SFBC newsltr Nov/Dec 95 here

San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
From: San Francisco Bicycle Coalition <sf...@igc.apc.org>

THE TUBULAR TIMES

the newsletter of the S.F. Bike Coalition
November-December 1995, #29, online edition

-=-=-=-=
CONTENTS
-=-=-=-=

Squeaky Wheel
CalTrain Expands Access to 24 bikes per Train
Who Likes Bikes? The SFBC Mayoral Survey

Feature
The Infobahn: Virtual Bike Path
Net Resources

Chain of Events
Don't Miss December cultural history tour: SF Sewers!

Unclassified Ads
SFBC position available
Massage discounts!
Cycle & Recycle Calendars Available
SFBC Supporters

Tired and Cranky
SFBC Becoming A Heavy Hitter--With Members' Help

SFBC Report
SFBC's Current Focus: Two Big Campaigns
Valet Bicycle Parking

Bike Coordinator's Report
drain grates, raised ceramic markers, mural on Duboce, and
more.

Quick Release
Bikes Stay On Buses Through Summer
15 mph is Fast Enough
Oregon Cyclists Get Big Money
Amtrak's New Rules May Cost You $7
CABO Needs a Rep

The Tubular Times Index

Membership Information

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
the tubular times
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Managing Editor: David Snyder
Layout: Mike Hudson
Copy-editing and design: Liz Enochs, Donald Francis,
Katrina Strathman, Kathy Roberts
Contributors: Tim Harriman, Ruach Graffis, Preston Holland, Miles
Poindexter, Terry Rolleri, Cap Thomas
Art & Photography: Karen Bash, Donald Francis
Distribution Deity: Stuart Coulthard
Special thanks for great generosity:
EpiCenter DeskTop (pre-press)
Copy Central-Haight (copying)
Thanks to Last Issue's Folders: Alexandra Koltun, Chris Peneda,
Dan Kluger, David Ottina, Dierdre Crowley, Joel Pomerantz,
Melisa Moore, Shauna O'Donnell, Stella Boess, Steven Bodzin
and Stuart Coulthard.

Printed on 25% post-consumer, 50% recycled paper

Recycle & Bicycle!

Published bimonthly by
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
1095 Market St., Suite 215
SF, CA 94103
(415) 431-BIKE
sf...@igc.apc.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
CalTrain Expands Access to 24 bikes per Train,
Moves Closer to "Bike Car" Concept
by Katrina Strathmann
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

On Sept. 7, the Joint Powers Board doubled the number of bikes
permitted on CalTrain, from the current limit of 12 to 24 per
train. By Thanksgiving, the cab car on each train should be fitted
with six racks, identical to the existing racks, which hold 4
bikes each. The cab car would become the "bike car" while the
trailer cars would become off limits to bikes.

According to CalTrain, at least one of the beastly poles blocking
the doorway stairs--which make maneuvering a mountain bike aboard
quite an ordeal--will also be removed. The conversion of all 60
CalTrain cab cars (the cars on the northernmost end of the train)
costs about $46,000 (nearly $20,000 of which they will recoup from
counties' bike funds, including $9,500 from San Francisco sales
tax funds).

Of the SFBC's three goals for bike access on CalTrain, we have
completed two, and are closer than ever to the third: we have
access to the trains all day long, without rush hour restriction;
and we don't have to carry special permits. However, the upper
limit on the number of bikes allowed per train still exists.
CalTrain's latest move indicates this goal might soon be
achieved.

With the 12-bike limit, even on weekends and holidays, bikes fill
the existing racks to 75% of capacity. During weekdays, commuters
trying the bike-train commute get "bumped" with lamentable
frequency from half-full trains with full bike racks.

Will 24 spaces be enough? Walt Stringer, Director of Operations
for CalTrain, says that he is already seeing a significant
increase in riders with bikes on the already-expanded trains.
(Without hesitation he registered CalTrain's appreciation for the
revenue increase from bikes.) "No one knows where the demand for
more bike capacity stops. This may meet the demand, it may not. No
one can know at this point," said Stringer. However, not yet faced
with turning away bicycle commuters on increased capacity trains,
CalTrain has developed no plans for dealing with the potential
problem.

