programmatic blur filter

xero

Sep 28, 2007, 12:19:10 PM9/28/07
to away3d.dev
hey list.

im xero (aka the.fontvir.us) yet another PV3D defectiee.

so i have completed my first away3D demo, w/ the help
if the lession files. i have also successfully created custom
objects w/ the as3 geometry exporter for 3DSM.

so,
i have been working on a DOF (depth of field) expariment
in PV3D for a wile now, and have had no luck. so im porting
it to away3D to see if i can achieve my goals.

i have many object on the screen. that are decreasing in .z
over time. as this happens i want to increase the blur filter
for just that one object.

here is an amazing example of what im taking about....
http://www.adobe.com/jp/events/cs3_web_edition_tour/swfs/perform.swf

now, my demo isnt physics based like the above demo by roxik's
but you get the distance blurring idea...

i was talking w/ pete for a minute last night,
and he didnt know the answer.

so tell me list. can you apply blur filters to individual objects (or
materials?)
in away3D? if so, can i get a little sample code...?

(i know you know the answer to this fabrice)

xero.
____ ___
\ \/ /___________ ____
.\ // __ \_ __ \/ _ \
./ \ ___/| | \( <_> )
/___/\ \___ >__|---\____/
| \_/ \/ |
| xero harrison |
| x...@xero.nu |
| http://xero.nu |
| http://fontvir.us |
| http://xero.owns.us |
`---------------------'

joshstrike

Sep 29, 2007, 12:00:38 PM9/29/07
to away3d.dev
That example seems to use flat Sprites, not a true 3D engine. There's
no way I'm aware of to put a blur filter on a single object in a 3D
scene; but what you could do would be to use a movieclip as a texture
for each object, then add a blur filter to each movieclip. You'd still
have hard edges, unless the clips were made somehow to blur into
transparency around the edges...
Josh

On Sep 28, 12:19 pm, xero <xero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hey list.
>
> im xero (aka the.fontvir.us) yet another PV3D defectiee.
>
> so i have completed my first away3D demo, w/ the help
> if the lession files. i have also successfully created custom
> objects w/ the as3 geometry exporter for 3DSM.
>
> so,
> i have been working on a DOF (depth of field) expariment
> in PV3D for a wile now, and have had no luck. so im porting
> it to away3D to see if i can achieve my goals.
>
> i have many object on the screen. that are decreasing in .z
> over time. as this happens i want to increase the blur filter
> for just that one object.
>

> here is an amazing example of what im taking about....http://www.adobe.com/jp/events/cs3_web_edition_tour/swfs/perform.swf

Fabrice Closier

Sep 30, 2007, 3:46:54 PM9/30/07
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Well, you could do something else... instead of rendering geometry you could hack a material and use projection coordinates to animate 2d sprites on screen. if you would enter only 1 face per sprite, you could do a lot. If you ask cam position too you can easylly use distance to get blur or fade values.
The Roxic demo is true 3D on the calculations, but the items being shows are indeed just 2D sprites, that why it's that fast and also why he choose a sphere as image. Mr Doob was using i think another technic, adding planes in PV and i guess ask each planes each time to look at the cam. As a result you get low rendering...

Fabrice