Austin bakeries

Scott Wright

Oct 3, 1994, 12:24:29 PM10/3/94
Can someone recommend to me the best bakeries here in Austin? I am interested
in both yeast-bread and pastry (esp. Danish pastry). I have been to Central
Market and Sweetish Hill (sp?) on 6th street, and also Fiesta. Where else
should I go?

Thanks!
Scott

pbjim.cc.utexas.edu

Oct 4, 1994, 9:09:32 PM10/4/94

In article <Cx3uw...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com>, sco...@austin.ibm.com
(Scott Wright) wrote:

Hyde Park Bakery, 43rd and Duval

Joe Coleman

Oct 9, 1994, 10:21:43 PM10/9/94
In article <Cx3uw...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com>, sco...@austin.ibm.com
(Scott Wright) wrote:

Central Market has great breads; their pastries are rather ho-hum.
Sweetish Hill is an excellent bakery. Try their Philadelphia-style sticky
buns. Yum.

If you're looking for an authentic Mexican-style bakery, try La Reyna on
S. 1st street. Excellent maranitos (gingerbread pigs) and empanadas
(fruit-filled "tarts," for lack of a better word) get my vote.

Heidi's German Bakery on Lake Austin Blvd. has been a consistent crowd
pleaser for a long time. They have great schnecken (cinnamon rolls) and
other pastries. Their german breads are to die for. Try their lunch
special: a bratwurst with german potato salad and sauerkraut for $3.50!

The Upper Crust Bakery at 45th and Burnet is also a good stop, much in the
vein of Sweetish Hill. They have a prepared foods store right next to them
which also provides some tasty entrees.

La Madeline, a "french" bakery chain from Dallas and Houston just opened
on North Lamar in the old Casa Adobe restaurant building (one block south
of 38th street, across from Seton hospital). I have been to a location in
Dallas, and they have excellent pastries and desserts.

Joe

(0 0)
+-----oOO----(_)-----------+ |||
| | (0 0)
| big...@infinity.ccsi.com | +------------(_)---oOO-----+
| | | Austin, Texas |
+------------------oOO-----+ | USA |
|__|__| +----oOO-------------------+
|| || || ||
ooO Ooo ooO Ooo

My opinions are those of my employer because I work for myself.

Benjamin J. Sloan

Oct 9, 1994, 11:19:34 PM10/9/94
In article <bigboy-0910...@mukta.ccsi.com>,

Joe Coleman <big...@infinity.ccsi.com> wrote:

>Central Market has great breads; their pastries are rather ho-hum.
>Sweetish Hill is an excellent bakery. Try their Philadelphia-style sticky
>buns. Yum.

Central Market has cornered the, er, market on bread in Austin. They
have european bakers making the real thing and nobody else comes
close, certainly not that spongey gluten Texas French Bread serves
up. Now if only CM opened at a decent hour and wasn't part of HEB.

>Heidi's German Bakery on Lake Austin Blvd. has been a consistent crowd
>pleaser for a long time. They have great schnecken (cinnamon rolls) and
>other pastries. Their german breads are to die for. Try their lunch
>special: a bratwurst with german potato salad and sauerkraut for $3.50!

Heidi's hasn't been around that long: 2 years maybe? They got flooded
bigtime Friday night and were up in arms Saturday morning. Imagine
all that black forest bread and bland Europa sausage floating out into
Lake Austin Blvd...

>The Upper Crust Bakery at 45th and Burnet is also a good stop, much in the
>vein of Sweetish Hill. They have a prepared foods store right next to them
>which also provides some tasty entrees.

Upper Crust is marvelous, isn't it? Rather out of the way, but they do
have nice treats under the counter and behind it ;-)

>La Madeline, a "french" bakery chain from Dallas and Houston just opened
>on North Lamar in the old Casa Adobe restaurant building (one block south
>of 38th street, across from Seton hospital). I have been to a location in
>Dallas, and they have excellent pastries and desserts.

Holy Moses. Gosh, if it is anything like the shops in Dallas, Houston, or
San Antonio they're going to be a smash hit. I've been expecting their
arrival for a couple of years. Big news. I'll be there tomorrow! And
thank god Casa Adobe is dead.

You forgot: Amandine (north Shoal Creek and also w 12th): nice dessert
pastries, pricey quiches, wedding cakes, etc. The service at the
north store is consistently abominable, even if you are the only person
in the store. Cook's Night Out at West Lynn Fresh Plus: slackerdom
at its greatest. Mediocre coffees, some healthy/filling treats, including
breakfast tacos, and the baker in his filthy apron smoking unfiltered
Camels at the best table on the sidewalk. A classic. Food!Food! on
Exposition at Westover: marvelous capuccino, baked goods from Sweetish
Hill, and very friendly service. There are quite a few others as well.

Ben
--
Benjamin Sloan "Moderation in all things, including moderation."
b...@utig.ig.utexas.edu -Sylvia Smith

Jim Bacon

Oct 10, 1994, 10:29:12 AM10/10/94
In article <bigboy-0910...@mukta.ccsi.com> big...@infinity.ccsi.com (Joe Coleman) writes:
>In article <Cx3uw...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com>, sco...@austin.ibm.com
>(Scott Wright) wrote:
>
>> Can someone recommend to me the best bakeries here in Austin? I am interested
>> in both yeast-bread and pastry (esp. Danish pastry). I have been to Central
>> Market and Sweetish Hill (sp?) on 6th street, and also Fiesta. Where else
>> should I go?
>

>Central Market has great breads; their pastries are rather ho-hum.
>Sweetish Hill is an excellent bakery. Try their Philadelphia-style sticky
>buns. Yum.

[ deletia ]

Can this be taken to austin.food? (see followup-to:)
Thanks.

--
Jim Bacon (JB211), System Administrator jba...@tpoint.net
Turning Point Information Services, Inc. finger for PGP public key

TM Sims

Oct 11, 1994, 1:58:44 AM10/11/94
Try any 'Texas French Bread' location and 'Amandine'. I strongly prefer them
for product/ambience/Buy Greater Austin etc.
If you don't care for one TFB location try another--each shop has a different
(sometimes very different) feeling.
ENJOY!
TM