Impersonating a Newspaper

Mike Rizzo

Jan 13, 1992, 9:58:01 PM1/13/92
The Austin American Statesman as a newspaper appears to be getting worse.
Since it is the only newspaper Austin has, this is serious. There is simply
not enough news in this paper. News! You know, "who, what, when, where" news.
Reports on the things that happened the previous day, locally, nationally, and
globally.

I am at a loss in explaining how a newspaper could be so lacking in news. This
Sunday's paper provided one of the worst examples. On page 1, in the prime
news slot, "Insemination industry prompts new kind of seed catalog". I kid you
not. The rest of the front page consisted of analysis pieces on the Texas
House, historical Lampasas, and the AISD election. All of which reported on
little if anything that had happened on the previous day. The entire front
page devoted to articles better suited to the magazine format of a Sunday
Supplement!

If you thought that perhaps the news was safely tucked inside on page 2 and 3,
guess again. Page 2 sported an article on "monster stereo cars". Page 3 was
devoted to a review of an environmental organization's report issued on
Saturday, admittedly news after a fashion. Also, on Page 3 was an article on
the shooting of gulls at JFK Airport. Again, I kid you not.

Now, the only explanation I can come up with is that the editors of this
so-called newspaper believe that they cannot compete with the electronic media
in the dissemination of news. Therefore, they have thrown in the towel and do
not even bother to compete. Instead, soft analysis, magazine articles, and
human interest stories have become their stock in trade. Note, they don't
even cover local news prominently. And this in the state capital, no less.

When television news offers us only sound bites, only the print media can
provide depth and breadth to a news story. Surely, a monopoly newspaper can
make a profit offering a paper with NEWS in it.

This is an issue that should unite all Austinites. The right to at least one
local NEWSpaper.

What to do? Who to call? Who to write? Has anyone tried to correct this
embarassment already? And what were the results? Have the editors previously
offered an explanation, apologia, or rationale?

Can anything be done or should I just bow to the inevitable and cancel my
subscription?

Patrick M Crumhorn

Jan 14, 1992, 7:56:10 PM1/14/92
One of the few redeeming features in the Austin American-Snakeskin
is Dave Barry. Fans may have noticed that Dave didn't run in his usual
Sunday Lifestyle slot. Why? According to a Statesman staffer questioned
this morining, the paper needed the space for the DEBUTANTE announcements.
The prosecution rests.

Alan Weiss

Jan 14, 1992, 7:32:23 PM1/14/92
In article <12...@devnull.mpd.tandem.com> mri...@allwedo.UUCP (Mike Rizzo) writes:
>The Austin American Statesman as a newspaper appears to be getting worse.
>Since it is the only newspaper Austin has, this is serious. There is simply
>not enough news in this paper. News! You know, "who, what, when, where" news.
>Reports on the things that happened the previous day, locally, nationally, and
>globally.

>Can anything be done or should I just bow to the inevitable and cancel my
>subscription?

Your message hit home. I'm going to switch to the Austin Chronicle
for local news and the Wall Street Journel for national/international.
The Chron. may be a little to the left of Raul Castro, but its
well written fer crissake, and I can balance my bleeding heart with
a capitalist daily-tool, the Journel. Top if off with
McNeil-Lehrer after work (taped, 'natch) and I'm all set.

How's that for sticking it in Roger's eye?

Alan R. Weiss
Tired of Fluff

Jan Byrd

Jan 15, 1992, 11:04:55 AM1/15/92

What has happened to Mike Kelley's column? Didn't he used to alternate
with Kelso? I haven't seen his column lately.

Jan

Dewey Coffman

Jan 15, 1992, 8:54:41 PM1/15/92
In article <12...@devnull.mpd.tandem.com> mri...@allwedo.UUCP (Mike Rizzo) writes:
>The Austin American Statesman as a newspaper appears to be getting worse.
>Since it is the only newspaper Austin has, this is serious. There is simply
>not enough news in this paper.

I don't agree with this. It appears to have been CONSISTENTLY BAD for
the last five years. I don't think it's gotten any worse.

>Now, the only explanation I can come up with is that the editors of this
>so-called newspaper believe that they cannot compete with the electronic media
>in the dissemination of news.

No competition seems to be the only explantation. Now that Dallas
has only one newspaper, it will be interesting to see if that
one goes done the tubes.

>When television news offers us only sound bites, only the print media can
>provide depth and breadth to a news story. Surely, a monopoly newspaper can
>make a profit offering a paper with NEWS in it.

Magazines seem to have taken the place of newspapers and in some
cases books/novels. It's just the wave of a high paced society.

>This is an issue that should unite all Austinites. The right to at least one
>local NEWSpaper.

The Business section is my main gripe. That's why I starting
taking the Austin Business Journel(see below). Pulled from
Austin FAQ I'm putting together.

Austin Business Journel,
1301 S Cap of TX Hwy, C200, 78746, 328-0180, $49/yr

>What to do? Who to call? Who to write? Has anyone tried to correct this
>embarassment already? And what were the results? Have the editors previously
>offered an explanation, apologia, or rationale?

About a year ago, there was talk of a new daily paper coming
to town. For some reason it never happened. Anyone know the
story here? I was ready to subscribe....too bad.

>Can anything be done or should I just bow to the inevitable and cancel my
>subscription?

Cancel your subscription and subscribe to any or all of the
other local/weekly newspaper...again, here is the list from
my FAQ.. additions welcomed.

Austin American Statesman at 445-3500
Austin Chronicle, 454-5766
Austin Music & Entertainment Magazine, 444-9323
Austin Business Journel, 1301 S Cap of TX Hwy, C200, 78746, 328-0180, $49/yr
Sour Grapes Magazette, 2020 E. St. Elmo Rd., Austin, 78744
Texas Beat, Box 4429, austin, 78765, 441-2422, $20 MUSIC
New Texas, 1512.5 South Congress, Austin, 78704-2437, 462-1990
Music City Texas, 600 South 1st #123,Austin,78704, 441-7423

--
Dewey Coffman "If you fail to plan, plan to fail."
UUCP: {cs.utexas.edu, bigtex, uudell}!sooner!dewey

Stephen Y. Tennison

Jan 16, 1992, 2:58:51 PM1/16/92
I don't read the Austin American Salesman but my girlfriend will sometimes
get a subscription, get dissapointed, and let the subscription lapse.

Since I don't read the thing, what bothers me the most about the
paper is the extreemly young (10-12?) people that they get to go door-to-
door grubbing for subscriptions. Sometimes they are even out in the rain
for crying out loud.

One one occasion, a younster came to my door trying to sell me a subscription.
My girlfriend wasn't around so I told him he was outta luck. Later, I went
into town to run some errands and I saw the kid sitting on a street corner.
I figgure he was waiting for a ride home or to another location. No big deal.
When I came home a couple of hours later it was getting dark and the kid was
still sitting there on the street corner.

Is there a child labor law problem here?

Steve Tennison

Marc Wiz

Jan 15, 1992, 2:28:42 PM1/15/92
In article <12...@devnull.mpd.tandem.com>, mri...@mpd.tandem.com (Mike

Rizzo) writes:

> The Austin American Statesman as a newspaper appears to be getting worse.
> Since it is the only newspaper Austin has, this is serious. There is simply
> not enough news in this paper. News! You know, "who, what, when,
where" news.
> Reports on the things that happened the previous day, locally,
nationally, and
> globally.

Just my two cents worth but my wife and I cannot stand Diane Holloway
the tv critic.

The Statesman is not the L.A. Times, New York Times or the Washington Post.

