Fry's Electronics

David Disko

Aug 3, 2001, 11:52:26 PM8/3/01
I called Fry's today to ask when they would be open. The person on the
phone stated that the store was ready but they were missing quite a bit of
stock and they were very low on sales help. He wanted to know if I or
anyone else wanted a career in the fabulous industry of retail sales. They
are targeting an opening date near the end of August.

Steve Wertz

Aug 4, 2001, 12:28:54 AM8/4/01

All the trash I've spitten out over Fry's the past 12 years, I oughta apply.

-sw

Steve Wertz

Aug 4, 2001, 12:46:58 AM8/4/01
Karen Kay wrote:
> But, but I need to upgrade now!:(

Upgrade what? There's plenty of stores to upgrade at just as cheaply already.
You don't need miles of shelves with horizons of endcaps.

-sw

Mapi

Aug 4, 2001, 1:38:56 AM8/4/01
Yah. Right. Work at Fry's.

"Hello sir, would you like fries to go with that hard drive thingy?"

mapi

"David Disko" <drd...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Steve Wertz

Aug 4, 2001, 1:49:23 AM8/4/01
Mapi wrote:

> Yah. Right. Work at Fry's.

You mean. 'Work. Period'. I guess your day is just too consumed
with other, more important thoughts.

-sw

StripDownHoe

Aug 4, 2001, 12:23:15 PM8/4/01
What number are you calling to contact Fry's? Can you post it please. I
called the Houston store and they didnt have a number. Then I called the
Arlington store and couldnt give a number saying it was until end of next month
it would open so there are no phone to have a number for.

Doug McLaren

Aug 4, 2001, 2:57:11 PM8/4/01
In article <20010804122315...@ng-ct1.aol.com>,
StripDownHoe <stripd...@aol.com> wrote:

It's in the phone book. Has been for a very long time.

--
Doug McLaren, dou...@frenzy.com
Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out.

Steve Wertz

Aug 4, 2001, 4:23:56 PM8/4/01
Karen Kay wrote:
> I thought you had a job.

$1,100 for two days work; I'm a 'Consultant' <laaa-dee-daa> waiting for
those 1099's to pour in next year so I can stick them up someones butt.

-sw

Steve Wertz

Aug 4, 2001, 4:25:50 PM8/4/01
Karen Kay wrote:

> Steve Wertz <swe...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > Karen Kay wrote:
> >> But, but I need to upgrade now!:(
>
> > Upgrade what? There's plenty of stores to upgrade at just as cheaply already.
> > You don't need miles of shelves with horizons of endcaps.
>
> My computer. I was hoping they'd had good store-opening specials.

I figured out that much. Everything I bought from Fry's died within 5months, though.
Everything from Microchip had lasted at least a year so far.... <knock on wood>

-sw

Dave Anderson

Aug 4, 2001, 5:22:25 PM8/4/01
"Steve Wertz" wrote:

> I figured out that much. Everything I bought from Fry's died within 5months, though.
> Everything from Microchip had lasted at least a year so far.... <knock on wood>

Fry's is my favorite Electronics store -- because it's so damned amusing.

http://www.best.com/~braith/frys.htm
http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys.html
http://frys.sthomas.net/

--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use of this email address
implies consent to these terms.

Mapi

Aug 4, 2001, 6:20:30 PM8/4/01
If you watch Compusa and BestBuys specials every sunday for a month,
and go that day, you can build your system really cheap just buying
specials
and getting the cheap stuff like floppies and such from a local used/new
parts store.

I waited for my HP9200 burner,my twin 30gig 7200 Ata100s and my video card
to go
on sale and saved a ton. Cheaper than the net.

