Melanie Morgan's Statement

DavidFJackson

Oct 3, 2005, 2:19:36 PM10/3/05
My contract with KSFO was set to expire on Friday. My agent had been in
negotiations with the station manager of KSFO (an ABC owned and
operated station).

We had already worked out the 'big issues' - I had agreed to a very
small increase in salary and did not have any major demands. I thought
everything would be routine.

During my time at KSFO we have emerged as one of the highest rated
local radio programs in the nation. Certainly the station had to
appreciate that!?!

But, for some reason, the negotiations hit a brick wall and I was asked
to accept a number of bizarre compromises. My agent tried to work
through the issues but I was told that for some reason the station was
playing hardball. I was told on Thursday that Friday morning would be
my last day of employment. I was to turn in my ABC card key that
allowed me access to the building.

Given what happened recently to another prominent ABC radio talk show
host (Michael Graham of WMAL-Washington D.C. was just fired from his
job) I obviously have been quite uncertain about what my fate will be.

My agent and I have been in contact with the station management. Since
I announced on the air on Friday that my employment with KSFO was over
the station has been flooded with phone calls and emails. I am hopeful
that in the coming week we can come to an agreement on the issues that
remain. Until then I will be off the air.

David Kaye

Oct 3, 2005, 2:40:46 PM10/3/05
DavidFJackson wrote:
> My contract with KSFO was set to expire on Friday. My agent had been in
> negotiations with the station manager of KSFO (an ABC owned and
> operated station).

Interesting. All this time I was under the impression she was employed
by Metro Traffic Control so as to avoid ABC's nepotism rules. Huh.
The things you learn.

John Higdon

Oct 3, 2005, 2:48:30 PM10/3/05
In article <1128364846.5...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Maybe the contract is with Metro.

--
John Higdon | Email Address Valid
+1 408 266 4400 | Sana Zay, CA

DavidFJackson

Oct 3, 2005, 2:57:43 PM10/3/05
Brian Maloney's blog also has this today
(http://radioequalizer.blogspot.com/2005/10/move-america-forward-head-loses.html):

> Adding to the strange circumstances in San Francisco: today in broadcast trade publication Inside Radio, an ad seeking a new KSFO program director was published. Respondents were to send materials to Operations Manager Jack Swanson, who happens to be Morgan's husband.

Lancer

Oct 3, 2005, 3:31:53 PM10/3/05
The contract is run through the metro company to avoid that clause, she
is a "paper" employee of metro's...KSFO pays her through them. Smoke
and Mirrors 101.

David Kaye

Oct 3, 2005, 3:36:24 PM10/3/05
>From Brian Maloney's weblog:

"Morgan's activism through her highly successful political
organization, Move America Forward, has been key to keeping KSFO
strong, the Radio Equalizer believes. When listeners feel hosts are
doing more than just talking, a stronger bond is created that carries
over to increased listenership.

With Move America Forward repeatedly in the headlines over the summer
for organized efforts to counter Cindy Sheehan's Texas circus, support
our troops in Washington and visit them in Iraq, one wonders if ABC's
notoriously liberal suits could no longer tolerate Morgan's political
effectiveness."

That may be the problem with Mel. She's put her organization front and
center into the political arena. Commercial stations are trying to
sell time to advertisers. Advertisers for the most part want as little
controversy as possible. They don't want boycotts; they don't want to
be associated with distasteful activism.

Heck, if I were running, say, a window installation company, would I
really want to put ads on a show hosted by someone who's in the
national spotlight all the time for extremist views? Hell, I'd just
want to sell my windows and get on with things. Running a business is
hard enough without having to deal with fallout from political
extremism.

It may simply be that Melanie Morgan has forgotten that she's a
broadcaster.

David Kaye

Oct 3, 2005, 3:56:05 PM10/3/05
I don't want to confuse Brian's comment with mine. For one thing, I
wouldn't be inclined to call the Disney organization "notoriously
liberal", as they don't exactly win any awards in the liberal sector
for environmental protection in Florida, labor practices at the Disney
theme parks, or their notorious private police department. Anyhow...

