Perrymandering .. GOP defecates on Texas

Name withheld by request

Jul 12, 2003, 3:22:58 PM7/12/03
Houston Chronicle
July 11, 2003, 9:27PM

PERRYMANDERING

Redistricting without the people, against the people

As the regular session of the Legislature got under way in January,
the most prominent politicians in Austin all thought redrawing
congressional districts in Texas this year was ill-advised. Those
leaders were all Republicans, and they were right.

Gov. Rick Perry, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and House Speaker Tom
Craddick, together and severally, noted that there was little
enthusiasm and great reluctance among legislators to engage in a
divisive partisan battle at a time when Texas faced a budgetary crisis
and many more pressing needs. But first Craddick and then Perry placed
themselves at the beck and call of U.S. House Majority Leader Tom
DeLay.

Craddick's craven attempt to ram redistricting down Texans' throats
resulted in the flight of House Democrats to Oklahoma, which scuttled
redistricting during the regular session. Then Perry, against his
better judgment, called the Legislature into special session for
another wasteful and unwanted attempt.

The issue now resides in the Texas Senate following House passage of a
redistricting bill that would disrupt longstanding representation of
rural and minority interests and dismember some urban communities.
Dewhurst, the Senate's presiding officer, said if no bill passes out
of Senate Judiciary Committee he would consider redistricting dead.
But some senators can't take a hint. Ignoring widespread public
opposition, they wish to plunge ahead without the people and against
the people.

Some Republican partisans complain that opposition to redistricting is
nothing more than liberal fear of increased Republican control of
Congress. How, then, do they explain the doubts and concerns initially
expressed by the Republican leadership in Austin?

Redistricting between national censuses is needlessly confusing for
all voters, no matter what party they belong to. That is why so many
Texans spoke out against redistricting at hearings across the state.

As numerous polls show, most Texans are pleased with their
representative in Congress and want to keep him or her in Washington.
That is why the incumbents won the last election, many with bipartisan
support.

As if the redistricting battle weren't malodorous enough, Texas
Attorney General Greg Abbott foolishly hired a lawyer working for
Congressman DeLay to represent the interests of the state of Texas.
The lawyer, Andy Taylor of Houston, is the attorney of record for
Texans for a Republican Majority, a political action committee founded
by DeLay.

Since Abbott and DeLay both want a redistricting bill that will pass
legal and constitutional muster, Abbott in effect is subsidizing
DeLay's lawyer at taxpayer expense.

The Voting Rights Act and the U.S. Constitution are areas of the law
with which Abbott (a former Texas Supreme Court justice) and his staff
should be abundantly familiar. If the attorney general had to seek
outside counsel, he should have retained one who at least could have
pretended to serve a public rather than a private interest.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/1990959
"Conservatives aren't necessarily stupid but most stupid people are
conservative." -John Stuart Mill

Rob Jones

Jul 12, 2003, 8:01:09 PM7/12/03
they also defecate on the other 49 states. they defecate on whoever Big
Business and the Rich tell them to defecate on.

--rj take the red pill.

"Name withheld by request" <anon...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote in message

n/a

Jul 13, 2003, 7:55:09 AM7/13/03

"Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message

> they also defecate on the other 49 states. they defecate on whoever Big
> Business and the Rich tell them to defecate on.

And we have ALL been defacated on. I'm ready for someone with a BIG roll of
toilet paper to come along and wipe this mess up (aka vote them out of
office). Enough is enough. Get rid of the robber barons.

Mike Smith

Jul 13, 2003, 9:34:00 AM7/13/03
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:55:09 GMT, "n/a"
<NoEmailBec...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>"Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message
>> they also defecate on the other 49 states. they defecate on whoever Big
>> Business and the Rich tell them to defecate on.
>
>And we have ALL been defacated on. I'm ready for someone with a BIG roll of
>toilet paper to come along and wipe this mess up (aka vote them out of
>office). Enough is enough. Get rid of the robber barons.

>> "Name withheld by request" <anon...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote in message

>> > Houston Chronicle
>> > July 11, 2003, 9:27PM
>> >
>> > PERRYMANDERING
>> >
>> > Redistricting without the people, against the people

<snipped another clueless rant by a lying liberal>

OK You morons... The sycophant editor at the Chronicle must be on
vacation. The real explanation about why we have to do the
redistricting now was published today. Here it is:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/outlook/1991257
"The Texas Constitution clearly bestows the responsibility for
redistricting on the state legislature. Therefore,As Texas Attorney
General Greg Abbott publicly stated in reply to an inquiry from the
state House Redistricting chairman, State Rep. Joe Crabb, R-Kingwood,
"the Legislature not only has the authority to draw congressional
lines, but the responsibility to do so." "

Mike Smith

From http://imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm
World peace cannot be achieved by sitting around
on our duffs singing hippy songs to the moon.
Peace can only be achieved through excessive acts
of seemingly mindless violence. Who do bullies
pick on in the playground? The giant, crazy looking
guy who looks ready to snap and kill the person
nearest or some harmless looking weenie who appears
to do anything to avoid conflict? People pick on
the weenie because people like to start fights
they think they can win. In the same way, people
will continue to attack America and our interests
when they get the idea that they can piss off America
without us immediately eradicating them and everyone
around them in the most painful way possible.

