise like there's no tomorrow.

Karen

Mark Mellin

Mar 9, 2006, 7:57:31 PM3/9/06
In article <1141942685....@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
"Karen" wrote:

Vanishing products appears to be part of their business model, not
just due to limited availability from small suppliers. From the article,
quoting their vice president for merchandising:

"The bottom 10 percent [in sales] is always being rotated out.
It's painful but necessary, because it ensures that we always have
new products for our customers to get interested in."

- Mark

--
Mark Mellin ULmar 9 - 5470
Mailstop 408-85 Menlo Park, CA 94025-3493 USA

Marcella Peek

Mar 9, 2006, 8:27:35 PM3/9/06
In article
<markmellin-24E26...@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
Mark Mellin <markm...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "The bottom 10 percent [in sales] is always being rotated out.
> It's painful but necessary, because it ensures that we always have
> new products for our customers to get interested in."
>
> - Mark

The frozen garlic was discontinued a while back. According to one of
the workers at the San Jose (Almaden) store it was brought back because
so many customers complained. He said it was the first time Trader
Joe's brought back something because of customer complaint. If that is
indeed true it seems a strange model to not listen to your customers as
a rule.

marcella

Peter Lawrence

Mar 9, 2006, 9:34:11 PM3/9/06

Just because that was the first time Trader Joe's brought back
something because of customer complaints doesn't mean that Trader Joe's
doesn't listen to its customers' suggestions or complaints. It
probably just means if the product that you want back was in the bottom
10 percent of sales, the likelihood of you getting it back was probably
nil.

IOW, the squeaky wheel in Trader Joe's DOES NOT get the oil, just the
larger ones do. ;-)

- Peter

trippinkpj

Mar 9, 2006, 10:49:21 PM3/9/06
I like their shredded sharp cheddar, balsamic vinagrette, quart soups
and broths, black lentils (dried), chicken and cheese tamales,
tangerine juice, etc.

Ian MacLure

Mar 10, 2006, 12:42:37 AM3/10/06
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote in news:V_2dnbgCrca_1Y3ZRVn-
i...@comcast.com:

I suspect you mean the 5yr old Black Diamond Cheddar from Al-Qanada.
Which, by the way, you cannot get in Al-Qanada.

IBM

Todd Michel McComb

Mar 10, 2006, 12:51:38 AM3/10/06
In article <Xns9781DCD677...@129.250.168.14>,

Ian MacLure <i...@svpal.org> wrote:
>I suspect you mean the 5yr old Black Diamond Cheddar from Al-Qanada.

Ah, that's a pretty good cheese. The Lucky here had it for a while,
of all things, but those times are long gone. It's not among my
favorites, but I wouldn't complain.

notbob

Mar 10, 2006, 1:07:48 AM3/10/06
On 2006-03-10, Ian MacLure <i...@svpal.org> wrote:

> I suspect you mean the 5yr old Black Diamond Cheddar from Al-Qanada.
> Which, by the way, you cannot get in Al-Qanada.

Who or what is Al-Qanada?

nb

ll

Mar 10, 2006, 9:59:34 AM3/10/06
notbob wrote:
> Who or what is Al-Qanada?

You forgot the "eh?".

Ob.Mexican.food: Taco truck on the Hayward/Castro Valley border.
That peculiar corner where Center, Grove, and a third street
intersect. It's next to the 76 station. $1.25 tacos.
Pretty decent.

Al Eisner

Mar 10, 2006, 4:01:53 PM3/10/06

Are such decisions by TJ's company-wide, or is there some leeway for
individual stores. The store I go to has slips of paper to fill out
for such requests. Although I have to admit that the couple of times
I did that didn't seem to lead to anything.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

trippinkpj

Mar 10, 2006, 4:39:33 PM3/10/06
They do seem to vary a little from store to store. I'm near the
Almaden/ Blossom Hill store, and have visited the Santa Cruz store a
couple times in the past few months. I like their selection better.

