Why Capital Metro Sucks, 8/19/99

Mike Dahmus

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
We just blew the ozone requirements, and Capital Metro's plan to assist the
area calls for:

an election in November of 2000 to decide what they're going to do, if
anything.

Mike Dahmus mdahmus at I O DOT COM
http://www.io.com/~mdahmus/
"No one likes a pedantic smartarse..."

Highlander

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
In article <37bc0c7...@news.io.com>, mdahNO_%_SPAMmus@iNO_%_SPAMo.com
(Mike Dahmus) wrote:

> We just blew the ozone requirements, and Capital Metro's plan to assist the
> area calls for:
>
> an election in November of 2000 to decide what they're going to do, if
> anything.

Whichever way the vote goes the result will be to waste more money.

James

Mike Dahmus

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99

Yup. Lets use the money to build more highways instead - like Atlanta, which
successfully built its way out of congestion and air-quality problems!

------

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Mike Dahmus wrote:

> Yup. Lets use the money to build more highways instead - like Atlanta, which
> successfully built its way out of congestion and air-quality problems!

I think Houston and LA did this too. By adding 10 lanes, they've reduced
the commute by 12 seconds. It was well worth the $5 million/mile expense.
Pollution increased but, hey, you can't have everything.

--jon

Highlander

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
In article <37bc301b...@news.io.com>,
mdahNO_%_SPAMmus@iNO_%_SPAMo.com (Mike Dahmus) wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:42:37 +0100, +++jvpan...@alumni.utexas.net
> (Highlander) hired an infinite number of monkeys to write:
>
> >In article <37bc0c7...@news.io.com>, mdahNO_%_SPAMmus@iNO_%_SPAMo.com
> >(Mike Dahmus) wrote:
> >
> >> We just blew the ozone requirements, and Capital Metro's plan to assist the
> >> area calls for:
> >>
> >> an election in November of 2000 to decide what they're going to do, if
> >> anything.
> >
> >Whichever way the vote goes the result will be to waste more money.
>

> Yup. Lets use the money to build more highways instead - like Atlanta, which
> successfully built its way out of congestion and air-quality problems!

San Antonio has more people (more cars), more highways, and less traffic
problems (less travel time). Their pollution problems dont seem to be as
bad as they are here.

James

Mike Dahmus

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:27:27 +0100, +++jvpan...@alumni.utexas.net
(Highlander) hired an infinite number of monkeys to write:

>San Antonio has more people (more cars), more highways, and less traffic
>problems (less travel time). Their pollution problems dont seem to be as
>bad as they are here.

San Antonio is in basically the same boat we were in as far as air quality
("in serious danger", will probably fall over the cliff this year or next),
and their city is already far uglier. "Houston Lite", IMO.

If you want to live in a city where highways are the only thing being built,
you have many alternatives where the environment has _already_ been destroyed
in order to do it.

Highlander

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
In article <37bd6ae6...@news.io.com>,
mdahNO_%_SPAMmus@iNO_%_SPAMo.com (Mike Dahmus) wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:27:27 +0100, +++jvpan...@alumni.utexas.net
> (Highlander) hired an infinite number of monkeys to write:
>
> >San Antonio has more people (more cars), more highways, and less traffic
> >problems (less travel time). Their pollution problems dont seem to be as
> >bad as they are here.
>
> San Antonio is in basically the same boat we were in as far as air quality
> ("in serious danger", will probably fall over the cliff this year or next),
> and their city is already far uglier. "Houston Lite", IMO.
>
> If you want to live in a city where highways are the only thing being built,
> you have many alternatives where the environment has _already_ been destroyed
> in order to do it.

They still have less traffic and less problems than Austin.

I never said mass transit is a waste of money. I just said that Capital
Metro is a waste of money.

Everyday I curse the farmers who blocked a high speed train from San
Antonio to Dallas.

James

Mike Dahmus

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:05:47 +0100, +++jvpan...@alumni.utexas.net

(Highlander) hired an infinite number of monkeys to write:

>In article <37bd6ae6...@news.io.com>,
>mdahNO_%_SPAMmus@iNO_%_SPAMo.com (Mike Dahmus) wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:27:27 +0100, +++jvpan...@alumni.utexas.net
>> (Highlander) hired an infinite number of monkeys to write:
>>
>> >San Antonio has more people (more cars), more highways, and less traffic
>> >problems (less travel time). Their pollution problems dont seem to be as
>> >bad as they are here.
>>
>> San Antonio is in basically the same boat we were in as far as air quality
>> ("in serious danger", will probably fall over the cliff this year or next),
>> and their city is already far uglier. "Houston Lite", IMO.
>>
>> If you want to live in a city where highways are the only thing being built,
>> you have many alternatives where the environment has _already_ been destroyed
>> in order to do it.
>

>They still have less traffic and less problems than Austin.
>
>I never said mass transit is a waste of money. I just said that Capital
>Metro is a waste of money.