Responding to a letter from the SFBC thanking CalTrain for the
doubling of access and informing them of our concern that 24 bikes
per train might still be insufficient, Rail Services Director
Jerome Kirzner was appreciative of the SFBC's work to allocate San
Francisco funds for the CalTrain bike program, but was not ready
to endorse "unlimited access, for a variety of reasons related to
equipment supply, on-board staffing, and customer acceptance
reasons."

The move to putting all the bikes on one car might reduce the need
for the incessant "shuffling" of bikes in the racks. This
shuffling can't be helped--each rack holds four bikes, tethered
together with bungie cords, one on top of the other.

As a bicyclist, before and during boarding, introductions sound
like, "Mountain View?" "Palo Alto?" Some thoughtful bikers even
clip a note with a destination to the bike before finding a seat
elsewhere. (The SFBC has offered to issue a mini-grant for a
program to help encourage all bikers on CalTrain to use
destination tags.)

Stringer also noted that in relation to the increase of bike
commuters, other CalTrain patrons are beginning to register
concerns, such as delays due to boarding and deboarding bikes.
Although taking out those darned stairwell poles will reduce
boarding time when we don't have to fight to get handlebars
through, our presence is not always welcome. Once the conversion
is complete, both bikers and CalTrain will be better able to
measure the success and shortfalls of the expansion.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Who Likes Bikes? The SFBC Mayoral Survey
by Liz Enochs
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Who's the most bike-friendly candidate for mayor? To find out, we
sent each of the candidates an 8-question "Mayoral Survey on
Bicycle Transportation Issues," otherwise known as Questions on
Things Cyclists Give a Damn About.

Joel Ventresca and Dan Larkosh both supported nearly every idea we
outlined in our mayoral questionnaire, but much as the race needs
independent candidates, we all know they ain't got a prayer. Maybe
it's easier for them to say the right thing when there's less
likelihood they'll actually have to live up to their promises.

Ben Hom--voted the candidate Most Likely To Live in Marin by
activist group Bikes not Boobs--didn't bother to return our
questionnaire. Neither did Frank Jordan.

So for most cyclists--and other pragmatic folks--the choice is
among the trinity of Roberta Achtenberg, Willie Brown and Frank
Jordan (whose non-answers to our bike questions should give you a
clue where he stands).

Here's The Rundown

As wonkish as she may seem, Achtenberg gave us the most
straightforward and supportive answers to our questions, which
ranged from traffic-calming to bike lanes to enforcement of
traffic and parking laws. Brown gave us a few good answers, but
mostly just waffled and sidestepped--let's call him the Breakfast
Tango candidate. We use these questionnaires not just to assess
candidates' positions at election time, but as levers to hold them
to their promises. From Achtenberg, we have more real promises to
hold her to than we have from Brown.

Plus, Achtenberg puts her pedals where her rhetoric is. Not only
does she use bike volunteers to deliver nonpolluting door signs,
The candidate herself joined Critical Mass last month, where she
asked in surprise, "Why are there so many cops here?" Just what we
were wondering.

Calling the 50-plus officers "total overkill," an Achtenberg aide
said she supports sharply reducing the police presence at Mass.
Neither Brown nor Jordan responded when asked whether they also
support such a policy.

While both candidates support the concept of a "Transit First"
policy for San Francisco, Achtenberg is the only candidate who's
set a specific goal to help translate a "Transit First" policy
into action. "I have committed my administration to reduce
automobile traffic in the City by five percent over five years,"
she says, noting that this would involve revamping certain streets
to favor transit, pedestrians and bicycles, as well as increasing
"amenities for bicycles" throughout the city.

We suggested that the new mayor create a powerful, independent
committee charged with achieving such aims. Achtenberg supports
the idea; Brown doesn't. "We cannot resolve every problem by
setting up an independent committee," he says.

Specific proposals to reduce auto-dependence and encourage
bicycling met with ready support by Achtenberg and
hemming-and-hawing by Brown.

