SFLX 2008

Swin...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2008, 6:26:03 AM9/16/08
[Please note cross-posts.]

The tenth San Francisco Lindy Exchange <http://sflindyexchange.com/
2008> (SFLX), as experienced September 13, was fun! Not being Lindy
Hoppers, we went in the belief that we wouldn't dance much. The first
hour of recorded music provided by Jesse Miner, who did an absolutely
fantastic job, had us on the not-fast-enough floor even though we
didn't want to dance to recorded music.

We attended the Saturday night dance at the Regency Ballroom to hear
the Fil Lorenz Orchestra* <http://myspace.com/
collectivewestjazzorchestra>. I cannot fully express how blown away I
was by that evening's performance. Infuckingcredible! Smokin',
swingin', knockdown dragout shitkickin' body blastin' magic that blew
out all of my ancient body's aches and pains (but I had to haul myself
up the stairs with the banister after the break). I simply couldn't
sit. The band outwhelmed all unreasonable expectations. It was a total
blast! It could hold its own, if not battle into submission, any
fourteen-piece band I've ever heard.

We dancers seldom provide more than polite applause to musicians but
these six hundred or so dancers gave to this band the kind of
enthusiastic applause usually heard at a concert from an audience of
careful listeners. The final "How about this band?" applause was heart-
warmingly long, loud, and enthusiastic.

I didn't have to ask "How do you like the band?" because almost every
one of my too many dance partners had a blazing comment. I simply
couldn't sit. Even the promoter praised the band to me.

Leader Fil Lorenz spoke for other band members when told me "We had
lots of fun."

Vocalist Connie Champagne <http://conniechampagne.com/>, the
consummate professional, was a delight, looking and sounding
beautiful. And Danny Grewen <http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?
fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=186550363> was also in good form
and voice.

And I must comment on the back-lit music stands and their excellent
graphics. Just lovely.

'Round midnight, I asked "Where've you been hiding?" of a local
lovely. "I just got here. You know, bands always play too fast or too
slow or too long . . !"

"Not this band", I insisted. "You'da loved it!"

¡WOW!

After the band's sets, recorded music was provided in the former
Avalon Ballroom while everyone had had a chance to partake in an
excellent, and generous, spread consisting of every conceivable
version of pizza and a variety of meats and vegetables later augmented
by some doughnuts and fruit.

Then the room was divided having Blues dancing on one side and Lindy
Hopping on the other. The Dave Workman Band <http://
daveworkmanband.com/> was to start its first set at 02:00 but SWMBO
insisted, over my protestatory kickin' and screamin', that we leave.

What a fun night!

Thank you Ben Nathan, and staff, for putting on an excellent, great-
fun, and apparently successful event.

*The Fil Lorenz Orchestra née The Collective West Jazz Orchestra:
Saxophones - Lead Alto: Joe Cohen; Tenor: Peter Sparacino; Tenor: Doug
Rowen; Baritone/Leader: Fil Lorenz
Trombones - Lead/Vocalist: Danny Grewen; Rick Walsh; Bass: Brad
Martens
Trumpets - Lead: Neil Levonius; Henry Hung; Joel Ryan
Rhythm - Piano: Sam Grobe-Heintz; Bass: Tommy Folen; Drums: Jeff
Marrs; Guitar: Scott Foster