HTH

mapi

"Karen Kay" <ka...@wordwrite.com> wrote in message

> Steve Wertz <swe...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > Karen Kay wrote:

> >> But, but I need to upgrade now!:(
>
> > Upgrade what? There's plenty of stores to upgrade at just as cheaply
already.
> > You don't need miles of shelves with horizons of endcaps.
>

> My computer. I was hoping they'd had good store-opening specials.
>

> Karen

Lalalala

Aug 4, 2001, 8:46:30 PM8/4/01
"Steve Wertz" <swe...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> Karen Kay wrote:
> >
> I figured out that much. Everything I bought from Fry's died within
5months, though.
> Everything from Microchip had lasted at least a year so far.... <knock on
wood>

If you buy hardware in the original retail box, it shouldn't matter where
you get it.

laters,
Jim

Lalalala

Aug 4, 2001, 8:48:03 PM8/4/01
"Mapi" <Ma...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> If you watch Compusa and BestBuys specials every sunday for a month,
> and go that day, you can build your system really cheap just buying
> specials
> and getting the cheap stuff like floppies and such from a local used/new
> parts store.
>
> I waited for my HP9200 burner,my twin 30gig 7200 Ata100s and my video card
> to go
> on sale and saved a ton. Cheaper than the net.

This is true, the Net may have everyday low prices but the retail loss
leaders in the Sunday ads are hard to beat. Especially when the store is
right down the street!

laters,
Jim

Steve Wertz

Aug 4, 2001, 8:57:19 PM8/4/01

...Original box that has been re-shrinkwrapped...

Fry's is good at that. And selling refurbs, too.

I bought a White Westinghouse vacuum cleaner there back in 1996 (ever hear
of a White Westinghouse Vacuum Cleaner? I thought not!).

Unfortunately, they don't make replacement bags, just vacuum cleaners.

-sw

MDM

Aug 4, 2001, 10:43:53 PM8/4/01

"Lalalala" <Jn%%nospam%%M_Br...@hotmale.com.invalid> wrote in message

Is there an online source for this info or do I have to get up early Sun.
morn and buy the paper? Maybe someone inside at the Statesman? :)

thx

mdm

Mapi

Aug 5, 2001, 12:31:45 AM8/5/01

"MDM" <mdmc...@swbell.net> wrote in message

You can get the sat, sun and holiday paper delivered right to your
very own front door, rain or snow, sleet or hail and with a better record
of delivery than the post office, which just wasted millions of your tax
dollars
promoting bicycling in France.

Try it.
You might like it.
It even comes with things called "the news" and
they even break it down into international, national and local.
But wait!
If you order now, you also get....
1. Weather
2. Comics
3. Movies
4. Free TV guide!

and more!
Hurry hurry hurry,
Don't wait, don't masturbate, Don't be late! Get the PAPER!

mapi

Bradley M Keryan

Aug 5, 2001, 1:13:34 AM8/5/01
"Mapi" <Ma...@austin.rr.com> writes:

> "MDM" <mdmc...@swbell.net> wrote in message
> >

> > Is there an online source for this info or do I have to get up early
> Sun.
> > morn and buy the paper? Maybe someone inside at the Statesman? :)
> >
> > thx
> >
> > mdm

If you can tolerate the rather low signal-to-noise ratio (of course
you can, because you're reading austin.general :), you might find the
"Hot Deals" forum at Anandtech.com to be useful. Many of the postings
are about sunday ads (especially combined with rebates and/or
pricematching). It's at
http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=40 .

> You can get the sat, sun and holiday paper delivered right to your
> very own front door, rain or snow, sleet or hail and with a better record
> of delivery than the post office, which just wasted millions of your tax
> dollars
> promoting bicycling in France.

The post office doesn't call me up at 9am on a Saturday morning trying
to get me to re-subscribe. They also don't send some random kid
soliciting door-to-door in my apartment complex. What irks me the most
about the Statesman's telemarketing is that they always say something
along the lines of "we're going to start delivering the paper to you
monday, and it will be free for N weeks", as if I haven't told them at
least a dozen times that I don't want their paper and that they should
stop calling me.

> Try it.
> You might like it.

[snip]

You better like it. If you cancel, you probably will never be able to
get them to stop calling you.

Brad

JETman

Aug 5, 2001, 1:42:01 AM8/5/01

They should pay US to read that rag....

--
Regards,

JT (Residing in Austin, Texas)

Just Tooling Down The Internet Superhighway With my G4.......

JETman

Aug 5, 2001, 1:44:50 AM8/5/01

I believe that once you formally tell them not to call you, you have
recourse in the courts, (small claims), under Texas law.

