Three great meals under $5

John Shipman

Aug 25, 1992, 11:00:47 PM8/25/92
By "great meals" I mean that in both senses of the word: good
tasting, and filling.

#1: Togo's, large #16, $3.99. Outlets everywhere.

This is the standard Italian submarine-type sandwich. I
started eating these in 1972 at the original Togo's on
William Street in downtown San Jose (hard by SJSU) long
before they became a chain, but the product you get at any
Togo's outlet is not significantly different than what I
remember. Three meats and two cheeses (cotto salami, Genoa
salami, capicolla, provolone, mortadella), lettuce, onion,
pickles, and peppers on a roll. Normally I don't care
much for sandwich shops, but this is a real meal. It
tastes better if you can let it sit for an hour or two
and let the flavors marry.

#2: Passage to India, lunch buffet, $4.99. On El Camino
just (logical) north of Castro, Mountain View.

This place has been reviewed by several folks recently. I
ate there just last week and it was still great. The
selection is broad, all the dishes are a cut above average
for Indian places around here, and you can go back for more.
If you get there late in the lunch hour, the food on the
buffet may be a bit depleted, but they will bring more out
of the back; in particular, they will bring you fresh bread.

#3: Chef Wang's, Tan Tan Noodle, $4.30. On Castro right
next to Sue's Kitchen, Mountain View.

I heard about this place from the net some time ago, but no
one has mentioned it recently. I learned how to make a dish
called "don don noodles" from a cookbook some time ago. It
is typically a meatless dish sold by wandering street
vendors in China; the staple ingredient is sesame paste
(the recipe I have says you can substitute peanut butter
for this). But at Chef Wang's, it is a *very* meaty sauce
poured over a large bowl of fresh-pulled homemade noodles.
I don't care for sea cucumber, but you can ask them to leave
this ingredient out. There is still plenty of coarse-ground
pork and even a couple of shrimp in the sauce, and the
noodles are excellent, Chef Wang's specialty.

John Shipman (jo...@nmt.edu)

Charleen Bunjiovianna

Aug 26, 1992, 10:17:27 AM8/26/92
In article <920826030...@minos.nmt.edu> j...@MINOS.NMT.EDU (John Shipman) writes:

>#2: Passage to India, lunch buffet, $4.99. On El Camino
>just (logical) north of Castro, Mountain View.
>
>This place has been reviewed by several folks recently. I
>ate there just last week and it was still great. The
>selection is broad, all the dishes are a cut above average
>for Indian places around here, and you can go back for more.

Not to start the Indian buffet wars again... I've eaten at quite a few
Bay Area Indian restaurants (having this Indian food addiction the size
of an elephant), and Passage to India's buffet is okay, but just. It
has three prime virtues for me: low cost, speed and dessert. I eat there
when I have about twenty minutes to spare for lunch. Unfortunately,
the spicy dishes aren't, and odds are today's curry chicken was last
night's tandoori. Unsettling. They also don't use basmati rice; have
you noticed?

I like Jeanne's Empress of India because she makes everything fresh
that morning, has three different interestingly-spiced vegetable dishes
and occasionally comes up with wonderful fresh fruit, like plums the
size of baseballs. It's $6.99, but you really do get what you pay for.

Charleen
--
This IBM service rep, hardware engineer, and software engineer were driving
down the road one day and they had a flat. The service rep wanted to replace

J...@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu

Aug 26, 1992, 1:03:44 PM8/26/92
Never forget the Guadalahara(sp) Market, GREAT burritos for $4.00
One on San Antonio between 2nd and 3rd, and one on N10th at Taylor(or
is it Empire?), both in San Jose. Jim Hodgers

Sharen A. Rund

Aug 26, 1992, 1:55:54 PM8/26/92
In article <920826030...@minos.nmt.edu> j...@MINOS.NMT.EDU (John Shipman) writes:
>By "great meals" I mean that in both senses of the word: good
>tasting, and filling.
>
>#1: Togo's, large #16, $3.99. Outlets everywhere.
>
>This is the standard Italian submarine-type sandwich. I
>started eating these in 1972 at the original Togo's on
>William Street in downtown San Jose (hard by SJSU) long
>before they became a chain, but the product you get at any

I had heard that they started near Colma

--
________________ __ ________________ "They that can give up
\_________ \ /_ \ / _________/ essential liberty to

Greg Bullough

Aug 26, 1992, 2:52:39 PM8/26/92
In article <920826030...@minos.nmt.edu> j...@MINOS.NMT.EDU (John Shipman) writes:
>By "great meals" I mean that in both senses of the word: good
>tasting, and filling.
>
>#1: Togo's, large #16, $3.99. Outlets everywhere.
>
> Three meats and two cheeses (cotto salami, Genoa
>salami, capicolla, provolone, mortadella), lettuce, onion,
>pickles, and peppers on a roll.
>much for sandwich shops, but this is a real meal. It
>tastes better if you can let it sit for an hour or two
>and let the flavors marry.