Should we have traffic-calming programs in neighborhoods which
support them? Achtenberg: yes. Brown: "Although speed bumps and
other traffic barriers may change residents' traffic patterns, I
am not sure that they are the answer to creating the safe
environment needed for either cyclists or pedestrians." Instead,
he suggests better city planning.

Should the DPT and the Police Department crack down on motorists
who speed, run red lights, and park illegally? "I become irritated
when I have to walk around illegally parked cars," responds Brown.
"However, increasing the number of enforcement employees ... only
addresses the symptoms and not the problem." Achtenberg's answer:
Just do it.

Should we eliminate free parking for city employees and offer
incentives for them to commute by bike? Achtenberg: Yes. Brown: No
to doing away with free parking, yes to reimbursement for bike
commuters. He does say he supports the concept of tax breaks for
businesses that provide bike parking and showers for their
employees; Achtenberg's staff dodged this question, saying, "We
should explore the idea."

Both candidates support creating more bike lanes in neighborhoods
and future development projects (like Mission Bay or a downtown
sports complex), as well as increasing bike parking in City
buildings and new office developments.

Would either mayoral hopeful hire three full-time, paid city
staffers to work on bicycling issues? While both cite funding as a
potential hurdle in achieving this goal, only Achtenberg clearly
supports the idea; Brown says he's "not sure that adding employees
are the answer to bicycling issues." We're not sure we have all
the answers to bike issues either, but we are sure that a single
staff person in the entire city devoted to bike issues is woefully
inadequate, and the program is already suffering.

We aren't going to make progress on our agenda without concerted
action by our members, including casting a vote for the mayoral
candidate Most Likely To Give a Damn About Cyclists. We hope the
information above will help you decide.

The Infobahn: Virtual Bike Path
Steven Bodzin
Warning: This article uses computer lingo. If you need help
understanding any of the terms, read one of the thousand
beginner's guides to the Internet.

Why do you ride a bike? Is it because it's fun, fast, and clean?
Is it because it allows you to encounter new, random experiences?
Or because it allows almost free access to the world? If you
thrive on these aspects of cycling, you will probably thrive on
the blooming Internet, where information comes fast, clean,
random, and almost free.

Already, some 15% of SFBC members have an e-mail account listed on
their membership forms. As many as 90 people at a time subscribe
to "sfbike," the electronic mailing list about local bike issues.
And the new SFBC home page is getting accessed dozens of times per
day.

There seems to be a natural association of cyclists with the
on-line world. But how do you make the most of the plethora of
on-line resources? Will you find anything you can't find here in
the tubular times, which you can read without burning out your
eyes?

I've been pedaling the net for the past year or so, and I believe
I've sorted out how to make the most of it. Here's a quick
description of the resources I've found most useful as supplements
to my regular reading of the tubular times and skimming of
Bicycling.

I subscribe to SFBike. When mail comes from there, I quickly skim
off anything that looks like a personal conflict, a flame war, or
a spout of dogma. Alas, such postings are all too common all over
the net, and SFBike is far from immune. What's left are
intelligent queries and responses about how to get around,
possible bike-related improvements, and activist strategy.

On Usenet, I skim through the rec.bicycles. hierarchy, especially
rec.bicycles.soc. Again, flame wars and dogma often get in the
way, but Usenet is the place to encounter people whose ideas and
ideals will challenge yours, and who are experts on subjects you
never knew existed, from the metallurgy of needle bearings to the
politics of speed humps. You will soon decide whose opinions and
facts you can trust, allowing quick perusal of new subjects.

Then there's the World Wide Web. In my opinion, the Web sacrifices
its potentially useful information by emphasizing time-wasting,
redundant, bandwith-munching noise. There are many websites with
useful information for cyclists and bike advocates, but only a
couple of places where you can get started with a useful set of
links. The WWW Bicycle Lane is the most comprehensive collection.
It's a great place to start, since it has catalogued hundreds of
bike-related sites by brief subject. It's a better place to start
than an Internet search, since searches are by nature incomplete
and imprecise. The other place to start is cycling.org's web
server, an entire file hierarchy devoted to things bicycle. From
either of those places, you can quickly lose yourself in
information you never thought you needed.