Perhaps one of the legal beagles that reads this ng could enlighten us.
Maybe a class action......

suzanne

Aug 5, 2001, 2:30:07 AM8/5/01
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:43:53 -0500, "MDM" <mdmc...@swbell.net> wrote:

>> ... retail loss leaders in the Sunday ads...

>Is there an online source for this info or do I have to get up early Sun.
>morn and buy the paper? Maybe someone inside at the Statesman? :)

<http://www.salescircular.com> Not sure what time Saturday it's
updated though.

Suzanne

D. Cook

Aug 5, 2001, 2:47:20 AM8/5/01
JETman wrote:

> I believe that once you formally tell them not to call you, you have
> recourse in the courts, (small claims), under Texas law.
>
> Perhaps one of the legal beagles that reads this ng could enlighten us.
> Maybe a class action......

You have to tell them specifically: "Put me on your do-not-call list".
If they continue, call the PUC. Their number's in the beginnning of the
white pages. Once you establish a record with the PUC, the solicitor
has a certain amount of time (21 days?) to stop calling you, and if they
do after this time is up, call the PUC and they will fine the solicitor.

Satellites Direct is the one who keeps calling me. Last time I told
them (gleefully, I might add) that they had a record at the PUC and this
call was going to get them fined, they tried to guilt me.. "the lady who
takes care of taking you off the list is in the hospital, she's real
sick". Whatever. This is my problem because...?

Anyway, more info at http://www.junkbusters.com .

Bradley M Keryan

Aug 5, 2001, 12:29:17 PM8/5/01
"D. Cook" <austin...@yahoo.com> writes:

[snip]

> Anyway, more info at http://www.junkbusters.com .

Ah, thanks. I had been wondering about the "established business
relationship" thing, but because I terminated my Statesman
subscription it should not be considered an established business
relationship. I'll try their script next time I get a telemarketing
call.

Brad

Mapi

Aug 5, 2001, 4:07:55 PM8/5/01

"Bradley M Keryan" <bradatker...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

The first time they called me I told them to never call me again, to take
my name off
their call list, and to never sell my name to a third party or I would sue
their ass off.

They called about two months later. I told the guy exactly what had
happened, he got
his manager and they assured me they were going to look up the records of
who called me
before and why he didn't enter that info in the system and to fire him.

Nice ploy, pretty unbelievable, but they haven't called me since.

But, I forgive the AAS a lot when they throw open their private parking
lot and land to let
10's of thousands of Austonians and visitors watch the bats for free.
I also notice that in the most part people try to clean up after
themselves and put their trash
into trash containers.
But then, I notice most of the people are white and asians and from an
obviously higher class
of people so that might have something to do with it...ever see a park
after a meskin fiesta?

mapi

Spam Collector

Aug 6, 2001, 2:11:53 AM8/6/01
On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:43:53 -0500, MDM <mdmc...@swbell.net> wrote:

>Is there an online source for this info or do I have to get up early Sun.
>morn and buy the paper? Maybe someone inside at the Statesman? :)

You mean like www.bestbuy.com, www.circuitcity.com, and www.compusa.com?
They all have their weekly ads online.

Frank

Steve Wertz

Aug 6, 2001, 2:24:44 AM8/6/01

Fry's used to, too. But it wasn't Fry's scanning and posting the ads.
They sued the guy at http://www.frysad.com, to stop him from posting
their ads. Hence, no more Fry's Ads Online.

You can bet that Fry's will buy the back cover of the Austin Chronicle,
though. Anybody care to bet ;-)

-sw

brooks n. texas

Aug 6, 2001, 9:21:00 AM8/6/01

Bryan Westbrook

Aug 7, 2001, 12:06:07 AM8/7/01
On Sun, 05 Aug 2001 00:57:19 GMT, Steve Wertz <swe...@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>I bought a White Westinghouse vacuum cleaner there back in 1996 (ever hear
>of a White Westinghouse Vacuum Cleaner? I thought not!).