Warning: do not eat one of these prior to:

1) a car trip on winding roads
2) ...or during a ride on a sailboat
3) a flying lesson which includes aerobatics

From experience,

Greg

Joanne Spetz

Aug 26, 1992, 5:05:13 PM8/26/92

J. Eric Townsend

Aug 26, 1992, 10:16:05 AM8/26/92
"JMH" == JMH <J...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> writes:
JMH> Never forget the Guadalahara(sp) Market, GREAT burritos for $4.00

What about La Castena at Middlefield and Rengstroff? Great black bean
(no lard) and rice burrito for $2.05

--
J. Eric Townsend -- j...@nas.nasa.gov -- 415.604.4311
'91 CB750, soon to be replaced by a '92 R100R, DoD# 0378

Richard Clark

Aug 26, 1992, 6:42:35 PM8/26/92
J...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

Guadalajara Markey and Bakery #2 is on 10th and Empire. And don't
forget about "Una Mas" (1 location at 1st and Tamien, the other off of
El Camino 1 block south of the 85) -- a burrito, quesadilla, or taco
(including fish tacos and a *salmon* taco which you have to taste to
believe) and a drink (soda, Jamaica, Horchata, lemonade, or homemade
Agua Fresca) for around $5.)

...Richard

--
Richard Clark Instructor/Course Designer, Developer University Apple Comp.

--
Richard Clark Instructor/Course Designer, Developer University Apple Comp.

A L L E N --exLabA

Aug 26, 1992, 7:32:02 PM8/26/92
In article <920826030...@minos.nmt.edu> j...@MINOS.NMT.EDU (John Shipman) writes:
>By "great meals" I mean that in both senses of the word: good
>tasting, and filling.
>
>#1: Togo's, large #16, $3.99. Outlets everywhere.
>
>This is the standard Italian submarine-type sandwich. I
>started eating these in 1972 at the original Togo's on
>William Street in downtown San Jose (hard by SJSU) long
>before they became a chain, but the product you get at any
>Togo's outlet is not significantly different than what I
>remember. Three meats and two cheeses (cotto salami, Genoa
>salami, capicolla, provolone, mortadella), lettuce, onion,
>pickles, and peppers on a roll. Normally I don't care
>much for sandwich shops, but this is a real meal. It
>tastes better if you can let it sit for an hour or two
>and let the flavors marry.

Togo's bread is wonder bread tht happens to look like a
sandwitch roll!

For a really good sandwitch, try IB Hoagies on Durant@Telegraph
in Bezerkeley!

ALLEN

Susan Cole

Aug 26, 1992, 10:22:56 PM8/26/92
Burritos (specifically chicken burritos with black beans) are one of my
favorite meals. My favorite places to get good ones to go in the Palo Alto
area are:

MexTogo on El Camino near Santa Cruz in Menlo Park

Senor Taco on El Camino in South Palo Alto north of Arastradero
This place will fool you. It looks like a burger stand and I think
it's still painted pink. For years I assumed it had cheap Taco Bell
style food, but the burritos, at least, are very good.
But if you want black beans instead of refried you have to ask
(and it's 25 cents extra for some reason).

Taqueria La Bamba on Middlefield near the corner of Rengstorff
in Mt. View. Right next to La Costena, whose burritos
are more "have it your way" and are preferred by many.

Giant burritos are $4-$5 at all three places.

Additions to this list are welcome!

J...@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu

Aug 27, 1992, 10:51:41 AM8/27/92
Try Tacos El Camino on El Camino in south Redwood City across from
the bowling alley. Although I have not eaten there in about 5 years
(moved to San Jose), I remember thier burritos as being large and good.
Jim

Louis Jaffe

Aug 27, 1992, 11:06:03 AM8/27/92
Well, as long as we're on the subject of burritos...

If any of those assembled will be pursuing the under $5 bargain in
San Francisco, here are three suggestions in the Mission district:

Casa Sanchez, 24th St off Potrero; La Cumbre and El Toro, approximately
across the street from each other on Valencia S of 16th. All three of
these give you a large-size burrito with all the trimmings for $3 to
$3.50.

Casa Sanchez is the best deal, but has the least restaurant amenities and
is on a tough part of 24th. El Toro is unusual in offering a black bean
option, and also has the largest assortment of plates including carnitas,
etc. There's often a line-- it seems that everybody in the world eats here--
but the turnover is so fast that you can find a table with no problem.

LJ

Chris Christensen

Aug 27, 1992, 12:20:00 PM8/27/92
No list of good burito joints would be complete without
Pollo's on Grant road by El Camino in Mountain View. There Pollo Burito is good!

Taqueria La Bamba is still my favorite.

Malcolm Humes

Aug 27, 1992, 12:41:46 PM8/27/92

Everything else I saw was south basy - here's some east bay and San Francisco
ideas.

If you're around Berkeley, check out a small Chinese place on University
between Martin Luther King and Sacramento, on the right side if you're headed
towards the bay. I forget the name, but I dropped in last night during laundry
and grabbed a spring roll folr 55 cents, and the spring rolls are 3 times
the size of any I've seen anywhere else. They have a variety of meat, fish
and veggie meals and the typical entree is $2.55 including rice, for a large
serving.

Also, on the burrito trail - Zona Rosa on Telegraph and also on Haight in
San Francisco have some very nice meals almost all under the $5 range. Plus
Andronico's cash register reciepts have $1 off coupons for Zona Rosa...