Bill Walker

Jul 13, 2003, 11:39:10 AM7/13/03

"Mike Smith" <m...@wt.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:55:09 GMT, "n/a"
> <NoEmailBec...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>

> >"Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> they also defecate on the other 49 states. they defecate on whoever Big
> >> Business and the Rich tell them to defecate on.
> >
> >And we have ALL been defacated on. I'm ready for someone with a BIG roll
of
> >toilet paper to come along and wipe this mess up (aka vote them out of
> >office). Enough is enough. Get rid of the robber barons.
>
> >> "Name withheld by request" <anon...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote in message

> <snipped another clueless rant by a lying liberal>
>
> OK You morons... The sycophant editor at the Chronicle must be on
> vacation. The real explanation about why we have to do the
> redistricting now was published today. Here it is:

Just a couple of questions concerning this point.. The issue of
re-districting was brought up after the census numbers were in in 2000..
Perry, Craddick, Crabbe and a few of the other lap-dogs, didn't give it
priority at that time and the issue was tabled and resolved in the supreme
court.. We have been re-districted and the plan was accepted by the people
of Texas.. The contention now is that it never happenned ?? Hello.....

The second question is why this is such an important issue during this time,
since the majority party is controlling the state house, the house of
representatives and the senate.. Could the influence from the nation's
capitol in the form of Tom DeLay, have something to do with this priority??

Bill Walker
Irving, Tx..

Neal Atkins

Jul 13, 2003, 11:45:10 AM7/13/03
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:39:10 GMT, "Bill Walker"
<bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> OK You morons... The sycophant editor at the Chronicle must be on
>> vacation. The real explanation about why we have to do the
>> redistricting now was published today. Here it is:
>
>Just a couple of questions concerning this point.. The issue of
>re-districting was brought up after the census numbers were in in 2000..
>Perry, Craddick, Crabbe and a few of the other lap-dogs, didn't give it
>priority at that time and the issue was tabled and resolved in the supreme
>court.. We have been re-districted and the plan was accepted by the people
>of Texas.. The contention now is that it never happenned ?? Hello.....

Texas was handed a re-districting plan thought up by Klinton
appointees that was designed to hand the MINORITY democRAT party a
MAJORITY of the Representative seats. Since the democRAT party has
fallen apart on the state level, that was the only way they could
retain some power.

>The second question is why this is such an important issue during this time,
>since the majority party is controlling the state house, the house of
>representatives and the senate.. Could the influence from the nation's
>capitol in the form of Tom DeLay, have something to do with this priority??

Uh, Rep. Tom DeLay isn't in the state legislature. And he isn't the
Govenor. Rep. Tom DeLay can't pass any legislation in Texas.

Nice strawman tho.

Bill Walker

Jul 13, 2003, 12:21:51 PM7/13/03

"Neal Atkins" <nat...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Uh.... keep up .. Tom DeLay is the one who started this mess and his
influence contributed to the execution of it.. I called his name on TV on
two occasions and before illustrious committee members and that is the
facts.. Go for it .. Where were you ??

Bill Walker
Irving, Tx..

> Nice strawman tho.

Rob Jones

Jul 13, 2003, 12:30:18 PM7/13/03
its called consolidating republican big business/Rich power, baby!!!

--rj

"Bill Walker" <bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message

n/a

Jul 13, 2003, 3:03:50 PM7/13/03

> its called consolidating republican big business/Rich power, baby!!!

Isn't it amazing that the gullible public voted these turds into power and
now they are being screwed by them and they don't even get it? So much for
"less government". So much for "no nation building", etc.

Roger R.

Jul 13, 2003, 5:55:37 PM7/13/03

"n/a" <NoEmailBec...@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
Actually, Tom delay is the guy who brought in several million dollars of
corporate soft money and targeted 42 Democratic Texas legislators. That is
the reason why the House went Republican in the first place. Since the
Republicans are quite beholden to him, he can pass any legislation he wants
in the Republican-run House of Representatives.

Tom Delay really is the guy who started this mess.

RR

Bill Walker

Jul 13, 2003, 6:01:29 PM7/13/03

"Roger R." <jayrayn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Actually, Tom delay is the guy who brought in several million dollars of
> corporate soft money and targeted 42 Democratic Texas legislators. That is
> the reason why the House went Republican in the first place. Since the
> Republicans are quite beholden to him, he can pass any legislation he
wants
> in the Republican-run House of Representatives.
>
> Tom Delay really is the guy who started this mess.

Exactly what I have been saying and pointing out to voters across this state
for several weeks now.. Thanks for the input and support of my contention..

Bill Walker
Irving, Tx..

> RR

Rob Jones

Jul 13, 2003, 8:58:02 PM7/13/03
they're too plugged into the matrix, I mean Television. if they aren't at
work, they're plugged in. and if they went to a public high school(with a
few exceptions) then they don't have the ability to think critically. some
of them will wake up eventually. can't have a healthy representative
government without a literate, thinking, voting population. the criminals
in our congress and the Whitehouse do the things they do because they CAN.