They've got their fingers in a lot of pies. At one point (and maybe
still) they owned Poulan/Weed-Eater (which they bought from Emerson).
So, basically, you bought a vacuum cleaner made by a chainsaw company.
<g>

Mapi

Aug 7, 2001, 1:05:27 AM8/7/01

"Bryan Westbrook" <swest...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Can we dare hope?

Headline:

Fry's bankrolls Austin native Mapanari (one name) in a locally made
movie shot on location called " The Texas Vacuum Cleaner Masacree"?

Intro:
Big fat guy with a pigskin mask over his face chases women usenet posters
around Steve Wertz's apartment with a clattering vicious Westinghouse
vacuum
cleaner with all safety guards removed.
The horror!
The Terror!
Will she trip and fall?
Does she instead pick up a 102 keyboard, fling it at the head of the
macro-encephalitic brother and decapitate him instead?

Stay tuned usenet denizens.
Coming to a usenet group near you soon!

mapi

Steve Wertz

Aug 7, 2001, 2:41:17 AM8/7/01

Could be. My mother used to transcribe depo's and file pictures of sawed-
off hands and severed thumbs for Rockwell's Legal department, many of which
appliances said 'Westinghouse' on them. Rockwell just made the moters and
safety guards on the rip-saws though, kinda like how they make space-shuttle
parts nowdays. These were *real* pictures, not like those you see on that
Mayor of Cincinatti's Show.

I blamed my vacuum cleaner on Fry's. They were a batch of refurbs made
by Hoover that were sitting in a warehouse for 6+ years before Fry's bought
the load. Originally meant to be part of a new WWestinghouse spinoff of a
residential vacuum line, but the refill bags nor the vacuums never made it to
market...until 1997, minus the bags.

Ain't _that_ a bitch?
-sw

I still have 2 shares of Westinghouse Stock, somewhere...

-sw

dkjyy

Aug 11, 2001, 10:12:43 AM8/11/01
Where is this Fry's store located?
Thanks.

Deanna

Stuart Greenfield

Aug 11, 2001, 10:17:33 AM8/11/01
In article <v3bd7.382795$lq1.80...@typhoon.austin.rr.com> dkjyy,

dk...@austin.rr.com writes:
>Where is this Fry's store located?

In the shopping center at Mopac and Parmer. There is a K-Mart in the
same center.

StripDownHoe

Aug 11, 2001, 9:46:16 PM8/11/01
OK no one in this group wants to give a good direction. Take Loop 1 North and
exit Parmer and then keep on the feeder and look for the K-Mart and the big
piano on the frys store.

Steve Wertz

Aug 11, 2001, 10:40:10 PM8/11/01
StripDownHoe wrote:

> OK no one in this group wants to give a good direction. Take Loop 1 North and
> exit Parmer and then keep on the feeder and look for the K-Mart and the big
> piano on the frys store.

By then you'll have passed it up or have run into the sidewalk or other cars.
Take bus #240, instead. Or follow that backroad that will land you in the
Sea Island or Homestyle Buffet parking lot - THAT SOMEBODY ELSE POSTED.

Aren't you the moody bitch with no life outside your skin, eh?

-sw

StripDownHoe

Aug 11, 2001, 11:26:18 PM8/11/01
Your directions suck dude. Dont listen to a bastard that rides the bus and is
on welfare and got arrested for child porn back in 92 and was showcased on the
local ABC station, and when did you get out anyways swertz? Do you still have
that sign in your front yard?

Mapi

Aug 11, 2001, 11:14:28 PM8/11/01
So what's the latest on it's opening?

I keep seeing the giant ads looking for people in the paper.

mapi

"StripDownHoe" <stripd...@aol.com> wrote in message

Steve Wertz

Aug 11, 2001, 11:32:34 PM8/11/01
StripDownHoe wrote:

> Your directions suck dude. Dont listen to a bastard that rides the bus and is
> on welfare and got arrested for child porn back in 92 and was showcased on the
> local ABC station, and when did you get out anyways swertz? Do you still have
> that sign in your front yard?

Mapi?

I have been on ABC, in the Merc, and NBC affiliates, too. But don't mistake me
for John.

