Vonnegut e-mail

Stephanie Fuqua

Aug 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/6/97

Has anyone received and passed along an e-mail about a Kurt Vonnegut
commencement speech supposedly given at MIT? If so, and you would like
to be quoted for an article in the Austin American-Statesman, please
call 912-2951.

Thanks!

Stephanie Fuqua
chat coordinator
www.Austin360.com
sfu...@NOSPAM.cimedia.com

To reply to me personally, remove NOSPAM from address.

Chip Rosenthal

Aug 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/6/97

In article <5salsf$evt$1...@news.internetmci.com>,

Stephanie Fuqua <sfu...@NOSPAMcimedia.com> wrote:
>Has anyone received and passed along an e-mail about a Kurt Vonnegut
>commencement speech supposedly given at MIT? If so, and you would like
>to be quoted for an article in the Austin American-Statesman, please
>call 912-2951.

Wired News has already debunked this urban legend.
<http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/5762.html>

Instead of doing happy fluff, how about a story on something that
matters to local Internet users ... like the UUNET death penalty.

On the other hand, maybe it's better to leave that hard reporting
stuff to the San Jose Merc and Washington Post. The Statesman can
just tear and run whatever comes on the AP feed.

--
Chip Rosenthal support CAUCE
Unicom Systems Development because junk email stinks

Lug

Aug 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/6/97

In austin.general Chip Rosenthal <ch...@unicom.com> wrote:
: In article <5salsf$evt$1...@news.internetmci.com>,

: Stephanie Fuqua <sfu...@NOSPAMcimedia.com> wrote:
: >Has anyone received and passed along an e-mail about a Kurt Vonnegut
: >commencement speech supposedly given at MIT? If so, and you would like
: >to be quoted for an article in the Austin American-Statesman, please
: >call 912-2951.

: Wired News has already debunked this urban legend.
: <http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/5762.html>

Best to go to the source itself. The article about the Vonnegut Urban Legend
wildfire -- written by the author of the "speech" itself (it's actually a
column) -- can be found at
http://www.chicago.tribune.com/news/current/schmich.htm

Enjoy.

-- L

Albert Nurick

Aug 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/7/97

In article <5scu81$e...@piglet.cc.utexas.edu>, dou...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
says...
> A few months ago, one of the DJ's on KHFI warned everybody, on the
> air, about how there were stickers going around the elementary
> schools, laced with LSD. Another urban legend, this one, according to
> the Urban Legend FAQ, having no basis in reality that anybody knows of.

I saw the same thing on the bulletin board at a business in Round Rock.
When I pointed out to the "manager" that this was an urban legend, he
shrugged, and said that he didn't put it up.

Inertia is easier than making decisions, I suppose.

--
Albert Nurick
Partner, data.net communications

Aaron Evans

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997 01:15:03 GMT, ch...@unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal)
wrote:

>In which case I will owe the Statesman an apology. Please keep me
>advised. I tend to buy the Dallas Morning News (sorry Molly) when
>I feel a need to get ink all over my hands.

The Daily Texan is a reasonable alternative to the Austin-American
Spaceman. The Texan has all the applicable news except they do it in
12 pages.

---
Aaron Evans (aaron...@mail.utexas.edu)
IBM Open Class and OS/2 software designer

Gordon Mohr

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

Stephanie Fuqua wrote:
> Has anyone received and passed along an e-mail about a Kurt Vonnegut
> commencement speech supposedly given at MIT? If so, and you would like
> to be quoted for an article in the Austin American-Statesman, please
> call 912-2951.

Can't help you there, but I heard from a very reliable source
that the 'Chronicle short story rejects' recently posted here
were written by none other than... Mary Schmich of the Chicago
Tribune!

- Gordon Mohr
- g o j o m o @ i n t e r n e t m c i . c o m

l...@monkeybird.com

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

In austin.general Gordon Mohr <"gojomo@"@internetmci..com> wrote:
: Can't help you there, but I heard from a very reliable source
: that the 'Chronicle short story rejects' recently posted here
: were written by none other than... Mary Schmich of the Chicago
: Tribune!

bahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha!

-- L

Doctor Lizardo

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

In article <33ea659a...@news.cc.utexas.edu>,

Aaron Evans <aaron...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>The Daily Texan is a reasonable alternative to the Austin-American
>Spaceman. The Texan has all the applicable news except they do it in
>12 pages.

Don't forget we have award-winning sports and entertainment sections
as well. Plus we carry the New York Times crossword puzzle. And all
this is available for free on campus or along UT shuttle bus routes.

Before anybody asks: yes, I write for them.

--
Eric M. <liz...@net-abuse.org> http://net-abuse.org/~lizardo/

Terry Moore

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

In article <5ta918$9...@news.jumpnet.com>, liz...@vicious.net-abuse.org
(Doctor Lizardo) says:

>>The Daily Texan is a reasonable alternative to the Austin-American
>>Spaceman. The Texan has all the applicable news except they do it in
>>12 pages.
>
>Don't forget we have award-winning sports and entertainment sections
>as well. Plus we carry the New York Times crossword puzzle. And all
>this is available for free on campus or along UT shuttle bus routes.
>
>Before anybody asks: yes, I write for them.

The Daily Texan is a might fine publication. It changes 'complexion'
with each change of editor which seems to be each semester but
I don't see a thing wrong with that. In fact, it keeps the
Texan from falling into a rut.

Cheers.

Terry at Lake Bastrop

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

In article <5tagip$vq$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, terry...@mail.utexas.edu
(Terry Moore) wrote:

> >>The Daily Texan is a reasonable alternative to the Austin-American
> >>Spaceman. The Texan has all the applicable news except they do it in
> >>12 pages.

Just to give you my tuppence worth, the Statesman does seem to be the
biggest waste of paper I have ever had the misfortune to experience. I
mean, can anyone find the articles amongst all the advertising junk? More
to the point, can anyone finds any articles worth reading? Although the
Texan could do a lot better (getting facts straight occasionally etc), it
is far superior to that pile of wank that passes as a lame excuse for a
daily.

Actually, thinking about it, I tell a lie. It was useful once. I moved
into an apartment where they hadn't cancelled their subscription and so
the dog was able to use something as a toilet.

r.

Gordon Gunn

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

In article <33F9E4...@realtime.net> Ron Cain, ron...@realtime.net
writes:
>Congratulations r., you seem to have discovered one of the three main
>uses for the Austin Un-American Statesman. The remaining two are,
>wrapping fish and lining birdcages.

Ah, but there is another. Starting fires in fireplaces and BBQ pits.

Gordon in Austin

Establishing solid interconnectivity between components
ensures that when you throw the computer out the window,
the printer goes with it.

Spider

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Austin-American Spaceman

I'd say Austin-American Mistakesman

Errors in Advertising & Editorial.

And the ink is so heavy, you need turpentine to get it off your hands
after reading one section.

Also the Texan let's you post web addresses on your advertisements.

Ron Cain

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

r wrote:

> Just to give you my tuppence worth, the Statesman does seem to be the
> biggest waste of paper I have ever had the misfortune to experience.

> Actually, thinking about it, I tell a lie. It was useful once. I moved

> into an apartment where they hadn't cancelled their subscription and so
> the dog was able to use something as a toilet.
>
> r.

Congratulations r., you seem to have discovered one of the three main
uses for the Austin Un-American Statesman. The remaining two are,
wrapping fish and lining birdcages.

Ron

LPB

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Ewww, you'd EAT fish that'd been wrapped in that toxic rag!!

I'd use it to throw out what I cleaned out of the fish, but my
dinner'd never touch it.