"excuse me sir they are wraps"

Basilio Amaro

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

What's the scoop? I went to Chevy's and said I wanted a burrito and the
waitress blessed me with a "you poor soul" grin and told me that
burritos are called "wraps" now. I asked if it was food in a tortilla
and she said "well it's not what Mexicans eat so we don't call it a
burrito". HUH?
Last time I looked, if it could be rolled up in a tortilla it was a
burrito. If I can pack a jack rabbit or for that matter a bunch of
chicken curry indian food leftovers in a tortilla, I will still call it
a burrito. And so will all of my numerous relatives.

FYI. Talked to my dad and at the ripe old age of 90 he sez that his mom
was serving up what they called burritos as early as 1918. Sorry
Michael, but that is as far back as he can remember. Also at that time
burritos were anything wrapped in either a flour or a corn tortilla.
If it was served as a soft flat corn tortilla with stuff on top (soft
shell tostada?) it was a taco.

Also, the only place to get authentic mexican food is... Mexico!
....Unless you come to my house.
--
Basilio "We don't call them wraps" Amaro
------------------------------------

Janet W. Hardy

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

Basilio Amaro (bas...@corp.sgi.com) wrote:
: Last time I looked, if it could be rolled up in a tortilla it was a

: burrito. If I can pack a jack rabbit or for that matter a bunch of
: chicken curry indian food leftovers in a tortilla, I will still call it
: a burrito. And so will all of my numerous relatives.

"Wraps" are trendy now, and I'm glad of it -- they're portable,
inexpensive and often quite healthy. I bought a "middle eastern wrap" in
the supermarket the other day, filled with hummus, vegetables and a
savory sauce, and it was quite good.

The term seems to refer to anything that's wrapped in a flour tortilla
burrito-style, but does not contain traditional burrito ingredients such
as beans, rice, cheese and meat. My guess is that it's an attempt to
appeal to those who consider burritos kind of pedestrian, or who do not
care for Mexican or Cal-Mex food.

Verdant

Christophe

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

In article <4s8oaq$b...@crl5.crl.com>, Janet W. Hardy <ver...@crl.com> wrote:
>The term seems to refer to anything that's wrapped in a flour tortilla
>burrito-style, but does not contain traditional burrito ingredients such
>as beans, rice, cheese and meat. My guess is that it's an attempt to
>appeal to those who consider burritos kind of pedestrian, or who do not
>care for Mexican or Cal-Mex food.

Just so. It's essentially a marketing term (in fact, one particular
company claims a trademark on it, although I have no idea how
successful they are being in enforcement). The idea is to disassociate
it with what consumers traditionally think of a burrito as being.

Any one who corrects a customer on the subject is being, in my opinion,
precious or pretentious. You might ask him if his company is the one
that owns the trademark :-).
--
"*They* live in a comfortable kind of world where elephants have their
feet cut off to make umbrella stands. We have to make good use of the

Miriam Eldridge

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

In article b...@crl5.crl.com, ver...@crl.com (Janet W. Hardy) writes:
> Basilio Amaro (bas...@corp.sgi.com) wrote:
> : Last time I looked, if it could be rolled up in a tortilla it was a
> : burrito. If I can pack a jack rabbit or for that matter a bunch of
> : chicken curry indian food leftovers in a tortilla, I will still call it
> : a burrito. And so will all of my numerous relatives.
>
> "Wraps" are trendy now, and I'm glad of it -- they're portable,
> inexpensive and often quite healthy. I bought a "middle eastern wrap" in
> the supermarket the other day, filled with hummus, vegetables and a
> savory sauce, and it was quite good.
>
> The term seems to refer to anything that's wrapped in a flour tortilla
> burrito-style, but does not contain traditional burrito ingredients such
> as beans, rice, cheese and meat. My guess is that it's an attempt to
> appeal to those who consider burritos kind of pedestrian, or who do not
> care for Mexican or Cal-Mex food.
>
> Verdant

More than once I've heard a Chinese-restaurant waiter explain to a non-
Chinese customer that moo-shu pork was "a Chinese burrito."

Miriam Eldridge

DaveHatunen

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

In article <31E70E...@corp.sgi.com>,

Basilio Amaro <bas...@corp.sgi.com> wrote:
>What's the scoop? I went to Chevy's and said I wanted a burrito and the
>waitress blessed me with a "you poor soul" grin and told me that
>burritos are called "wraps" now. I asked if it was food in a tortilla
>and she said "well it's not what Mexicans eat so we don't call it a
>burrito". HUH?

I think that was the time to look up and sweetly say, "You just lost
your entire tip; would you like to start earning it back?" followed by,
"Then why do they advertise this place as 'Fresh Mex'?"

--

********** DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@netcom.com) **********
* Daly City California *

Dr. John Refling

Jul 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/17/96

There was this totally scum-bag restraunt on santa monica blvd in la which
basically was constructed out of random building materials stacked or placed
against each other where the drug dealers and prostitutes hung out all night
so it had to be closed and i can't remember the name of it, but anyway, they
had huge BURRITOS filled with beans, beef teriyaki meat, bean sprouts, and
chopped hot dogs, seasoned with lots o' soy sauce for a few bucks. Basically
an international stir fry.

Yeah, i just remembered the name of it---oki dog!

Don't forget to pick up you kosher burritos in downtown!

Sean Yamamoto

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

They're called wraps when there's no lard in the tortillas.

Wraps cost three times more than burritos and taste no better. Thank God for
marketing.

S. ;-)

--
Sean Yamamoto Silicon Graphics, Inc.
se...@sgi.com "Apply Occam's razor."

If William of Occam had a beard, it wasn't because his razor was dull.