--rj

Rob Jones

Jul 13, 2003, 9:00:52 PM7/13/03
and just remember, folks. you can hate the government but you must remember
WHO controls the government ---big business and the Rich. it ain't "the
people"

--rj take the red pill.

"Bill Walker" <bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message

D&S

Jul 13, 2003, 9:52:09 PM7/13/03
"Bill Walker" <bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Texas went Republican at the grassroots level years ago (look at
Presidential elections results, polls, etc.) - it's only been Democrats'
gerrymandering that has kept them in any semblance of power. The mandated
review of the districts was halted in 2000 (against the due procedure) by
the Democrats, and they tried to block its revisiting by the branch of
government Constitutionally chosen to do so by more such means. And yet,
DeLay is your straw man for pushing that the Constitutionally mandated
method be followed for the first time since the Democrats were forced out of
power by their poor election results. There was no hubbub for the last 50
yars when Dems were pushing districts around like Play-Doh, only
now.....uh-huh, whatever.

"Freedom" does not mean "free of charge".

n/a

Jul 13, 2003, 10:55:40 PM7/13/03

> they're too plugged into the matrix, I mean Television. if they aren't at
> work, they're plugged in. and if they went to a public high school(with a
> few exceptions) then they don't have the ability to think critically. some
> of them will wake up eventually. can't have a healthy representative
> government without a literate, thinking, voting population. the criminals
> in our congress and the Whitehouse do the things they do because they CAN.

How bad is it going to get before people have had enough?

Bill Walker

Jul 13, 2003, 11:33:05 PM7/13/03

"D&S" <dwilliam...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the history lesson.. You might oughtta get out more.. This one
looks ripe to come back and haunt the republicans by the time it is
finished.. Ain't no game being played here, sonny.. You are lookin' at some
serious "in your face politics".. That is the response to the heavy handed
strategy used by Bush republican stooge, Tom DeLay.. Backfiring to beat all
get out...

Bill Walker
Irving, Tx..

Bill Walker

Jul 13, 2003, 11:35:21 PM7/13/03

> "Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message
> > they're too plugged into the matrix, I mean Television. if they aren't
at
> > work, they're plugged in. and if they went to a public high school(with
> > few exceptions) then they don't have the ability to think critically.
some
> > of them will wake up eventually. can't have a healthy representative
> > government without a literate, thinking, voting population. the
criminals
> > in our congress and the Whitehouse do the things they do because they
CAN.

> How bad is it going to get before people have had enough?

Looks like they finally crossed the line with this re-districting strategy..
I believe it has backfired and people are beginning to fight back.. It is
about time..

Bill Walker
Irving, Tx...

William R. Cowan

Jul 13, 2003, 11:39:40 PM7/13/03

n/a wrote:
> "Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>they're too plugged into the matrix, I mean Television. if they aren't at
>>work, they're plugged in. and if they went to a public high school(with a
>>few exceptions) then they don't have the ability to think critically. some
>>of them will wake up eventually. can't have a healthy representative
>>government without a literate, thinking, voting population. the criminals
>>in our congress and the Whitehouse do the things they do because they CAN.
>

> How bad is it going to get before people have had enough?

The poeple already had enough and started to kick out the democrats back
in 1992 and continuied the good work in 2002. Now it time get rid of
the rest the lot who have scammed the public for decades.

MRC

William R. Cowan

Jul 13, 2003, 11:44:22 PM7/13/03

n/a wrote:
> "Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>its called consolidating republican big business/Rich power, baby!!!
>

> Isn't it amazing that the gullible public voted these turds into power and
> now they are being screwed by them and they don't even get it? So much for
> "less government". So much for "no nation building", etc.

Where are we Nation Building? We took out the terrorist govt. of
Afganistan and Iraq and in the process of restoring order.

Nation Building is what we did in Yugoslavia. We had no interest there.
Hattii another failed example.. T

he circumstances have changed since 9-11. Do you propose knocking out
the terror governments and then leaving allowing the power vaccum to form?

MRC

Neal Atkins

Jul 13, 2003, 11:43:09 PM7/13/03
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:33:05 GMT, "Bill Walker"
<bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the history lesson..

Someone needs to educate you. Just reading those propaganda sheets
from DNC HQ all the time will rot your mind.

>You might oughtta get out more.. This one
>looks ripe to come back and haunt the republicans by the time it is
>finished.. Ain't no game being played here, sonny.. You are lookin' at some
>serious "in your face politics".. That is the response to the heavy handed
>strategy used by Bush republican stooge, Tom DeLay.. Backfiring to beat all
>get out...

Yah, in your mind, demostooge. The ones running scared (still) are
the chik-n-D's that defected to Oklahoma. This special session and
all the costs are THEIR FAULT. Some of them are in protected
districts, but hopefully we can run 12 of them off and elect
Republicans. Then next session they can ALL go to Oklahoma or Cuba or
whatever and STAY THERE.

mh

Jul 13, 2003, 11:48:18 PM7/13/03
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:44:22 -0500, "William R. Cowan"
<wrco...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

>n/a wrote:
>> "Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>its called consolidating republican big business/Rich power, baby!!!
>>

>> Isn't it amazing that the gullible public voted these turds into power and
>> now they are being screwed by them and they don't even get it? So much for
>> "less government". So much for "no nation building", etc.
>>

>Where are we Nation Building? We took out the terrorist govt. of
>Afganistan and Iraq and in the process of restoring order.
>
>Nation Building is what we did in Yugoslavia. We had no interest there.
> Hattii another failed example.. T

Yeah, terrorists don't breed in areas of anarchy and repression, do
they?