But my favorite burrito is in San Francisco at Pancho Villa on 16th between
Misson and Valencia. Huge portions and the best veggie super burritos I
ever found yet. They have a sister restaraunt a block away at 17th and
Valencia called El Toro. Both seem to do a very high volume of business
but are very fast and veyr good.

Another cheap stop for a quick veggie meal is George's Deli on 14th at
Church - they make a great falafel, but the place is take out only.

- Malcolm

James D. Jones

Aug 27, 1992, 2:00:21 PM8/27/92
I have to offer the Santa Cruz option here: Taqueria Vallarta on
Soquel Ave., near the corner of Branciforte (same block as Shopper's
Corner). They serve a quite large meat/rice/bean/salsa burrito for $3.40, or
load it up with sour cream, cheese, and guacamole for an extra 50 cents.

They also have "plates" for $5.50, which consist of a generous portion of
your choice of meat (carne asade, carnitas, chicken, tongue, etc).
along separate piles of beans, rice, cheese, some guacamole and sour cream,
and a foil wrapper with 6-7 hot junior-sized tortillas). I usually use the
ingredients to make my own tacos. Takes me a _while_ to finish a plate.

Keyvan Behnia

Aug 27, 1992, 2:17:54 PM8/27/92
In article 7149...@wrs.com, mal...@wrs.com (Malcolm Humes) writes:

>But my favorite burrito is in San Francisco at Pancho Villa on 16th between
>Misson and Valencia. Huge portions and the best veggie super burritos I
>ever found yet. They have a sister restaraunt a block away at 17th and
>Valencia called El Toro. Both seem to do a very high volume of business
>but are very fast and veyr good.

Pnacho Villa, the 8th wonder of the world. But a burrito is so, urm, boring and big.
try the taco al pastor. it is the best i have had outside mexico. if you south bay
folks know a place with has good al pastor, let us know. Also a must at PV is the
shrimp and peppers dinner. $5.95 only, amazing. also the chicken asada tacos are yummy.
the other thing that must be noted about PV is that it is one of the cleanest mexican
restaurant that I have ever been too. and perhaps that is why is is so successful.

Keyvan

Margaret Woo

Aug 27, 1992, 12:26:14 PM8/27/92

Addition: Rosita's Taqueria on 5th Avenue in Redwood City (1.5 blocks
east of El Camino). Their special steak burrito is fantastic!

Margaret

Rasmus Lerdorf

Aug 27, 1992, 7:34:08 PM8/27/92
mw...@pyrnova.mis.pyramid.com (Margaret Woo) writes:

>Addition: Rosita's Taqueria on 5th Avenue in Redwood City (1.5 blocks
>east of El Camino). Their special steak burrito is fantastic!

You have missed the best Burrito place in the Bay Area! It is in
Mountain View at N. Rengstorff and Old Middlefield Rd. On the South
East corner of that intersection. Called La Costenia or something like
that. Strange little place in the back of a Mexican store and it is
take-out only, but their super burritos are the best and biggest burritos
anywhere and they can easily feed 4. They have smaller ones too.

--
Rasmus Lerdorf _ _ _ _ Nutec North America
Product Manager _ _ _ _ _ _ 2629 Terminal Blvd.

Jon von Zelowitz

Aug 27, 1992, 9:48:38 PM8/27/92
In article <BtnDy...@well.sf.ca.us> lo...@well.sf.ca.us (Louis Jaffe) writes:
>Well, as long as we're on the subject of burritos...
>Casa Sanchez, 24th St off Potrero; La Cumbre and El Toro, approximately
>across the street from each other on Valencia S of 16th.

Right on. And don't forget Pancho Villa on 16th bet. Mission & Valencia.
It's many peoples' favorite. However, Sanchez does offer unlimited free
homemade chips and salsa.

>Casa Sanchez is the best deal, but has the least restaurant amenities and
>is on a tough part of 24th.

Now hang on, pal. I live around the corner from Sanchez. This is the NICE
part of 24th Street. :-) 16th and Mission (where the other places are) is
tougher than here!

>El Toro is unusual in offering a black bean
>option, and also has the largest assortment of plates including carnitas,

Black beans are also found at Pancho Villa, in addition to tasty prawns.

Jon von Zelowitz vonz...@adobe.com ...sun!adobe!vonzelow

Susan Cole

Aug 27, 1992, 12:47:48 PM8/27/92
In article <38...@unix.SRI.COM> I write:

> Senor Taco on El Camino in South Palo Alto north of Arastradero
> This place will fool you. It looks like a burger stand and I think
> it's still painted pink. For years I assumed it had cheap Taco Bell
> style food, but the burritos, at least, are very good.
> But if you want black beans instead of refried you have to ask
> (and it's 25 cents extra for some reason).

Just to forestall the inevitable corrections: I drove by the place
this morning. It isn't pink anymore; it's a nondescript dark greenish
gray (well, I guess I just descripted it :-) ). And while is is north
(meaning towards S.F.) of Arastradero, it's *quite a bit* north, maybe
half a mile or so.