When using the net, my only advice is: move fast. If a site isn't
dense with information, don't stick around for the pictures.
You'll get more out of the world by going for a ride.

with the following line in the body of the message:
subscribe sfbike

to access the SFBC home page, use the URL
http://reality.sgi.com/employees/ jonim_csd/SFBC.home/

to check out the Bike Lane on the WWW, go to
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ dole/bike.html

to find the home page for cycling.org, the definitive cycling
server, use http://cycling.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Chain of Events
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thur. Nov. 16 10-3, UC Berkeley, Faculty Club
Presented by UC Berkeley Civil Engineering and Transportation
Studies. Guest speakers will include Sergeant Joseph Martin, of
the Hayward Police Dept. Bicycle Patrol and a member of the
International Police Mountain Bike Association. Call (510)
643-7378 or Fax (510) 643-5456 (attn. Dana) for information.

Thur. Nov. 16 5:45 pm, 1660 Mission St. 2nd Floor
This is the group that advises the Board of Supervisors on cycling
issues. Bicycle parking in the garage may be accessed by going to
the Otis St. garage entrance and notifying the security guard via
the intercom. Call Lucinda Means for more info: 395-8067.

Mon. Nov. 20 7 pm, 833 Market St., 9th floor
This is the group that handles the business of the Coalition.
Bicycles allowed inside, of course. Call 431-BIKE for
information.

Fri. Nov. 24 5:30 pm, Justin Herman Plaza
Take advantage of the opportunity to ride off the holiday's
excess.

Wed. Nov. 29 5 pm - 8 pm, 1095 Market #215
We had one of these before, and had great fun. We're doing it
again. And this time, our resources are vastly improved. Come
check out our library; meet SFBC organizers in a relaxed setting.
Bring photos of you and Your bike for a members' collage. To get
in after 6:00 you must go to the phone around the corner and call
us.

Thur., Nov. 30 7 pm, Waller & Steiner
Planning meeting for the next issue at Bean There Cafe.

Sat. Dec 2 11 am, Precita Park
Join the SFBC on another Cultural History Tour, truly into the
bowels of the city. Steven Bodzin will take you from the oldest
box sewer in town, under Cesar Chavez St., to the modern treatment
plants, over the ancient downtown gutterpipes, and eventually out
to the sea. The tour will end at Fort Funston, where abandoned
sewers hang precariously off the cliff, and hilarious hijinx
await. Rain or shine (last year it poured). Meet at Precita Park,
Harrison and Precita Streets, 11 am. Bring snacks or money for
lunch, water, warm/dry clothes. 20 miles, mostly flat, slow. 3-5
hours depending on interest.

Tues. Dec. 5 6:30 pm, 1833 Page St.
Park Branch Library, between Cole and Shrader. Bicycles always
allowed inside. Eat at 6:30, discussion at 7:30. (Some of you
gung-ho types need to show up at 6 to help prepare for dinner.)
Call 431-BIKE for information.

Thurs., Dec. 7 10 am, 401 Van Ness 4th fl.
Supervisor Carole Migden's legislation to require all city
buildings to provide secure bike parking for employees and
visitors will be voted upon at this Board of Supervisors Housing
and Land Use Committee meeting. There's a slight chance the
meeting time may change, and we also may have a better idea of the
exact time this item will be heard, so call 431-BIKE before
attending. Please come. This is the most important legislation for
bicyclists in the last ten years!

Sat. Dec. 9 9:15 am, Mountain View CalTrain
Mountain View shoreline and Palo Alto Baylands on a section of the
Bay Trail. This is the time for seeing migratory birds. Catch 8 am
CalTrain from Townsend for 9:07 Mt. View arrival. Mild ride ends
at California Avenue CalTrain station at about 1:00. Call (510)
559-8684 (or e-mail: PJHo...@lbl.gov) for details.

Mon. Dec. 18 7 pm, 833 Market St., 9th floor
See Nov. 20.

Thur. Dec. 14 5:45 pm, 1660 Mission St. 2nd Floor
See Nov. 16.

