Away3d 2.2: the Motherlode

Rob Bateman

Sep 27, 2008, 5:46:17 PM9/27/08
to away3...@googlegroups.com
After a buildup possibly only matched by the splitting of the atom...

The Away3d team are pleased to announce the release of the 2.2.0 update to the Away3d engine!

you can download the update from the trunk in the svn repository:

http://away3d.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

or go to the downloads section of away3d.com where a new zip file is available:

http://www.away3d.com/downloads

plus all your favorite demos upgraded (with minimal fuss) to the latest codebase.

Man oh man have we got features for you. Some more demos will be released in the coming days to illustrate some of whats on offer, but here a brief (!) rundown of the tastiest bits...

Triangle caching

So i'm sure everyone has heard of or seen the triangle caching available in the Alternativa engine. Well, think similar, but about ten times as useful, and your there! Triangle caching works by avoiding a redraw of an object if neither the camera or object has been updated. In 2.2 caching is done per-canvas, so objects in their own canvas will have their own triangle caching. This is where the fun really starts, because virtually any scene with a static camera that employs the ownCanvas property on it's objects will benefit, and the system will allow stupid amounts of triangles to be cached - tests have been done with 100,000 poly scenes without blinking an eye.

Collada bones

This has been lacking in our feature set for a while now - but no more! The bones importer is integrated into the collada importer, so you need know nothing new in order to use bones in your project. The only visible addition is the animationLibrary, which works in a similar way to the materialLibrary. Many different types of collada file have been tested to ensure a wide range of compatibility, plus collada bones objects can now be cloned complete with their skeletons by using the new cloneAll() function.

Pathextrude and pathanimator classes

This is the last word in bendy generated objects. You want a road, a ribbon, a railway? how about a bridge or tunnel? With pathextrude, this becomes easy. Pathanimator can then come along and help you move an object along the surface of your extrusions. If you haven't seen already, check out this fantastic example of the system in action: http://www.closier.nl/blog/?p=77.

Bounding boxes and bounding spheres

One for the physicists, or anyone wanting to detect collisions between irregular objects. The bounding system now available allows you to calculate the bounding radius or box for any object. Not only that, but the calculations will update in real time for any animations on the mesh or child objects. A simple debug tool allows you to keep track of what's going on by setting debugbb or debugbs to true on any object.

Meshrenderer

This has been talked about for a while, but the official name for it now is the Projector. These classes are responsible for the step in between projection matrix calculations and the render loop - the point where all visible elements of an object are projected into drawing primitives ready to be rendered. The projector classes do this in a number of default ways for triangles, segments and sprites. However, you don't have to stop there! Now you can create custom projector objects that can render in any way you want - maybe just vertex information as scaled bitmaps, or a selection of faces based on a defining property, or completely different drawing method for segment objects... Demos to follow with this one!

A few more additions of note:

Simple shadows class
Obj exporter
Separated geometry classes
Corrections to multiple view interaction
custom renderer definition on ownCanvas objects
Fixed mirroring in 3ds files
Elevation2AS3 function
ElevationModifier class
Added non-destructive scaling properties on objects
non-destructive movePivot on objects

So while this has been a little longer than our usual month and a half cycle, we hope this goes some way to explaining what the wait has been about

In other news:

Conference!

I will be giving a presentation on the features of Away3d, new and old, at this year's Flash on the Beach conference in Brighton, UK. If you're attending I hope you can make it - first session on day 3.. ouch! Let me just say in advance that hangovers are welcome. Hope to see you there.

Training!

There is a new two-day training session being setup in London specifically for Away3d called Essential Away3d Techniques. Arranged through the LFPUG (http://www.lfpug.com) it will be running on the 22nd-23rd October, and at only £235 should be within almost everyone's budget. We operate smaller class sizes than some others to allow a more personal approach to training - the class size here is set to a maxium of 15 people. Feedvack from previous sessions can be see by reading the comments posted on the site: http://www.lfpug.com/?s=3d+training.

As with any new release, bugs are only to be expected. We will be doing our level best to rectify those reported as quickly as possible - if anyone does experience problems, please report them etiher on the mailing list or in the issues tracker in the googlecode repository:

http://code.google.com/p/away3d/issues/list

Enjoy the new release!

the Away3d Team

--
Rob Bateman
Flash Development & Consultancy

rob.b...@gmail.com
www.infiniteturtles.co.uk
www.away3d.com

Iman Khabazian

Sep 27, 2008, 7:01:49 PM9/27/08
to away3...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on your huge release!

I was just wondering, in regards to the triangle caching logic, did you consider caching the triangle in cases where the object and camera both move but move the same way.

Again congratulations, the feature list seems extremely impressive and useful.

thanks,
Iman

paullaster

Sep 28, 2008, 12:37:58 AM9/28/08
to away3d.dev
Congrats you guys! That is a huge release!

