WIMBA

Bailey, Ernest L

Aug 11, 2010, 9:31:56 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

Is anyone else using Wimba primarily as a lecture capture tool?  We are in year 2 and experiencing several problems.  I need to know if they are unique to our campus.

Ernie Bailey, CTS
Director of Audiovisual Services
Office of Academic Services
Voice: 501.686.5556
Mobile: 501.590.9628
Fax: 501.686.8352

confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message..

Franklin, Willie C

Aug 11, 2010, 9:34:31 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

Ernie,

I am exploring lecture capture technology right now and welcome hearing about your experiences.  My research currently is limited to Echo 360 as a possible solution.

Willie

Willie Franklin, Director

Instructional Support Services

1 South Grove Street

Westerville, Ohio 43081

614-823-1663

614-823-1700 FAX

Sam Felarca

Aug 11, 2010, 9:42:19 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com
We are using Wimba at Wayne State University. At the School of Business, we use Mediasite and/or Wimba depending on the circumstances of the class.

Sam Felarca

McCarty,Jacky E

Aug 11, 2010, 9:43:21 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

We have been through a couple of Classroom Capture systems and have settled on NCast for instructors that want to capture video camera content as well as computer content. And for computer and voice capture only we us Camtasia. We then export the files to Flash for posting on the servers.

We have been using NCast and Camtasia for a couple of years now. About 80% of what capture is Camtasia sessions.

Jacky McCarty CPBE

Assoc. Dir. TV Engineering Services

Telehealth Services

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

713-792-5017

Elaine M Mello

Aug 11, 2010, 9:47:52 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com

We have both Echo360 and Accordent capture stations here for use on campus, as well as an open source lecture capture tool known as Openeya (which can be found at openeya.org.)  Prior to switching to the Echo we were using Apreso.

Elaine Mello, CTS
Distance Education & Streaming Operations Manager
MIT Libraries -  Academic Media Production Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue - Rm 10-337
Cambridge, MA 02139

    Tel:  617-452-2172
Mobile:  617-719-5279

Call me on Movi: emell...@amps.ms.mit.edu

liblogo

Donald E Newman

Aug 11, 2010, 10:01:06 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com, Sherry A Clouser

I am not directly involved in supporting lecture capture but know that Wimba is used campus wide for distance ed with some “podcast capture” (several departments are also using Camtasia, Echo360, etc.).

(From my perspective the real trick for wide deployment of these capture systems is backend automation so that every capture session isn’t a video production, editing, transcoding, and publishing project.)

_____________________________

Donald Newman

Classroom Technology Engineer

UGA, Center for Teaching and Learning

(706) 542-3456

Aug 11, 2010, 10:10:20 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com, Sherry A Clouser

I would agree with Don; we use Camtasia Relay because it seamless, very user friendly, and there is no post. It processes the captures, and automatically uploads them in multiple formats to multiple sites including iTunes,  and afs website, and a archive server. It then sends an e-mail to the user with a link so they can see the video, and post the link in the LMS or website for their students to see if they are not on iTunes, or need a higher quality playback then an m4v.

We also use Wimba capturing interactive sessions online.

Joe Bonchi, (bon...@njit.edu)

Assistant Director

Instructional Technology and Media Services

New Jersey Institute of Technology

GITC 0300

218 Central Avenue           Voice (973) 596-3005

Newark, N.J. 07102           Fax (973) 596-6465

Phil Kaufman

Aug 11, 2010, 10:39:56 AM8/11/10
to av...@googlegroups.com
About a year ago I wrote up a long detailed comparison so Echo360, MediaSite and Panopto for our school. The short version is that both Echo360 and MediaSite are about the same cost after 3years, were fairly expensive, but had good integrated scheduling tools. Panopto is software based, much less expensive, and currently requires the user to start and stop the recording session. I have heard that Panopto is coming out with a scheduling tool soon. Take a look http://www.panopto.com/. I like the way Panopto handles multiple video inputs and gives you a nice search & index based on the text used in PowerPoint slides.

-Phil
philk.vcf