This is my part:

DavidFJackson

Oct 3, 2005, 5:15:47 PM10/3/05
Our long national nightmare has ended. She has re-signed with KSFO and
can go back to playing "Melanie Morgan" on the air Tuesday morning.

>From "Radio Equalizer":

"(...H)ere's the good news:

Negotiations resumed Friday, and today Mickey Luckoff and I have agreed
to new contract terms.

I expect to return to the airwaves tomorrow morning.

And what was especially gratifying is how quickly listeners from all
around the country and especially here in the Bay Area reacted to the
news of my 'demise.' Hundreds and hundreds of phone calls, e-mail by
the thousands. Faxes too numerous to count.

That plus several job offers makes me feel pretty terrific.

I was saddened that the senior management at ABC chose such a drastic
solution to what was essentially a done deal.

But the momentary madness is over, and I am safely ensconced behind the
microphone for the next two-and-a-half years.

And that's a good thing, I've got a lot more jujitsu moves to practice
on the left-wing whackos around the country."

John Higdon

Oct 3, 2005, 7:18:27 PM10/3/05
In article <1128374146....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"DavidFJackson" <djac...@bayarearadio.org> wrote:

> Our long national nightmare has ended. She has re-signed with KSFO and
> can go back to playing "Melanie Morgan" on the air Tuesday morning.

Oh, what a relief. It was bare-knuckle time there for awhile. But it was
fun to watch the knuckles drag here!

Mike Van Pelt

Oct 3, 2005, 7:31:11 PM10/3/05
In article <fraud-and-spam-trap-...@equine.announcetech.com>,

John Higdon <fraud-and...@verislimesucks.com> wrote:
>In article <1128374146....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "DavidFJackson" <djac...@bayarearadio.org> wrote:
>
>> Our long national nightmare has ended. She has re-signed with KSFO and
>> can go back to playing "Melanie Morgan" on the air Tuesday morning.
>
>Oh, what a relief. It was bare-knuckle time there for awhile. But it was
>fun to watch the knuckles drag here!

It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that something would
be worked out. The KSFO web site still listed her last night,
and on the air this morning, they were still announcing it as
the Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan show.

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

Mike Ward

Oct 3, 2005, 9:48:07 PM10/3/05
On 03 Oct 2005 23:31:11 GMT, m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt)
wrote:

>It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that something would
>be worked out. The KSFO web site still listed her last night,
>and on the air this morning, they were still announcing it as
>the Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan show.

Whew! I can now rest comfortably.

:)

Seriously, was there really any doubt? Even her own earlier statement
made it clear that it'd probably be cleared up within the week.

Charleen Bunjiovianna

Oct 4, 2005, 11:41:45 AM10/4/05
In article <4341bf3f$0$32487$d36...@news.calweb.com> m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) writes:

>It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that something would
>be worked out. The KSFO web site still listed her last night,
>and on the air this morning, they were still announcing it as
>the Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan show.

I just hope she scored enough of a salary boost to pay for all
that plastic surgery. I haven't been able to sleep, worrying
about that.

Charleen

Eric C. Weaver

Oct 4, 2005, 12:13:00 PM10/4/05

MROwwwwww! Careful, Char, you're channelling Dorothy Parker again!

--
He worked in local radio, which he always used to tell his friends
was a lot more interesting than they probably thought. -- D. Adams

Ciccio

Oct 4, 2005, 1:10:16 PM10/4/05
"Eric C. Weaver" <we...@sigma.net> wrote in message

> Charleen Bunjiovianna wrote:
>> In article <4341bf3f$0$32487$d36...@news.calweb.com> m...@web1.calweb.com
>> (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>>
>>>It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that something would
>>>be worked out. The KSFO web site still listed her last night,
>>>and on the air this morning, they were still announcing it as
>>>the Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan show.
>>

>> I just hope she scored enough of a salary boost to pay for all
>> that plastic surgery. I haven't been able to sleep, worrying
>> about that.
>
> MROwwwwww! Careful, Char, you're channelling Dorothy Parker again!

Apropos...
"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."
--Dorothy Parker.