With the download link the Demos and Source link to the same
Away3dDemo zip file

thanks for the hard work.
eDdie

On Sep 27, 4:01 pm, "Iman Khabazian" <ima...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > *Training!*
>
> > There is a new two-day training session being setup in London specifically
> > for Away3d called *Essential Away3d Techniques.* Arranged through the
> > LFPUG (http://www.lfpug.com) it will be running on the 22nd-23rd October,
> > and at only £235 should be within almost everyone's budget. We operate
> > smaller class sizes than some others to allow a more personal approach to
> > training - the class size here is set to a maxium of 15 people. Feedvack
> > from previous sessions can be see by reading the comments posted on the
> > site:http://www.lfpug.com/?s=3d+training.
>
> > As with any new release, bugs are only to be expected. We will be doing our
> > level best to rectify those reported as quickly as possible - if anyone does
> > experience problems, please report them etiher on the mailing list or in the
> > issues tracker in the googlecode repository:

Rudolph Thomas (TIGME.COM)

Sep 28, 2008, 6:11:11 AM9/28/08
to away3...@googlegroups.com
There is a typing error on this page:
http://away3d.com/downloads
away3d sources <- This link is point to the wrong file it should point to:
http://away3d.com/download/away3d_2_2_0.zip
away3d demos
away3d tests
getting started

Thanks for the hard work...

Kind regards .. Rudolph Thomas in...@tigme.com www.tigme.com
www.carrara3d.co.za --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.O. BOX 442 KLEINMOND 7195 SOUTH AFRICA [P] 028 271 5450 [M] 082 254 3927
[F] 088 028 271 5450

Rob Bateman

Sep 28, 2008, 10:33:26 AM9/28/08
to away3...@googlegroups.com

tain

Sep 28, 2008, 11:07:20 AM9/28/08
to away3d.dev
Thank you Away3d Team.
I just quickly tested some things, and looked at rewritten examples
and demos, and results are stunning.
better, faster, stronger :P

thank you for your great work.

On Sep 28, 4:33 pm, "Rob Bateman" <rob.bate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cheers guys. Corrected.
>
> Rob
>
> On 9/28/08, Rudolph Thomas (TIGME.COM) <rudo...@tigme.com> wrote:
>

> > There is a typing error on this page:
> >http://away3d.com/downloads
> > away3d sources <- This link is point to the wrong file it should point to:
> >http://away3d.com/download/away3d_2_2_0.zip
> > away3d demos
> > away3d tests
> > getting started
>
> > Thanks for the hard work...
>
> > Kind regards .. Rudolph Thomas i...@tigme.comwww.tigme.com
> rob.bate...@gmail.comwww.infiniteturtles.co.ukwww.away3d.com

Ian Stokes

Sep 28, 2008, 12:29:21 PM9/28/08
to away3d.dev
WAY COOL GUYS! thanks!

On Sep 27, 2:46 pm, "Rob Bateman" <rob.bate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> *Training!*
>
> There is a new two-day training session being setup in London specifically
> for Away3d called *Essential Away3d Techniques.* Arranged through the LFPUG
> (http://www.lfpug.com) it will be running on the 22nd-23rd October, and at
> only £235 should be within almost everyone's budget. We operate smaller
> class sizes than some others to allow a more personal approach to training -
> the class size here is set to a maxium of 15 people. Feedvack from previous
> sessions can be see by reading the comments posted on the site:http://www.lfpug.com/?s=3d+training.
>
> As with any new release, bugs are only to be expected. We will be doing our
> level best to rectify those reported as quickly as possible - if anyone does
> experience problems, please report them etiher on the mailing list or in the
> issues tracker in the googlecode repository:

mogg

Sep 28, 2008, 4:07:34 PM9/28/08
to away3d.dev
YES! AWESOME WORK!

Thank you!
> > rob.bate...@gmail.comwww.infiniteturtles.co.ukwww.away3d.com- Hide quoted text -

BOURNE 3D

Sep 28, 2008, 8:07:10 PM9/28/08
to away3d.dev
Great Work guys. Collada and path animation is awesome a nice feature.
This is the best news since 3D Texture painting in P/Shop CS4.

Great Demo, Bateman Bridge, LOL. Thats really cool. Keep it up Away
Team.

On Sep 27, 10:46 pm, "Rob Bateman" <rob.bate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> *Training!*
>
> There is a new two-day training session being setup in London specifically
> for Away3d called *Essential Away3d Techniques.* Arranged through the LFPUG
> (http://www.lfpug.com) it will be running on the 22nd-23rd October, and at
> only £235 should be within almost everyone's budget. We operate smaller
> class sizes than some others to allow a more personal approach to training -
> the class size here is set to a maxium of 15 people. Feedvack from previous
> sessions can be see by reading the comments posted on the site:http://www.lfpug.com/?s=3d+training.
>
> As with any new release, bugs are only to be expected. We will be doing our
> level best to rectify those reported as quickly as possible - if anyone does
> experience problems, please report them etiher on the mailing list or in the
> issues tracker in the googlecode repository:

Demon.S

Sep 29, 2008, 12:18:10 AM9/29/08
to away3d.dev
good updates!!! thx away3d team!

laurent

Sep 29, 2008, 9:14:44 AM9/29/08
to away3...@googlegroups.com
This is demo is unbelivable! So fast with this big scene. And funny!!
hehehe really nice tribute to everyones work!
Congratulations!!