Chris Christensen

Aug 28, 1992, 1:02:19 PM8/28/92
rler...@netcom.com (Rasmus Lerdorf) writes:

>You have missed the best Burrito place in the Bay Area! It is in
>Mountain View at N. Rengstorff and Old Middlefield Rd. On the South
>East corner of that intersection. Called La Costenia or something like
>that. Strange little place in the back of a Mexican store and it is
>take-out only, but their super burritos are the best and biggest burritos
>anywhere and they can easily feed 4. They have smaller ones too.

While I would say the best place was three doors down at Taqueria La Bamba,
You are right La Costenia is also very good. I would recomend the Chiken Mole'
Burito at La Costenia. Very good and a little different from the usual.
At Taqueria La Bamba I would recomend the Carnitas and Al Pastur (both Pork).

J. Eric Townsend

Aug 28, 1992, 1:42:36 PM8/28/92
"vonzelow" == Jon von Zelowitz <vonz...@adobe.com> writes:

vonzelow> In article <BtnDy...@well.sf.ca.us> lo...@well.sf.ca.us (Louis Jaffe) writes:
vonzelow> Right on. And don't forget Pancho Villa on 16th bet. Mission
vonzelow> & Valencia. It's many peoples' favorite. However, Sanchez
vonzelow> does offer unlimited free homemade chips and salsa.

What is the problem with mexican restraunts "out here" when it comes
to chips and salsa? I've had to *pay* for chips and salsa at about
half the places I've tried.

In Houston (arguably a home of some of the best tex-mex and mex-mex
restaurants) chips and salsa are always free. In 6 years I didn't
encounter a restaurant where they weren't. (This excludes, of course,
places like Two Pesos and Taco Hell.) Some restaurants not only had
free chips and salsa, but they had other spicy toppings (pickled
onions, carrots and jalapenos) for free as well.

As an example, El Paso Cafe tries to be tex-mex. It fails on several
counts:
- no service. Only bars have no service.
- chips/salsa cost money
- iced tea comes in what would be juice glasses in texas
- too much avocado in everything :-)

While I'm on this little rant, I also don't understand what the
problem is with iced tea "out here". Iced tea should only be served
in 32oz plastic tumblers which are only about half full of ice. One
should not have to ask for more tea until at least halfway through a
meal...

umount /soapbox

Terry Fong

Aug 28, 1992, 2:04:01 PM8/28/92
Just to throw in my 2 cents... My two favorite burrito places in the
Oakland/Berkeley area are:

The Burrito Shop (aka "College Avenue Burritos"), actually has 4
locations (5359 College Avenue, Oakland. 3843 Castro Valley Blvd,
Castro Valley. 20500 Hesperian, Hayward. and 3256 Lakeshore Ave.,
Oakland). They make the absolute best veggie burritos around (sorry La
Costena) with lots of cilantro tomatoes, cheddar, whole pintos, and
rice. Whole wheat tortilla optional.

Cactus Tacqueria (near Rockridge BART on College Avenue, Oakland).
Really good Pollo Verde and Pollo Asado (the Vegetables Asado is
pretty good as well) for $3.25 including lots of chips. Almost as good
as Pollo's in Mt. View!

-Terry

P.S. Can anyone REALLY eat an ENTIRE burrito from La Bamba alone...

P.P.S. La Bamba has a sister store in Richmond or San Pablo (on San
Pablo Ave, Rt-123).

"You do not understand anything | Terry Fong <te...@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
until you understand it in more | NASA Ames, M/S 269-3, Moffett Field, CA
than one way..." -- Marvin Minsky | (415) 604-6063, FTS-464-6063

Stefan Michalowski

Aug 28, 1992, 4:35:18 PM8/28/92
In article <BtnDy...@well.sf.ca.us> lo...@well.sf.ca.us (Louis Jaffe) writes:
>Well, as long as we're on the subject of burritos...
>
>If any of those assembled will be pursuing the under $5 bargain in
>San Francisco, here are three suggestions in the Mission district:
>
>Casa Sanchez, 24th St off Potrero; La Cumbre and El Toro, approximately
>across the street from each other on Valencia S of 16th. All three of
>these give you a large-size burrito with all the trimmings for $3 to
>$3.50.

In my opinion, you'll get a much better burrito ay La Taqueria at
Mission and 25th. Almost as good is the place next door, which seems
to be run by the people who moved out of La Taqueria a few months
ago. Another great Burrito place is at 18th and Folsom.

SM

Curtis Jackson

Aug 28, 1992, 5:08:52 PM8/28/92
In article <JET.92Au...@win30.nas.nasa.gov> j...@win30.nas.nasa.gov (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
}While I'm on this little rant, I also don't understand what the
}problem is with iced tea "out here". Iced tea should only be served
}in 32oz plastic tumblers which are only about half full of ice. One
}should not have to ask for more tea until at least halfway through a
}meal...

You are correct, of course. Please go back to Houston immediately
before you go into anaphelactic shock from lack of large plastic
tumblers.