-sw

Bryan Westbrook

Aug 12, 2001, 9:48:34 AM8/12/01
On 12 Aug 2001 01:46:16 GMT, stripd...@aol.com (StripDownHoe)
wrote:

>OK no one in this group wants to give a good direction. Take Loop 1 North and
>exit Parmer and then keep on the feeder and look for the K-Mart and the big
>piano on the frys store.

Thank you. I asked for directions from a local mailing list
yesterday, and the only person to repsond called Mo-Pac "1325".

Yeah, yeah, I know that it is 1325 also (a fact I learned only after
going up there to explore Parmer and find the store), but who really
knows that? That is one thing about Austin that really gripes me:
some people insist on referring to all of the streets by those farm
and ranch road numbers.

JETman

Aug 12, 2001, 1:29:54 PM8/12/01

That's the way it is in these heeya parts..... If youse cain't adjust,
you need to relocate!

Mapi

Aug 12, 2001, 2:47:02 PM8/12/01
Boy, it sure was hot yesterday.

Did anyone notice how hot it was?

Man, who knows what the tempurature was? I think it has something
to do with this heat index stuff. Humidity, wind, I dunno.

Boy, it sure is hot out there....

| Bryan Westbrook <swest...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
| > Yeah, yeah, I know that it is 1325 also (a fact I learned only after
| > going up there to explore Parmer and find the store), but who really
| > knows that? That is one thing about Austin that really gripes me:
| > some people insist on referring to all of the streets by those farm
| > and ranch road numbers.
|

| But calling it 2222 is much easier than remembering if it's Northland,
| Koenig, or whatever.
|
| Karen

Steve Wertz

Aug 12, 2001, 5:37:41 PM8/12/01

Anyone know why it's call 'Mopac'?

-sw

brooks n. texas

Aug 12, 2001, 5:42:32 PM8/12/01

> Anyone know why it's call 'Mopac'?
>
> -sw

Short for Missouri Pacific (Runs next to the Rail Road for most of it's
length....)
Brooks

me

Aug 12, 2001, 5:51:31 PM8/12/01
In article <3B76F750...@olagrande.net>, Steve Wertz
<sqw...@olagrande.net> wrote:

That railroad it follows used to be the Missouri-Pacific. (MO-Pac)

--D

Message has been deleted

Dave Anderson

Aug 12, 2001, 7:03:40 PM8/12/01
"brooks n. texas" wrote:

>> Anyone know why it's call 'Mopac'?
>
> Short for Missouri Pacific (Runs next to the Rail Road for most of it's
> length....)

FWIW, it's now a Union Pacific line.

--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use of this email address
implies consent to these terms.

brooks n. texas

Aug 12, 2001, 7:41:42 PM8/12/01
In article <fVDd7.4581$x84.1...@ruti.visi.com>,
GTSPXO...@spammotel.com says...
So lets start calling it UnPac....

JETman

Aug 12, 2001, 8:15:22 PM8/12/01

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Anyone know why it's call 'Mopac'?
>
> -sw

I usually refer to it as "more packed," the road that begins in nowhere
and goes nowhere.....

StripDownHoe

Aug 12, 2001, 8:42:43 PM8/12/01
Thank you for your input Karen Kay. It was worthless as usual

>I thought everyone one did.
>

>Karen

JETman

Aug 12, 2001, 8:55:27 PM8/12/01

Just like you???

StripDownHoe

Aug 12, 2001, 9:26:53 PM8/12/01
The difference between me and you is I admit to being a total asshole troll.
You on the other hand think of yourself as a savior and a genius. You are
worse than I am.

>I'm trying to emulate you; glad I succeeded!

Steve Wertz

Aug 12, 2001, 9:44:09 PM8/12/01
StripDownHoe wrote:

> The difference between me and you is I admit to being a total asshole troll.
> You on the other hand think of yourself as a savior and a genius. You are
> worse than I am.

She just likes to contradcit me. I look at it as a sign of affection.

Isn't that sweet?

-sw

StripDownHoe

Aug 12, 2001, 10:22:41 PM8/12/01
Cant be unemployed I am a full time student. I work for extra money and to
meet chicks. You on the other hand ARE unemployed.

