A large quantity of fresh shrimp

Patti Beadles

Oct 15, 2003, 2:37:10 AM10/15/03
A friend of mine is trying to find a place to get a hundred pounds of
fresh shrimp at a reasonable price for a big party this weekend.
Anybody have leads?

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles |
pat...@gammon.com | All religions are equally

Reg

Oct 15, 2003, 3:40:24 AM10/15/03

Patti Beadles wrote:
> A friend of mine is trying to find a place to get a hundred pounds of
> fresh shrimp at a reasonable price for a big party this weekend.
> Anybody have leads?

For orders this size I use California Shellfish Co (at Fisherman's Wharf).
Great quality and prices.

mango boy

Oct 15, 2003, 9:51:51 AM10/15/03

if you're in the south bay, try race street fish and poultry
in san jose.

orlando

In article <IR6jb.1189$NW6....@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>,

Yip Yap

Oct 16, 2003, 12:13:28 AM10/16/03
pat...@mauve.rahul.net (Patti Beadles) wrote in message news:<bmipum$90b$1...@blue.rahul.net>...

> A friend of mine is trying to find a place to get a hundred pounds of
> fresh shrimp at a reasonable price for a big party this weekend.
> Anybody have leads?

How do you plan to cook a hundred pounds of
shrimp? I guess you could grill it. That
would be a lot of work.

From what I've seen nearly all shrimp sold
in the bay area have been previously frozen.

-- Yip

Steve Wertz

Oct 16, 2003, 12:25:33 AM10/16/03
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:51:51 +0000 (UTC), mang...@68.usenet.us.com
(mango boy) wrote:

>if you're in the south bay, try race street fish and poultry
>in san jose.

That was my first thought for the south bay, but they'd charge an arm,
leg, and left gonad.

I would ask at 99Ranch99 instead. 100lbs would be a pretty fresh
shipment and would probably be 30-40% lower cost than RSF&P.

-sw

Reg

Oct 16, 2003, 12:57:48 AM10/16/03

Yip Yap wrote:

> How do you plan to cook a hundred pounds of
> shrimp? I guess you could grill it. That
> would be a lot of work.

-- Yip

They're doing a shrimp boil no doubt. Relatively easy to do. Grill 100
lbs of shrimp? I doubt it :)

Patti Beadles

Oct 16, 2003, 2:12:31 AM10/16/03
They're doing a shrimp boil. The dinner was originally supposed to be
in New Orleans but got moved to the bay area. The mother of the groom
lives in NO, and has been in a panic about how to get enough shrimp
for this.

Appreciate the help everyone... I've passed it on.

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles |
pat...@gammon.com |

http://www.gammon.com/ | "Oh great. We suck equally.
Check out www.tribe.net! | Next stop: world domination!"

mango boy

Oct 16, 2003, 9:08:09 AM10/16/03
didn't think about ranch69 and RSF&P is a bit pricey.

in the same vein as ranch69 (aka minivan hell!) i'd rather go to
lion supermarket...the seem to me to have a bigger variety of
everything though the weekends can be insane in there.

orlando

In article <1vGcnU9Mp71...@io.com>,

Kent H.

Oct 16, 2003, 11:36:54 AM10/16/03
I would probably go to Monterey Fish, in SF. That's the wholesale part
of Paul Johnson's fish business. He owns the esteemed Monterey Market on
Gilman St. in Berkeley.
If cost is important I would think very hard about just going to Ranch
99 and negotiating for 100lb of Frozen Shrimp in those 4-5 lb boxes. You
could also try the Orient Market on 7th St. in Oakland. I frequently buy
seafood there. The fishmonger there doesn't like caucasians initially,
but starts to smile after a few visits.
Good Luck
Kent

Steve Wertz

Oct 16, 2003, 1:09:10 PM10/16/03
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:36:54 GMT, "Kent H." <kh6...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>If cost is important I would think very hard about just going to Ranch
>99 and negotiating for 100lb of Frozen Shrimp in those 4-5 lb boxes.

I didn't even thing about frozen shrimp bring an option. I was
thinking more like asking the head fishmonger to order an extra 100lbs
of one of their several kinds of shrimp (which you can also try
first).