And don't let the door hit you on the way out....
--
Curtis Jackson cjac...@mv.us.adobe.com (415) 962 4905
Adobe Systems, 1585 Charleston Rd., POB 7900, Mountain View, CA 94039-7900

Sharen A. Rund

Aug 28, 1992, 5:04:57 PM8/28/92

>What is the problem with mexican restraunts "out here" when it comes
>to chips and salsa? I've had to *pay* for chips and salsa at about
>half the places I've tried.
>
>As an example, El Paso Cafe tries to be tex-mex. It fails on several
>counts:
> - no service. Only bars have no service.
> - chips/salsa cost money
> - iced tea comes in what would be juice glasses in texas
> - too much avocado in everything :-)

While I've never been to El Paso Cafe - I've never had to pay extra for
chips and salsa around here - in fact most places bring you refills
on the chips and salsa w/o having to ask

>While I'm on this little rant, I also don't understand what the
>problem is with iced tea "out here". Iced tea should only be served
>in 32oz plastic tumblers which are only about half full of ice. One
>should not have to ask for more tea until at least halfway through a
>meal...

again, most places here keep refilling my ice tea glass(es) - to the
point that I have to stop them when I get full

my favorite Mexican restaurant is Zuniga's - its at the Watsonville
airport and I have yet to find a place that can beat them for good
basic Mexican food - if you want fancier food, where you can get
the more upscale fish, etc dishes and black beans, I've recently
discovered Las Palapas (sp?) in Seascape - the best burritos to be
had, for the cheapest price is Hectors Panderia(sp?) on Airport
Blvd in Watsonville (all the local CHP, etc stop in there for
buttitos) - further into town (Watsonville) is Jalisco - nice
atmosphere, pretty good Mexican food (they make the guacamole
tableside), on your way back out of Watsonville on Main (Hwy 152)
is Cilantros (has affiliates in Santa Cruz) which has good Mexican
food too, and across the street is a little fast food place
Tuson Taqueria (they charge for the chips) but they have all the
salsa and pickled carrots/peppers/onions you can handle - oh, I almost
forgot, in Freedom (next door to Watsonville) is Rosa's Roticeria -
she has roasted chicken and other things with a table of salsa's
that range from sweet to so hot she has a scull & crossbones on the
dish.....

James D. Jones

Aug 28, 1992, 6:09:53 PM8/28/92
In article <JET.92Au...@win30.nas.nasa.gov> j...@win30.nas.nasa.gov (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>In Houston (arguably a home of some of the best tex-mex and mex-mex
>restaurants) chips and salsa are always free. In 6 years I didn't
>encounter a restaurant where they weren't. (This excludes, of course,
>places like Two Pesos and Taco Hell.) Some restaurants not only had
>free chips and salsa, but they had other spicy toppings (pickled
>onions, carrots and jalapenos) for free as well.

My neighborhood taqueria offers all those toppings, two kinds of salsa, and
a bowl of radishes on every table. Sounds like you been hangin' at the wrong
places. Chips are not usually provided at taquerias out here. Pancho Villa's
the only place I've seen that throws chips in with a take-out burrito, but
PV's is not really just a taqueria

Roger Taranto

Aug 28, 1992, 10:23:38 PM8/28/92
In article <920826030...@minos.nmt.edu> j...@MINOS.NMT.EDU (John Shipman) writes:
>#3: Chef Wang's, Tan Tan Noodle, $4.30. On Castro right
>next to Sue's Kitchen, Mountain View.

I suggest you avoid the cream sauce.

-Roger
r...@ingres.com

Louis Jaffe

Aug 30, 1992, 3:45:46 PM8/30/92
As mentioned earlier, Casa Sanchez (24th & York, SF), includes chips
and salsa with takeout burritos at no added cost. They give you the
foil-wrapped burrito in a paper bag which you then fill with chips
from a self-service bowl kept warm under a heatlamp. Three kinds of
salsa are offered, with little takeout cups you fill up. They don't
care how many of these you take. LJ

Colonel Panic

Aug 31, 1992, 10:25:27 PM8/31/92
In article <1992Aug26.2...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60...@volga.Berkeley.EDU (A L L E N --exLabA) writes:
>>#1: Togo's, large #16, $3.99. Outlets everywhere.
>>
>Togo's bread is wonder bread tht happens to look like a
>sandwitch roll!

Yeah, but if you care anything about bread, why get the white "bread" in the
first place? Togos offers wheat and onion rolls.

--
Alan Denney al...@informix.com {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

I'm Pro-Anarchy... and I Vote!

Bill Shearer (Budman)

Sep 1, 1992, 2:53:57 PM9/1/92

#1: Togo's, large #16, $3.99. Outlets everywhere.

This is the standard Italian submarine-type sandwich. I

started eating these in 1972 at the original Togo's on
William Street in downtown San Jose (hard by SJSU) long
before they became a chain, but the product you get at any
Togo's outlet is not significantly different than what I
remember. Three meats and two cheeses (cotto salami, Genoa

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

salami, capicolla, provolone, mortadella), lettuce, onion,

pickles, and peppers on a roll. Normally I don't care

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

much for sandwich shops, but this is a real meal. It
tastes better if you can let it sit for an hour or two
and let the flavors marry.

A small correction on the ingredients, that's 4 meats and one cheese.
Mortadella is a type of bologna, and the sandwich also comes with tomatoes
if desired.