Al Eisner

Mar 10, 2006, 6:35:18 PM3/10/06
On Thu, 10 Mar 2006, Ian MacLure wrote:

> I suspect you mean the 5yr old Black Diamond Cheddar from Al-Qanada.
> Which, by the way, you cannot get in Al-Qanada.

That's a nice cheese. I hadn't realized it was made by Osama bin Cheddar.
(Is he related to Rogue Cheddar?)

JC Dill

Mar 10, 2006, 8:08:50 PM3/10/06
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:12:08 -0800, Dennis <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any other TJ favorites?

Organic soup boxes, dried berry mix, chocolate covered fruit blend
(strawberries, cherries, appricots, blueberries)
Spiced apple cider - at parties in the winter we heat it in a
crockpot with a ladle and mugs for self-service, with a bottle of rum
nearby for those who want an "adult" drink.
The thai noodle boxes (peanut, pad-thai) and dried cheese ravioli
packs are a pantry staple.
Chicken tamales, gyoza, and edamame are freezer staples.

jc

sf

Mar 10, 2006, 11:31:30 PM3/10/06
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:12:08 -0800, Dennis wrote:

> Has anyone tried the pretzels stuffed with peanut butter?

Yes! They are VERY addicting..... so I don't buy them, I only eat
them when someone puts them in front of me.

sf

Mar 10, 2006, 11:35:01 PM3/10/06
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 07:53:52 -0800, Marcella Peek wrote:

> The frozen garlic in little ice cube trays. One cube equals a clove and
> no preservatives/vinegar etc

Thanks for the heads up.

Marcella Peek

Mar 10, 2006, 11:57:23 PM3/10/06
In article <4hk412l250kn7qulk...@4ax.com>,
sf <see_repl...@nospam.com> wrote:

They also have them covered in chocolate. I just don't buy them; safer
that way.

marcella

Dennis

Mar 11, 2006, 12:11:09 AM3/11/06
Do they have them (peanut butter pretzels) covered in chocolate?

Stopped by TJ's today. Picked up the pretzels, tangerine juice, tamales
(which I already love), thai dumplings and a blue corn cornbread mix.
Pretzels are good. Expected something dry but they arent (the pretzels).

Mark Mellin

Mar 11, 2006, 1:59:55 PM3/11/06
In article
<Pine.GSO.4.58.06...@flora04.slac.stanford.edu>,

Al Eisner wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2006, Ian MacLure wrote:
>
> > I suspect you mean the 5yr old Black Diamond Cheddar from Al-Qanada.
> > Which, by the way, you cannot get in Al-Qanada.
>
> That's a nice cheese. I hadn't realized it was made by Osama bin Cheddar.
> (Is he related to Rogue Cheddar?)

Nope, but the rogue people do make a tasty Oregonzola.

- Mark

--
Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA

Mark Mellin

Mar 11, 2006, 2:03:10 PM3/11/06

Our taco truck, Peralta, finally returned this winter, though hours
are still sporadic. Tasty dollar tacos, on what has to be the world's
smallest tortillas. Look for it on your way to San Mateo's BevMo,
East Hillsdale at Saratoga, parked in front of the Chevron station.

Marcella Peek

Mar 11, 2006, 7:51:37 PM3/11/06
In article <DuidnckcgejVwY_Z...@comcast.com>,
Dennis <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do they have them (peanut butter pretzels) covered in chocolate?

Yep. Very wicked. Chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels.

marcella

Ian MacLure

Mar 11, 2006, 9:24:24 PM3/11/06
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote in

Al-Qanada where live the Al-Qanadians.
You know.... Kanuckistan.
That nation to the north of us.

Ian MacLure

Mar 11, 2006, 9:25:35 PM3/11/06
ll <lksl...@REMOVEcomcastTHIS.net> wrote in

> notbob wrote:
>> Who or what is Al-Qanada?
>
> You forgot the "eh?".

Its a regional affectation from the deserts of
Central Kanuckistan.

notbob

Mar 11, 2006, 11:06:55 PM3/11/06
On 2006-03-12, Ian MacLure <i...@svpal.org> wrote: