Bagels in Austin?

iach...@bcrvmpc2.vnet.ibm.com

Apr 20, 1994, 1:55:35 PM4/20/94
Hi. I recently moved to Austin from South Florida. I like it here much
better. One thing I miss though are the places like Bagelland and the
like that make all kinds of fresh bagels every morning. Are there places
like this in Austin? I have tried HEB's bagels but they don't compare to
real bagels. Thanks.

Rich Iachetta
iach...@bcrvmpc2.vnet.ibm.com
I do not speak for IBM.

David L. Campbell

Apr 20, 1994, 9:51:32 AM4/20/94
In article <CoKKG...@austin.ibm.com> iach...@bcrvmpc2.vnet.ibm.com writes:
>Hi. I recently moved to Austin from South Florida. I like it here much
>better. One thing I miss though are the places like Bagelland and the
>like that make all kinds of fresh bagels every morning. Are there places
>like this in Austin? I have tried HEB's bagels but they don't compare to
>real bagels. Thanks.

I'm not an expert, but I really like the Bagel Manufactury on Guadalupe
across from the campus.

David.
--
+-----==== opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer ====-----+
| David L. Campbell, IBM Austin, TX | "... and you eat your own soul |

Stan Schwarz

Apr 20, 1994, 5:11:12 PM4/20/94
There is, or at least was in the recent past, a bagel place in the Farmer's
Market on Burnet Road. Their bagels were quite good. In fact, they were
as good as any I have had in NYC or on Fairfax in LA.

Stan

Snehanshu Shah

Apr 20, 1994, 5:29:31 PM4/20/94

Try the Bagelry on Mesa and Spicewood. They have pretty good bagels.

Snehanshu Shah ph. (512) 891-8769 (w)
(512) 338-4549 (h)
Motorola
VISUALIZE WHIRLED PEAS

charles...@amd.com

Apr 20, 1994, 6:55:49 PM4/20/94
> Hi. I recently moved to Austin from South Florida. I like it here much
> better. One thing I miss though are the places like Bagelland

There's a bagel place on 5th street just west of Congress.

However, in general, bagels in Texas suck.

The best bagels on the planet can be obtained from Spinelli Bagels
on Rt 7 in Norwalk, CT... but of course, this is well known and
common knowledge :-)
--
Chuck Herrick
personal opinions

Robert D. Trent

Apr 21, 1994, 10:16:25 AM4/21/94
I agree with Chuck about the place on W. 5th, I think it's called The Bagel
Deli.

As far as grocery stores go, the only one that has anything remotely
resembling bagels rather than doughnut-shaped dinner rolls, is Fiesta. Be
sure to try the ones with their own label - not any of the pre-packaged
ones.

--
Robert D. Trent
tr...@mail.utexas.edu

mi...@austin.ibm.com

Apr 21, 1994, 12:49:32 PM4/21/94
Give 'The Bagelry' a try. They are located on Mesa Dr, in one of
those strip centers north of Spicewood Springs Rd.

I don't claim to be a bagel expert, but to me these are very good.

--
Mike Kravetz IBM RISC System 6000
AIX Kernel Development

Albert Nurick

Apr 21, 1994, 1:55:16 PM4/21/94
mi...@austin.ibm.com wrote:
: Give 'The Bagelry' a try. They are located on Mesa Dr, in one of

: those strip centers north of Spicewood Springs Rd.

I believe they're in the process of opening up a second location far north
on Research, in the shopping center just before Anderson Mill.

.. Albert Nurick ..
.. alb...@bga.com ..

JGomoll

Apr 21, 1994, 11:04:02 AM4/21/94

>One thing I miss though are the places like Bagelland and the
>like that make all kinds of fresh bagels every morning. Are there places
>like this in Austin?

Try Texas French Bread's bagels. They're the best I've found in Austin.
Julie Gomoll

Tim Devick

Apr 21, 1994, 10:44:23 AM4/21/94

The Bagelry, 8127 Mesa, has *really* good bagels. They have quite a
variety - multi-grain, cinnamon-raisin, pumpernickel, rye, onion,
"everything" bagels (they have just about every ingredient from all
the other bagels), and others (I can't remember all the kinds, but
they sell about 8-10 different kinds of bagels).

As far as I'm concerned, HEB doesn't make bagels (they do make
something that *looks* like bagels that they label "bagels").

David Friedman

Apr 21, 1994, 8:56:19 PM4/21/94
Try the place on Mesa between Spicewood and Steck.

dhfx

Leslie Devlin

Apr 22, 1994, 1:18:16 AM4/22/94
Robert D. Trent <tr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>I agree with Chuck about the place on W. 5th, I think it's called The Bagel
>Deli.

Hot Jumbo Bagel. They're on the south side of the Bank One parking
garage, and not only do they have yummy bagels but they also have
good flavored cream cheese to go with them.

-Leslie, who's partial to the jalapeno cream cheese
--
Leslie Devlin * "There are thousands of fish in the sea
la...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu * But most of them are floating on top"

Siddarth Subramanian

Apr 22, 1994, 9:48:44 AM4/22/94

I beg to differ. The last time I had them, TFB's bagels tasted like
they were baked from bread dough. They're pretty good for what they
are, but they don't taste like what I've been led to believe bagels
should taste like.

I'd recommend the Bagelry on Mesa also.

--
Siddarth Subramanian
sidd...@cs.utexas.edu

Will Fiveash

Apr 20, 1994, 7:31:59 PM4/20/94
In article <DCAMPBEL.94...@timshel.austin.ibm.com>,

David L. Campbell <dcam...@timshel.austin.ibm.com> wrote:

>I'm not an expert, but I really like the Bagel Manufactury on Guadalupe
>across from the campus.

I had a pretty good bagel from Texas French Bread the other day as well.

--
Will Fiveash, "My opinions above, facts below."
Internet: wi...@austin.ibm.com