Charleen Bunjiovianna

Oct 4, 2005, 1:33:23 PM10/4/05
In article <4342...@news.announcetech.com> "Eric C. Weaver" <we...@sigma.net> writes:
>Charleen Bunjiovianna wrote:
>> In article <4341bf3f$0$32487$d36...@news.calweb.com> m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>>
>>>It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that something would
>>>be worked out. The KSFO web site still listed her last night,
>>>and on the air this morning, they were still announcing it as
>>>the Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan show.
>>

>> I just hope she scored enough of a salary boost to pay for all
>> that plastic surgery. I haven't been able to sleep, worrying
>> about that.
>
>MROwwwwww! Careful, Char, you're channelling Dorothy Parker again!

Actually, Eric, I think she looks great. (Hear that, Mel? You and I
both know you read this stuff.) I saw her up close two years ago on a Fleet Week
cruise and again last year at the Veterans' Day Parade. No question:
she's had work done, big-time. I want the name of the Marin surgeon in case
anyone ever gifts me with $30,000.

The cynicism comes into play because it looks like this Disneyesque drama
may not have been much more than a ploy to solicit even more cash for Move
America Forward, given the alacrity with which the fundraising email went out.
Mel, you really have to stop going to the well so often.

Charleen

David Kaye

Oct 4, 2005, 5:03:26 PM10/4/05
Charleen Bunjiovianna wrote:

> The cynicism comes into play because it looks like this Disneyesque drama
> may not have been much more than a ploy to solicit even more cash for Move
> America Forward, given the alacrity with which the fundraising email went out.

This is playing differently than I'd expected. I was quite certain
that ABC was reining in the situation in order to keep advertisers. I
still ask what advertiser wants to be associated with a radio station
whose star is always in the news with stirring up trouble?

If I sold windows, flowers, cars, or anything else, I would not want to
advertise on a station so closely associated with a loose canon. I'd
advertise on KOIT or whatever first.

I'm thinking that the REASON radio stations can't seem to get much more
than quack cures, patent "kits", and "name a star" advertisers is
because the good advertisers have been driven away to more wholesome
media.

norml

Oct 4, 2005, 5:27:15 PM10/4/05
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrotf:

>I'm thinking that the REASON radio stations can't seem to get much more
>than quack cures, patent "kits", and "name a star" advertisers is
>because the good advertisers have been driven away to more wholesome
>media.

That's interesting. I haven't listened lately. Who's advertising on KCBS
these days?

Norm

John Higdon

Oct 4, 2005, 5:34:45 PM10/4/05
In article <1128459806.8...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking that the REASON radio stations can't seem to get much more
> than quack cures, patent "kits", and "name a star" advertisers is
> because the good advertisers have been driven away to more wholesome
> media.

There is also the issue of the sales department. I know right now,
getting decent salespeople is a real challenge. I work for stations that
are as pure, wholesome, and mainstream as it gets and even so, the AEs
have to bust their butts to get "real" advertisers.

You haven't lived until you have heard the local equivalent of quack
cures, but the stations want better than that and fight tooth and nail
to land retailers and vendors of legitimate products.

Everywhere I go (except for here), there is an undercurrent of lament
that those in charge of selling don't seem motivated to sell to quality
merchants and businesses.

John Higdon

Oct 4, 2005, 5:37:04 PM10/4/05
In article <lrs5k15kk6lt6o6gi...@4ax.com>,
norml <norm...@pacbell.net> wrote:

That's an interesting question. KCBS is a rate-cutter. They listen to
see who and what's on the air and then discount their rates to steal the
business. I wonder what they get doing that.

David Kaye

Oct 4, 2005, 8:54:54 PM10/4/05
John Higdon wrote:

> Everywhere I go (except for here), there is an undercurrent of lament
> that those in charge of selling don't seem motivated to sell to quality
> merchants and businesses.

So, does this mean capitalism is a failure? After all, if the
compensation is good enough (and I've seen lots of salesmen driving
fancy cars), there should be people flocking to sales positions.
Goodness knows there are enough sales training seminars being given.
Jason Jennings made a career out of training them. (Heh, I heard an ad
of his recently on KGO...)

I just find it hard to believe that there just isn't enough sales
talent out there. There must be something wrong in the loop.

