40 restaurants in downtown Mountain View

Max Hauser

Oct 19, 2007, 6:18:42 PM10/19/07
Might as well post this to ba.food too, if only to show Mark Lipton what
he's missing :-). Downtown MV now has the densest restaurant district in
the southern part (if not all) of the Bay Area. The Zolotars' independent
index at www.mountainviewca.net currently shows 92 eateries of all kinds
downtown, a high-water mark. (Two years ago it was 72.) All within easy
walk of each other and most near the Mountain View Caltrain and light-rail
station. Here are brief comments on 40 of them that I know (from between 2
and 200 visits each, unless noted). Stars * mark places I think especially
worth your attention.

* 3TA, 156 Castro St, (650) 988-1382 Asian "fusion"
-- One lunch recently. Eye-openingly good and creative Amarin offshoot
(pronounced "three-ta," I think). Spicy noodles with tuna chunks, vegs,
green peppercorns on stalk; duck curry; many appetizers; these dishes
generous and very good.

* Amarin, 174 Castro St, (650) 988-9323 Thai
-- The local, very good Thai restaurant to which others are routinely
compared.

Amber Cafe, 600 W El Camino Real, (650) 968-1751 Indian
-- MV outpost of the Amber India group in the region and unusual with its
"Indian pizzas" and other casual offerings, all good so far.

Amici's, 790 Castro St, (650) 961-6666 Pizza
-- Not your average pizza joint -- interesting toppings -- not wild
mushrooms, but almost. Pretty good pasta dishes tasted so far including
creditable pesto and meat sauces.

Bangkok Spoon, 702 Villa St, (650) 968-2038 Thai
-- Pleasant neighborhood Thai restaurant, good rice-noodle dishes.

Cafe Baklava, 341 Castro St, (650) 969-3835 "Mediterranean"
-- Popular upscale, actually Turkish, bistro. Various wraps, and things
served over pilafs with grilled vegetables.

* Cafe Yulong, 743 W Dana St, (650) 960-1677 Chinese
-- Consistent Chinese winner of _MV Voice's_ best-restaurants poll in
Chinese category. James and Miya Pei are from Shandong province and offer
unusual dishes and styles -- don't go there and order your favorites from
elsewhere, ask their advice.

California Roadhouse, 401 Castro St, (650) 254-8981 American / bar and
grill
-- Bit of sports bar with steaks and salads and sandwiches; competent in a
few visits, not atmospheric.

* Cantankerous Fish, 420 Castro St, (650) 966-8124 Seafood with new bar and
bar menu
-- Completely new menu and layout after recent remodel. New chef Ryan
Fillhardt loves "small plates" and filled menu with them, some very
creative; bar menu currently one of the best deals in town in "happy hour"
4-6 and after 9PM weekends, when the $7-$9 bar small plates are $5 each, and
some are very substantial -- try the Ahi roll or the shrimp ceviche tostadas
or the zucchini cakes. Good French fries too.

Cascal, 400 Castro St, (650) 940-9500 Spanish
-- Pleasant atmosphere, based roughly on a Spanish tapas bar. Most I know
prefer the new expanded Cantankerous, next door, for food.

Chef Liu, 236 Castro St, (650) 938-2968 Chinese
-- Specialty is hand-pulled noodles, in noodle soups, chao mein, etc.

* Chez TJ, 938 Villa St, (650) 964-7466 High-end international (often
mislabeled nowadays as "French")
-- The local high-end restaurant, latest chef Chris Kostow very capable; one
star in 2007 Michelin; great for relaxed, special-occasion dinners in its
house setting.

Clarke's, 615 W El Camino Real, (650) 967-0851 American
-- Assemble your own garnish for burgers and other offerings. Real, modest,
good, hardworking staff. Grilled sausages (Polish, Louisiana Hot,
Frankfurters) come split, grilled flat, served on French roll, with or
without tomatoes; you build further garnish.

* Dana Street Roasting Co., 744 W Dana St, (650) 390-9638 Coffee and light
foods
-- Espressos, light meals, salads, sandwiches; to coffee shops what Yulong
is to Chinese, the regular annual Voice poll winner for coffee. Big
communal table sometimes serves as ad-hoc annex for city or neighborhood
committees. Roasts, even imports, fresh beans. Free local Wi-Fi, jazz some
evenings including some fairly serious talent.

Don Giovanni, 235 Castro St, (650) 961-9749 Italian
-- Turkish ownership and chef, like many Bay Area "Mediterranean" and
Italian restaurants; big spaces for banquets, have eaten well there.

Frankie Johnnie & Luigi, 939 W El Camino Real, (650) 967-5384 Italian
-- Pleasantly hyperactive variant of an old-fashioned US southern-Italian
restaurant.

Fu Lam Mum, 246 Castro St, (650) 967-1689 Chinese
-- Old line seafood Chinese, inexpensive, good quality.

Gelato Classico, 241 Castro St, (650) 969-2900 Frozen desserts
-- Proprietor sometimes serves up philosophy with the gelatos.

Golden Wok, 895 Villa St (650) 969-8232 Chinese
-- Lots of dim sum available on weekends, not bad, have not used it much for
other things.

Gyro's House, 212 Castro St, (650) 940-9316 Mediterranean
-- Turkish grill, simple layout but some good food: Try the Iskender
(Alexander) platter.

Hangen Szechuan, 134 Castro St, (650) 964-8881 Chinese
-- Another Castro St. institution; only one visit so far, lunch, was not
bad.

* Hunan Chili, 102 Castro St, (650) 969-8968 Chinese
-- Outstanding hot savory Ma Po tofu, subject of past postings here (one
customer comes regularly only for that) and other spicy dishes and "Chinese"
Chinese dishes -- with "variety meats," etc. --that you don't see on some
gringo-oriented menus. Restaurant featured on a KPIX-TV special on
good-value Bay Area restaurants.

Kapp's, 191 Castro St, (650) 961-1491 Pizza variations
-- Pizza kitchen and bar with diverse beers on tap, pizzas, calzones, and an
unusual "baked stuffed" sandwich that works very well, I recommend it.
Classic looking bar.

King of Krung Siam, 194 Castro St, (650) 960-7077 Thai
-- Tough competition from Amarin nearby, but have had several excellent
lively meals here too. Nick Chaput, owner of Dana Street Roasting Co.,
first drew attention to the Angel's Wings and other serious "appetizers" at
King of Krung.

Le Boulanger, 650 Castro St, (650) 961-1787 Bakery/Cafe/Deli
-- Competent sandwiches, especially for take-out or quantity; fresh
sourdough loaves and rolls daily.

* Maru Ichi, 368 Castro St, (650) 564-9931 Japanese Ramen house
-- One of two real Japanese noodle-soup houses, fresh noodles made
constantly, very satisfying, cold noodle bowls in summer and a truly wicked
"spicy miso" hot noodle soup. (You have been warned.)

