Dennis Richmond Retiring; KCAL9 Anchor Heads North

DavidFJackson

Oct 5, 2007, 12:12:55 PM10/5/07
Don't know if anyone else has noted that Dennis Richmond will be
retiring from KTVU (Channel 2). His replacement will be Dave Clark
from KCAL9 in Los Angeles, who will get himself acclimated on the KTVU
Morning News before taking over on the Ten O'Clock News.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2007/09/dave_clark_heads_north.php

http://cbs2.com/bios/local_bio_292125207.html

George Grapman

Oct 5, 2007, 12:35:37 PM10/5/07
How long has Dennis Richmond been there? Seems as if it has been
almost as long as I have lived here (late 70's).

Bornrich

Oct 5, 2007, 12:43:27 PM10/5/07

So Frank Sommervile is moving...where? Or is he leaving too?

Ellen

Oct 5, 2007, 12:59:35 PM10/5/07
> > DavidFJackson wrote:
> > > Don't know if anyone else has noted that Dennis Richmond will be
> > > retiring from KTVU (Channel 2). His replacement will be Dave Clark
> > > from KCAL9 in Los Angeles, who will get himself acclimated on the KTVU
> > > Morning News before taking over on the Ten O'Clock News.

Where did you read that Dennis is actually retiring? I do know he's
been an anchor at KTVU since about 1976. If the news is true then I
think it's time for a change.

DavidFJackson

Oct 5, 2007, 1:01:49 PM10/5/07
On Oct 5, 9:43 am, Bornrich <bornr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So Frank Sommervile is moving...where? Or is he leaving too?

Frank isn't going anywhere. Dave Clark will be co-anchoring the early
morning newscast temporarily so that he can learn the Channel 2 way of
doing things, become familiar with his new co-workers, get comfortable
with local place names ... and then he'll move to the Ten O'Clock
News.

This may not be happening until November.

David Kaye

Oct 5, 2007, 2:27:54 PM10/5/07
On Oct 5, 9:12 am, DavidFJackson <david.ferrell.jack...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Don't know if anyone else has noted that Dennis Richmond will be
> retiring from KTVU (Channel 2). His replacement will be Dave Clark
> from KCAL9 in Los Angeles [....]

On one level this sounds great -- equal opportunity in hiring, putting
a black person in a prime slot and all that. However, it just seems
to reek of "Hogan's Heroes" where the black guy quit the show and was
immediately replaced by another black guy with not so much as a word,
making it seem that "Oh well, black guys are interchangeable."

I'm also curious why they couldn't seem to groom a home-grown anchor
out of all the folks working there.

DavidFJackson

Oct 5, 2007, 3:51:48 PM10/5/07
On Oct 5, 11:27 am, David Kaye <sfdavidka...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On one level this sounds great -- equal opportunity in hiring, putting
> a black person in a prime slot and all that. However, it just seems
> to reek of "Hogan's Heroes" where the black guy quit the show and was
> immediately replaced by another black guy with not so much as a word,
> making it seem that "Oh well, black guys are interchangeable."

Gosh, I wonder if "he was the best candidate" came into consideration.
Do you think that the brass at KTVU, in looking to replace the great
Dennis Richmond, said "is there another black guy out there that we
can simply plug into his place?" rather than "who can help us maintain
our success with this newscast?"

I'm pretty sure there was very little thought put into this decision
beyond "who's black and available."

Looking at Dave Clark's bio, they're getting a double threat: "I'm a
licensed plumber, since age 17."

David Kaye

Oct 5, 2007, 4:57:31 PM10/5/07
On Oct 5, 12:51 pm, DavidFJackson <david.ferrell.jack...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you think that the brass at KTVU, in looking to replace the great
> Dennis Richmond, said "is there another black guy out there that we
> can simply plug into his place?" rather than "who can help us maintain
> our success with this newscast?"

I am enough of a conspiracy theorist to suggest that he is a black
plug-in. I'm not saying he's a bad choice, but first, is there
absolutely no known local talent? Tom Sinkovitz? What's he doing?
It just seems that KTVU went to LA to find a qualified black man
rather than stay at home and choose from the array of skilled and high
Q local talent.