Are the incentive programs at stations set up wrong? I remember one
situation where if a salesperson met a certain quota they were given a
small bonus and the quota was raised for the next quarter. There was
no incentive in that because it taught salespeople that if they sold
too well they'd be seen as failures later when they fell far short of
quotas. Better to be mediocre and fall just a little shy of quotas
than to be a failure at a larger quota and fired.

I'm really thinking that radio is to some extent seen as the equivalent
of advertising in a throwaway shopper.

John Higdon

Oct 4, 2005, 9:50:56 PM10/4/05
In article <1128473694.0...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, does this mean capitalism is a failure? After all, if the
> compensation is good enough (and I've seen lots of salesmen driving
> fancy cars), there should be people flocking to sales positions.
> Goodness knows there are enough sales training seminars being given.
> Jason Jennings made a career out of training them. (Heh, I heard an ad
> of his recently on KGO...)

Oh, there's no shortage of applicants. The shortage is of *good*
salespeople.

> I just find it hard to believe that there just isn't enough sales
> talent out there. There must be something wrong in the loop.

It's like everything else today. There are a lot of people willing to
pick up a paycheck; far fewer who are any good at what they do.
Mediocrity reins. What isn't going down the dumper these days?

> Are the incentive programs at stations set up wrong? I remember one
> situation where if a salesperson met a certain quota they were given a
> small bonus and the quota was raised for the next quarter. There was
> no incentive in that because it taught salespeople that if they sold
> too well they'd be seen as failures later when they fell far short of
> quotas. Better to be mediocre and fall just a little shy of quotas
> than to be a failure at a larger quota and fired.

That attitude has spread to more than sales.

> I'm really thinking that radio is to some extent seen as the equivalent
> of advertising in a throwaway shopper.

Oh, pray tell: where is the *quality* advertising??

George Graoman

Oct 4, 2005, 10:18:20 PM10/4/05
John Higdon wrote:
> In article <1128473694.0...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> So, does this mean capitalism is a failure? After all, if the
>> compensation is good enough (and I've seen lots of salesmen driving
>> fancy cars), there should be people flocking to sales positions.
>> Goodness knows there are enough sales training seminars being given.
>> Jason Jennings made a career out of training them. (Heh, I heard an ad
>> of his recently on KGO...)
>
> Oh, there's no shortage of applicants. The shortage is of *good*
> salespeople.
>
>> I just find it hard to believe that there just isn't enough sales
>> talent out there. There must be something wrong in the loop.
>
> It's like everything else today. There are a lot of people willing to
> pick up a paycheck; far fewer who are any good at what they do.
> Mediocrity reins. What isn't going down the dumper these days?

Being in sales I love the fact that there are so many incompetent
people out there. Most do not understand the Woody Allen saying along
the lines of "80 percent of succeeding in life is showing up on time"
I constantly see sales reps who do one or more of the following:
Poor verbal skills.
Even worse writing skills (they think spell check is a cure all).
Insisting the customer make an immediate decision or the
product/price will be gone.
Telling the customer "you (or your customers) do not want A, they want B.
Giving priority to prospects over existing customers.
Hoping the customer will not notice a mistake or a defect.
Hiding when there is a problem.

>> Are the incentive programs at stations set up wrong? I remember one
>> situation where if a salesperson met a certain quota they were given a
>> small bonus and the quota was raised for the next quarter. There was
>> no incentive in that because it taught salespeople that if they sold
>> too well they'd be seen as failures later when they fell far short of
>> quotas. Better to be mediocre and fall just a little shy of quotas
>> than to be a failure at a larger quota and fired.
>
> That attitude has spread to more than sales.

My favorite "incentive" was in "Glengarry Glen Ross". the hotshot
from home office tells the crew they are having a contest. #1 gets a new
car, #2 gets fired.

>> I'm really thinking that radio is to some extent seen as the equivalent
>> of advertising in a throwaway shopper.
>
> Oh, pray tell: where is the *quality* advertising??

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Phil Keller

Oct 4, 2005, 10:42:02 PM10/4/05
David Kaye wrote:
John Higdon wrote:

Everywhere I go (except for here), there is an undercurrent of lament
that those in charge of selling don't seem motivated to sell to quality
merchants and businesses.