>Not only are you unemployed, but you *are* insane.
>
>Karen

StripDownHoe

Aug 12, 2001, 10:37:27 PM8/12/01
Actually they wonder why you keep on showing up.

>I am? Gee, I wonder if the people who are paying me know that...

me

Aug 12, 2001, 10:41:41 PM8/12/01
In article <20010812222241...@ng-cj1.aol.com>, StripDownHoe
<stripd...@aol.com> wrote:

> Cant be unemployed I am a full time student. I work for extra money and to
> meet chicks. You on the other hand ARE unemployed.

she wasn't talking to you, genius. Exactly where are you a full-time
student? PS 73 in Hoboken? I think they have farms around that area.
Is that where you meet your chicks?

--D

StripDownHoe

Aug 12, 2001, 10:59:49 PM8/12/01
Packing envelopes? Did you answer one of those ads they post in the newsgroup
or did you call the # they post on the signs on the side of the road? I guess
you are making 1000's a week like they say

>They do? Well, I would wonder why, too, since I'm working out of my
>home.... Very strange.
>
>Karen

the wharf rat

Aug 12, 2001, 11:11:09 PM8/12/01
In article <120820012141433554%kis...@ss.com>, me <kis...@ss.com> wrote:
>student? PS 73 in Hoboken? I think they have farms around that area.

There hasn't been a farm around Hoboken since the 19th century.

Steve Wertz

Aug 12, 2001, 11:02:42 PM8/12/01
Karen Kay wrote:
> Not only are you unemployed, but you *are* insane.

Stop, please! I'm too bashfull to be able to accept all this affection
gracefully.

-sw

StripDownHoe

Aug 12, 2001, 11:32:01 PM8/12/01
Which is the last time Steve Wertz was employed.

Steve Wertz

Aug 13, 2001, 12:00:19 AM8/13/01
StripDownHoe wrote:

> Which is the last time Steve Wertz was employed.

Loser.

-sw

Mapi

Aug 13, 2001, 12:42:10 AM8/13/01
Dial 1.888.555.6969.
( KKKP. Karen Kay Kapture Productions)

Ring:

<breathless sexy voice answers>

"Yeeessssss big boy. And is momma going to have to spank you
and humilitate you again today?
hmmmmmm.
Yes honey. Ok, lets take care of business first. Same visa card?
Ok then.
Ok, now tell momma how nasty you are you bad boy Steve!"

mapi

"StripDownHoe" <stripd...@aol.com> wrote in message

dkjyy

Aug 13, 2001, 10:49:08 AM8/13/01

"Bryan Westbrook" <swest...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

LOL, I got it actually. I used to live right across the street from there.
Looks like Fry's took over where that big hardware store was at. Hubby loves
that store and was wondering where they opened one. Hmmm, just wonder where
he is going this weekend. ;-)

Deanna

Texensis

Aug 13, 2001, 11:34:21 AM8/13/01

| But, I forgive the AAS a lot when they throw open their private parking
| lot and land to let
| 10's of thousands of Austonians and visitors watch the bats for free.
| I also notice that in the most part people try to clean up after
| themselves and put their trash
| into trash containers.
| But then, I notice most of the people are white and asians and from an
| obviously higher class
| of people so that might have something to do with it...ever see a park
| after a meskin fiesta?
|
| mapi

That site was a lot better place before the AAS put up its ugly excrescences
there.
Preferable in every way were the Duplex Sign building and the homey smell of
breakfast cooking over open fires down in the jungle.

Lonnie D. Durham

Aug 13, 2001, 5:37:11 PM8/13/01

"dkjyy" <dk...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> LOL, I got it actually. I used to live right across the street from there.
> Looks like Fry's took over where that big hardware store was at. Hubby
loves
> that store and was wondering where they opened one. Hmmm, just wonder
where
> he is going this weekend. ;-)
>
> Deanna

Hi Deanna, you seem new here.

Are you hot?

Lonnie

dkjyy

Aug 14, 2001, 6:05:36 PM8/14/01

"Lonnie D. Durham" <lon...@durhamonline.org> wrote in message
Yeah, I am new to the newsgroup, but have lived in Austin over 20 yrs. I am
also very married with four kids, still hot though. ;-)

Deanna