I think KTVU will stub its toe if they feel that Dennis Richmond's
replacement has to be black. What Dennis has going for him is not
that he is black but that he is cool. He's not hot LA; he's cool Bay
Area. He's seen it all and is not going to wave his arms and send out
a copter to bring back pictures. He's going to write a reasonable
story and deliver it.

THAT is the essence of what's made KTVU work. When they jazz it up
the ratings go down. If it weren't for Dennis Richmond's cool keeping
it all together, KTVU would have spun out of control long ago and
they'd have become a poor also-ran.

David Kaye

Oct 5, 2007, 5:03:03 PM10/5/07
wrote:

> Gosh, I wonder if "he was the best candidate" came into consideration.

Oh dear....looking over his bio I find this: "Along with being a
newsman, Mr. Clark is a highly sought after professional announcer.
His voice on commercials has represented such products as Domino
Sugar, TV Guide Magazine, Bell Telephone, and for Presidential
election campaigns, notably the successful campaign of President Jimmy
Carter."

Not that I have anything against v/o people (I've done a little
myself), but jeez, first is that the kind of thing to put into a news
resume and second, do we want that kind of guy as a news anchor?
Would we ever trust Dennis Richmond again if he did a voice-over for
Glen Hartzeim's cars?

SoCal Tom

Oct 6, 2007, 2:33:19 AM10/6/07
"George Grapman" wrote

> How long has Dennis Richmond been there? Seems as if it has been almost
> as long as I have lived here (late 70's).

I remember Dennis from my college days near the Bay Area. I also remember
Dave Clark from down here.. Cool guy. I think he'll be a great replacement.

Oh, he's black? So what! What in the hell does skin color have to do with
reporting the news?

SoCal Tom

Steven

Oct 6, 2007, 5:22:19 AM10/6/07
On Oct 5, 1:51 pm, DavidFJackson <david.ferrell.jack...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I don't believe it will help him for a minute when it comes to the
network programming!

Steven

Oct 6, 2007, 5:23:53 AM10/6/07

It created at least six posts.

David Kaye

Oct 6, 2007, 5:27:00 AM10/6/07
On Oct 5, 11:33 pm, "SoCal Tom" <m...@champmail.net> wrote:

> Oh, he's black? So what! What in the hell does skin color have to do with
> reporting the news?

Assuming he is being hired because he's the very best they could find
at the price they wanted to pay, it doesn't matter. But if he's being
hired to replace a black guy with another black guy (that is, to head
off any complaints of discrimination from "black leaders"), then yes
it does matter.

Notice that SF mayor Gavin Newsom replaced supervisor Ed Jew (of
Chinese background) with Carmen Chu, also of Chinese background
recently. I don't think these things are happening by coincidence. I
think they're being done to head off any potential complaints from
minority community "leaders".

Again, is KTVU saying that NOBODY is available locally who has high Q
score and is willing to work for KTVU's wages so that they have to go
to LA to hire someone? I find that hard to believe. I have this
suspicion that they think they have nobody *black* who fits these
requirements. (Of course I wonder where Vernon Glenn is in all of
this, since he is incredibly able and is extremely likeable.)

RWW

Oct 7, 2007, 1:31:13 AM10/7/07
George Grapman wrote:

A long time, I agree.

But, boy, he has had a scowl on his face over the last few
months. He looked like he was going to smack someone off camera,
he looked so angry.

RWW

Oct 7, 2007, 1:46:11 AM10/7/07
David Kaye wrote:

This relates one of the things I've always found weird about local
news.

Local news in the Bay Area is every bit as embarassingly
unpolished and comical as it is in any smaller local market
in the U.S.

You never look at any of them and say, "Boy, he/she could
take over network news someday".

I think it has something to do with the schtick. Local
news has defined its roll to a embarassingly wierd schtick these
days. It's almost like the local newcasters are supposed
to be personality/comedians in between the stories. Very similar
to how sportscasting transitioned to comedy hour after
ESPN and Chris Berman took that scene by storm. Ever
since then, every local sportscaster has to be the comedian.

Highly disturbing, all of this!!