I have been selling since my freshman year in high school. Let me share a little of what I have learned. Honesty is really the best policy. You can make more money being honest than by deceiving your customers. That means you have to work for a company which values it's relationship with it's customers and sales personnel. Sales is an easy job if you can sustain a relationship with your customers for years. You only have to sell them on the relationship once and maintaining a fair relationship is easy. If your product is constantly changing: If your management changes every couple of years: If your company is not dedicated to treating your customers fairly, you are going to find selling a hard way to make a living.

I started by selling magizenes door to door when I was 14. By the time I was 16, I was selling vacuum cleaners. The lesson I learned was that the best things to sell are consumables. A product which is necessary and must be discarded after use is best. Feminine pads and disposable diapers are the good examples. Lets assume you are a talented and principaled sales person, which would you prefer? Selling advertising to a shoe store or sellig shoes to a shoe store. The shoe manufacturer and it's sales force are dedicated to selling a quality product to long term customers. That requires stable management, a qualtity product and a reliable honest sales force. Does that describe a radio station?

George Graoman

Oct 4, 2005, 10:55:53 PM10/4/05
Phil Keller wrote:
> David Kaye wrote:
>> John Higdon wrote:
>>

>>> Everywhere I go (except for here), there is an undercurrent of lament
>>> that those in charge of selling don't seem motivated to sell to quality
>>> merchants and businesses.
>>>
>> I have been selling since my freshman year in high school. Let me share a little of what I have learned. Honesty is really the best policy. *You can make more money being honest than by deceiving your customers.* That means you have to work for a company which values it's relationship with it's customers and sales personnel. Sales is an easy job if you can sustain a relationship with your customers for years. You only have to sell them on the relationship once and maintaining a fair relationship is easy. If your product is constantly changing: If your management changes every couple of years: If your company is not dedicated to treating your customers fairly, you are going to find selling a hard way to make a living.
>
>> I started by selling magizenes door to door when I was 14. By the time I was 16, I was selling vacuum cleaners. The lesson I learned was that the best things to sell are consumables. A product which is necessary and must be discarded after use is best. Feminine pads and disposable diapers are the good examples. Lets assume you are a talented and principaled sales person, which would you prefer? Selling advertising to a shoe store or sellig shoes to a shoe store. The shoe manufacturer and it's sales force are dedicated to selling a quality product to long term customers. *That requires stable management, a qualtity product and a reliable honest sales force.* *Does that describe a radio station?*

I have made on practice to include current or past customers as
references on my resume as personal references.It works wonders.

>> So, does this mean capitalism is a failure? After all, if the
>> compensation is good enough (and I've seen lots of salesmen driving
>> fancy cars), there should be people flocking to sales positions.
>> Goodness knows there are enough sales training seminars being given.
>> Jason Jennings made a career out of training them. (Heh, I heard an ad
>> of his recently on KGO...)
>>
>> I just find it hard to believe that there just isn't enough sales
>> talent out there. There must be something wrong in the loop.
>>
>> Are the incentive programs at stations set up wrong? I remember one
>> situation where if a salesperson met a certain quota they were given a
>> small bonus and the quota was raised for the next quarter. There was
>> no incentive in that because it taught salespeople that if they sold
>> too well they'd be seen as failures later when they fell far short of
>> quotas. Better to be mediocre and fall just a little shy of quotas
>> than to be a failure at a larger quota and fired.
>>
>> I'm really thinking that radio is to some extent seen as the equivalent
>> of advertising in a throwaway shopper.

David Kaye

Oct 5, 2005, 1:23:38 AM10/5/05
John Higdon wrote:

> Oh, pray tell: where is the *quality* advertising??

Magazines such as San Francisco (Focus), Diablo, 7X7, SOMA. Newspapers
such as the Nob Hill Gazette, Rag, the various lifestyle monthly papers
distributed to targeted areas such as upscale shopping areas, upscale
doorsteps. And for that matter, the daily papers.

David Kaye

Oct 5, 2005, 1:29:17 AM10/5/05
George Graoman wrote:

> Phil Keller wrote:
> >> I have been selling since my freshman year in high school. Let me share
> a little of what I have learned. [....]