-sw

Geoff Miller

Oct 16, 2003, 3:53:56 PM10/16/03

Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost.invalid> writes:

> You could get some of those new 'Ready-Peel' shrimp. They come
> deveined, with the shell split down the back where the vein was
> removed. Really cool stuff.

Well, if they went that far, why don't they finish the job
and remove the shells, too?

Speaking of veins, ever looked at a diagram of a lobster or
a crawdad? Their intestine passes right through their tail.
Bon apetit. (That means "good simian nipples.")

Geoff

--
"The reason any conservative's failing is always major news
is that it allows liberals to engage in their very favorite

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 16, 2003, 4:22:39 PM10/16/03
In article <_qWdncK5I4r...@io.com>,
Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost.invalid> wrote:
>Shrimp have more flavor when cooked in their shells. If you want
>to shell them first, you can use the shells for soup stocks or
>adding flavor to sauces.

The last time we made a large quantity of shrimp (although not large
according to the parameters of this thread), we cooked up all of
the shells separately and made a big stock. Then we reduced it,
and froze it in ice cube trays (and then to freezer bags). It's a
nice thing to have around.

Karen O'Mara

Oct 16, 2003, 6:18:40 PM10/16/03
yip_y...@yahoo.com (Yip Yap) wrote in message news:<eaf0009c.03101...@posting.google.com>...

> How do you plan to cook a hundred pounds of
> shrimp? I guess you could grill it. That
> would be a lot of work.
>
> From what I've seen nearly all shrimp sold
> in the bay area have been previously frozen.

Not just the bay area, iirc... I don't think fresh-fresh shrimp is
available at all, anywhere. It's frozen on the boats at the site, and
thawed at the stores.

I seem to recall seeing or reading that somewhere.

But, don't quote me.

Okay, quote me.

Karen

Yip Yap

Oct 16, 2003, 10:13:14 PM10/16/03
geo...@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) wrote in message news:<bmmt0k$d...@u1.netgate.net>...

> Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost.invalid> writes:
>
> > You could get some of those new 'Ready-Peel' shrimp. They come
> > deveined, with the shell split down the back where the vein was
> > removed. Really cool stuff.
>
> Well, if they went that far, why don't they finish the job
> and remove the shells, too?

There's a ton of flavor in the shells. Removing the shells
before boiling would probably cause the shrimp to break
apart while boiling -- not good.

I personally use the grilling method for shrimp. The two
main rules are (1) do not de-shell or de-vein them and
(2) do not overcook.

-- Yip

Alison Chaiken

Oct 16, 2003, 11:20:04 PM10/16/03

mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel McComb) writes:
> The last time we made a large quantity of shrimp (although not large
> according to the parameters of this thread), we cooked up all of
> the shells separately and made a big stock. Then we reduced it,
> and froze it in ice cube trays (and then to freezer bags). It's a
> nice thing to have around.

No kidding. I tried making a stock of fishbones, fishskin and shrimp
shells once and found it completely flavorless. It smelled kind of
nice but was water by sight and by taste. Maybe I just diluted the
ingredients too much.

I've never tried to make a stock from actual fish. I always figured
that the major point of stock was to turn the inedible parts of
whatever creature into food.

--
Alison Chaiken "From:" address above is valid.
(650) 236-2231 [daytime] http://www.wsrcc.com/alison/

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 16, 2003, 11:36:08 PM10/16/03
In article <x6he28mt...@scoville.wsrcc.com>,
Alison Chaiken

<alison+gnus20...@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote:
>I tried making a stock of fishbones, fishskin and shrimp
>shells once and found it completely flavorless.

For shellfish shells, you want to fry them first, before boiling.
I believe we even flamed them with cognac. It ended up being very
flavorful, but if you don't saute them, I think it does indeed end
up "blah."

I don't know what to tell you about fish bones. That ought to make
a good stock in a straightforward way.