MediaDiva

Oct 7, 2007, 3:13:20 AM10/7/07

SF Bay Area news is "embarrassingly unpolished"? Well, I'll take our
local "polish" deficit any day over L.A. fluff. I've watched local
newscasts all over the country -- in small, medium and large markets
-- and SF Bay Area newsreporting is the best hands down (except maybe
KNTV 11 and sadly KRON, more often than not.) And as for no local
talent going national, SF native Lester Holt is working his butt off
at NBC. And back when KRON was an NBC affiliate, it had a lot of on
air staff that went on to the big show. So, if New York, L.A. and
Chicago are the polish you feel broadcasting should be with its fake
tanned, well-coiffed do's for both the men and ladies bubbleheads,
well I'll take San Francisco newscasts any day!

David Kaye

Oct 7, 2007, 8:26:41 AM10/7/07
On Oct 6, 10:46 pm, RWW <R...@rww.net> wrote:

> Local news in the Bay Area is every bit as embarassingly
> unpolished and comical as it is in any smaller local market
> in the U.S.

Huh? And what planet are you on again? I think Bay Area TV news is
quite well done. Sure, there aren't the copter chases, and thank
goodness for that. If that is what you consider polished news, then I
don't know what to tell you.

> You never look at any of them and say, "Boy, he/she could
> take over network news someday".

Oh? I'm not sure network news is the exalted place you think it is,
but I could imagine Dennis Richmond, Ken Bastida, Dan Ashley, Dan
Noyes, and several others on national news.

Also, people such as Spencer Christian (ABC's "Good Morning America"),
Bill Schechner (NBC's overnight news program), Sydnie Kohara (NBC's
London bureau) and Tony Russomanno (NBC Radio) already did national
network news before landing at local Bay Area stations. And then you
have people such as Hank Plante who worked the Washington Post's city
desk. What more are you looking for?

> It's almost like the local newcasters are supposed
> to be personality/comedians in between the stories.

Well, "happy talk" news was invented at KGO-TV and became a nationwide
phenomenon. But that was 30+ years ago. I think such a statement is
hardly appropriate today.

DavidFJackson

Oct 7, 2007, 11:08:20 AM10/7/07
>From Dennis Richmond's bio at KTVU.com:

{snip}
In 1969, while working for the station as a part-time clerk-typist,
Richmond won a scholarship to a special journalism program at Columbia
University in New York. Upon completion, he returned to KTVU Channel 2
and covered major Bay Area stories for the next seven years.

In 1976, Richmond was promoted to news anchor of "The Ten O'clock
News." In 1978, he was joined by Barbara Simpson, and in 1986 by
Elaine Corral, and then by Leslie Griffith in March 1998.
{/snip}

I'm not sure how long the special journalism program at Columbia
lasted, if (according to the bio) he was at KTVU in 1969, "covered
major Bay Area stories for the next seven years" and was promoted to
news anchor in 1976. A few weeks, perhaps?

He may be scowling more recently as a result of his aborted vacation
in Cabo San Lucas that was wrecked due to a hurricane...

John Higdon

Oct 7, 2007, 1:45:37 PM10/7/07

RWW <R...@rww.net> wrote:

>Local news in the Bay Area is every bit as embarassingly
>unpolished and comical as it is in any smaller local market
>in the U.S.

Could you give a specific example of what constitutes a "polished" and "non-comical"
presentation?

>You never look at any of them and say, "Boy, he/she could
>take over network news someday".

Since network news and local news are two completely different species and
cannot be directly compared, it does take a trained eye to spot "network
material". We have a number of people in the Bay Area who could easily fill
network positions without missing a beat.

>I think it has something to do with the schtick. Local
>news has defined its roll to a embarassingly wierd schtick these
>days. It's almost like the local newcasters are supposed
>to be personality/comedians in between the stories. Very similar
>to how sportscasting transitioned to comedy hour after
>ESPN and Chris Berman took that scene by storm. Ever
>since then, every local sportscaster has to be the comedian.

As I said, they are two different species. But now I'm confused. Are you
claiming that our local talent is deficient, or are you simply not enamored
with the genre known as "local news".

>Highly disturbing, all of this!!

That local news isn't and doesn't pretend to be network news? I'm not sure
I see why.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Steve Sinai

Oct 7, 2007, 11:54:18 PM10/7/07
I have to admit to not watching the KTVU 10 o'clock news since KGO
started doing news at 9 PM on channel 20, both because 9 PM is a
better time, and because the KTVU news isn't quite as good as it was a
few years ago. But...