I hope this post (Phil Keller?) propagates further so that I can read
it firsthand. It hasn't gotten either to Google yet or to my back-up
news server on hanford.org. But it's a very good post and I'd like to
see it.

I guess Usenet is still a collection of alternate universes...

Erik Veit

Oct 5, 2005, 2:35:20 AM10/5/05
David Kaye wrote:

> This is playing differently than I'd expected. I was quite certain
> that ABC was reining in the situation in order to keep advertisers. I
> still ask what advertiser wants to be associated with a radio station
> whose star is always in the news with stirring up trouble?

Controversy/scandal/news = Ratings = Advertisers.

Do you really think that companies want only "acceptable" customers?

--
Erik Veit ------- Dublin, CA ------- http://homepage.mac.com/zombie67/

David Kaye

Oct 5, 2005, 5:01:45 AM10/5/05
Erik Veit wrote:

> Controversy/scandal/news = Ratings = Advertisers.
> Do you really think that companies want only "acceptable" customers?

It has nothing to do with "acceptable" customers. It has to do with
the advertisers not wanting controversy. Period. They want to sell
their goods or services and be done with it. It's already hard enough
to run a business; they don't want to be stuck in the middle of
something that may reflect badly on them.

When gay movies first began to appear on the TV networks, advertisers
pulled out left and right. They didn't want to be associated with gay
content, even though what was being shown were very benign movies like
"An Early Frost", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", etc.

Heck, Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" had difficulty getting PBS
underwriters the first time around. When it was time to do the second
movie, PBS wouldn't even touch it, so after a long time lag it wound up
on Showtime where nobody had to worry about advertisers or
underwriters.

Also, ratings do not necessarily = advertisers. There are very
low-rated stations that do quite nicely because the advertisers want to
be associated with them. I'm talking about stations like KFAX. Their
ratings seldom break a 1 share and are usually down in the noise, but
their religious bent is attractive enough to advertisers that they
don't care what the numbers are.

John Higdon

Oct 5, 2005, 9:54:55 AM10/5/05
In article <1128489818.5...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You mean like the Comical and the Murky News? Have you looked at them
lately?

Ciccio

Oct 5, 2005, 11:51:38 AM10/5/05
"John Higdon" <fraud-and...@verislimesucks.com> wrote in message

> In article <1128489818.5...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> John Higdon wrote:
>>

>> > Oh, pray tell: where is the *quality* advertising??
>>
>> Magazines such as San Francisco (Focus), Diablo, 7X7, SOMA. Newspapers
>> such as the Nob Hill Gazette, Rag, the various lifestyle monthly papers
>> distributed to targeted areas such as upscale shopping areas, upscale
>> doorsteps. And for that matter, the daily papers.
>
> You mean like the Comical and the Murky News? Have you looked at them
> lately?

It's demographics... The number of readers/listeners/viewers WHO WILL
ACTUALLY CONSUME THE PRODUCT AND WILL BE INFLUENCED
BY THE ADVERTISING. After that is determined, then, and only then, does
a business concern itself with ratings, content, style, remaining
demographic factors, etc.

That said, there are a number of small business owners whose vanity or
business naiveté takes the best of them, and they advertise to satisfy their
own egos. Sales persons will typically exploit that as well.

Ciccio

John Higdon

Oct 5, 2005, 12:28:04 PM10/5/05
In article <eES0f.111447$qY1....@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Ciccio" <franc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> That said, there are a number of small business owners whose vanity or
> business naiveté takes the best of them, and they advertise to satisfy their
> own egos. Sales persons will typically exploit that as well.

The electric toilet seats come to mind.

David Kaye

Oct 6, 2005, 4:35:29 AM10/6/05
John Higdon wrote:

> You mean like the Comical and the Murky News? Have you looked at them
> lately?

Sunday's Chron has ads for, let's see...Macy's, Books Inc, a bunch of
travel agencies and resorts, T-Mobile, UC Berkeley, a number of auction
houses, tons of real estate brokers, Rolex, Open Studios, a couple
high-end jewelry stores, a couple clothing stores, a bunch of car
dealers, Citibank, Quaker Oats...