---

_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/ _/_/
_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/
_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/
_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/ _/_/
_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/_/

Bill Shearer bshe...@budman.corp.sun.com Sun Microsystems Mtn.View,CA

Lynn Gold

Aug 20, 1992, 1:28:06 AM8/20/92

I'll second the nomination of Pollo's. They make VERY fresh chicken
and they're not a chain.

When going to Taqueria La Bamba, I also like the pupusas. IMHO,
they're not as good as the ones from El Calderon in Mtn. View (corner
of Calderon Ave. and Church St., about a block in from El Camino),
but you can get them any time of day and they're still quite tasty.

--Lynn
--
M3VMA>2P@;TM!62$@($D@8V]N9F5S<RXN+@H*1&5E<"!D;W=N(&EN('1H92!D
M965P97-T(&)O=VQS(&]F(&UE+"!))VT@82!"040@4DE'2%1%4B$@($)U="!S

Julie Dubbs

Sep 3, 1992, 7:29:34 PM9/3/92
La Azteca in Redwood City has very tastey, very cheap mexican food.
It's at 1531 Main close to Five Points (intersection of Woodside Rd.,
El Camino, and Main St.). I used to love their carnitas but now
that I'm a vegetarian my favorite dish is the chile relleno dinner
for $4.95.

Speaking of chile rellenos, absolutely scrumptuous, hot, and filing
ones (actually two per plate) can be found at Tony's in Redwood City
on the east side of Middlefield Road south of Woodside Rd. (Don't
know the cross street but it's a little farther south than the railroad
crossing) The homemade tortillas they serve with the meal are the best
I've ever had anywhere. Tony's has a wide assortment of items, mostly
american food with a small submenu of mexican dishes.

Julie
du...@unix.sri.com

< Gary H >

Sep 2, 1992, 8:26:09 PM9/2/92

Does anyone know where I can get a Carne Asada Burrito just like they make it at
Robertos in San Diego (besides going down to SD)?? I love their food.

Gary
--
@ _) / Santa Cruz, California 95061 |
| ,___| / W: [408] 457-0195 x7765 / Fax: [408] 429-1887 /
| / \_______________________________________________/
/____\ The Santa Cruz Operation (SCO), Inc.

Jim Hunt

Sep 8, 1992, 7:02:11 PM9/8/92
In article <1992Sep03.0...@sco.com> ga...@sco.COM (< Gary H >) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can get a Carne Asada Burrito just like they make it at
>Robertos in San Diego (besides going down to SD)?? I love their food.

Not in scruz, but if you can get to Palo Alto, on El Camino, about
two or three lights south of Page Mill / Oregon Expwy is a place
called Senor Taco, that looks just like a Robertos, i.e. a dive.

Their Carne Asada isn't exactly right, but they make a pork version
they call Carnitas that is very close to what you want.

They also do the exact same three rolled tacos as Robertos, and my
favorite, the Chorizo and Egg burrito.

The owner actually studied at Robertos before he opened this place.

Tell him the guy in the "converted" car sent you.

jim "I gain ten pounds every time I visit SD" hunt

--
jim hu...@Eng.Sun.COM yatta yatta disclaimer
George Bush is 68 years old and Dan Quayle is an idiot.

Sharen A. Rund

Sep 11, 1992, 3:24:19 PM9/11/92
In article <laqc7j...@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> hu...@squid.Eng.Sun.COM (Jim Hunt) writes:
>In article <1992Sep03.0...@sco.com> ga...@sco.COM (< Gary H >) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know where I can get a Carne Asada Burrito just like they make it at
>>Robertos in San Diego (besides going down to SD)?? I love their food.

I don't know about Robertos, but Taqueria La Bamba
2058 Old Middlefielf Rd, MV - 415-965-2755

their Quesadilla Zuisa (beef) is _to-die-for_ - it's $3.25 and
filled with beef, cheese, salsa....

plus, they deliver larger orders.......

Ken Wallich

Sep 14, 1992, 7:49:11 PM9/14/92
sha...@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com (Sharen A. Rund) writes:

[...]Taqueria La Bamba

their Quesadilla Zuisa (beef) is _to-die-for_ - it's $3.25 and
filled with beef, cheese, salsa....

Just so folks know, you can also have it filled with any of their
other meat choices, it's just the *default* quesadilla that comes with
beef. This isn't clear from their menu, which indicates that the
quesadilla comes one way only. I always order mine with their
mouth-watering carnitas. I've also tried an al-pastor one, but
carnitas is my personal favorite.

As far as a cheap meal, I'm a fairly large eater. Well, actually I'm
a really big eater (I can down one of their super burritos with ease),
but since I generally try to not give in to my appetite, I find that a
quesadilla is the best lunch bargain I've found. Large (at 15"
tortilla is used for theirs) and yummy. More than enough food for any
person with less mass than a small moon (at 6'3", I'm only the size of
a large asteroid :-).

--
Ken Wallich
wal...@ncd.com

Linda Hill

Sep 15, 1992, 10:06:00 AM9/15/92
In article <wallich.716514551@pepper> wal...@ncd.com (Ken Wallich) writes:
>sha...@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com (Sharen A. Rund) writes:
>
> [...]Taqueria La Bamba
> their Quesadilla Zuisa (beef) is _to-die-for_ - it's $3.25 and
> filled with beef, cheese, salsa....
>
>Just so folks know, you can also have it filled with any of their
>other meat choices, it's just the *default* quesadilla that comes with
>beef.