Fri. Dec. 29 5:30 pm, Justin Herman Plaza
This is an opportunity for cyclists to flex their collective
political muscle while partying down a little in the spirit of the
season.

Tues. Jan. 2 7 pm, 1833 Page St.
Park Branch Library, between Cole and Shrader. Bicycles always
allowed inside. Call 431-BIKE for information.

We consider this a clearinghouse for transportation-related
events. Please call us with yours. All submissions subject to
editing. Events listed are not all endorsed or sponsored by
SFBC.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Unclassified Ads
SFBC position available
Massage discounts!
Cycle & Recycle Calendars Available
SFBC Supporters
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Marketing and Fulfillment Assistant Internship Available.
Duties: Promote SFBC merchandise--t-shirts, wall calendars--in
bike shops, at bike rides, and through our newsletter. Fulfill
orders, and keep supply on hand. Experience or sales talent
required. Call 431-BIKE.

----

Linda Rene Brannan, H.M.T.
415-292-HEAL
SFBC member will provide a discount on massage for anybody who
mentions they saw the ad in the tubular times!.
----
We now have the 1996 Cycle & Recycle wall calendars,
published cooperatively by 15 bicycle advocacy groups in Europe,
North & Central America, including the SFBC. With photos from
around the world, and a first-ever special Critical Mass center
spread, these are beautiful! For your 11 x 17 inch calendar, send
a check for $9 each, or $7.50 each for 3 or more, to the SFBC,
1095 Market #215, SF 94103.
----
When the SFBC needs hot rush service, they call 431-9286.
BLACK DOG.
Riding hard for the cause: we provide free service to the SFBC.
We'll ride hard for you, too.
----
The following bike industry supporters have contributed to the
SFBC's campaign to implement the bike plan.
By supporting them, you're supporting us. Please shop at:
Start-to-Finish (1-800-600-BIKE for the nearest shop)
San Francisco Cyclery
Open Road
Lincoln

Editorial: SFBC Becoming A Heavy Hitter--With Members' Help
by Niko Letunic

About a half-dozen of us representing the SFBC attended an
inspiring two-day conference on bicycle advocacy and activism this
past weekend in Davis--and we came back with an attitude! It
became clearer than ever to us that our legendary status as
second-class commuters has made us insecure back home, too shy,
afraid to demand what is rightfully ours: safe streets and basic
respect. No more.

For all the SFBC's important work and landmark victories, I want
to apologize to you for all we haven't done on your behalf, all
the missed opportunities, all the times we chose not to fight--and
then get out there and ruffle serious feathers.

Let me give you a glimpse of the SFBC's enviable situation these
days: our membership just exceeded 600, compared to only 50 five
years ago; our most recent bank account balance was the healthiest
one yet (our records, by the way, are open to any SFBC member);
earlier this week we were granted status as a tax-exempt
organization by the IRS; and last week we were awarded a
competitive grant of $2,000 from the city's Traffic Safety
Coalition.

At the same time, we have been receiving more media attention than
ever before: Dave Snyder, our executive director, was quoted in
consecutive issues of City Voice recently, and the Western
Edition, in an article on the fate of the Central Freeway,
characterized the SFBC as a "heavy hitter" in the transportation
arena. It is especially satisfying that we are also now able to
pay Dave a budgeted, part-time salary for the first time.

All of this would be meaningless, of course, if conditions weren't
improving for cyclists in San Francisco. But they are: the City's
Bicycle Advisory Committee and Bicycle Coordinator have responded
to bicyclists' growing clout with an outstanding and lengthy list
of accomplishments. (Call the city's bicycle line at 554-2351 and
leave a message asking for the regularly updated list of "Bicycle
Improvements in Last Two Years.")

We have developed excellent relationships with city departments
whose decisions affect bicyclists (Parking and Traffic, Public
Works, Rec and Parks) and we have in place a supportive Board of
Supervisors that recently introduced progressive bike-parking
legislation.

For me a thrilling sign of change is the surge in the number of
bike commuters on Market Street. As recently as two years ago,
bicycling this thoroughfare was a solitary experience; now a pack
of bicyclist surrounds me at almost every intersection. (By the
way, I encourage you to greet other bicyclists when passing, and,
when in a group, to take the lane.)