Or maybe by "no interests there" you mean "no oil there."

>he circumstances have changed since 9-11. Do you propose knocking out
>the terror governments and then leaving allowing the power vaccum to form?

Hey dunderhead ... the liberals are all about nation building. The
liberal candidate in the last election said it was a "good thing."
Your boy said he wouldn't do it.

>MRC

mh

Jul 13, 2003, 11:49:29 PM7/13/03

Right. The people in the heavily Republican districts out west hate
Democrats so much, they keep sending Charlie Stenholm back to
congress.

William R. Cowan

Jul 13, 2003, 11:51:17 PM7/13/03

Bill Walker wrote:

Gee, you must have been asleep during 2001. The Dems controlled the
House. There was no agreement. They could have stayed in session all
year and there would have been no progress. The State Govt. did not
redistrict. Federal judges did based upon the gerrymandering of Martin
Frost and et. al. in 1991. You say that the plan was accepted by the
people. When did the people vote on this plan? When did the
Legislature vote on this plan? To give you a hint, they never did!

> The second question is why this is such an important issue during this time,
> since the majority party is controlling the state house, the house of
> representatives and the senate.. Could the influence from the nation's
> capitol in the form of Tom DeLay, have something to do with this priority??
>
> Bill Walker
> Irving, Tx..

It has to do with the fact that the Republicans have a better chance to
get a redistricting plan of any sort passed than in the previous
session. And even if Tom DeLay did have something to do with it, so
what! Martin Frost was hip deep in it in 1991 and was involved in this
round in 2003. The Legislature was not keen on taking up the isssue
with the situation of the budget looming. Now that is fixed the issue
of redistricting can proceed.

MRC

ScottC...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2003, 11:52:26 PM7/13/03
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:55:40 GMT, "n/a"
<NoEmailBec...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>"Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message
>> they're too plugged into the matrix, I mean Television. if they aren't at
>> work, they're plugged in. and if they went to a public high school(with a
>> few exceptions) then they don't have the ability to think critically. some
>> of them will wake up eventually. can't have a healthy representative
>> government without a literate, thinking, voting population. the criminals
>> in our congress and the Whitehouse do the things they do because they CAN.
>

>How bad is it going to get before people have had enough?

Didn't America have a Revolution when British colonial taxes were only
3%, an unconscionably high level? LOL. A short rope with a few
twists in it over a tall tree would do wonders to reform DC.

Roger R.

Jul 14, 2003, 11:31:51 AM7/14/03

"Bill Walker" <bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message
I'm not sure Tom Delay is a stooge.

He was the single most important person in Congress forcing the Impeachment
of Clinton. He is one of the most powerful fundraisers in the Republican
Party, if not the single most powerful one. Most of what has come out of
Congress that is destructive to America has his fingerprints all over it. He
is probably the most powerful single politician in Texas today, and
certainly in the top ten in the US today.

RR

Bill Walker

Jul 14, 2003, 12:49:14 PM7/14/03

> "Bill Walker" <bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "D&S" <dwilliam...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > "Bill Walker" <bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I'm not sure Tom Delay is a stooge.
>
> He was the single most important person in Congress forcing the
Impeachment
> of Clinton. He is one of the most powerful fundraisers in the Republican
> Party, if not the single most powerful one. Most of what has come out of
> Congress that is destructive to America has his fingerprints all over it.
He
> is probably the most powerful single politician in Texas today, and
> certainly in the top ten in the US today.

I never said he wasn't without power.. He is also desperate to secure his
and Bush's re-election.. In the face of the now existent records of these
two, both are shaky .. Faced with the prospect of almost 3 million votes
against Bush in the upcoming election, and after losing the popular vote by
500,000 in 2000, Rove has determined that without another fiasco like
Florida, there is a probability that 2004 will be a disaster for their
party.. I believe they are correct.. I also believe, that was the intent of
Tom DeLay when he brought his map and proposal for this re-districting plan
to Texas.. The turnout at the re-districting meetings in opposition to that
plan is the most persuasive evidence to indicate intense opposition to Bush,
Perry, and DeLay.. Stay tuned for the future developments..

Roger R.

Jul 14, 2003, 3:40:38 PM7/14/03

"Bill Walker" <bill.w...@verizon.net> wrote in message

OK. I under stand the term "stooge" to mean the puppet of someone else or
perhaps a 'Patsy' for someone else. In Tom Delay's case, I don't think that
is accurate. I think that Delay is himself the center of power, and allies
himself with other Republicans such as Rove.

I agree with you about the desperation, though. Not just for the reelection
of Bush in 2004, but also the further control the conservatives currently
have on this nation. The 2000 election was extremely close, and Bush was
able to leverage the rural conservative parts of the nation into an
electoral college victory, but the fact is that this nation is becoming more
urban. Already New York and California are pretty thoroughly in the
Democratic camp. Illinois is split internally between its northern urban
part and the southern agricultural part. Only Texas and Florida, from the
previously rural South, are large states that tend to vote Republican, and
even Florida seems to be a swing state. The urban growth of Texas will
replace the recent history of rural control, as will the fact that the
suburbs are now facing the same problems the inner cities were previously.
In the long run, this cuts the legs out from under the conservatives who
currently control the politics. I see this as the source of their
desperation.

The conservatives have been able to use discipline to make the best of a
smaller group of voters against the rather fractious Democrats throughout
the US. They are now trying to institutionalize that voting power by using
every possible arm of the government to create more Republican Congressmen.
But things are falling apart around them. The only thing that has gone their
way since Bush took office has been the attack on 9/11, and they refuse to
release the report on what the government did prior to 9/11 that might have
prevented it.

As you say, stay tuned for future developments. The adults are coming soon.

RR

Rob Jones

Jul 14, 2003, 8:16:34 PM7/14/03
that's right. we've got the best congress money can buy.

--rj take the red pill.

Rob Jones

Jul 14, 2003, 8:18:28 PM7/14/03
yea, and only the republicans are stupid enough to send the POLICE after
them. sounds like a coup, huh?
that was a doozie.

--rj take the red pill.

"Neal Atkins" <nat...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Rob Jones

Jul 14, 2003, 8:20:50 PM7/14/03
they're all puppets, big business and the rich tell them to shit and they
reply, "hard turd, or soft stool?"

--rj

"Roger R." <jayrayn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Rob Jones

Jul 14, 2003, 8:21:52 PM7/14/03
the answer,my friend, is blowing in the wind......

--rj

Rob Jones

Jul 14, 2003, 8:24:59 PM7/14/03
yes, the democrats are crooked, but the republicans are MORE crooked. you
must pick the lesser of two evils. we need a third party.
both a democrat and a republican politician will steal a hot stove, except a
republican will wear gloves. (:

--rj

"William R. Cowan" <wrco...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

Rob Jones

Jul 14, 2003, 8:28:11 PM7/14/03
the REAL power is in the people's hands. but if the people are too
apathetic, working too much overtime, plugged into the Matrix, I mean TV,
too rapped up in weapons of mass DISTRACTION, then nothing will change. in
fact, things will probably get worse over time. Big business and the Rich
know they have this country by the balls. and they love every second of it.

--rj take the red pill.

<ScottC...@aol.com> wrote in message

Rob Jones

Jul 14, 2003, 8:33:14 PM7/14/03
I do know this fact. 19 idiots from Saudi Arabia are not going to run my
life with fear,etc. this is a nation of almost 300 million. give me a break.
a few hundred or thousand terrorists make this country piss her pants?
that's sad. what ever happened the the home of the Free and the land of the
BRAVE. I don't call getting a cavity search at an airport FREEDOM. there
are alot of turd politicians who don't mind using this fear of terrorists
for their own agendas. that's for sure.

---fuck you, terrorists. (and the mule you rode in on)

"William R. Cowan" <wrco...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

Mike Smith

Jul 14, 2003, 9:40:20 PM7/14/03
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:33:14 -0500, "Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com>
wrote:

>I do know this fact. 19 idiots from Saudi Arabia are not going to run my
>life with fear,etc. this is a nation of almost 300 million. give me a break.
>a few hundred or thousand terrorists make this country piss her pants?
>that's sad. what ever happened the the home of the Free and the land of the
>BRAVE. I don't call getting a cavity search at an airport FREEDOM. there
>are alot of turd politicians who don't mind using this fear of terrorists
>for their own agendas. that's for sure.
>
>---fuck you, terrorists. (and the mule you rode in on)

What the hell??!!??.........

Rob's posting something that resembles a rational thought?
How did that happen? Who knew........

You have stumbled onto the only restriction of our freedoms that has
occurred since 9-11. There's nothing restrictive for US citizens in
the Patriot Act, one or two, there's nothing Ashcroft is doing, its
all in the Transportation Security Administration. That's why I hate
to fly, now.

Being a smartassed Texan, I'm subject to demand a search warrant, per
my 4th amendment rights........ Of course, I won't be flying that day,
if I make my demand..........

Mike Smith
From http://imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm
Now, if I were president, here's what I would do.
Next time some country does something we don't
take a pining too, such as supporting terrorism
or speaking French, I'd pick the dumbest reason
for an attack, e.g., "A 'q' should always be followed
by a 'u'. I don't make the rules, Iraq, but I will
enforce them." The more irrational you look,
the more scared the country will be that you will
really hit them hard. I'd then give the country
the old one-week notice until bombing starts.
Then, after just twenty-four hours, I'd start bombing.
When the stupid dictator calls to complain,
I'd say, "I meant one week max. Oh, and by the way,
ground troops - one week." I'm sure that would be
enough to capitulate the average evildoer, but some
extra measures could help intimidate others as well.
Like, instead of just saturation bombing a city,
super-saturation bomb it. After annihilating everything
until nothing but ash is left, I'd nuke the ashes.
It's that extra bit of extremely disproportionate use
of force that makes other countries start to wonder
if America "has it all together" and really worrying
who we'll lash out against next.