Do they fry or steam their quesadillas? Or do you have a choice?
--
Linda V. Hill Email: li...@net.com
Network Equipment Technologies Phone: (415) 780-5785

Sharen A. Rund

Sep 15, 1992, 12:30:54 PM9/15/92
In article <wallich.716514551@pepper> wal...@ncd.com (Ken Wallich) writes:
>sha...@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com (Sharen A. Rund) writes:
>
> [...]Taqueria La Bamba
> their Quesadilla Zuisa (beef) is _to-die-for_ - it's $3.25 and
> filled with beef, cheese, salsa....
>
>Just so folks know, you can also have it filled with any of their
>other meat choices, it's just the *default* quesadilla that comes with
>beef. This isn't clear from their menu, which indicates that the
>quesadilla comes one way only. I always order mine with their
>mouth-watering carnitas. I've also tried an al-pastor one, but
>carnitas is my personal favorite.

you can also ask for extra salsa and guacamole (extra charge for the
guacamole though)
the chicken filled one is good, but I prefer the beef

>As far as a cheap meal, I'm a fairly large eater. Well, actually I'm
>a really big eater (I can down one of their super burritos with ease),
>but since I generally try to not give in to my appetite, I find that a
>quesadilla is the best lunch bargain I've found. Large (at 15"
>tortilla is used for theirs) and yummy. More than enough food for any
>person with less mass than a small moon (at 6'3", I'm only the size of
>a large asteroid :-).

this is the truth - their burritos are _large_ like happy burro
up peninsula - enough for two people to split

>--
>Ken Wallich
>wal...@ncd.com
>k...@wallich.com

Sharen A. Rund

Sep 15, 1992, 12:33:43 PM9/15/92
In article <24...@unet.UUCP> li...@wendy.uucp (Linda Hill) writes:
>In article <wallich.716514551@pepper> wal...@ncd.com (Ken Wallich) writes:
>>sha...@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com (Sharen A. Rund) writes:
>>
>> [...]Taqueria La Bamba
>> their Quesadilla Zuisa (beef) is _to-die-for_ - it's $3.25 and
>> filled with beef, cheese, salsa....
>>
>>Just so folks know, you can also have it filled with any of their
>>other meat choices, it's just the *default* quesadilla that comes with
>>beef.
>
>Do they fry or steam their quesadillas? Or do you have a choice?

I suppose steam - they take the tortilla, fill it, wrap it up
and fold it up to make it easy to handle, then they double
wrap it in foil

is this the Linda Hill I know, who's married to Dave

>Linda V. Hill Email: li...@net.com

Ken Wallich

Sep 16, 1992, 2:06:30 PM9/16/92
sha...@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com (Sharen A. Rund) writes:
>In article <24...@unet.UUCP> li...@wendy.uucp (Linda Hill) writes:
>>>sha...@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com (Sharen A. Rund) writes:
>>> [...]Taqueria La Bamba[...]Quesadillas[...] (ahh, context -kw :-)

>>Do they fry or steam their quesadillas? Or do you have a choice?

>I suppose steam - they take the tortilla, fill it, wrap it up
>and fold it up to make it easy to handle, then they double
>wrap it in foil

Close. They take a tortilla, put some oil on the grill, and heat it
up. Then they fill it with all the goodies you've requested, and put
it back on the grill. This melts the cheese, and makes everything
just about the same temperature. Then they cut it in half (otherwise
it would still be 15" long :-), and put the two halves in foil. So,
the short answer is that they 'fry' it, and it does have a little oil
residue left over, but not much. It's mainly on the grill to heat the
insides up, and make the tortilla less 'doughy'.

So, no steaming is done that I'm aware of, they don't even have a
steamer in-house (unless they hide it way in the back). This is one
of the reasons I like La Bamba burritos over La Costena, since the
former heats them up on the grill (without oil), and the latter steams
them so that they barely hold together. Some people like that sort of
thing, I suppose.

dk smith

Oct 7, 1992, 5:18:34 AM10/7/92
OK. Where are the good burrito places near Cupertino. I am looking for
places that are of the same quality (or better) as La Bamba at
Rengstorf and Middlefield in Mtn View. La Bamba is just a bit to far
to travel for a quick (but good) burrito.

Thanx,
dk
---
d...@apple.com | Above opinions are mine and are not endorsed by Apple Computer
AppleLink: ULTIMATE | 408 974-1275 | Play Disc, Enjoy Disc, Live by SOTG

SE...@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu

Oct 7, 1992, 3:13:15 PM10/7/92

I suppose you want lunch...... this place isn't any closer than Mtn. View
but if you have time, it is a definite must go. Super Taqueria on 12th
street in SJ. They have also opened a place near Capitol Expressway.

Closer, and feasible for lunch, and just about as good as Super T is
a hole in the wall called Caramba. It is located on Mary and Washington
at Mary Manor Market. It is located in Sunnyvale. It is South American
and it is YUMMY!!!!!!! Their Yucca con Chicerone is excellent. (Cactus
with fried pork and salsa).