While exciting, these developments are not enough. Bicyclists are
still regularly harassed and threatened by motorists, and epidemic
speeding and red-light running by cars have imposed a siege
mentality on pedestrians and those who would like to try cycling.
The SFBC does not intend to disband until bikes, transit and
pedestrians make up most of the city's traffic. When that day
comes, we will have turned our parking lots and garages into green
spaces; we will not be inconvenienced by noise and air pollution
when we open our windows; and we will no longer fear when our
children and elders cross the street.

Now that you've read this far, I want to invite you to help us
move toward this vision. Please call the office at 431-BIKE if you
can give a hand on the newsletter, office work, outreach at
Critical Mass, valet bicycle parking, cultural history tours, or
any of our other projects. Those not easily daunted could
represent the SFBC on various transportation debates (e.g.,
Embarcadero replacement or Doyle Drive reconstruction) or help us
initiate regular workday "commute clots" of cyclists between
downtown and the neighborhoods; also, as we start our tax-exempt
history, we need a pro bono accountant to audit our books. Even
better, come to us for support (and perhaps a micro-grant) to
implement your own project that promotes bicycling.

Finally, this issue includes the first of our action-alert
postcards designed to awaken decision-makers to the strength in
our numbers. If this is all you do for the SFBC, take a few
seconds to find a stamp and mail it in. In our next issue, we will
report--hopefully-- on the successful outcome of your action.
We'll also include another postcard or two, perhaps on our next
agenda item with BART: all hours access!

Niko Letunic is President of the Board of Directors.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SFBC Report
Current Focus: Two Big Campaigns
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The SFBC has two big campaigns heading into next year: continued
organizing for traffic calming along the "Wiggle" bike route, in
the lower Haight; and implementation of the "top ten
recommendations" of the bike plan.

The Wiggle campaign seeks to support the sentiment in the
neighborhood that traffic should slow down to achieve safer and
quieter streets. We will develop a plan that uses a combination of
strategies that may include speed humps, traffic "filters," wider
sidewalks, more green space, traffic circles,

8-15 mph timed lights, and anything else someone might come up
with.

Through education and organizing we will empower neighborhood
residents to get the plan implemented promptly. The lessons we
learn from this will apply to other traffic calming efforts all
over the city.

Community organizing also underpins our strategy to implement the
bike plan. We intend to pull from the plan its 20 best
recommendations and survey cyclists asking for their ten favorite.
We will rank projects, identify supporters, and develop an action
plan for the "bike plan top ten."

Both of these campaigns will suffer without continued growth in
the numbers of cyclists organized through the SFBC, so we're also
continuing our membership campaign. You can help by signing up
your non-member cyclist friends! Call 431-BIKE to join!

---------------------
Valet Bicycle Parking

The SFBC provided valet bicycle parking for the following events:
Green City Project's Fat of the Land Movie Premiere, Health Care
is a Human Right, the SF Blues Festival, the Sunset Community
Festival, and the Castro Street Fair.

We would also like to thank the volunteers for making this free
community service possible: Ricardo Bressanutti, Joni Mehler,
Cecilia Meza, Charles Pitkofsky, Charlotte Breckenridge, Deirdre
Crowley, Bill Michel, Lucinda Means, Tom Harriman, Dave Carcia,
Candice Hamilton, Mary Wunderlich, Rhonda Winter, Howard Williams,
David Snyder, Stuart Coulthard, Chris Stern, Jon Birdsong, Lisa
Morrin, Joel Pomerantz, Veronica Wentz, John Seagrave, Charles
Denefeld, Mary Ellen, Niko Letunic, Jennifer Gilman, Nick Bonnell,
Matthew Eichler, Larry Chinn.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bike Coordinator's Report

Peter Tannen, SF Bicycle Coordinator, reports monthly on what his
office is doing for the city's cyclists. This month's report is
largely about projects they've completed and might yet start.
Contact Tannen at SF DPT, 25 Van Ness Ave #345, San Francisco
94102-6033 (tel) 554-2351 (fax) 554-2352 (email) PTa...@aol.com.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Drain grates in GG Park, which have been snagging bike wheels for
years and were one of the annoyances that led to SF hiring a
bicycle coordinator, are finally being repaired by bike-friendly
staffers. The DPW says the work should be done within a few
weeks.