William R. Cowan

Jul 14, 2003, 10:56:49 PM7/14/03
You know, I think you have a great IDEA!!

MRC

William R. Cowan

Jul 14, 2003, 11:15:42 PM7/14/03

Rob Jones wrote:

> the REAL power is in the people's hands. but if the people are too
> apathetic, working too much overtime, plugged into the Matrix, I mean TV,
> too rapped up in weapons of mass DISTRACTION, then nothing will change. in
> fact, things will probably get worse over time. Big business and the Rich
> know they have this country by the balls. and they love every second of it.
>
> --rj take the red pill.

Rob, you do have an interesting point about "The Matrix". It is not due
to WMD, it is all about hype. Look at the 24/7 coverage of Laci
Peterson and Chandra Levy (God rest their souls)and the popluarity of
tabloids. People are more concerned over Britiney Spears or who is
dating who that the issues that do matter. But Rob it is not Big
Busniess or the Rich who have the country in their grips. It is much
bigger than that. It is all of the special interest groups. It is the
politicians who want to do nothing but make a name for themselves. What
we need are statesman who truly want to represent the people.

But Rob that is not the true crux of the problem. True source of the
problem is that people do not take their citizenship seriously. We
allow almost anyone in. The become citizens with very little
understanding of what it means to be a citizen. As a result they do not
take their most precious right of voting seriously. This has lead to
what you aluded to in your post.

Also forget the pill business. That is also a problem that the people
have. They think there is a pill to cure anything.

MRC

P.S. I know what you are refering to concerning the "red pill"!!

William R. Cowan

Jul 14, 2003, 11:26:00 PM7/14/03
I understand your sentiments. It is not the number of terrorist there
are that is the major concern but what they may get their hands on and
what they will do. AS you point out it was 19 who attacked. They took
out 3000+ people. What would have happened if the attack occured later
in the day? How many poeple would have died? What if just a few of the
would have gotten their hands on some chemical agents of heaven forbid
a nuclear/radioactive device?

As far as the cavity search goes, I have never had one at the airport
and none of the people I know who fly extensively have had one either.

I understand your concerns. But the key word here is vigilance.
Vigilance by the government to protect us and vigilance by use to make
sure the Govt. does not abuse us!

MRC

William R. Cowan

Jul 14, 2003, 11:28:16 PM7/14/03
Actually the best thing would for the Speaker to have as the good
citizens to form posses and forcably bring them back across the red
river to Austin.

MRC

John R. Strohm

Jul 15, 2003, 1:28:11 AM7/15/03

If memory serves me, when the Killer Bees pulled this stunt back in the
'70s, the (Democrat!) Speaker of the House did send the police out looking
for them.

The Killer Bees didn't bug out to Oklahoma, however. They stayed in town,
hid out in someone's garage, and (from an UNRELIABLE source) had one hell of
a poker game.

"Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message

Brian Hoffmann

Jul 15, 2003, 7:49:10 AM7/15/03
> You have stumbled onto the only restriction of our freedoms that has
> occurred since 9-11. There's nothing restrictive for US citizens in
> the Patriot Act, one or two, there's nothing Ashcroft is doing, its
> all in the Transportation Security Administration. That's why I hate
> to fly, now.

Are you serious?

I flew back from Oregon last Sat.(international airport) I was not prodded,
poked, did not have a body cavity search done
Hell, I did not even have to take off my sandals, it took all of about 3
minutes to get through
security. I did have to remove my laptop from it's bag and have my carryon
X-rayed, that's it
No different than before 9-11
When I left Austin it was an even shorter wait, and I did remove my shoes
(sandals), big deal.

You people who complain about airport searches are just a bunch of whiners
who don't want to
take a few extra minutes for safety sake. You would rather show up 5 minutes
before your flight
and then bitch about how long it takes to get through security. (I
personally witnessed this several times)
To think you are having your rights violated in some way is just ludicrous.
It's all a bunch of whining, nothing more, nothing less.

Roger R.

Jul 15, 2003, 9:07:30 AM7/15/03

> Actually the best thing would for the Speaker to have as the good
> citizens to form posses and forcably bring them back across the red
> river to Austin.
>
> MRC

Encouraging kidnapping now, are you? That would be a crime in Oklahoma, and
getting the accross the Red River would make it a federal crime.

RR

mh

Jul 15, 2003, 10:01:46 AM7/15/03
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:49:10 -0500, "Brian Hoffmann" <nas...@io.com>
wrote:

>You people who complain about airport searches are just a bunch of whiners
>who don't want to
>take a few extra minutes for safety sake. You would rather show up 5 minutes
>before your flight
>and then bitch about how long it takes to get through security. (I
>personally witnessed this several times)
>To think you are having your rights violated in some way is just ludicrous.
>It's all a bunch of whining, nothing more, nothing less.

If Mike Smith didn't whine about having to pass a security checkpoint
when he flies, then he'd have one less way to rationalize his support
for the socialist boondoggle known as Amtrak.