The idea of replacing a retiring Dennis Richmond with a known and
likable entity like Tom Sinkovitz, rather than an unknown out-of-
towner, is a good one.

**********************
Also, the San Francisco Peninsula Press Club's website talked about an
email Dave Clark sent out containing the following: "... I have spent
the past year being 'wined and dined' and 'wooed' by the major TV
networks and top TV stations around the country. It has been
tremendously flattering and humbling experience. ... I will be
commuting home, and will continue to be active in prominent civic,
charitable and social activities in both Los Angeles and San Francisco
[and] continue appearing in Hollywood movies and on network TV shows
filmed in Hollywood ..."

If you want to destroy your credibility as an SF reporter, keep living
in LA and refer to it as "home."

J. Michael Scott

Oct 8, 2007, 3:33:36 AM10/8/07
On Oct 5, 9:43 am, Bornrich <bornr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So Frank Sommervile is moving...where? Or is he leaving too?

I doubt we'll get that lucky. ;)

J. Michael Scott

Oct 8, 2007, 3:35:45 AM10/8/07
On Oct 5, 10:01 am, DavidFJackson <david.ferrell.jack...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Frank isn't going anywhere.

Damn it!! I knew it. So we lose DR, but still are saddled with "the
Bay Area's own version of Ted Baxter" (tm). :(

J. Michael Scott

Oct 8, 2007, 3:39:32 AM10/8/07
On Oct 6, 10:31 pm, RWW <R...@rww.net> wrote:

> But, boy, he has had a scowl on his face over the last few
> months. He looked like he was going to smack someone off camera,
> he looked so angry.

Yeah, I agree. I recall when Bob Jones retired from KBLX a few years
ago. Dennis Richmond said in his tribute to Bob : "I"m only a few
years behind ya, buddy." Guess he wasn't kidding!

c319...@aol.com

Oct 8, 2007, 4:35:51 AM10/8/07
On Oct 7, 5:26 am, David Kaye <sfdavidka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, "happy talk" news was invented at KGO-TV and became a nationwide
> phenomenon. But that was 30+ years ago.

More like 40.

I agree with Mr. Kaye. This sends the message that there is no
journalist -- black, Asian, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, native
American or heaven forbid, Caucasian, of either gender -- who is
qualified to take over KTVU's 10 o'clock news, so they had to go to
Hollywood and hire a voice actor cum news anchor. It also sends the
message that KTVU doesn't have the scratch to lure Marc Brown away
from KABC-TV as their "black plug-in". What a slap in the face to the
community of bay area broadcast journalists. I wonder how Belva Davis
and Ben Williams would react.

I'm going to build a small TV/radio studio here in L.A. It will have
fiber links and I'm going to lease it to KTVU and KGO for use by Dave
Clark and Karel.

Steven

Oct 8, 2007, 6:10:25 AM10/8/07
On Oct 8, 2:35 am, c319ch...@aol.com wrote:
> On Oct 7, 5:26 am, David Kaye <sfdavidka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, "happy talk" news was invented at KGO-TV and became a nationwide
> > phenomenon. But that was 30+ years ago.
>
> More like 40.
>
> I agree with Mr. Kaye. This sends the message that there is no
> journalist -- black, Asian, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, native
> American or heaven forbid, Caucasian, of either gender -- who is
> qualified to take over KTVU's 10 o'clock news, so they had to go to
> Hollywood and hire a voice actor cum news anchor. It also sends the
> message that KTVU doesn't have the scratch to lure Marc Brown away
> from KABC-TV as their "black plug-in". What a slap in the face to the
> community of bay area broadcast journalists. I wonder how Belva Davis
> and Ben Williams would react.

How about "Damn! We don't have squat to plug in at Oakland"?

Maybe

Oct 8, 2007, 6:27:09 AM10/8/07
On Oct 5, 8:12?am, DavidFJackson <david.ferrell.jack...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>From Matier and Ross in the SF Chronicle on Sunday 10/7:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/07/BA1BSL4D4.DTL&type=politics

<Rumor mill: Lots of rumors, speculation and unhappiness swirling
around the KTVU newsroom over who will replace longtime anchor Dennis
Richmond, who has been telling folks he plans to calls it quits in May
after 30 years behind the desk at Channel 2.

