MTEXT BUG?

Joshua Tapp

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
I just tried cutting and pasting from one mtext entity into another by
opening up the edit text dialog box from the donor, highlighting the text,
right-click and copy, then hitting cancel and opening up the edit text
dialog for the receiver, highlighting the text, right-click and paste, and
then hit OK. Sometimes, extra information gets put in, formatting
information that I don't think was present in the donor. Here's what the
info looks like (and keep in mind that both sets of text are RomanS):

\fRomanS|b0|i0|c0|p0;SEE SPECIFICATION....

Also, I can edit this out using DDMODIFY (not edit text, it won't show up),
but one of them won't let me edit the contents within the DDMODIFY dialog
box, 'cause it's greyed out. Why won't it let me edit this specific one?

Why does it add in this extra formatting info? It's not there in either
text before the copy/paste.

--
Joshua Tapp
Designer/Intern

Joshua Tapp

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Man, you post a question and it doesn't get answered in the first go-round
it's bumped down 50 posts in nothin' flat<g>.

Was my post confusing?

--
Joshua Tapp
Designer/Intern
SCM Consultants, Inc.
"Successful Projects and Satisfied Clients"
www.scm-ae.com
jo...@scm-ae.com

Gordon Reynolds

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Johsua
I have seen this before. I cannot remember the circumstances. The MTEXT
editor is unusual to say the least. Try converting the source file to a
text file then use cut and paste or the import option

gordon
gor...@pshift.com

Steve Doman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Joshua Tapp wrote:
>Was my post confusing?

Joshua,

No it wasn't confusing. I'll try my best to explain the problem you are having
with the Mtext editor.

When you copy mtext (or text) using Windows Copy, AutoCAD sends the "copy" to
the Windows copy buffer. You can then switch to any (or most) Windows programs
and paste the contents of the buffer into the application. So that this other
application will be able to display the text as it was drawn in AutoCAD, some
formatting codes such as font, size, color, etc. are included.

The problem occurs when pasting the text back into AutoCAD because the
formatting codes imbedded in the paste point to a TrueType font, even if the
original text was a shx font. This happens because other apps such as MS Word,
do not use shx fonts and must substitute a TrueType. The "bug" is that AutoCAD
is not smart enough to strip out such garbage as it is pasted in.

There is a simple work-around to this problem which I have been using for a long
time with great success. It's involves downloading a tiny program called
PlainTxt.exe and creating a shortcut to it in your Start folder. This program
will place a toolbar button on you screen which you can move to an out of the
way location. Then you can simply hit the PlainTxt button to strip out the
garbage in the buffer before pasting back into AutoCAD. PlainTxt.exe was
written by Thomas M. Tuerke and he graciously gifted it upon us as freeware.

I uploaded a copy to the Customer-Files back in October. If your interested,
search the ng for:

From: "Steve Doman" <ste...@onlinemac.com>
Newsgroups: autodesk.autocad.customer-files
Subject: Re: garbage in text
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:00:42 -0700

If you can't locate the file, I send it to you or any one else that is
interested.

As for the "grey-out" dialog, I dunno...

Regards,
Steve Doman

Christal Elliott [Autodesk Support]

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Hi Joshua - I believe these problems related to limitations with
ai_propchk (Modify MTEXT) dialog. It seems that the edit box is grayed
out ( you are forced to use the full editor) because the edit tile has
a limit of 80 characters, so it is disabled if the MText object
contains more characters. The control codes you see in the Modify
MTEXT dialog are significant, but are not visible in the full editor.

If you use DDEDIT in a similar fashion to select the mtext object,
copy, cancel, select the other mtext object, paste, I think it could
be less troublesome.

On Wed, 12 May 1999 13:48:52 -0700, "Joshua Tapp" <jo...@scm-ae.com>
wrote:

>Man, you post a question and it doesn't get answered in the first go-round
>it's bumped down 50 posts in nothin' flat<g>.
>
>Was my post confusing?

I just tried cutting and pasting from one mtext entity into another by

Christal Elliott
//Autodesk Support on the Net//

Joshua Tapp

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
I knew it had to do with the Windows Copy, but I don't understand why it
happens sometimes, and other times it doesn't. What I ended up doing was
exploding it, which stripped the info, and then changed it back into mtext
(using a custom routine I have in my possession).

I'll look for the program you talk about. Thanks, Steve.

>As for the "grey-out" dialog, I dunno...

Check out Christal's post for the reason behind the "grey-out".

Joshua Tapp

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
>If you use DDEDIT in a similar fashion to select the mtext object,
>copy, cancel, select the other mtext object, paste, I think it could
>be less troublesome.

I did use DDEDIT at first, but it never displayed that information, and I
only saw it in DDMODIFY on the "contents" box. Thanks for explaining why it
was greyed out.

After being confirmed by Steve Doman's post, that extraneous info was
Windows formatting for other programs that might have the text pasted in.
My question now is, why does it happen sometimes, and other times it
doesn't?

Steve Doman

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99

Joshua Tapp wrote:
> ... What I ended up doing was exploding it, which

> stripped the info, and then changed it back into mtext
> (using a custom routine I have in my possession).

Joshua, that will work on mtext but watch out for dimension and leader text.
They have the same problem as regular mtext. You wouldn't want to explode them
and lose the associatively! :)

> Check out Christal's post for the reason behind the "grey-out".

I have and a tip-of-the-o'hat to Christal for explaing that obscure one!

Have fun.
Steve Doman

Christal Elliott [Autodesk Support]

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Joshua - I am not really sure why. Of course, if there isn't any
formatting needed, such as a single line of unformatted text, the
contents box will remain clear of codes.

On Thu, 13 May 1999 08:36:56 -0700, "Joshua Tapp" <jo...@scm-ae.com>
wrote:

>>If you use DDEDIT in a similar fashion to select the mtext object,

>>copy, cancel, select the other mtext object, paste, I think it could
>>be less troublesome.
>
>I did use DDEDIT at first, but it never displayed that information, and I
>only saw it in DDMODIFY on the "contents" box. Thanks for explaining why it
>was greyed out.
>
>After being confirmed by Steve Doman's post, that extraneous info was
>Windows formatting for other programs that might have the text pasted in.
>My question now is, why does it happen sometimes, and other times it
>doesn't?

Christal Elliott