CalTrain's abrupt and welcome increase in bike capacity, from 12
to 24 bikes per train, is being paid in part by SF bike funds.

The raised ceramic markers across Judah Street near 16th Avenue
have been removed and a stray asphalt hump on a downhill portion
of Portola Drive at Mcateer High School northwest of O'Shaughnessy
Boulevard have been removed. Tannen has convinced the DPT not to
use raised ceramic lane markers at intersections, as they pose a
hazard to cyclists. However, they will continue to use them for
lane stripes.

The DPT Signal Shop has adjusted the metal detectors in left turn
lanes on the South Embarcadero. They now will cause the light to
change when a bike sits on the loop.

Bike lockers are being placed in yet more city locations. General
Hospital is up for quite a few.

Enhancements section of ISTEA--the Intermodal Surface
Transportation Efficiency Act--are the following projects.

The Duboce Avenue Bicycle/Pedestrian Mall with historic tie-ins to
the historic streetcars stored just to the north and a bicycle
history mural on Safeway's north wall.

Improving the bicycle paths under Hwy. 101 at Cesar Chavez
Street.

Removing a travel lane on Howard Street and adding a bike lane (if
analysis shows this can be done). I have initiated this analysis
by a traffic engineer.

Editor's Note: The Republicans have cut out these Enhancements,
and alternative transportation advocates are scrambling to save
ISTEA, ceding defeat on Enhancements. For information, contact the
Surface Transportation Policy Project, st...@igc.apc.org.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Quick Release
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

----------------------------------
Bikes Stay On Buses Through Summer

Golden Gate Transit Route 80 will continue to allow bikes on board
for another year, thanks to a successful pilot program during the
summer. The bus district's board of directors voted to continue
the program through the summer of 1996. The program's rules are
now posted at all major GGT stops; call GGT, 415-923-2000, for
more info.

Route 80 runs over 30 round trips daily between SF and Santa Rosa,
in Sonoma County. Thanks again to SF's Terry Rolleri, who was the
organizing force in bringing GGT's policy to its current state. He
is no longer pressing them to enhance access, as access is now
adequate for San Francisco residents wishing to travel north.
Advocates wishing to press this issue further, perhaps pushing for
bus access to Pt. Reyes and Mt. Tam, should call 431-BIKE.

---------------------
15 mph is Fast Enough
In New York City, civic groups have joined into the Neighborhood
Streets Network. They aim to reduce speeds on residential streets
to 15 mph, develop safe routes to schools, and secure greater
funding for human-powered transportation. Call Paul Harrison at
212-475-4600 for their newsletter or for more information.

-----------------------------
Oregon Cyclists Get Big Money

A 24-year-old statute in Oregon has been upheld by that state's
Supreme Court, forcing road-building agencies to spend "a
reasonable amount" of funding for any project on bicycle and
pedestrian improvements. At least 1% of an agency's budget must be
devoted to bike and ped improvements every year. The
Portland-based Bicycle Transportation Alliance sued to implement
the law after a Portland overpass was built with no access for
bicycles, replacing a bike-friendly bridge.

----------------------------------
Amtrak's New Rules May Cost You $7

On most Amtrak long hauls, where bikes must be treated as luggage
and put in a box, the surcharge will remain $5, but the box will
cost $7 extra. Amtrak says the increase is a pass-on of higher
rates for cardboard. Cyclists may bring their own boxes, which may
be given away free at a friendly bike shop. Sometimes one can find
empty Amtrak bike boxes lying around the train station. Ticketed
passengers may still check their bike as luggage at all stations
with a baggage check.

Editors' Note: The $7 fee is an update from $6 reported in the
printed tubular times. Amtrak just upped the fee by $1.