* Nami Nami, 240 Castro St (650) 964-6990 Japanese
-- New elegant, different Japanese restaurant, very good in two visits.

New China Delight, 360 Castro St (650) 961-6635 Chinese
-- Elegant Chinese, with Shanghai specialties you don't find elsewhere.

* Queen's House, 273 Castro St, (650) 960-0580 Chinese
-- Family-run hole-in-the-wall, good soups and specialties, does lots of
take-out filled-dumpling business with Chinese customers, ask about that.

Red Rock Coffee Co., 201 Castro St, (650) 967-4473 Coffee and light foods
-- Very competent espresso house in my experience -- good cappuccinos. Lots
of people running computers on Wi-Fi. Sandwiches daily, free Wi-Fi, music
some evenings. Chocolate truffles offered for sale or to put in your
coffee, if you like that sort of thing.

Rose Market, 1060 Castro St, (650) 960-1900 Market with deli
-- Persian market on other side of el Camino from most of the entries here.
Grilled skewer specialties for take-out only, popular at lunch.

* Ryowa, 859 Villa St, (650) 965-8829 Japanese Ramen house
-- The other Japanese fresh-noodle-soup place, good, crowded for lunch like
Maru Ichi.

Spice Islands, 210 Hope St, (650) 961-0628 Singaporean
-- Unusual specialties, interesting, unique.

* Sushi Tomi, 635 W Dana St, (650) 968-3227 Japanese
-- A real Japanese master chef, does omikase feasts by request; enormous
fish and sushi selection. Popular, crowded at lunch.

Tied House, 954 Villa St, (650) 965-2739 Brewpub
-- I like the fresh beer, but food has been consistently, relentlessly dull
for years; moreover everyone says so, including regulars and former staff.
Actually not just former.

* Totoro, 841 Villa St, (650) 691-0796 Korean
-- Outstanding comfort food (the core of Korean cooking), hotpots, grilled
marinated meats and fish. Try the tofu and mushroom hotpot.

Vaso Azzurro, 108 Castro St, (650) 940-1717 Italian
-- Established by two cousins (Turkish, naturally); became a local
underground favorite and excellent value. The cousins sold it not long ago,
some staff remained including in kitchen, haven't visited since sale.

W.g. Grinders, 142 Castro St, (650) 390-9388 Sub (long sandwich) shop and
bakery
-- Recent, a sandwich chain from the East, they often bake the sandwiches
after assembly, sell by length.

* Xanh, 185 Castro St, (650) 964-1888 Vietnamese
-- Slightly pricey, yet still good-value, at lunch because offerings are
complex and elegantly presented and often have lots of little garnishes. No
dinner
experience there.

Zucca, 186 Castro St, (650) 864-9940 Mediterranean
-- Upscale bistro with pleasant bar in front.

Karen

Oct 19, 2007, 6:42:25 PM10/19/07
On Oct 19, 3:18 pm, "Max Hauser" <maxREM...@THIStdl.com> wrote:
> Might as well post this to ba.food too, if only to show Mark Lipton what
> he's missing :-). Downtown MV now has the densest restaurant district in
> the southern part (if not all) of the Bay Area. The Zolotars' independent
> index atwww.mountainviewca.netcurrently shows 92 eateries of all kinds
> downtown, a high-water mark.

Crazy man!

I live walking distance to dt mv and I never dine out there. In the
last two weeks, I've eaten at Sultana's and Jeffrey's in Menlo Park,
Fiesta del Mar in MV, and The Fish Market in Palo Alto, and Frankie
Johnny and Luigis in MV on ECR. I don't know why, but have always
avoided Castro Street.

Maybe tonight!...

Karen

axlq

Oct 19, 2007, 7:13:33 PM10/19/07
In article <1192833745.9...@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

If you can walk there, why? There are many fine, fine restaurants
of which to partake. Better to walk there than park, although there
always seems to be space in the parking garages, and parking is
free.

To me (who lives 1 block away from Castro, on the Moffet side of
the tracks) proximitry to downtown is the major benefit of living
there. About 1/3 of our dining out is in Mountain View. Some of my
favorites:

I'm happy to report that Yellow Ginger (Moffet and Central, 1 block
from the end of Castro) seems to be finding its groove; the food is
fantastic compared to when they opened.

Zucca is always a favorite for Italian, and one of the few places that
serve rabbit. We had one of our anniversary dinners there.

We celebrated Her birthday at Chez TJ, went all out with the biggest
menu and wine pairings. Not something we're likely to do again but
we went away happy. I was not prepared for the quantity of wine I
was expected to consume - one glass per course, and there were, like
9 courses.

Queen House is a crowded little Chinese bistro that make their own
noodles. My asian wife likes it a lot, finds it quite authentic and
reasonably priced.

Cascal is also a favorite of ours; I grew rather fond of their
seafood and noodles cooked in squid ink. It sounds gross, makes
your mouth turn black, but the taste is addictive.

Golden Wok (diagonally from Chez TJ) has decent dim sum on weekends.
Not the best, but good enough to offset the burden of going to
Dynasty in Cupertino, or Milpitas, or that place in Millbrae (which
in my opinion is THE best dim sum).

There are a few "experimental" restaurants there now (I'm thinking
of an Asian/fusion place that's rather loud), which are good to try
once, and you may as well try them because they may not last long.

-A

axlq

Oct 19, 2007, 7:26:52 PM10/19/07
In article <13hiba2...@corp.supernews.com>,

Max Hauser <maxR...@THIStdl.com> wrote:
>* 3TA, 156 Castro St, (650) 988-1382 Asian "fusion"
>-- One lunch recently. Eye-openingly good and creative Amarin offshoot

The only thing that drove me out before I sat down was the volume of
noise. Went back mid-week and it was better. Creatively good in a
pretentious kind of way, was my impression.

>* Cantankerous Fish, 420 Castro St, (650) 966-8124 Seafood with new bar and
>bar menu
>-- Completely new menu and layout after recent remodel. New chef Ryan
>Fillhardt loves "small plates" and filled menu with them, some very
>creative; bar menu currently one of the best deals in town in "happy hour"
>4-6 and after 9PM weekends, when the $7-$9 bar small plates are $5 each, and
>some are very substantial -- try the Ahi roll or the shrimp ceviche tostadas
>or the zucchini cakes. Good French fries too.

Been there twice, but not since the changeover. Earlier it seemed like
a place where the elderly would go for dinner.

>Cascal, 400 Castro St, (650) 940-9500 Spanish
>-- Pleasant atmosphere, based roughly on a Spanish tapas bar. Most I know
>prefer the new expanded Cantankerous, next door, for food.