Except for the jewelry, cell companies, and car dealers, I don't
remember the rest of these advertisers being on the radio. And it
doesn't mean that these other advertisers can't sell on the radio.
After all, car dealers can sell on the radio without having visuals of
their cars. So, why aren't the others there?

John Higdon

Oct 6, 2005, 3:46:27 PM10/6/05
In article <1128587729.7...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sunday's Chron has ads for, let's see...Macy's, Books Inc, a bunch of
> travel agencies and resorts, T-Mobile, UC Berkeley, a number of auction
> houses, tons of real estate brokers, Rolex, Open Studios, a couple
> high-end jewelry stores, a couple clothing stores, a bunch of car
> dealers, Citibank, Quaker Oats...
>
> Except for the jewelry, cell companies, and car dealers, I don't
> remember the rest of these advertisers being on the radio. And it
> doesn't mean that these other advertisers can't sell on the radio.
> After all, car dealers can sell on the radio without having visuals of
> their cars. So, why aren't the others there?

I have heard several bookstores on the air, both in spots and plugs.
Travel agencies abound, particularly for Hawaiian and Alaskan cruises.
Real Estate (Realty companies) are radio staples. Rolex? Turneau is
omnipresent on the air (as is Ben Bridge, Shreive & Co., etc.). Clothing
stores? Ever heard of "I guarantee it"? Citibank on the radio? Of
course! Quaker Oats? Which of their hundreds of products DON'T you hear
on the air? And you left out a whole lot of other stuff on the radio
that would be considered legitimate.

What was that you were saying?

leansto...@democrat.com

Oct 8, 2005, 3:30:53 AM10/8/05
If you get that KKKSFO email news letter, the latest issue has no
mention of Ms. Morgan.

DavidFJackson wrote:
> My contract with KSFO was set to expire on Friday. My agent had been in
> negotiations with the station manager of KSFO (an ABC owned and
> operated station).
>
> We had already worked out the 'big issues' - I had agreed to a very
> small increase in salary and did not have any major demands. I thought
> everything would be routine.
>
> During my time at KSFO we have emerged as one of the highest rated
> local radio programs in the nation. Certainly the station had to
> appreciate that!?!
>
> But, for some reason, the negotiations hit a brick wall and I was asked
> to accept a number of bizarre compromises. My agent tried to work
> through the issues but I was told that for some reason the station was
> playing hardball. I was told on Thursday that Friday morning would be
> my last day of employment. I was to turn in my ABC card key that
> allowed me access to the building.
>
> Given what happened recently to another prominent ABC radio talk show
> host (Michael Graham of WMAL-Washington D.C. was just fired from his
> job) I obviously have been quite uncertain about what my fate will be.
>
> My agent and I have been in contact with the station management. Since
> I announced on the air on Friday that my employment with KSFO was over
> the station has been flooded with phone calls and emails. I am hopeful
> that in the coming week we can come to an agreement on the issues that
> remain. Until then I will be off the air.

Bang_V...@yahoo.com

Oct 8, 2005, 3:43:46 AM10/8/05

leansto...@democrat.com wrote:
> If you get that KKKSFO email news letter, the latest issue has no
> mention of Ms. Morgan.

Geez, Leans, what's with the Klan reference? That kind of rhetoric
gets you nowhere. What, you think Morgan and Rogers don sheets and go
around burning crosses on black folks' lawns?

Puh-leeze...

David Kaye

Oct 8, 2005, 4:04:16 AM10/8/05
John Higdon wrote:

> I have heard several bookstores on the air, both in spots and plugs.
> Travel agencies abound, particularly for Hawaiian and Alaskan cruises.

[....]

On KSFO or KGO? On KNEW? I can understand clients buying KGO. Do
they also buy KSFO? I don't know because I don't listen at all.

> Real Estate (Realty companies) are radio staples. Rolex? Turneau is
> omnipresent on the air (as is Ben Bridge, Shreive & Co., etc.).

Ben Bridge? Do they even have stores around here? Okay, Turneau is
involved with a co-op for Rolex. You got me there.

> Clothing
> stores? Ever heard of "I guarantee it"?

One clothing store, Men's Wearhouse. Others? Look in the mags and
it's all clothes and home furnishings, restaurants, and resorts. Sure,
KGO runs some cruise spots, but these have limited appeal.