Perhaps you can post a summary if you get very many responses. I too
live in Cupertino.

Caio
Sharon

John Reece

Oct 8, 1992, 12:05:06 PM10/8/92
In article <73...@apple.Apple.COM>, d...@Apple.COM (dk smith) writes:
> OK. Where are the good burrito places near Cupertino. I am looking for
> places that are of the same quality (or better) as La Bamba at
> Rengstorf and Middlefield in Mtn View. La Bamba is just a bit to far
> to travel for a quick (but good) burrito.

Taquerias or any Mexican fast food places, particularly good ones, are kind
of rare in that part of the woods.

There's one of those grilled-chicken places, Cafe Salsa, at Prospect and
Saratoga-Sunnyvale. Haven't tried it.

An easier commute than to La Bamba takes you to Una Mas on E. El Camino Real
in Mt. View. Go north on 85, hang a right onto El. Camino, and once past the
Emporium start looking on the right. It's in an old Taco Bell building
next to an Ethan Allen furniture store. Haven't tried the burritos but
the carnitas tacos were great. 2 corn tortillas, heavy on the salsa and
carnitas, light on the beans, if there were any at all. A very popular
2 restaurant chain with plans to add 5 more soon.

--
John Reece "This lifeboat is full"
Not an Intel spokesman

Chuq Von Rospach

Oct 8, 1992, 1:54:29 PM10/8/92
jre...@sousa.intel.com (John Reece) writes:

>Taquerias or any Mexican fast food places, particularly good ones, are kind
>of rare in that part of the woods.

I like Taqueria de las Floras, which is on Winchester near the brewpub.
Not fast foodish, but some of the better tamales north of Southern Cal that
I've found.

>An easier commute than to La Bamba takes you to Una Mas on E. El Camino Real

I've tried La Bamba a couple of times and wasn't impressed. Iv'e heard it's
quality is off from when it got its rep, and I can believe it. When I feel
like a burrito and don't want to drive up to Senor Taco in Palo Alto, I grab
one from Bueno Bueno on El Camino real south of San Antonio. (showers? I
don't remember the road).

I tried Una Mas right after Scott blurbed it in the Merc. I dunno about fish
tacos or other weird stuff, but the burrito sucked. The tortilla was stale,
the fillings were mushy and tasteless, the meat was stringy (it was
chicken), the salsa was uninspired and it made me midly ill, even though I
only ate about half of it because it tasted about the same as your average
Taco Bell fare. To say I was unimpressed is an understatement.

Una Mas certainly is trendy, but you're paying somewhat of a premium for
it, and either their food preparation is really inconsistent (trying to
reconcile my meal and Scott's isn't easy) or they're pretty good at the
funky stuff and really horrible at the basics.

Give me Senor Taco any day. Except Sundays, of course, since they're
closed.

--
Chuq "IMHO" Von Rospach, ESD Support & Training (DAL/AUX) =+= Member, SFWA
ch...@apple.com | GEnie: MAC.BIGOT | ALink:CHUQ =+= Editor, OtherRealms

J. Eric Townsend

Oct 8, 1992, 2:33:12 PM10/8/92
"Chuq" == Chuq Von Rospach <ch...@Apple.COM> writes:

Chuq> I've tried La Bamba a couple of times and wasn't impressed. Iv'e

Go next door to La Costena, wonder into the back room, and get a
custom-made burrito for less... Their veggie burritos (rice and black
bean) run about $2.05 after tax, and often constitute an entire meal,
if not most of a day's food. First helping of extra rice or extra
beans is free, they charge a bit extra (dime or a quarter each) for
various toppings.

They've got bags of ginger pigs some days... (ginger cookies
shaped like pigs). Their sodas are cheaper, and they're a grocery
store as well...

--
J. Eric Townsend -- j...@nas.nasa.gov -- 415.604.4311

'92 R100R, DoD# 0378
"I love the iPSC/860.
The iPSC/860 is my friend." (repeat until your code runs...)

Jabba The Hutt

Oct 7, 1992, 9:42:29 PM10/7/92
In article <92281.11...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> SE...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
>In article <73...@apple.Apple.COM>, d...@Apple.COM (dk smith) says:
>>
>>OK. Where are the good burrito places near Cupertino.
.
.

.
>Closer, and feasible for lunch, and just about as good as Super T is
>a hole in the wall called Caramba. It is located on Mary and Washington
>at Mary Manor Market. It is located in Sunnyvale. It is South American
>and it is YUMMY!!!!!!! Their Yucca con Chicerone is excellent. (Cactus
>with fried pork and salsa).

I'LL SECOND YOUR MOTION FOR LUNCH AT CARAMBA'S!!! I've been there
many times over the years and it's G R E A T .

>Perhaps you can post a summary if you get very many responses. I too
>live in Cupertino.
>

>Caio
>Sharon

Jabba The Hutt
The ideas and concepts expressed herein
are neither those of my employer nor my own
Michael A. George Information Dynamics
j...@infodyn.COM 18337 Swarthmore Drive
(Voice) 408-370-1572 Saratoga, California 95070
(Fax) 408-370-1809
=> World Class Products For World Class Companies <=