I see the opposite. Cascal is true latin cuisine, whereas
Cantankerous Fish is American seafood. Both are good in their own
way. I find Cascal more exotic (and they have this dish of seafod
and noodles cooked in squid ink, kind of in the style of black
rissoto, that is downright addictive).

>Golden Wok, 895 Villa St (650) 969-8232 Chinese
>-- Lots of dim sum available on weekends, not bad, have not used it much for
>other things.

Agreed. Their normal Chinese menu is normal fare that you'd expect,
but the weekend dim sum is quite good.

>* Maru Ichi, 368 Castro St, (650) 564-9931 Japanese Ramen house
>-- One of two real Japanese noodle-soup houses, fresh noodles made
>constantly, very satisfying, cold noodle bowls in summer and a truly wicked
>"spicy miso" hot noodle soup. (You have been warned.)

Yes, we eat there occasionally and like it, although for good ramen
it's tough to beat Kahoo and Halu Ramen, both near the intersection
of I-280 and Saratoga Rd.

>* Queen's House, 273 Castro St, (650) 960-0580 Chinese
>-- Family-run hole-in-the-wall, good soups and specialties, does lots of
>take-out filled-dumpling business with Chinese customers, ask about that.

Queen House is my wife's favorite for authentic Chinese.

>Spice Islands, 210 Hope St, (650) 961-0628 Singaporean
>-- Unusual specialties, interesting, unique.

Facing competition from Yellow Ginger a few blocks away on Moffet.
Between the two, I'd say Spice Islands offers a better price for a
good meal, but Yellow Ginger concentrates on high quality.

>Tied House, 954 Villa St, (650) 965-2739 Brewpub
>-- I like the fresh beer, but food has been consistently, relentlessly dull
>for years; moreover everyone says so, including regulars and former staff.

I dunno... I find the smoked salmon fish and chips rather unique
(never seen it anywhere else) and satisfyingly tasty, especially
with one of their beers.

>Zucca, 186 Castro St, (650) 864-9940 Mediterranean
>-- Upscale bistro with pleasant bar in front.

...And gourmet quality food for a reasonable price. Try the rabbit.

Gotta try some of those others you mentioned, as well as some you
didn't. There's so much churn with places going and new places
coming in, it's hard to keep up, and when you develop 4 or 5
favorites, well, you tend to favor those while excluding others.

-A

Al Eisner

Oct 19, 2007, 7:35:31 PM10/19/07
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Karen wrote:

> On Oct 19, 3:18 pm, "Max Hauser" <maxREM...@THIStdl.com> wrote:
>> Might as well post this to ba.food too, if only to show Mark Lipton what
>> he's missing :-). Downtown MV now has the densest restaurant district in
>> the southern part (if not all) of the Bay Area. The Zolotars' independent
>> index atwww.mountainviewca.netcurrently shows 92 eateries of all kinds
>> downtown, a high-water mark.
>
> Crazy man!
>
> I live walking distance to dt mv and I never dine out there. In the
> last two weeks, I've eaten at Sultana's and Jeffrey's in Menlo Park,
> Fiesta del Mar in MV, and The Fish Market in Palo Alto, and Frankie
> Johnny and Luigis in MV on ECR.

If I lived near downtown Mountain View, I wouldn't go to any of the
places you list, Karen. (Well, I'm not familiar with Jeffrey's, but
none of the rest strike me as destination places. Perhaps I'd go to
Fiesta del Mar since it's rather close.)

> I don't know why, but have always avoided Castro Street.

Fidel? San Francisco?
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

Max Hauser

Oct 19, 2007, 7:58:20 PM10/19/07
"axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> in news:ffbefs$2u5$2...@blue.rahul.net :
>> [Max wrote]
>
> >* Cantankerous Fish ...

> Been there twice, but not since the changeover. Earlier it
> seemed like a place where the elderly would go for dinner.

Completely new, forget your past impressions (which were fairly typical).
Original chef was borrowed from Scotts Seafood in a pinch (the two
restaurants have overlapping owners). Menu is now reborn. No longer is all
the fish cooked well-done. Note especially the "happy hour" specials I
mentioned.

> >Cascal, 400 Castro St, (650) 940-9500 Spanish
> >-- Pleasant atmosphere, based roughly on a Spanish tapas bar. Most I
know
> >prefer the new expanded Cantankerous, next door, for food.
>

> I see the opposite. ... Cantankerous Fish is American seafood.

Don't compare the old Cantankerous! My comment was based only on the new.
I don't know what the issue is at Cascal, went there twice in its first
year, enjoyed the food, but afterwards couldn't remember a thing we'd
ordered. Four or five parties I know in the area who've been there tell
similar anecdotes, including one who wrote about restaurants for the local
papers and wanted very much to like the place. May try your suggested
squid-ink dish though.. (I observe, that ingredient has moved from very
exotic in the US 10 years ago to occasional five years ago to almost, if not
actually, supermarket level now -- I'm seeing dried squid-ink noodles in
retail shelves.)

I didn't mention Yellow Ginger (outside the Zolotars' "downtown" list though
probably ought to be included). One lunch so far was very good, kind of an
upscale place at the level of Xanh and Nami Nami.

> >Tied House, 954 Villa St, (650) 965-2739 Brewpub
> >-- I like the fresh beer, but food has been consistently, relentlessly
dull for years; moreover everyone says so, including regulars and former
staff.

> I dunno... I find the smoked salmon fish and chips rather unique (never
seen it anywhere else) and satisfyingly tasty, especially with one of their
beers.

At last! A positive comment on Tied House food. (Alert the media! :-)
After ten years' trying it and hearing about it. I'm willing to try that
dish. (Not everyone feels as follows, but I don't like places just for
beer; food to go with it is important.)

Tim May

Oct 19, 2007, 9:26:14 PM10/19/07

Castro Street !=! Castro Avenue in SF, so no reason to avoid it.

I live in Corralitos, southeast of Santa Cruz, but I probably eat at
Castro Street restaurants about 15 times a year, with a couple
different groups of folks I meet with. Truly a great dining Mecca, and
Max Hauser's listing and comments are appreciated by me. (I'm
forwarding this list to some folks I dine with on Castro St.).

--Tim May

Steve Fenwick

Oct 20, 2007, 6:00:17 AM10/20/07
In article <ffbefs$2u5$2...@blue.rahul.net>, ax...@spamcop.net (axlq)
wrote:

> In article <13hiba2...@corp.supernews.com>,
> Max Hauser <maxR...@THIStdl.com> wrote:

> >Spice Islands, 210 Hope St, (650) 961-0628 Singaporean
> >-- Unusual specialties, interesting, unique.
>
> Facing competition from Yellow Ginger a few blocks away on Moffet.
> Between the two, I'd say Spice Islands offers a better price for a
> good meal, but Yellow Ginger concentrates on high quality.

