wmf resolution

Michael Puckett

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables wmfout/in
resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?

I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like a
decent resolution. As is ... not!

(A14 and A2K).

______________________________

puck...@bantrel.com
Not a Member of the AutoDESK
Discussion Forum Moderator Program
Imagination makes all things possible
______________________________

Jos Groot Lipman

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
In article <7q3vdv$im...@adesknews2.autodesk.com>,
puck...@bantrel.com says...

> Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables wmfout/in
> resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
>
> I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like a
> decent resolution. As is ... not!
>
> (A14 and A2K).

The wireframe and widelines options only apply to WMFIN,
they do not affect WMFOUT.

When using 2D work you can increase the resolution of a
WMF by increasing the VIEWRES setting. As simple as
that.

When you have a 3D model and you have done a HIDE on it
you're in trouble: No easy way to increase the
resolution. Only solution in this case is to play around
with the SOLPROF command.

--
J. Groot Lipman
Author of Better WMF and Screen Wintab

Tom Lamerson

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Hey Mike...What are you ultimately trying to achive? Are you taking the WMF
into a different program? I do something similar and I could possibly help.

tom_la...@millspride.com
www.millspride.com

Michael Puckett <puck...@bantrel.com> wrote in article
<7q3vdv$im...@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...

> Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables
wmfout/in
> resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
>
> I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like a
> decent resolution. As is ... not!
>
> (A14 and A2K).

Tom Lamerson

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
When hiding 3D drawings, facetres settings can help resolution. They help
me anyhow.

tom_la...@millspride.com

Jos Groot Lipman <j...@furix.com> wrote in article
<MPG.122fb43d...@adesknews.autodesk.com>...

> In article <7q3vdv$im...@adesknews2.autodesk.com>,
> puck...@bantrel.com says...

> > Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables
wmfout/in
> > resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
> >
> > I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like
> > decent resolution. As is ... not!
> >
> > (A14 and A2K).

Michael Puckett

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Hi Tom, thanks for responding.

The exported files are too be used internally, that is, back to the same
session of AutoCAD. They must accurately represent the view from which they
were generated, be it ms or ps resident viewport, hidden or not hidden.

Regards,

M_i_c_h_a_e_l

______________________________

Tom Lamerson <TLAM...@MILLSPRODE.COM> wrote in message

Hey Mike...What are you ultimately trying to achive? Are you taking the WMF
into a different program? I do something similar and I could possibly help.

tom_la...@millspride.com
www.millspride.com

Michael Puckett <puck...@bantrel.com> wrote in article
<7q3vdv$im...@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...

> Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables
wmfout/in
> resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
>
> I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like a
> decent resolution. As is ... not!
>
> (A14 and A2K).

Michael Puckett

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Hi Jos, thanks for responding.

I am aware of viewres (running 20000), and painfully aware of the
degradation when exporting hidden views, the very impetus for my post.

Solprof will not suffice for my needs.

Regards,

Michael.
______________________________

Jos Groot Lipman <j...@furix.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables
wmfout/in
> resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
>
> I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like a
> decent resolution. As is ... not!
>
> (A14 and A2K).

The wireframe and widelines options only apply to WMFIN,

Tom Lamerson

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Michael,
Before exporting as a WMF, try changing your facetres setting. Play around
with it until you get the desired resolution in your WMF file. Hope that
helps!

tom_la...@millspride.com

Michael Puckett <puck...@bantrel.com> wrote in article

<7q4596$im...@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...

> Hi Tom, thanks for responding.
>
> The exported files are too be used internally, that is, back to the same
> session of AutoCAD. They must accurately represent the view from which
they
> were generated, be it ms or ps resident viewport, hidden or not hidden.
>
> Regards,
>
> M_i_c_h_a_e_l
>

> ______________________________
>
> puck...@bantrel.com
> Not a Member of the AutoDESK
> Discussion Forum Moderator Program
> Imagination makes all things possible
> ______________________________
>

> Tom Lamerson <TLAM...@MILLSPRODE.COM> wrote in message
> Hey Mike...What are you ultimately trying to achive? Are you taking the
WMF
> into a different program? I do something similar and I could possibly
help.

> tom_la...@millspride.com
> www.millspride.com
>

> Michael Puckett <puck...@bantrel.com> wrote in article
> <7q3vdv$im...@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...

> > Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables
> wmfout/in
> > resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
> >
> > I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like
> > decent resolution. As is ... not!
> >
> > (A14 and A2K).

Michael Puckett

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Facetres is a good call, but it still does not improve the quality. Also,
hideprecision (thanks Alex) has negligible effect.

Thanks for trying.

______________________________

When hiding 3D drawings, facetres settings can help resolution. They help
me anyhow.

tom_la...@millspride.com

Jos Groot Lipman <j...@furix.com> wrote in article
<MPG.122fb43d...@adesknews.autodesk.com>...

> In article <7q3vdv$im...@adesknews2.autodesk.com>,
> puck...@bantrel.com says...

> > Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables
wmfout/in
> > resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
> >
> > I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like
> > decent resolution. As is ... not!
> >
> > (A14 and A2K).

Dale Fugier

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Hi Michael,

You might be interested in a product called BetterWMF. See
http://leden.tref.nl/glipman/Default.htm for details.

Also, we have an ADI device driver for R14 that plots WMFs (it's part of our
PlotPack product). This is what we use for all of our documentation.

--

Dale Fugier
Robert McNeel & Associates

It has approximately the same benefits as
Michael Puckett <puck...@bantrel.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know if there is a secret system variable that enables
wmfout/in
> resolution higher than the default etch-a-sketch resolution?
>
> I know about the wireframe and widelines options (wmfopts) --- I'd like a
> decent resolution. As is ... not!
>
> (A14 and A2K).

Michael Puckett

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
I reviewed BetterWMF quiute awhile ago, perhaps I need to again. I know it was quite capable, but the cost to bundle it
in a commercial application (for me) was a little prohibitive.

Your driver sounds very intriguing. What's the high end resolution of your adi driver? 16bit integer? Does it plot
circles as circles, or polylines? Honors hiding?

Thanks very much for the info.

________________________________

puck...@cadvision.com

>Not< a Member of the AutoDESK
Discussion Forum Moderator Program

Imagination makes all things possible.
________________________________

Peter Farrell

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
That Link was Bad: (I just checked)
The new link is:

http://www.furix.com/

P. Farrell

Brian Anderson

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
>Also, we have an ADI device driver for R14 that plots WMFs (it's part of our
>PlotPack product). This is what we use for all of our documentation.

The PlotPack metafile driver is absolutely first rate. I've been
using it to make WMF's to import into Pagemaker for product catalogs.
Nothing else I have tried gives me the same quality.

Does McNeel intend to update PlotPack for Acad 2000? Or do I have to
keep that old copy of AutoCAD on my computer forever? (g)

Regards, Brian