Need AC/Heating Replacement Recommendations

Mike Strong

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
Gotta complete replace AC/Heating in our house. Please, please let me know
what the skinny is WRT current technologies, brands, and good companies to
do business with.

Thanks in advance, my fellow Austinites, Cedar Parkers, Leanderthals, Round
Rockets, & Dripping Springers. :o]

Oliver Klosov

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
Hi Mike,

Mike Strong wrote:

> Gotta complete replace AC/Heating in our house. Please, please let me know
> what the skinny is WRT current technologies, brands, and good companies to
> do business with.

Trane is a topend brand. I replaced my system last September and it
was not
cheap, but my bills are less. The latest thing is variable speed DC
blower motors,
super quiet kits, pilotless ignition, programmable thermostats. I used
All Year
heating and cooling....it was not cheap, but for me it was worth it....

Scott Sexton

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
In article <79nagg$s7f$1...@news.jump.net>, mst...@vignette.com says...

> Gotta complete replace AC/Heating in our house. Please, please let me know
> what the skinny is WRT current technologies, brands, and good companies to
> do business with.
>
> Thanks in advance, my fellow Austinites, Cedar Parkers, Leanderthals, Round
> Rockets, & Dripping Springers. :o]

Mike, if you are located in the Austin City limits, don't forget about
the energy rebates and 0% interest loans.

You can call them for info @ 494-9400 or check out the www site @
www.austinenergy.com

I used Climate Mechanical for my AC replacement.
www.climatemechanical.com

My utility bills went from ~$300/mo to ~$100/mo

Scott Sexton help@
Sexton Consulting sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party - www.sexton.com/eeyores

S.L.

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Mike Strong wrote:

> Gotta complete replace AC/Heating in our house. Please, please let me know
> what the skinny is WRT current technologies, brands, and good companies to
> do business with.

I'm presuming you're talking central air with either an integral gas
furnace or heatpump for heating.

System brands:
I would recommend Lennox, Trane, or York. Lennox is probably on top
right now in the consumer segment. York is the leader in big
applications and tend to let their consumer segment lag. Ruud/Rheem is
very common, but VERY low-end in terms of quietness and overall design.
The Ruud/Rheem design philosophy seems to be,"Eh Tony, I gots dis new
green tin box here. Lets bolt dis compressah in it and sees if it cools
da room off. Sound insulation? We don' need dat stuff!"

Companies in Austin:
I've had great personal experience with City Refrigeration. They also
use Lennox equipment, so two birds with one stone :-) Other reputable
companies include Christianson and Osgood.

Technologies:
Stick with R-22 based systems for now. The new "Puron" systems are WAY
too untested. I'll be a cynic and say that they are purely a marketing
ploy to feed on the "ozone hysteria" (see below for an explanation of
why R-22 is not a threat to the environment anyway). R-22 systems last
20+ years on average, and it'll be a long time before the new systems
match that (oiling is a big problem in the new systems, raising the
potential of compressor failure. Oil doesn't dissolve in the new
refrigerants, so synthetic lubricants of questionable lubricity and
lifespan are being used). On top of that, the "environmental threat"
from home refrigeration systems is NIL! They don't use, and have never
used, R-12 which is the CFC that is suspected of damaging the ozone
layer (and even that is far from a proven fact). They use R-22, which is
an HCFC with a MUCH lower ozone-depleting potential than R-12, and on
top of that home systems are hermetically sealed so there is not any
leakage during normal operation, as there is with a car A/C system.

> Thanks in advance, my fellow Austinites, Cedar Parkers, Leanderthals, Round
> Rockets, & Dripping Springers. :o]

You forgot Buda. :-)

--
Stephen Lacker
sla...@arlut.utexxas.edu (Remove the extra 'x' to mail me)

Mike Strong

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Thanks to everyone who has replied, and an especially hearty thanks to S.L.
for such a meaty and entertaining response! ;o)

MJS

var...@swbell.nospam.net

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

I have never gone wrong with S.L.'s advice. In fact, our office keeps a
file of his posts from cars to gardening. He's amazing.

Dera