I'll second the recommendation for Yellow Ginger, and offer a plug--the
owner told me last week that they are going to do a new series of
specials for the rest of October and into November.

I can't recommend Spice Islands. Bland food, indifferently served.
Layang Laynag (Cupertino) and Yellow Ginger are both much better.
Unique? How?

> >Tied House, 954 Villa St, (650) 965-2739 Brewpub
> >-- I like the fresh beer, but food has been consistently, relentlessly dull
> >for years; moreover everyone says so, including regulars and former staff.
>
> I dunno... I find the smoked salmon fish and chips rather unique
> (never seen it anywhere else) and satisfyingly tasty, especially
> with one of their beers.

The salmon of the fish and chips is good; the chips are mediocre, as is
most of the rest of the food. Too bad, too; I remember many good meals
there in the early- to mid-90's.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of

Karen

Oct 20, 2007, 12:57:10 PM10/20/07
On Oct 19, 6:26 pm, Tim May <timc...@removethis.got.net> wrote:
> Castro Street !=! Castro Avenue in SF, so no reason to avoid it.
>
> I live in Corralitos, southeast of Santa Cruz, but I probably eat at
> Castro Street restaurants about 15 times a year, with a couple
> different groups of folks I meet with. Truly a great dining Mecca, and
> Max Hauser's listing and comments are appreciated by me. (I'm
> forwarding this list to some folks I dine with on Castro St.).

I realize I'm in a rut. Familiarity is important to me most of the
time.

Karen

axlq

Oct 20, 2007, 1:35:59 PM10/20/07
In article <1192899430.2...@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I realize I'm in a rut. Familiarity is important to me most of the
>time.

Well, time to get familiar with other things.

I know what you mean though. When you find a handful of really good
places on Castro street, you tend to go to those places and not try
some of the other excellent choices on the street. We have that
problem too. Lately we've been making a conscious effort, every
other month or so, to try a new place on Castro we've never tried
before.

-A

Karen

Oct 20, 2007, 1:47:10 PM10/20/07
On Oct 20, 10:35 am, a...@spamcop.net (axlq) wrote:
> Well, time to get familiar with other things.
>
> I know what you mean though. When you find a handful of really good
> places on Castro street, you tend to go to those places and not try
> some of the other excellent choices on the street. We have that
> problem too. Lately we've been making a conscious effort, every
> other month or so, to try a new place on Castro we've never tried
> before.

I get more adventurous at lunch because my coworkers coax me. Now that
Sultana's or Oak City is familiar to me, I'd probably venture to MP
tonight rather than MV for similar...

Karen

axlq

Oct 20, 2007, 1:52:25 PM10/20/07
In article <13hih4s...@corp.supernews.com>,

Max Hauser <maxR...@THIStdl.com> wrote:
>"axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> in news:ffbefs$2u5$2...@blue.rahul.net :

>> >Cascal, 400 Castro St, (650) 940-9500 Spanish

>> >-- Pleasant atmosphere, based roughly on a Spanish tapas bar.
>> >Most I know prefer the new expanded Cantankerous, next door, for
>> >food.
>>
>> I see the opposite. ... Cantankerous Fish is American seafood.
>
>Don't compare the old Cantankerous! My comment was based only on the new.

So was mine; my comments still stands, I think. Recently I went to
Cantankerous Fish, looked at the menu, and then went next door to
Cascal because I really felt like having more Latin fare (and we had
a Latina guest who also leaned that way). Both places were quite
busy for a Thursday night, I noted.

I also did notice that the CF menu had changed, although I still
consider it "American seafood" (excepting new menu additions like
ceviche). The other thing that struck me about CF was the lack of
geriatric patrons that I had become accustomed to seeing. I'll
certainly go back there.

Where DO the elderly hang out for nice dinners these days?
Sometimes I seek out those places, because they tend to have a more
quiet relaxing atmosphere.

>I don't know what the issue is at Cascal, went there twice in its first
>year, enjoyed the food, but afterwards couldn't remember a thing we'd
>ordered. Four or five parties I know in the area who've been there tell
>similar anecdotes, including one who wrote about restaurants for the local
>papers and wanted very much to like the place. May try your suggested
>squid-ink dish though.. (I observe, that ingredient has moved from very
>exotic in the US 10 years ago to occasional five years ago to almost, if not
>actually, supermarket level now -- I'm seeing dried squid-ink noodles in
>retail shelves.)

Dried is one thing. Cooked in real ink is another. The Cascal chef
told me they import the squid ink from Spain. It comes in plastic
containers. I have never seen that in stores, although I admit I
haven't made a concerted effort to look. If the restaurant gets
their ink directly from a Spanish supplier, that suggests it's hard
to find locally.

>> >Tied House, 954 Villa St, (650) 965-2739 Brewpub
>> >-- I like the fresh beer, but food has been consistently, relentlessly
>dull for years; moreover everyone says so, including regulars and former
>staff.
>>
>> I dunno... I find the smoked salmon fish and chips rather unique (never
>seen it anywhere else) and satisfyingly tasty, especially with one of their
>beers.
>
>At last! A positive comment on Tied House food. (Alert the media! :-)
>After ten years' trying it and hearing about it. I'm willing to try that
>dish. (Not everyone feels as follows, but I don't like places just for
>beer; food to go with it is important.)

The smoked salmon fish and chips is all I ever get when I go there
- except once, when they happened to have ostrich burgers, which
I always wanted to try. They have different "game burgers" on
different days, but usually something I'm not interested in, like
buffalo or elk. Their smoked salmon fish and chips keeps me willing
to go back there when I feel like having a beer (I'm more of a wine
drinker).

-A

Geoff Miller

Oct 20, 2007, 5:37:02 PM10/20/07

axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> writes:

> Where DO the elderly hang out for nice dinners these days?
> Sometimes I seek out those places, because they tend to have
> a more quiet relaxing atmosphere.

Same here.

My prototypical "fogey" restaurant is the Echo at Loyola Corners
in Los Altos. It had a nice little bar, too. When the place closed
several years ago, the marquee on their sign had a cryptic message on
it that I'm sure got a chuckle from a lot of us old Los Altos hands:
"Parisian Burgers" -- an allusion to another departed local insti-
tution, Linda's hamburger stand on El Camino at Escuela.

Geoff

--
"If it rains after a liberal washes his car, they say
it's a right-wing dirty trick." -- Ann Coulter

Peter Lawrence

Oct 20, 2007, 5:43:45 PM10/20/07
Geoff Miller wrote:
> axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> writes:
>
>> Where DO the elderly hang out for nice dinners these days?
>> Sometimes I seek out those places, because they tend to have
>> a more quiet relaxing atmosphere.
>

> Same here.

