17/P Holmes - Report

1 view

Akarsh Simha

Oct 24, 2007, 3:03:34 PM10/24/07
to majestic...@yahoogroups.com, astronomy...@yahoogroups.com, b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks to Amar pinging me on Instant Messenger, I ran out to see Comet 17P/Holmes. I read from Amar's mail here that it was about 2.8 mag and in Perseus. Chennai has been blessed with clear skies today despite passing rain clouds. In one such clear window, I saw Perseus and noticed this extra 'star' to the 6 o' clock of Mirfak (Cassiopeia was at culmination). Comparing magnitudes with Lambda Persei showed that it had about the same brightness. I got back and checked with KStars to see that the only star in that region was a 4.2 magnitude star, which I would have definitely not seen, given that this is a moonlit night in a city. Besides, the new 'star' was just about as bright as Lambda Persei.

I gave Amar an estimated position of RA = 04:02, Dec = 49.5 degrees, by noting the co-ordinates of the position from KStars. Amar verified that the position was RA = 03:53, Dec = 50 degrees!

People! It is really visible! Run out and try to see... about 6 o' clock to Mirfak at present!! And it is bright enough to see with naked eye despite moonlight, from a city! It looks just like any other 3rd Magnitude star with the naked eye.

(Boo hoo... I don't have binoculars / telescopes here :-((((( )

(PS: Sorry about the extremely informal nature of this mail, I'm far too excited to type a sensible formal e-mail)

Clear Skies,
Akarsh Simha

Akarsh Simha

Oct 24, 2007, 3:23:44 PM10/24/07
to majestic...@yahoogroups.com, b-...@googlegroups.com, astronomy...@yahoogroups.com
> Comparing magnitudes with Lambda Persei showed that it had about the same brightness. I got back and checked with KStars to see that the only star in that region was a 4.2 magnitude star, which I would have definitely not seen, given that this is a moonlit night in a city. Besides, the new 'star' was just about as bright as Lambda Persei.

I stand corrected. It is not lambda persei but delta persei. Lambda persei is the 4.2 magnitude star! Thanks to Sameer from Khagol Mandal for correcting me (through Amar)

--
Akarsh Simha