Rob Jones

Jul 15, 2003, 1:54:52 PM7/15/03
yea, that's clever. then you can arrest the millions of constituents that
these congressmen represent. then, you can have a civil war. awesome, huh?

--take the red pill.

Rob Jones

Jul 15, 2003, 1:57:05 PM7/15/03
you have some valid points.

--rj

"William R. Cowan" <wrco...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message

Mike Smith

Jul 15, 2003, 8:42:02 PM7/15/03
wrote:

>> You have stumbled onto the only restriction of our freedoms that has

Bullshit. I arrived an hour and a half before flight time.

What makes you think the feds have the right to search my personal
belongings without probable cause or a search warrant?

Pants, shirts, socks, underwear, and dirty socks are not on the list
of items not allowed on a plane, therefore they have no reason to
search through them.

My HPA tank is something they need to inspect. That's why I had it on
top of all my stuff. Unzip the luggage, and there it is, easily
viewable, with the pressure gauge up and easy to read.

They don't stop there. They proceeded to unpack my carefully packed
suitcase, all the while, wasting countless round patches that they
keep feeding to a machine to see if there is any "residue" on my
clothing. When they have trouble repacking everything, I start to
help. At that point in time, they tell me I cannot touch my stuff,
once they get control of it. Oh yea? I ignored them and repacked my
bag, so everything would fit. They said nothing about my ignoring
their comment.

After that invasion, I went through the control gate. They had me
remove my shoes and unbuckle my belt, and then they slowly wanded me.
Why? I do not fit any type of criminal profile. There is absolutely no
reason to inspect my stuff. There is absolutely no reason to request
my removal of my shoes and belt buckle.

They did the same thing to a late 50 something woman.

It's stupidity on the Transportation Security Administration's part.
We will never have another highjacking like we had on 9-11-2001. That
dog won't hunt any more......... And it's a clear invasion and
degradation of our rights

Bill Walker

Jul 15, 2003, 9:01:44 PM7/15/03

"Mike Smith" <m...@wt.net> wrote in message

John Ashcroft says they have that right.. "Patriot's Act"..

> Pants, shirts, socks, underwear, and dirty socks are not on the list
> of items not allowed on a plane, therefore they have no reason to
> search through them.

Same reason as above.. Your luggage may be a BOMB..

> My HPA tank is something they need to inspect. That's why I had it on
> top of all my stuff. Unzip the luggage, and there it is, easily
> viewable, with the pressure gauge up and easy to read.
>
> They don't stop there. They proceeded to unpack my carefully packed
> suitcase, all the while, wasting countless round patches that they
> keep feeding to a machine to see if there is any "residue" on my
> clothing. When they have trouble repacking everything, I start to
> help. At that point in time, they tell me I cannot touch my stuff,
> once they get control of it. Oh yea? I ignored them and repacked my
> bag, so everything would fit. They said nothing about my ignoring
> their comment.

Relax.. they know that they have met their match.. Besides, you probably
scared them .. Sounds like you really made a statement..

> After that invasion, I went through the control gate. They had me
> remove my shoes and unbuckle my belt, and then they slowly wanded me.

Better to be safe.. right ?

> Why? I do not fit any type of criminal profile. There is absolutely no
> reason to inspect my stuff. There is absolutely no reason to request
> my removal of my shoes and belt buckle.

Again.. I refer you to John Ashcroft's "Patriot Act"

> They did the same thing to a late 50 something woman.

Maybe they wanted to disarm her from her nail clippers, fingernail files or
other dangerous weapons which such a desperate appearing creature might be
smuggling on an airpland..

> It's stupidity on the Transportation Security Administration's part.

Oh NO NO.. NEVER.. Not stupidity.. Mike.. This administration would never
be a party to any of that nonsense..

> We will never have another highjacking like we had on 9-11-2001. That
> dog won't hunt any more......... And it's a clear invasion and
> degradation of our rights

ROTFLMAO... Damn, Mike.. who would ever have thought it.. Quit bitchin'
Mike.. you got what you been hollerin' about and voted for.. Grin and bear
it with all of us that you have been bad mouthin'..

Bill Walker
Irving, Tx.

mh

Jul 15, 2003, 9:12:10 PM7/15/03
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:42:02 -0500, Mike Smith <m...@wt.net> wrote:

>Bullshit. I arrived an hour and a half before flight time.
>
>What makes you think the feds have the right to search my personal
>belongings without probable cause or a search warrant?

The Patriot Act, among other things, which you've said yourself isn't
something we should be concerned with. Why can't you just be a good
Republican tool and go along with what Dear Leader wants?

>Pants, shirts, socks, underwear, and dirty socks are not on the list
>of items not allowed on a plane, therefore they have no reason to
>search through them.

Ahh, but what have you hidden amongst your pants, shirts, socks,
underwear and other nasty things? An Exacto knife? A garrotte? Parts
for another weapon? Explosives? Illegal drugs?

>My HPA tank is something they need to inspect. That's why I had it on
>top of all my stuff. Unzip the luggage, and there it is, easily
>viewable, with the pressure gauge up and easy to read.
>
>They don't stop there. They proceeded to unpack my carefully packed
>suitcase, all the while, wasting countless round patches that they
>keep feeding to a machine to see if there is any "residue" on my
>clothing. When they have trouble repacking everything, I start to
>help. At that point in time, they tell me I cannot touch my stuff,
>once they get control of it. Oh yea? I ignored them and repacked my
>bag, so everything would fit. They said nothing about my ignoring
>their comment.