The only relatively "quiet" restaurant I can think of, off the top of my
head, in Downtown Mountain View would be Don Giovanni.

- Peter

Al Eisner

Oct 20, 2007, 6:41:40 PM10/20/07
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Steve Fenwick wrote:

> In article <ffbefs$2u5$2...@blue.rahul.net>, ax...@spamcop.net (axlq)
> wrote:
>
>> In article <13hiba2...@corp.supernews.com>,
>> Max Hauser <maxR...@THIStdl.com> wrote:
>>> Tied House, 954 Villa St, (650) 965-2739 Brewpub
>>> -- I like the fresh beer, but food has been consistently, relentlessly dull
>>> for years; moreover everyone says so, including regulars and former staff.
>>
>> I dunno... I find the smoked salmon fish and chips rather unique
>> (never seen it anywhere else) and satisfyingly tasty, especially
>> with one of their beers.
>
> The salmon of the fish and chips is good; the chips are mediocre, as is
> most of the rest of the food. Too bad, too; I remember many good meals
> there in the early- to mid-90's.

So, is there any good brew pub food closer than Fort Bragg?

Al Eisner

Oct 20, 2007, 6:53:46 PM10/20/07
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Max Hauser wrote:

> Might as well post this to ba.food too, if only to show Mark Lipton what
> he's missing :-). Downtown MV now has the densest restaurant district in
> the southern part (if not all) of the Bay Area. The Zolotars' independent
> index at www.mountainviewca.net currently shows 92 eateries of all kinds
> downtown, a high-water mark. (Two years ago it was 72.) All within easy
> walk of each other and most near the Mountain View Caltrain and light-rail
> station. Here are brief comments on 40 of them that I know (from between 2
> and 200 visits each, unless noted). Stars * mark places I think especially
> worth your attention.

200 visits? Good lord, where? (Unless it's the coffee place....)

Thanks for the list -- I'll be saving a copy of this (and some follow-up
dialog) in my car, for when I'm in that area. I've only tried four or
five of them (including other branches). By the way, I "third" adding
Yellow Ginger to the list, although sometimes crossing the Central
Expy makes it seem like another city.

> Amici's, 790 Castro St, (650) 961-6666 Pizza
> -- Not your average pizza joint -- interesting toppings -- not wild
> mushrooms, but almost. Pretty good pasta dishes tasted so far including
> creditable pesto and meat sauces.

Try also the Italian sausage sandwich for lunch. (I always ask for it
without sauce, even though the menu makes no mention of sauce. I've
only been to the Redwood shores branch, but many times.)

> * Sushi Tomi, 635 W Dana St, (650) 968-3227 Japanese
> -- A real Japanese master chef, does omikase feasts by request; enormous
> fish and sushi selection. Popular, crowded at lunch.

I was momentarily alarmed by this one, since there's a quite mediocre
"Sushi Tomo" in Palo Alto. but checking on the web, this is indeed
different. By the way, their web page refers to it as Sushitomi, no
space.

Pete Fraser

Oct 20, 2007, 7:05:05 PM10/20/07
"Al Eisner" <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote in message

> So, is there any good brew pub food closer than Fort Bragg?

Thirsty Bear in SF.

If you include places that don't brew their own beer,
but do have a good beer selection and good food:

Luka's Taproom in Oakland.
21st Amendment in SF.

Steve Pope

Oct 20, 2007, 7:26:21 PM10/20/07
Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>So, is there any good brew pub food closer than Fort Bragg?

Thirsty Bear?

Steve

Al Eisner

Oct 20, 2007, 7:33:41 PM10/20/07
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Pete Fraser wrote:

> "Al Eisner" <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> So, is there any good brew pub food closer than Fort Bragg?
>
> Thirsty Bear in SF.

Thanks. I guess I never think of going to a brew pub in SF since
there are so many other choices.

> If you include places that don't brew their own beer,
> but do have a good beer selection and good food:

No, but still worth knowing.

> Luka's Taproom in Oakland.
> 21st Amendment in SF.

And I've always liked the (German, of course) beer selection at Suppenkuche
in SF.

Jeannie

Oct 20, 2007, 11:53:47 PM10/20/07
On Oct 20, 2:43 pm, Peter Lawrence <hummb...@aol.com> wrote:
> Geoff Miller wrote:

Dunno about weekends, but weeknights Kapp's is pretty quiet,
especially in the upstairs booths. Great calzones, too.

I miss the Moo Shu Pork at Szechuan Garden and the chocolate mint chip
ice cream at Double Rainbow.

Jeannie

Steve Fenwick

Oct 21, 2007, 4:45:53 AM10/21/07
In article <ffdf8p$ofc$2...@blue.rahul.net>, ax...@spamcop.net (axlq)
wrote:

> Where DO the elderly hang out for nice dinners these days?
> Sometimes I seek out those places, because they tend to have a more
> quiet relaxing atmosphere.

Those with money can be found at Manresa, among other places. But
there's a certain ageism in your statement. I know not-elderly
individuals who like quite meals, and chronologically elderly who party
hearty.

> Dried is one thing. Cooked in real ink is another. The Cascal chef
> told me they import the squid ink from Spain. It comes in plastic
> containers. I have never seen that in stores, although I admit I
> haven't made a concerted effort to look. If the restaurant gets
> their ink directly from a Spanish supplier, that suggests it's hard
> to find locally.

I don't know about local suppliers, but it seems to be readily available
online from several vendors, Spanish pedigree claimed.

Peter Lawrence

Oct 21, 2007, 6:29:57 AM10/21/07
Steve Fenwick wrote:
> In article <ffdf8p$ofc$2...@blue.rahul.net>, ax...@spamcop.net (axlq)
> wrote:
>
>> Where DO the elderly hang out for nice dinners these days?
>> Sometimes I seek out those places, because they tend to have a more
>> quiet relaxing atmosphere.
>
> Those with money can be found at Manresa, among other places.

I thought axlq was seeking quiet relaxing restaurants in and around
downtown Mountain View. In and around Santa Clara and San Mateo
Counties I can name a number of restaurants that fit the bill.

- Peter

Geoff Miller

Oct 21, 2007, 12:58:33 PM10/21/07

Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:

[to axlq]

>> Where DO the elderly hang out for nice dinners these days?
>> Sometimes I seek out those places, because they tend to have
>> a more quiet relaxing atmosphere.

> Those with money can be found at Manresa, among other places. But
> there's a certain ageism in your statement.

Nonsense. "Ageism" implies that there's something *wrong* with
preferring a quiet, relaxing atmosphere. You've obviously bought
into the hypersensitive PC view that any acknowledgement of dif-
ference between groups of people is an implicit put-down, which
it isn't.