Mike Ward

Oct 8, 2005, 11:01:04 AM10/8/05
On 8 Oct 2005 01:04:16 -0700, "David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>One clothing store, Men's Wearhouse. Others? Look in the mags and
>it's all clothes and home furnishings, restaurants, and resorts. Sure,
>KGO runs some cruise spots, but these have limited appeal.

I can't speak for Northern California, as my ability to hear radio
spots there has been limited due to new webcast software...but... in
Northeast Ohio, I've heard all of the above spots on local radio for
years, and continue to hear them, in numbers.

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2005, 11:56:15 AM10/8/05
In article <1128758656....@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ben Bridge? Do they even have stores around here? Okay, Turneau is
> involved with a co-op for Rolex. You got me there.

You've never heard the Ben Bridge jingle?

> One clothing store, Men's Wearhouse. Others? Look in the mags and
> it's all clothes and home furnishings, restaurants, and resorts. Sure,
> KGO runs some cruise spots, but these have limited appeal.

KGO is always sold out. There is a whole lot more room in a newspaper
(and if there isn't, they can add pages) than there is on a radio
station that has self-imposed limits.

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2005, 11:57:15 AM10/8/05
In article <1128756653.0...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"leansto...@democrat.com" <leansto...@democrat.com> wrote:

> If you get that KKKSFO email news letter, the latest issue has no
> mention of Ms. Morgan.

But she's been re-upped so the matter is moot now.

David Kaye

Oct 8, 2005, 5:13:00 PM10/8/05
John Higdon wrote:

> KGO is always sold out. There is a whole lot more room in a newspaper
> (and if there isn't, they can add pages) than there is on a radio
> station that has self-imposed limits.

If Mickey Luckoff is complaining about the quality of ads ("You should
see what we reject"), I'd say that KGO isn't exactly sold out. I also
notice that the spot load is far less at night than during the day.
Yet, C Crane made its mark by buying low-cost time late at night, so
late night isn't exactly unsalable.

John Higdon

Oct 8, 2005, 5:26:48 PM10/8/05
"David Kaye" <sfdavi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If Mickey Luckoff is complaining about the quality of ads ("You should
> see what we reject"), I'd say that KGO isn't exactly sold out. I also
> notice that the spot load is far less at night than during the day.
> Yet, C Crane made its mark by buying low-cost time late at night, so
> late night isn't exactly unsalable.

KGO recently cut back its inventory to reduce clutter.

leansto...@democrat.com

Oct 8, 2005, 11:08:38 PM10/8/05
Oh, I picked up the KKKSFO from somebody on this list and did it out of
habit.

If you are on that KSFO mailing list, that message from Sussman was
just painful to read. I'm not sure if it cool to repost it.

Here's just one line from Da Sussman:
########
It was entertaining to watch dinosaurs like Teddy Kennedy, Joey Biden,
Leaky Leahy and Di-Fi get lost in their notes and talking points as
they attempted to question this intellectually superior giant of a man.
############

Leaky Leahy??? What's up with that?

OK, one more line of Sussman wisdom. Here he says Jesus want you to get
a handgun:
########################
To his disciples, Jesus said, "When I sent you out earlier without a
wallet, a backpack or and extra pair of shoes did you lack anything?
Now,
if you have a wallet with money in it, take it. If you have a backpack,

fill it. And if you don't have a sword, (the handgun of his day), sell
something of value and buy one." Luke 22
######################

This dude needs to lay off the sterno.

leansto...@democrat.com

Oct 8, 2005, 11:12:19 PM10/8/05
It would make sense for C Crane to buy time in the evening. Local AM
stations may have their power reduced and distant stations can cause
interference. Just the prescription for a good AM radio.

J.. Michael Scott

Oct 10, 2005, 7:15:12 AM10/10/05
THIS is what happens When Weathermen Go BAD!!

leansto...@democrat.com

Oct 10, 2005, 2:11:40 PM10/10/05
It gets worse when da Sussman discusses science, a topic on which you
think he would have some understanding. I recall him talking about 3lb
nuclear weapons. Clearly he thinks critical mass is a bunch of
bicyclists.