Gotcha, Austin American Statesman ...

Lenny Tropiano

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
Had a bit of fun tonight. About two months ago we switched our daily
delivery of the AAS newspaper to weekend ONLY service. The papers were
piling up, unread, just after our newborn son arrived. I hated just
taking the paper out of the plastic shell and dumping it directly
into the recycling. So, we switched our service over (maintaining the
weekend paper which got read more often). We've had AAS delivery for
over 4.5 years here, so obviously I was expecting this...

Starting yesterday (12/27) we started getting calls from them. Thank
goodness for our Caller*ID service, we were able to screen the calls and
avoid the annoying people...

Here's the log ...

< Wed Dec 27 18:58:32 (512) 445-3453 American States Hangup
< Thu Dec 28 18:45:53 (512) 445-3453 American States Hangup

FYI --
"Hangup" indicates the answering machine picked up, but no message was left...
Yea, I have some software that interfaces with the Rochelle Caller*ID box
to our computer...

< Thu Dec 28 20:19:05 (512) 445-3453 American States 0:22

Then I figured, I would have a little fun, since this was the second time in
a two hour period (interrupting our quiet evening watching video taped movies)
and the call when something like this...

[ring ...] [ring ...]

[picking up the phone]

Me: "I don't want to switch back to daily delivery..."

[silence]

Me: "Hello?"

[silence]

AAS: [in a perplexed voice] "Hi, this is Melanie from AAS, you must get ...
uhhhh, lots of calls ..."

Me: "Yes, and don't ever call back." [click]

I think that was so much fun!

--
| Lenny Tropiano ICUS Software Systems le...@icus.com |
| 2301 Spring Wagon Lane, Austin, TX 78728 |

WIZ OF MOZ

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
I thought it was the Austin American MISTAKESMAN

doug m

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
On Sun, 31 Dec 1995 06:12:34 -0600, bubba <bu...@tx.com> wrote:

>Thought it was the Awesome American Realestatesman - at least the Sunday
>Edition.

>WIZ OF MOZ wrote:
>>
>> I thought it was the Austin American MISTAKESMAN

also...austin american spaceman

sorry...testing my new newsreader.
--
doug m
austin tx

daisies

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
In article <310a8c36...@news.io.com>, dou...@io.com (doug m) wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Dec 1995 06:12:34 -0600, bubba <bu...@tx.com> wrote:
>
>>Thought it was the Awesome American Realestatesman - at least the Sunday
>>Edition.
>>

>>WIZ OF MOZ wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought it was the Austin American MISTAKESMAN
>
>also...austin american spaceman

Do they know how to use a computer? It irks the hell out of me to read
stories that have paragraphs all mixed up or more often the last paragraph
abruptly chopped off to make room for another tanning salon ad... There is
an easier way to cut and paste than scissors and glue, you know. Ditto for
spelling and grammar checking.

Lyn Pierce

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
In article <daisies-2801...@dialup-86.austin.io.com>,

daisies <dai...@io.com> wrote:
>In article <310a8c36...@news.io.com>, dou...@io.com (doug m) wrote:
>
>Do they know how to use a computer?...
>...There is an easier way to cut and paste than scissors and glue,
> you know. Ditto for spelling and grammar checking.

I personally have never tried using scissors and glue to do spelling and
grammar checking, but I'll bet you're right about this. ;-);-);-)

Cheers,
-- Lyn

Lyn Pierce "Empathy is the key to persuasion. Know your
e-mail: tum...@cs.utexas.edu adversary's mind before you try to change it."

Ted Samsel

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Well, here's a bit re: the types who are in the noosepaper/bird cage
liner bidness.

Here in Richmond, VA, the local papers built a huge new facility for
color printing, got a top-of--the-line Japanese color press and
merrily started to produce the paper. It stalled quite quickly since
the press only had manuals in Japanese. That set 'em back.

Bring back the linotype!
--
Ted Samsel....tejas@infi.net *1996* Year of the Accordion~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Home of the brave, land of the free,