Marc Wiz MaBell (512)838-4780

Yes that really is my last name.
The views expressed are my own.

ma...@aixwiz.austin.ibm.com

wood...@sunstar.austin.ibm.com

Jan 16, 1992, 11:53:10 AM1/16/92
Rizzo) writes:

> The Austin American Statesman as a newspaper appears to be getting worse.
> Since it is the only newspaper Austin has, this is serious. There is simply
> not enough news in this paper. News! You know, "who, what, when,
where" news.
> Reports on the things that happened the previous day, locally,
nationally, and
> globally.
>
> I am at a loss in explaining how a newspaper could be so lacking in
news. This
> Sunday's paper provided one of the worst examples. On page 1, in the prime
> news slot, "Insemination industry prompts new kind of seed catalog". I
kid you
> not. The rest of the front page consisted of analysis pieces on the Texas
> House, historical Lampasas, and the AISD election. All of which reported on
> little if anything that had happened on the previous day. The entire front
> page devoted to articles better suited to the magazine format of a Sunday
> Supplement!

Bo and Bama were talking about that article on Monday morning. They said
the article said that the donor's sement was frozen for storage. But it
takes a real man to fill one of those ice cube trays :-)

Seriously, I just moved down here from Washington, D.C., and it's kind of
nice to have a newspaper where you don't have to read about the daily
murders. I mean, D.C. averages over a murder a day. OK, so the news
content is a little low. Maybe that's because there isn't as much news.

Alan Weiss

Jan 16, 1992, 6:50:11 PM1/16/92

Well, I called the Statesman and cancelled my subscription,
and the next day they still delivered a paper. It was
better than usual -- but not by much. So it goes.

That evening, someone from the paper called and wanted to know
why I cancelled. I told him that I thought the paper had a
bunch of fluff news, was getting thinner and thinner, and
had poorly-reasoned editorials. About 30 seconds into my
explanation, I could tell that the caller/poller had
paged-out, and didn't *really* want good customer feedback.

I give the Statesman 9 months before they either get bought
out, fire the Managing Editor, or close their doors. Maybe
the Dallas newspaper folks can get together an LBO and buy
Roger out?

Alan R. Weiss
execu!sequoia.execu.com!unisql!al...@cs.utexas.edu

Mark Linimon

Jan 17, 1992, 2:57:25 AM1/17/92

There appears to me to be an easy and elegant way to exact revenge upon the
Real-Estatesman for its error: mention the incident to Dave Barry himself.
This is exactly the type of absurdity that he seems particularly able to have
fun ridiculing, say, in the next week's column.

If the poster won't do it, I will :-)

Mark
--
Mark Linimon / Lonesome Dove Computing Services / Austin, Texas
{balkan,chinacat,uunet}!nominil!linimon || "I like the Sex Pistols -- they

Jill Nilson

Jan 17, 1992, 10:55:55 AM1/17/92

>I give the Statesman 9 months before they either get bought
>out, fire the Managing Editor, or close their doors. Maybe
>the Dallas newspaper folks can get together an LBO and buy
>Roger out?
>
>Alan R. Weiss
>execu!sequoia.execu.com!unisql!al...@cs.utexas.edu

Yeah, but the rag is owned by the same company who owns Blockbuster
videos, among other things. My friend works at the AAS. I don't see
much changing. Why should they? They've got the market cornered. That
is unless *everybody* canceled their subscription...

Ciao
Jill
never-have-subscribed-and-proud-of-it

John Iacoletti

Jan 17, 1992, 1:45:15 PM1/17/92

It figures. I am also amazed that they wouldn't run a little cartoon
criticizing Dan Quayle, but they have no problem running seven
full-page articles praising him. Not to mention the fact that Roger
refused all advertising from KLBJ until they publicly apologized for
a little prank they played on the bridal page. Oh for a little
competition in this town.

On the positive side they have Ben Sargent. You may not always agree
with the point he's making, but I've never seen a political cartoonist
as good at saying so much in one little panel.

--
John Iacoletti Internet: joh...@hwperform.austin.ibm.com
IBM Advanced Workstations Div. "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't