Alison Chaiken

Oct 16, 2003, 11:52:20 PM10/16/03

I'm looking for a restaurant in the Tri-City area to host my annual
reading group holiday dinner. My reading group (motto: "A drinking
club with a book problem") is a pretty raucous bunch, so most of the
ma'n'pa Asian restaurants we like to eat in are not appropriate. The
perfect place for us would have the Fremont Pizzeria Uno, but it
closed. "Pitchers of wine with decent entrees about $10-$12 apiece"
reasonably describes our needs. So far my best ideas are Chevy's in
Newark or Mission Pizza in Fremont. Has anyone tried Red Lobster? Or
Elephant Bar? Any other ideas? We are about a dozen people.
Chester?

evergene

Oct 17, 2003, 12:14:20 AM10/17/03
Alison Chaiken wrote:
>No kidding. I tried making a stock of fishbones, fishskin and shrimp
>shells once and found it completely flavorless.

The fish guy at Mission Market sells trimmings and bones that make a
really nice stock. But usually I cheat by using Redi-Base seafood
base. It's the best brand of commercial stock base I've found. You
can find it here:
http://www.redibase.com/
or under the Penzey's label for a bit more money. It's okay for soup,
but even better for making a shellfish topping for pasta.

Kent H.

Oct 17, 2003, 1:38:10 AM10/17/03
In this case I don't think he's a bigot. He may feel he is superior, but
he's not a bigot. There is very high turnover, and high volume at both
Ranch 99, and at the Orient Market. Especially at the latter, everything
I have had there has been impeccably fresh.

bizbee wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:36:54 GMT in <3F8EBB15...@comcast.net>,
> "Kent H." <kh6...@comcast.net> graced the world with this thought:

> >The fishmonger there doesn't like caucasians initially,
> >but starts to smile after a few visits.
>

> Good, everyone loves giving their money to a bigot to make him happy.
> Next question is, of course, is the refrigerator empty....

Kent H.

Oct 17, 2003, 1:39:59 AM10/17/03
Particularly in 100lb lots, all shrimp here is going to be frozen.

Kent H.

Oct 17, 2003, 1:47:36 AM10/17/03
Do you really vouch by this stuff? Comparable products, particularly
beef and seafood stock bases usually sell for three times that. How does
it compare to the "Better than Bouillon" products?

Mark Mellin

Oct 17, 2003, 2:17:55 AM10/17/03
In article <x6d6cwms...@scoville.wsrcc.com>, Alison Chaiken wrote:

> I'm looking for a restaurant in the Tri-City area to host my annual
> reading group holiday dinner. My reading group (motto: "A drinking
> club with a book problem") is a pretty raucous bunch, so most of the
> ma'n'pa Asian restaurants we like to eat in are not appropriate. The
> perfect place for us would have the Fremont Pizzeria Uno, but it
> closed. "Pitchers of wine with decent entrees about $10-$12 apiece"
> reasonably describes our needs.

Will Sangria suffice? How's the food at Fernando's Mexican
Restaurant (494 Mowry Avenue)? [1]

<cue Bonnie Raitt's _Sweet and Shiny Eyes_>

- Mark

[1] Also in San Mateo, 63 West 37th Avenue.

--
Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403-2918 USA

Mark Mellin

Oct 17, 2003, 2:24:17 AM10/17/03
In article <ddquovsf6qnn9c9iu...@4ax.com>, evergene wrote:
> Alison Chaiken wrote:
>
> >No kidding. I tried making a stock of fishbones, fishskin and shrimp
> >shells once and found it completely flavorless.
>
> The fish guy at Mission Market sells trimmings and bones that make a
> really nice stock.

Fish heads certainly add flavor. I've had good luck using the stock
recipe from Silver Palate Cookbook.

- Mark

JC Dill

Oct 17, 2003, 12:01:10 PM10/17/03
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 03:52:20 GMT, Alison Chaiken
<alison+gnus20...@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote:

>Fremont Pizzeria Uno, but it
>closed. "Pitchers of wine with decent entrees about $10-$12 apiece"
>reasonably describes our needs.

If pitchers of beer suffice, the brew pub at the Fremont Hub should
meet your needs.

jc

JC Dill

Oct 17, 2003, 12:06:37 PM10/17/03
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 03:52:20 GMT, Alison Chaiken
<alison+gnus20...@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote:

>Has anyone tried Red Lobster?