The buzz went into overdrive when Dave Clark, who has anchored
newscasts at TV stations KCBS and KCAL in Los Angeles (Channels 2 and
9 for those who know their Southland dials), sent out an e-mail
informing friends that he was heading to Oakland to take over the
early morning anchor assignment from Mark Curtis starting Nov. 1.

In short order, KTVU issued a press release of its own announcing the
change - but not before bruising a few egos, including the outgoing
Curtis, who knew he was being replaced but not precisely when and by
whom.

The real capper, however, was Clark's private musings to friends - as
well as speculation in the newsroom - that he's being groomed for
Richmond's job.

Apparently, "Mornings on 2" anchor Frank Somerville has figured he's
Richmond's heir apparent.

Station general manager Tim McVay told us that any talk of Clark being
brought in to replace Richmond "would be news to me."<

Maybe...so Dennis Richmond isn't retiring until May

Steven

Oct 8, 2007, 6:41:49 AM10/8/07
On Oct 8, 4:27 am, Maybe <Maybeso...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 8:12?am, DavidFJackson <david.ferrell.jack...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Don't know if anyone else has noted that Dennis Richmond will be
> > retiring from KTVU (Channel 2). His replacement will be Dave Clark
> > from KCAL9 in Los Angeles, who will get himself acclimated on the KTVU
> > Morning News before taking over on the Ten O'Clock News.
>
> >http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2007/09/dave_clark_heads_north.php
>
> >http://cbs2.com/bios/local_bio_292125207.html
> >From Matier and Ross in the SF Chronicle on Sunday 10/7:
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/07/BA1BSL...

> <Rumor mill: Lots of rumors, speculation and unhappiness swirling
> around the KTVU newsroom over who will replace longtime anchor Dennis
> Richmond, who has been telling folks he plans to calls it quits in May
> after 30 years behind the desk at Channel 2.
>
> The buzz went into overdrive when Dave Clark, who has anchored
> newscasts at TV stations KCBS and KCAL in Los Angeles (Channels 2 and
> 9 for those who know their Southland dials), sent out an e-mail
> informing friends that he was heading to Oakland to take over the
> early morning anchor assignment from Mark Curtis starting Nov. 1.
>
> In short order, KTVU issued a press release of its own announcing the
> change - but not before bruising a few egos, including the outgoing
> Curtis, who knew he was being replaced but not precisely when and by
> whom.
>
> The real capper, however, was Clark's private musings to friends - as
> well as speculation in the newsroom - that he's being groomed for
> Richmond's job.
>
> Apparently, "Mornings on 2" anchor Frank Somerville has figured he's
> Richmond's heir apparent.
>
> Station general manager Tim McVay told us that any talk of Clark being
> brought in to replace Richmond "would be news to me."<
>
> Maybe...so Dennis Richmond isn't retiring until May

What you get for having a manager with a name too close to a guy that
co-committed the largest piece of homespun terrorism since 1864.

Bang_Vamberg

Oct 8, 2007, 10:51:39 AM10/8/07

wrote:
> Don't know if anyone else has noted that Dennis Richmond will be
> retiring from KTVU (Channel 2). His replacement will be Dave Clark
> from KCAL9 in Los Angeles, who will get himself acclimated on the KTVU
> Morning News before taking over on the Ten O'Clock News.

Wow--Dave Clark? Really??! I loved the records he put out years ago
when he had that pop band! "Catch us if ya can, hmmm-mmmmm..."

Steven

Oct 8, 2007, 9:39:11 PM10/8/07

I've got even odds on him being "Glad All Over".

Bang_Vamberg

Oct 10, 2007, 5:03:16 PM10/10/07
On Oct 8, 6:39?pm, Steven <thisjukeboxplays33...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've got even odds on him being "Glad All Over".

I just hope Dave won't "Try Too Hard" to keep "Bit And Pieces" of
Dennis Rickmond's style. "Because" if there's one thing I'd tell Dave
"Over And Over," it's just "Anyway You Want It," kid...