Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project

steephill

Feb 4, 2006, 4:42:41 AM2/4/06
I'm working on retooling my site to accept uploads from race spectators
who wish to contribute their photos and movies (video) to a collective
gallery called the Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project. Each stage
will be organized as a storyboard with the best photos and clips being
rolled into a short nightly video. I'll be testing the setup with
pre-ride photos and video around February 10th if you'd like to share
your pre-ride.

Updated Tour of California race details and an explanation of the
Grassy Knoll Project:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/route/

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

Davey Crockett

Feb 4, 2006, 5:13:14 AM2/4/06

nice project man

keep us posted

--
Le Vent à Dos
Davey Crockett

Diablo Scott

Feb 5, 2006, 1:36:08 PM2/5/06

I was trying to think of some way to have a phone tree or text message
broadcast or something so that people along the course could report on
the action while it's happening and people downstream would know what's
going on.

Example: 11:20 Top of Pig Farm, mile 12, Levi and Gibo are in a break
of 4 with 30 seconds on the pack.

Any ideas how to do this? (wild assumption that there won't be live
radio coverage)

--
Check out my bike blog!
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

steephill

Feb 5, 2006, 3:05:40 PM2/5/06
Yes, I doubt there will be radio coverage. I'm sure that cyclingnews
will have up to the minute text coverage over the internet like they do
with most big events including last year's San Francisco Grand Prix.
If you have a web browser on your phone I guess that might work. They
should text message (or maybe they do?) the same information so that
people on cell phones can more easily access it.

The other option is for someone to host a conference call and allow
people to join in and give updates. The whole call should, ideally, be
recorded for posterity. That would be more interesting then simply text
messaging.

I'll be working at the event so I can't organize it myself, but it's an
interesting idea you've raised!

Steve
www.steephill bike travelogue

Steve G.

Feb 5, 2006, 11:33:39 PM2/5/06
Are there any School Book Depositories near the route ?
"steephill" <steeph...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Diablo Scott

Feb 6, 2006, 2:31:49 PM2/6/06

Looks like there will be messaging available to cell phones or e-mail...
"Brought to you by Herbal Life"

Play-by-Plays
Any sports fan knows, the only thing better than being at the event, is
catching the play-by-play. Live and relive the thrills and spills of the
race from your cell phone, inbox, or both. While you're at it, check out
our RSS feed, to get the tour highlights delivered to you.

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/play-by-play-signup.html

Service is free but carrier charges apply of course. I don't see any
way of turning it off if you only want one day's worth; I get dinged 5
cents per TM.

--
Check out my bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Chester

Feb 6, 2006, 4:36:25 PM2/6/06
If you go to the official site, they're saying they're going to have
"Play by Play" via the website, e-mail, and text messages.

So, basically, you can sign up for race updates via RSS, e-mail, and
SMS.

Chester

steephill

Feb 6, 2006, 8:56:02 PM2/6/06
re: "Are there any School Book Depositories near the route? "

That's the kind of humor I was hoping for. The people I know really
like the name Grassy Knoll Project, but I've had a few complaints about
it too. I think it's good name and hopefully over 40 years is long
enough. But, if I think it's going to hurt more than help convey the
modern metaphor then I may change it... reluctantly... to something
generic and bland like the "Tour of California Internet Project."

Anybody have an opinion either way?

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

steephill

Feb 6, 2006, 9:00:48 PM2/6/06
re: "So, basically, you can sign up for race updates via RSS, e-mail,
and
SMS"

That's good to know. For those following along via the internet, I
wonder whether it will be better or worse or maybe identical to
cyclingnews' live text coverage.

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

Karstens Rage

Feb 6, 2006, 10:42:36 PM2/6/06

I must confess I do not get the humor or the modern metaphor, but I'm
also not offended. I would, on principle, not change the name. Tell the
naysayers to STFU and mind their own business.

Now I'll STFU and mind my own business.

Alex Rodriguez

Feb 7, 2006, 12:19:25 PM2/7/06
steeph...@gmail.com says...

Keep the name you like. Who cares what the others think?
-------------
Alex

steephill

Feb 8, 2006, 5:32:14 AM2/8/06
re: "I must confess I do not get the humor or the modern metaphor"

Here's how I replied to those how didn't understand my thinking:

<snip...>
Documentaries that have analyzed the Grassy Knoll Theory, ad nauseum,
used chronologically sequenced photos and home movies from spectators
along the parade route to reconstruct events around the scene of the
crime. The spectators unknowingly became the media that day.

Coverage of the Tour of California is tightly controlled by AEG (and
understandably $o). I'd like to see this project demonstrate how
effectively spectators can document a geographically dispersed event
like a 100 mile point to point bike race. Today with the current
popularity of blogging, photo sharing, and skepticism of the media, I
thought this "We are the media" idea would be appropriate. The use of
the term Grassy Knoll is a metaphor to the past and a phrase that
succinctly captures these ideas.

<..snip>

Nonetheless, I may change it to the "Grassy Hill Project" anyway...
more family friendly but the subtle connection is still there. It also
dovetails with my site name. ;)

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

William Asher

Feb 8, 2006, 12:47:02 PM2/8/06
steephill wrote:

<snip>

> Nonetheless, I may change it to the "Grassy Hill Project" anyway...
> more family friendly but the subtle connection is still there. It also
> dovetails with my site name. ;)

Call it "The Cold Six Thousand Project." Hardly anybody will know that the
hell you are talking about, but those that do will remember it was "The
Grassy Knoll Project" and connect the dots.

--
Bill Asher

Karstens Rage

Feb 8, 2006, 10:03:28 PM2/8/06
Put that blurb on the website somewhere (link it to the header title)
and leave it as is. I love it.. I'll have my camera when Im volunteering
at the Martinez 2nd stage start.

aer...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2006, 12:50:11 PM2/9/06
Please don't change!

Diablo Scott

Feb 13, 2006, 5:30:22 PM2/13/06
Prologue: Sunday, Feb. 19: San Francisco 1.9 mi (time trial)
Start time: 10:00 AM → Finish ETA: 12:22 PM
^^^^

At 11 a.m., riders will open the competition with a short, intense
^^^^^

It's 10 in case anybody got confused.