I ate at the Red Lobster in Fremont once this past summer, and am glad
to report that I won't be making that mistake again. Everything was
overcooked, flavorless, and swimming in grease. Even the special iced
tea (strawberry iced tea?) was horrible.

>Or Elephant Bar?

The Elephant Bar at Fremont Hub is MUCH better than the Red Lobster.
The Chevy's next door is also OK. But I still think the brew pub
around back is better.

jc

Frank Rizzo

Oct 17, 2003, 1:25:29 PM10/17/03
Try the seafood market in San Bruno
"Patti Beadles" <pat...@mauve.rahul.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Alison Chaiken

Oct 17, 2003, 3:02:15 PM10/17/03

JC Dill writes:
> If pitchers of beer suffice, the brew pub at the Fremont Hub should
> meet your needs.

Our group (except me) are mostly winedrinkers. I forgot to mention
that I want to avoid a sportsbar as we will be going on Monday night
and we hate football. We find Jack's Brewpub to be horribly
overpriced, especially since the food is standard pubgrub. I'll
further consider the Elephant Bar, which looks like it has good
variety and reasonable prices.

Mark Mellin writes?

> Will Sangria suffice? How's the food at Fernando's Mexican
> Restaurant (494 Mowry Avenue)? [1]

I've driven past Fernando's but never tried it. Do you like the San
Mateo branch?

Geoff Miller

Oct 17, 2003, 3:21:56 PM10/17/03

JC Dill <usenet-s...@vo.cnchost.com> writes:

> The Elephant Bar at Fremont Hub is MUCH better than
> the Red Lobster.

I've never eaten there (or at any other Elephant Bar),
but I think the bar either underpours or waters down
its liquor. I had a couple of drinks there one time
that were so weak, I couldn't even taste the alcohol.

Geoff Miller

Oct 17, 2003, 5:09:41 PM10/17/03

bizbee <tub...@ix.netcom.com> replied:

> Good, everyone loves giving their money to a bigot to make
> him happy.

He can't be a bigot; he isn't white. Only white people can
be bigots, dontchaknow. Ask any ethnic studies professor.

Geoff

--
"There's a reason Geoff Miller is in my killfile
in every newsgroup I find him in." -- Tim May

Betty Lee

Oct 17, 2003, 7:28:44 PM10/17/03
+ wrote:
+
+ >Has anyone tried Red Lobster?
+
+ I ate at the Red Lobster in Fremont once this past summer, and am glad
+ to report that I won't be making that mistake again. Everything was
+ overcooked, flavorless, and swimming in grease. Even the special iced
+ tea (strawberry iced tea?) was horrible.

I've been through two phases of Red Lobster visitations so far, both
down here in San Jose. During the first phase (years ago), I loved
the Boston iced tea. I used to have three or four refills in one trip!
I can't remember what fruit juice it was supposed to be (either cranberry
or raspberry), but it definitely wasn't supposed to be strawberry.
The fish was moist and lightly flaky. I stopped going because the
restaurant simply became too crowded (with too many smokers constantly
puffing right outside the open front door so the lobby area was choking
in cigarette smoke). My most recent phase was only a few months ago
and lasted about three trips. It stopped being crowded, and I figured
the loss in clientele was due to the economic downturn... The veggies
tasted like they've been swimming in salted lard for hours, the fish
was overcooked and dry to the point of feeling (and probably tasting)
like sandpaper and needed very liberal amounts of tartar sauce to be
choked down, their previously flavorful "white cheddar mash" was now
simply called "mashed potatoes" and tasted simply like potatoes drowned
in salted water, I couldn't stand to drink more than half a cup of the
Boston iced tea (much too much syrup and not enough tea, I think), and
I got a headache afterwards. I thought that might've been a fluke and
I tried it again at the same branch and then at a different branch with
similar results. I guess the recent lack of customers wasn't due to
the economic downturn after all...

amalia

Oct 17, 2003, 9:48:57 PM10/17/03
wrote in message news:x6d6cwms...@scoville.wsrcc.com...