Hmm. Sounds like you got lucky that day.

>After that invasion, I went through the control gate. They had me
>remove my shoes and unbuckle my belt, and then they slowly wanded me.
>Why? I do not fit any type of criminal profile.

Neither did Tim McVeigh or Terry Nichols; Eric Rudolph wouldn't look
like a criminal/terrorist on sight.

And yet, there they are ...

> There is absolutely no
>reason to inspect my stuff. There is absolutely no reason to request
>my removal of my shoes and belt buckle.

Well, the shoe rule has been altered. Now you only have to take them
off when you set off the metal detector. And you can hide all sorts of
nasty things in shoes and behind belt buckles. Richard Reed (sp?) is a
fine example.

>They did the same thing to a late 50 something woman.
>
>It's stupidity on the Transportation Security Administration's part.
>We will never have another highjacking like we had on 9-11-2001.

Never say never, Mike.

> That
>dog won't hunt any more......... And it's a clear invasion and
>degradation of our rights

Well, it's a system designed and supported by the party *you* support
so vociferously. Why don't you run along and voice your concerns to
your congressman. I'm sure they'll be very interested in what you have
to say.

Jim Riley

Jul 16, 2003, 12:27:05 AM7/16/03
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:28:11 -0500, "John R. Strohm"
<str...@airmail.net> wrote:

>"Rob Jones" <RJo...@msn.com> wrote in message

>> yea, and only the republicans are stupid enough to send the POLICE after
>> them. sounds like a coup, huh?
>> that was a doozie.

The comparable rule in California directs that the state police or any
sheriff arrest the scallawags. In Oregon it is a $1000/day for an
unexcused absence to break a quorum.

>If memory serves me, when the Killer Bees pulled this stunt back in the
>'70s, the (Democrat!) Speaker of the House did send the police out looking
>for them.

That was the Senate, and it was Lt.Governor Hobby. They were trying
to block highly discerning intelligent ticket splitters from voting in
the Republican presidential primary for John Connally and voting for
Democrat Representatives.

--
Jim Riley

Roger R.

Jul 16, 2003, 1:23:04 AM7/16/03

> you have some valid points.
>
> --rj
>

> "William R. Cowan" <wrco...@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
> >

> > But Rob that is not the true crux of the problem. True source of the
> > problem is that people do not take their citizenship seriously. We
> > allow almost anyone in. The become citizens with very little
> > understanding of what it means to be a citizen. As a result they do not
> > take their most precious right of voting seriously. This has lead to
> > what you aluded to in your post.

I know several new citizens - it is my opinion that if the people who were
born here took their citizenship as seriously, then you would have no
complaints. These are people who chose to become citizens and worked pretty
hard to get it. They are proud of the accomplishment and of this nation.

I find that when I try to get cynical and apathetic, they straighten me out
rather quickly.

I think you need to find another solution to the problem. It is the native
born citizens who don't vote regularly.

RR

Brian Hoffmann

Jul 16, 2003, 7:43:23 AM7/16/03

> It's stupidity on the Transportation Security Administration's part.
> We will never have another highjacking like we had on 9-11-2001. That
> dog won't hunt any more......... And it's a clear invasion and
> degradation of our rights
>
> Mike Smith

And how may I ask do you know this?

Bill Walker

Jul 16, 2003, 8:46:44 AM7/16/03

"Brian Hoffmann" <nas...@io.com> wrote in message

Seems to me that he knows this because his "ox finally is gored".. For
months, Mike Smith has yelled and screamed about those "whining" democrats..
He has called many of us all the degrading names he could dredge up.. His
ideas, similar to yours has been that anything this administration does is
right.. Now, after some first hand experience, seems that his attitude is
different.. Maybe, it is that "as long as they aren't doing it to me, it is
OK".. Guess what, if they can do it to one, they can do it to all.. Long as
it doesn't affect me, I support whatever you do to someone else.. LOL.. What
goes around, comes around.. Think the airport experience is bad, wait until
some of the other little goodies disguised as "keeping you safe" begins to
affect you.. How do I know this.. Been there, bought the t-shirt, done
that..

Bill Walker
Irving, Tx..

Mike Smith

Jul 16, 2003, 7:12:22 PM7/16/03
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:43:23 -0500, "Brian Hoffmann" <nas...@io.com>
wrote:

Know what?
The stupidity on the Transportation Security Administration's part?

Or we will never have another hijacking like 9-11?

Or the clear invasion of my rights and my property rights?

Or did you mean all three items?

William R. Cowan

Jul 16, 2003, 11:05:42 PM7/16/03

It is both that are a cause of the problem. Natural born and
immigrated. That was my implication but was not spelled out clearly. I
do appreciate your doing so. I do not mean to dump on all imigrants. I
know many who do take their duties as citizens very seriously. The
question that could be posed now "With the informations provided in this
discussion, what are some answers?"

MRC