> I know not-elderly individuals who like quite meals, and chrono-
> logically elderly who party hearty.

Yes, I'm sure most of us do -- as well as younger people who enjoy
peace and quiet. But they're the exception, not the rule.

Geoff Miller

Oct 21, 2007, 1:00:51 PM10/21/07

Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> writes:

> I thought axlq was seeking quiet relaxing restaurants in and around
> downtown Mountain View. In and around Santa Clara and San Mateo
> Counties I can name a number of restaurants that fit the bill.

Speaking of fogey restaurants in Santa Clara County, is Mariani's
on El Camino in Sunnyvale still around? I went there once years
ago, and it was like stepping into a time machine. And not in a
bad way.

The Ranger

Oct 21, 2007, 1:31:40 PM10/21/07
Geoff Miller <geo...@lava.net> wrote in message
[snip]

> Speaking of fogey restaurants in Santa Clara County,
> is Mariani's on El Camino in Sunnyvale still around?

Yes; complete with it's blue-cheese-soaked salads and
mahogany-lined comforts you wistfully look for in restaurants.

The Ranger

Geoff Miller

Oct 21, 2007, 1:59:33 PM10/21/07

The Ranger <cuhula...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Yes; complete with it's blue-cheese-soaked salads and
> mahogany-lined comforts you wistfully look for in restaurants.

I like that sort of thing to be among the available selections,
yes. It's always nice to get adequate portions (with vegetables),
and not have to yell myself hoarse while conversing with the person
across the table from me.

And I *do* so enjoy blue cheese salad dressing...

Geoff

--
"My advice to her [Britney Spears] would be to start shooting
the dog porn videos now, and thus set aside a little cash for

Max Hauser

Oct 21, 2007, 2:34:58 PM10/21/07
"Al Eisner" <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> in

[Hi Al, always glad to see your contributions here.]

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Max Hauser wrote:

> > * Sushi Tomi, 635 W Dana St, (650) 968-3227 Japanese
>

>... By the way, their web page refers to it as Sushitomi, no space.

Yes indeed, just as their sign out front makes a point of two words (why I
added the space, after consideration). Kind of like Nami Nami, which is
carried inconsistently in various appearances. Or Maru Ichi. But thanks
for your sharp eye!

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 21, 2007, 3:15:47 PM10/21/07
In article <Pine.SOC.4.64.07...@flora01.slac.stanford.edu>,

Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>So, is there any good brew pub food closer than Fort Bragg?

I'm not sure if Thirsty Bear really qualifies as "brew pub food".

I've been to hundreds of brewpubs. I orient travels around them,
across the country. Thirsty Bear is definitely an outlier.

OK, that said, the food at Steelhead in Burlingame is pretty good,
in the more usual brewpub mold. As far as "closer than Fort Bragg,"
Bear Republic in Healdsburg is one of the best around, and it's
literally on the way. I rank it above North Coast. There are
several very good brewpubs in Marin and Sonoma Counties.

Al Eisner

Oct 21, 2007, 6:55:08 PM10/21/07

Thanks. Oddly, I don't think I've ever been in Healdsburg. I did
like the Mendocino Brewing outlet in Hopland (although it was more
of a good burger place than a serious restaurant), but I'd heard something
about its either closing or downscaling the food -- could be wrong.

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 21, 2007, 7:28:52 PM10/21/07
In article <Pine.SOC.4.64.07...@flora04.slac.stanford.edu>,

Al Eisner <eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>I did like the Mendocino Brewing outlet in Hopland (although it
>was more of a good burger place than a serious restaurant), but
>I'd heard something about its either closing or downscaling the
>food -- could be wrong.

For a time, the pub was no longer run by Mendocino Brewing, and
stopped having food. They let you bring in or order food from
elsewhere, though. Now, I am totally unsure, because I just happened
to read a 6-pack today that asked people to visit their pub in
Hopland.

Likewise, Anderson Valley stopped operating their pub in Boonville,
to concentrate on brewing. I don't know if that information is
current, either, but the food was never of note there -- although
it was perfectly acceptable.

Steve Fenwick

Oct 22, 2007, 1:44:02 AM10/22/07
In article <ffg8h3$uak$1...@agricola.medieval.org>,

If I can start in Ashland, then I can name at least one: Standing Stone
Brewery, in Ashland on Oak Street.

I've heard Ashland called "the northern-most town in the Bay Area"...

Steve Fenwick

Oct 22, 2007, 1:42:48 AM10/22/07
In article <13hn19p...@corp.supernews.com>,
geo...@lava.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

> Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
> [to axlq]
>
> >> Where DO the elderly hang out for nice dinners these days?
> >> Sometimes I seek out those places, because they tend to have
> >> a more quiet relaxing atmosphere.
>
> > Those with money can be found at Manresa, among other places. But
> > there's a certain ageism in your statement.
>
> Nonsense. "Ageism" implies that there's something *wrong* with
> preferring a quiet, relaxing atmosphere. You've obviously bought
> into the hypersensitive PC view that any acknowledgement of dif-
> ference between groups of people is an implicit put-down, which
> it isn't.

Axlq posited that the elderly prefer quiet, relaxing dining environments
as a generality. But yeah, he probably didn't mean it pejoratively.

You'd be wrong about my believing that acknowledging differences is
implicitly negative, though.

"Elderly", by the way, may often be interpreted as a pejorative. Just
call anyone under 50 "elderly" and see what reaction you get!

Tim May

Oct 22, 2007, 2:27:45 AM10/22/07
In article <nospam-789633....@news.meer.net>, Steve Fenwick
<nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Axlq posited that the elderly prefer quiet, relaxing dining environments
> as a generality. But yeah, he probably didn't mean it pejoratively.
>
> You'd be wrong about my believing that acknowledging differences is
> implicitly negative, though.
>
> "Elderly", by the way, may often be interpreted as a pejorative. Just
> call anyone under 50 "elderly" and see what reaction you get!

I'm elderly, by every standard I used to call people elderly in, say,
1965.

And I like the kind of quiet places that the elderly like.

I don't need "dope" niggaz and nigga wannabees, and homies and
Mexicans, hoopin' and hollerin' about their "hoes" and "dem niggaz"
while I am dining.

If more restaurants excluded the dirt people, more restaurants might
not be in such decline. Face it, most so-called "Americans" are scum,
are dirt bags, are untermenschen who belong in the trains headed east.

--Tim May

Tim May

Oct 22, 2007, 2:35:22 AM10/22/07
In article <nospam-E40E72....@news.meer.net>, Steve Fenwick
<nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> If I can start in Ashland, then I can name at least one: Standing Stone
> Brewery, in Ashland on Oak Street.
>
> I've heard Ashland called "the northern-most town in the Bay Area"...