> I'm looking for a restaurant in the Tri-City area to host my annual
> reading group holiday dinner. My reading group (motto: "A drinking
> club with a book problem") is a pretty raucous bunch, so most of the
> ma'n'pa Asian restaurants we like to eat in are not appropriate. The
> perfect place for us would have the Fremont Pizzeria Uno, but it
> closed. "Pitchers of wine with decent entrees about $10-$12 apiece"
> reasonably describes our needs. So far my best ideas are Chevy's in
> Newark or Mission Pizza in Fremont. Has anyone tried Red Lobster? Or
> Elephant Bar? Any other ideas? We are about a dozen people.
> Chester?

Between Chevy's and Elephant Bar, I'd choose Chevy's. Elephant Bar can be a
bit pricey for what it is, they emphasize cocktails over any wine you'd want
to drink, and it might be hard to get a larger table since the locations
I've been to offer mostly booths. Chevy's is loud and all, but you'll have
no problem getting a table for your size group.

However, I haven't been to either place *in Fremont*, so someone else here
might know better.

-Amalia

Mark Mellin

Oct 17, 2003, 11:08:24 PM10/17/03
In article <x6r81bl...@capsicum.wsrcc.com>, Alison Chaiken wrote:
> Mark Mellin writes?
>
> > Will Sangria suffice? How's the food at Fernando's Mexican
> > Restaurant (494 Mowry Avenue)? [1]
>
> I've driven past Fernando's but never tried it. Do you like the San
> Mateo branch?

We've yet to try it, but the menu looks promising. Alas, an ad in
today's Friday section of the peninsula edition of the SF Chronicle
(opposite a two star review of Menlo Park's The Acorn) suggests that it
is part of the same family that runs the Pleasanton Fernando's, which
you reviewed in ba.food (on my birthday) last year.

- Mark "should Google before posting [1]" Mellin

[1] To wit: The Carpaccio/Capellini connection had been well discussed
previous to my enlightenment.

--
Mark Mellin San Mateo/Glendale Village, CA 94403 USA

Bill Woodcock

Oct 18, 2003, 9:42:34 PM10/18/03

evergene

Oct 19, 2003, 1:25:12 PM10/19/03

Steve Wertz wrote:
>I use the Minor's Brand of stock. They're what most restaurants use,
>I beleive. You should try 'em if you haven't already.

I haven't tried either Better Than Bouillon or Minor's, so I can't
compare. Redi-Base stock bases are pastes (beef, chicken, and seafood)
or powders (demi-glace). I usually don't use the bases by themselves,
rather I add them to real ingredients like chicken or beef or fish,
whether the dish is a soup or an entree. A soup flavored solely with
Redi-Base stock wouldn't be very good.

Meg Worley

Oct 19, 2003, 2:38:32 PM10/19/03

Gene writes:
>I haven't tried either Better Than Bouillon or Minor's, so I can't
>compare. Redi-Base stock bases are pastes (beef, chicken, and seafood)
>or powders (demi-glace). I usually don't use the bases by themselves,
>rather I add them to real ingredients like chicken or beef or fish,
>whether the dish is a soup or an entree. A soup flavored solely with
>Redi-Base stock wouldn't be very good.

I haven't tried Redi-Base or Minor's, but I'm ready to testify before
Congress that Better Than Bouillon is Worse Than Water. I threw the
jar out, not even bothering to offer it to the neighborhood cat. It
gave my stock (made with real ingredients, as you say) a narsty
shampoo-y taste. And real shampoo is much cheaper.

Rage away,

meg

--

Meg Worley _._ m...@steam.stanford.edu _._ Comparatively Literate

Todd Michel McComb

Oct 19, 2003, 3:08:09 PM10/19/03
In article <bmuln8$4hl$1...@news.Stanford.EDU>,

Meg Worley <m...@steam.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>I haven't tried Redi-Base or Minor's, but I'm ready to testify
>before Congress that Better Than Bouillon is Worse Than Water.

We've used the Penzey's (I guess that's "Redi-Base") with some
success. Like Gene, we only use it when stock seems to be a minor
part of the dish, but it has been more than satisfactory.