----------------
CABO Needs a Rep

The CA Association of Bicycle Organizations needs a new San
Francisco area representative. CABO represents bicyclists and
bicycle organizations, mainly recreational clubs, at the state
level. Because San Francisco is a little more radical than most
places in the state, it's especially important we have quality
representation.

Call Dave Snyder, the former rep, at 431-BIKE, for information.
It's a good way to be introduced to statewide bicycle politics.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
tubular times INDEX
Compiled by: Maya Ciuzenski
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1. U.S. bike shops' average gross profit margin on bikes = 33%.
2. On apparel = 46%
3. Total number of participants in the 1995 Cycle Messenger World
Championships (CMWC) held in Toronto this August: 600
4. Rank of Daniel Thompson, SFBC member and fastest San Francisco
representative = 19.
5. Number finishing in the overall top ten of the CMWC from
Germany = 6.
6. From the United States = 0.
7. Rank of Lisa Goldsmith, first U.S. woman to finish = 31.
8. Rank of Erik Zones, from San Francisco, in the CMWC Cargo Bike
Race: 1
9. Cost of flying your bicycle on most airlines: $45
10. Cost of flying your bicycle on America West, Continental,
Northwest, TWA, or US Air,
with a League of American Bicyclists membership = $0.
11. Number of bicycle lockers recently placed in downtown San
Francisco Parking garages = 24
12. Number of lockers being used to date =12 (hint, hint).
13. CalTrain's average daily ridership = 23,000
14. Number of passengers who brought their bicycles on CalTrain on
October 3rd this year = 920.
15. Average daily ridership on BART = 225,000
16. Average number of passengers who bring their bicycles on BART
daily: 1,800
17. Percent of CalTrain passengers who bring their bicycles on
board = 4%.
18. Percent of passengers who bring their bicycles on BART = 0.8%
19. Number of people who died in car accidents between 1971 and
1974 in the US = 1 million
20. On Amtrak = 63

SOURCES: 1-2: 1995 Interbike Directory 3-8: Cycle Messenger
World Championships, Toronto 1995, Official Race Results 9-10:
League of American Bicyclists 11-12: San Francisco Bicycle
Coordinator 13-14, 17: CalTrain 15-16, 18: BART 19-20:
Northwest Bicycle Federation

Contributors: David Snyder, Peter Tannen, Ken Maley. Adrian
Brandt.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Membership Information
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OUR MOVEMENT IS
BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join other cyclists working together to make San Francisco the
most bicycle-friendly city in the country!

MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS:

TUBULAR TIMES: The Bay Area's best cyclist's magazine, delivered
to your home at least six times a year.

URBAN CYCLIST SURVIVAL KIT: Includes an excellent street grade
map, free
reflectors, bikes-on-transit permit applications, and other nifty
stuff!

BIKE BUDDY SERVICE: We help you pick a route, give you safety
advice,
and escort you once or twice. (Great for potential bike
commuters!)

BIKE TRAILER: Use our heavy-duty cart for your heavy hauling
needs,
free!

ACTIVISM OPPORTUNITIES: Join with others in efforts to win
critical but
difficult campaigns, like car-free streets and better transit
access!

DISCOUNTS: Chop off dollars at any of the thirteen bike shops
listed
below. Your membership can pay for itself!

A stronger, more effective SFBC. With your help, the SFBC will
soon be
traffic-calming the Wiggle. Next step: Market Street! We also need
implement the Bike Plan. To do so, we need 1,000 members. We are
moving
fast toward 600 right now. You can help make the city bikeable!

Print and mail:

Name

Address

City, State, ZIP

phones (h) (w)

fax

email

occupation

_$35 get a free SFBC t-shirt (size:____)
_$20 individual
_$10 minimum
_$___ other
_$100 Sustaining. Receive the t-shirt and local producer Ted
White's
inspiring international bike documentary video, Return of the
Scorcher.

_I checked with my employer about matching my donation.

Free memberships are available in exchange for volunteer time.
Call
(415) 431-BIKE to inquire.

I can volunteer in the following ways:
_organizing along the "Wiggle" bike route (lower Haight)
_staffing an information table
_office assistance
_phone tree calling
_providing valet bike parking