I don't know of a town called Ashland in either Marin or Sonoma or Napa
County. Where is it?

I used to live in Oregon, so I know of an Ashland way up in Oregon.

I hope this is not what you meant, for if it is, then if Ashland, OR is
the northenmost town in the Bay Area, then Ensenada, Mexica is clearly
the southernmost town in the Bay Area and Cheyenne, WY is the
easternmost, and all sanity is gone completely.

--Tim May

John Clear

Oct 22, 2007, 2:43:40 AM10/22/07
In article <211020072335221598%tim...@removethis.got.net>,

Tim May <tim...@removethis.got.net> wrote:

>I hope this is not what you meant, for if it is, then if Ashland, OR is
>the northenmost town in the Bay Area, then Ensenada, Mexica is clearly
>the southernmost town in the Bay Area and Cheyenne, WY is the
>easternmost, and all sanity is gone completely.

I was trying to describe how Austin, TX was unlike the rest of
Texas to a cow-orker the other day. I finally just summarized it
as 'Austin is a suburb of Berkeley.'

So what does that do to your map of the Bay Area?

John
--
John Clear - j...@panix.com http://www.clear-prop.org/

Tim May

Oct 22, 2007, 2:58:48 AM10/22/07
In article <ffhgqs$bm$1...@reader1.panix.com>, John Clear
<use...@jac.users.panix.com> wrote:

> I was trying to describe how Austin, TX was unlike the rest of
> Texas to a cow-orker the other day. I finally just summarized it
> as 'Austin is a suburb of Berkeley.'
>
> So what does that do to your map of the Bay Area?

Nothing.

Having spent time in Austin, and San Antonio, etc., it's as sillly to
say that Austin is a suburb of Berkeley as it is to say that Memphis is
a suburb of Portland or Detroit is a suburb of Boston, and so on and
on.

Unless you think The County Line is some mutant offspring of some negro
rib joint in Berkeley.

Fucking bizarre. Maybe Austinites are getting their drugs from
Berkeley, that much is true, as the human league might say.

When I was in the Hill Country, I had a lot better barbecue than what
passes for barbecue in Berkeley. Hell, even here in my area, Central
Texas in Castroville serves better barbecue that what any place in
Berkeley I have seen serves.

--Tim May

axlq

Oct 22, 2007, 4:21:15 PM10/22/07
In article <nospam-789633....@news.meer.net>,

Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>Axlq posited that the elderly prefer quiet, relaxing dining environments
>as a generality. But yeah, he probably didn't mean it pejoratively.

No, I didn't. If I wanted to be perjorative, I would have said
"fogeys" or "old farts" or some such. I'm in my 40s myself, old
enough for teenagers to consider me "elderly".

And I didn't think it was perjorative to make the observation that
quiet restaurants correlate with older patrons. I don't know the
cause and effect relationship though. Either older folks prefer
quieter restaurants, or the restaurant gets quieter because of all
the older folks in it.

-A

axlq

Oct 22, 2007, 4:24:40 PM10/22/07
>In article <nospam-E40E72....@news.meer.net>, Steve Fenwick
><nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If I can start in Ashland, then I can name at least one: Standing Stone
>> Brewery, in Ashland on Oak Street.
>>
>> I've heard Ashland called "the northern-most town in the Bay Area"...
>
>I don't know of a town called Ashland in either Marin or Sonoma or Napa
>County. Where is it?
>
>I used to live in Oregon, so I know of an Ashland way up in Oregon.

Google Maps to the rescue. Apparently Ashland is an unincorporated
community in Alameda County, between Hayward and San Leandro, in the
corner formed by I-238 and I-580.

-A

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 22, 2007, 4:51:47 PM10/22/07
In article <ffj0u8$noo$3...@blue.rahul.net>, axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>Google Maps to the rescue. Apparently Ashland is an unincorporated
>community in Alameda County ....

Heh. Standing Stone is in Oregon. I haven't eaten any food there.

That's one limit to my otherwise extensive brewpub experience,
namely that whereas I've had beer at all of them, I don't always
try the food. I'd need to be hungry for that!

Tim May

Oct 22, 2007, 6:53:36 PM10/22/07
In article <ffj0u8$noo$3...@blue.rahul.net>, axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote:

But then it can't hardly be called "the northern-most town in the Bay
Area," now can it?

--Tim May

Steve Pope

Oct 22, 2007, 8:16:48 PM10/22/07
axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Google Maps to the rescue. Apparently Ashland is an unincorporated
>community in Alameda County, between Hayward and San Leandro, in the
>corner formed by I-238 and I-580.

Certainly the first I've ever heard of this...

Steve

Peter Lawrence

Oct 22, 2007, 10:51:46 PM10/22/07

According to the U.S. Census, in the year 2000 the population of Ashland
California was larger than the population of Ashland Oregon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland%2C_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland%2C_Oregon

- Peter

Steve Pope

Oct 22, 2007, 11:09:07 PM10/22/07
Peter Lawrence <humm...@aol.com> wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Certainly the first I've ever heard of this...

>According to the U.S. Census, in the year 2000 the population of Ashland

>California was larger than the population of Ashland Oregon.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland%2C_California

Apparently, Ashland is a census-designated place but it appears
any street addresses within the supposed "Ashland" are all
San Leandro addresses. The USPS recognizes no Ashland zip-codes.

Steve

Steve Fenwick

Oct 22, 2007, 11:19:00 PM10/22/07
In article <ffjehg$8cd$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

And not the one I meant. Ashland being part of the Bay Area--it's a joke
man! A joke!

Geoff Miller

Oct 22, 2007, 11:25:10 PM10/22/07

Steve Fenwick <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:

> "Elderly", by the way, may often be interpreted as a pejorative. Just
> call anyone under 50 "elderly" and see what reaction you get!

Well, the objections aren't because it's pejorative, but because it's
inaccurate. I'd wager that most people past their teens consider age
70 to be the threshold of "elderly."

Geiff

--
"Wit goes for the jugular, not the jocular." -- Florence King

Geoff Miller

Oct 22, 2007, 11:40:40 PM10/22/07

Tim May <tim...@removethis.got.net> writes:

> [...] the trains headed east.

Glad to see that you finally came up with a new idiom.
The "up the chimneys" thing, amusing (and even classic)
though it was, had pretty much run its course. Although
I have to say that I dug the subtlety of the occasional
"up the smokestacks" variant, with its implication of a
massive, industrial scale to things. I mean, why screw
around with a cottage industry?

If Joe Bay still posted here, he'd say that "Trains Headed
East" would make a great band name. And so it would.