Sorry. I jumped to the incorrect conclusion. Obviously to a certain extent I
agree about the current state of Capital Metro.

Albert Nurick

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
Mike Dahmus <mdahNO_%_SPAMmus@iNO_%_SPAMo.com> wrote in message news:37bd6ae6...@news.io.com...

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:27:27 +0100, +++jvpan...@alumni.utexas.net
> (Highlander) hired an infinite number of monkeys to write:
>
> >San Antonio has more people (more cars), more highways, and less traffic
> >problems (less travel time). Their pollution problems dont seem to be as
> >bad as they are here.

IMO, it's because they've not grown as fast as Austin, and thus their
infrastructure isn't as far behind as ours is.

> San Antonio is in basically the same boat we were in as far as air quality
> ("in serious danger", will probably fall over the cliff this year or next),
> and their city is already far uglier. "Houston Lite", IMO.

San Antonio has never had the natural beauty of Austin; I remember going there
as a kid in the late 60's, and thinking it was really ugly, except for the
then-new Tower of the Americas.

> If you want to live in a city where highways are the only thing being built,
> you have many alternatives where the environment has _already_ been destroyed
> in order to do it.

I don't think you've gotta destroy the environment to have an adequate road
system. But that's just my opinion, of course.

--
Albert Nurick
alb...@nurick.com

JAscherMAN

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
>From: mdahNO_%_SPAMmus@iNO_%_SPAMo.com (Mike Dahmus)
>Date: Thu, 19 August 1999 09:54 AM EDT

>We just blew the ozone requirements, and Capital Metro's plan to assist the
>area calls for:
>
>an election in November of 2000 to decide what they're going to do, if
>anything.

The problem is we spent too much effort lambasting Capital Metro, which
deserved a large amount of criticism in many regards, but did nothing to find
alternatives to cap metro for mass transit like opening that market to private
enterprise.

James "Behold I have come again"

elba3

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
Atlanta? less congestion??? Are u insane, have u been there lately, Its
worse that Houston, the smog is so bad that u can taste it in the air! They
have a few new lanes on the interstate but the smog is very very nasty, they
have more ozone warnings than LA i think. And the traffic is Hell also, on
every major road, not to mention the crime.

hust...@webtv.net

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
that because san antonio doesnt have any treehuggers and feminazis
trying to tell everyone where to live.

hust...@webtv.net

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99

JAscherMAN

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
>From: hust...@webtv.net
>Date: Tue, 24 August 1999 07:00 AM EDT

>that because san antonio doesnt have any treehuggers and feminazis
>trying to tell everyone where to live.

So San Antonio has many water parks and is speadout far and wide with only a
single source of drinking water for a milion plus population. Something's
going to catch up to SA's unregulated growth. I hate to see what the disaster
will be in five to ten years unles SA can flex some politicakl muscle to
maintain it's reckless growth.

James "Behold I have come Again"

John

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
In article <19990824210648...@ng-ch1.aol.com>, jasch...@aol.com (JAscherMAN) babbled on and on:

Don't forget, while we scrimp and save water, S. Antonio steals and
prodigiously wastes the water from the Edwards Aquifer.
Remember that when those brain dead assholes at the city council ask you to
not water your lawns....they keep watering them in S.A. with OUR water.
-->john

Clayton Colwell

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
JAscherMAN (jasch...@aol.com) wrote:
: >From: hust...@webtv.net

: >that because san antonio doesnt have any treehuggers and feminazis

: >trying to tell everyone where to live.

: So San Antonio has many water parks and is speadout far and wide with only a
: single source of drinking water for a milion plus population. Something's
: going to catch up to SA's unregulated growth. I hate to see what the disaster
: will be in five to ten years unles SA can flex some politicakl muscle to
: maintain it's reckless growth.

Except that San Antonio is flexing political muscle to snag
water from everywhere else instead, like Austin lakes (remember
the proposed pipeline from Lake Travis?).

****** Clay Colwell (aka StealthTroll) ***** er...@bga.com ******
* "In the future, we will recognize software crashes as technologically *
* mandated ergonomic rest breaks - and we will pay extra for them." *
* -- Crazy Uncle Joe Hannibal *