Barony of Auchinleck

Colin Affleck

Feb 6, 2021, 4:24:38 AM2/6/21
to Ayrshire History
Hello all.
I'm new to Ayrshire History but it looks very interesting. My particular interest is the early history of the Shire. At the moment, this means the Barony and Parish of Auchinleck. What I am collecting are the names of the various villages and hamlets which would have made up the Barony and Parish before modern times, roughly the 16th century.
But its slow going. There is a ton of stuff after about 1504 when the Boswells became the Lords of Auchinleck. But before that when it was held by the Lords Auchinleck of Auchinleck? Not so much.
So far I have only collected the names Temple Auchinleck, Pennyland, Cronberry and Boghead though there must be many more. Any help with this much appreciated.
Regards,
Colin

Duncan McClue

Feb 6, 2021, 12:21:51 PM2/6/21
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
nd Nether  Keithstown and Rogerstoun. The only place name remaining is the farms of Rogerton. Keistown was granted a burgh of barony and was allowed to hold a lamb fair every year.The lambfair was held in the north of the town while the church was in the south splitting the village in two. Further north was Templetoun. These all joined to-gether to make Auchinleck as it is to-day.

Duncan McClue

Feb 6, 2021, 12:21:51 PM2/6/21
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
The first of the Auchinlecks was Nichol de Achethlec mentioned in the ragman roll (1292-7)--another spelling of the name is Nicholas de Hagenlek whose mother was a Craufuird of Louduon castle who was the sister of lady Margaret Craufuird of Loudoun ,the mother of William Wallace,therefore the Auchinlecks were cousins of William Wallace. The lands of Auchinleck were granted by the first Stewart to a vassal who assumed the name from the local place name

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 9:24 AM Colin Affleck <affleckfam...@gmail.com> wrote:

Duncan McClue

Feb 6, 2021, 12:21:51 PM2/6/21
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Colin ,but it looks as though half of my reply has went missing, if so contact me and I'll send it again

Angela Torrance

Feb 7, 2021, 4:22:19 AM2/7/21
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi I'm from Auchinleck by birth.Its great to hear all this,there would have been a wealth of knowledge in the Boswell museum in the old Auchinleck kirkyard, sadly I remember it suffered badly in a fire and a lot of the old documents would have been lost. Went there as a young child on walks and it was amazing place.