Geoff

Steve Fenwick

Oct 24, 2007, 1:29:23 AM10/24/07
In article <221020071553362009%tim...@removethis.got.net>,
Tim May <tim...@removethis.got.net> wrote:

> In article <ffj0u8$noo$3...@blue.rahul.net>, axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <211020072335221598%tim...@removethis.got.net>,
> > Tim May <tim...@removethis.got.net> wrote:

> > >I don't know of a town called Ashland in either Marin or Sonoma or Napa
> > >County. Where is it?
> > >
> > >I used to live in Oregon, so I know of an Ashland way up in Oregon.
> >
> > Google Maps to the rescue. Apparently Ashland is an unincorporated
> > community in Alameda County, between Hayward and San Leandro, in the
> > corner formed by I-238 and I-580.
>
> But then it can't hardly be called "the northern-most town in the Bay
> Area," now can it?
>
> --Tim May

Not the one I meant, but an interesting fact nonetheless.

Tim May

Oct 24, 2007, 1:52:21 AM10/24/07
In article <nospam-FBAA9B....@news.meer.net>, Steve Fenwick
<nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <221020071553362009%tim...@removethis.got.net>,
> Tim May <tim...@removethis.got.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <ffj0u8$noo$3...@blue.rahul.net>, axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> > > Google Maps to the rescue. Apparently Ashland is an unincorporated
> > > community in Alameda County, between Hayward and San Leandro, in the
> > > corner formed by I-238 and I-580.
> >
> > But then it can't hardly be called "the northern-most town in the Bay
> > Area," now can it?
> >
> > --Tim May
>
> Not the one I meant, but an interesting fact nonetheless.

I was mainly arguing against someone's extension of the Extended Bay
Area all the way into Oregon (he later said he meant it as a joke,
though I've heard similar claims presented as fact).

In my opinion, even my personal, Geraldo-protected Constitutional
opinion, the Bay Area goes roughly as far north as Healdsburg, as far
east roughly as Sacramento (sometimes), and as far south as
Monterey/Carmel.

Based not just on a map but on where Bay Aryans typically travel on day
trips.

I have no objections to reviews of places as far out of the Extended
Bay Area as Crescent City or Ukiah, or Reno, or Los Banos, or King
City, or even Santa Barbara.

--Tim May

RWW

Oct 24, 2007, 2:10:41 AM10/24/07
Tim May wrote:

But if Fenwick reviews an establishment 1 um (1/20th of a cunthair)
over the Ukiah line, May is going to come down on him like the winds of
Hell!

RWW

Oct 24, 2007, 2:11:52 AM10/24/07
Geoff Miller wrote:

> Geiff

Geiff???

Choosy Mothers?

Geoff Miller

Oct 24, 2007, 8:52:31 AM10/24/07

RWW <R...@rww.net> writes:

: Geiff

> Geiff???

> Choosy Mothers?

I'm a choosy mutha, but in this case I'm invoking the One-Key Rule
("It's unsportsmanlike to mention typos where the key that was struck
is within one key of the one that was intended.")

Geoff

Meg Worley

Oct 24, 2007, 10:32:37 AM10/24/07

RWW wondered:
>> Geiff???
>
>> Choosy Mothers?

Geoff pleads:

>I'm a choosy mutha, but in this case I'm invoking the One-Key Rule
>("It's unsportsmanlike to mention typos where the key that was struck
>is within one key of the one that was intended.")

I'm citing the Humor Clause ("Unless the mention is 135% more amusing than
annoying"). Objection overruled.

ObFood: When I was washing kale from the garden for supper last night,
the sink was grey with ash for the first three rinses. Damned curly kales!

Rage away,

meg

--

Meg Worley _._ m...@steam.stanford.edu _._ Comparatively Literate

rone

Oct 24, 2007, 9:53:38 PM10/24/07
In article <ffnl25$3po$1...@news.stanford.edu>,

Meg Worley <m...@steam.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>ObFood: When I was washing kale from the garden for supper last night,
>the sink was grey with ash for the first three rinses. Damned curly kales!

It's god's way of telling you that kale is inedible. But you people
just don't listen.

rone
--
The Famous Pedant-o-Sig! | "With CALLOUS disregard for his
Suggestions to <pedan...@ennui.org> | pain, she ripped his CALLUS off."

Meg Worley

Oct 25, 2007, 10:50:28 AM10/25/07

Rone writes:
>It's god's way of telling you that kale is inedible. But you people
>just don't listen.

If kale is inedible, why did this crazy god of yours make it so
tasty?

Tony Lima

Oct 25, 2007, 1:44:55 PM10/25/07
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:50:28 +0000 (UTC),
m...@steam.Stanford.EDU (Meg Worley) wrote:

>I wrote:
>>>When I was washing kale from the garden for supper last night,
>>>the sink was grey with ash for the first three rinses. Damned curly kales!
>
>Rone writes:
>>It's god's way of telling you that kale is inedible. But you people
>>just don't listen.
>
>If kale is inedible, why did this crazy god of yours make it so
>tasty?

Not only that, but eating kale regularly can slow the
progression of age-related macular degeneration (dry, not
wet). My mother-in-law has been following a kale-enhanced
diet for quite a few years and still has her sight. - Tony

Steve Pope

Oct 25, 2007, 1:59:46 PM10/25/07
Tony Lima <tony...@att.net> wrote:

>Not only that, but eating kale regularly can slow the
>progression of age-related macular degeneration (dry, not
>wet). My mother-in-law has been following a kale-enhanced
>diet for quite a few years and still has her sight. - Tony

I've never had "gray ash" wash off kale. There are however
many varieties. I usually stick with dino kale -- the leaves
are very firm and make good long-cooked greens.

Steve

Serene

Oct 25, 2007, 2:57:50 PM10/25/07
Steve Pope wrote:
> Tony Lima <tony...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Not only that, but eating kale regularly can slow the
>> progression of age-related macular degeneration (dry, not
>> wet). My mother-in-law has been following a kale-enhanced
>> diet for quite a few years and still has her sight. - Tony
>
> I've never had "gray ash" wash off kale.

Meg's in Southern California. I think the gray ash is understandable
this month.

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever.... This is a somewhat new
kind of religion." [Albert Einstein]

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 25, 2007, 3:00:38 PM10/25/07
In article <ffqlii$4mh$1...@blue.rahul.net>,

Steve Pope <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote:
>I've never had "gray ash" wash off kale.

Seen the news lately?

Steve Pope

Oct 25, 2007, 3:55:23 PM10/25/07
Serene <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> I've never had "gray ash" wash off kale.

>Meg's in Southern California. I think the gray ash is understandable
>this month.

Okay, that makes sense.

S.

Jeffrey Lichtman

Oct 26, 2007, 3:59:20 AM10/26/07
> If kale is inedible, why did this crazy god of yours make it so
> tasty?
>
> meg

Any fan of kale should know about this:

http://eatmorekale.com/