Los Reyes Mexican Restaurant in Cedar Park

1 view

cco...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2006, 11:40:42 AM10/6/06
This place just opened recently and I had been meaning to give it a
try. It was formerly a crappy taqueria named La Cocina.

After stopping in for dinner the other day, I walked away impressed.
Now that says alot as I hail from the Rio Grande Valley (home of the
world's best Tex-Mex).

We started out with just the basic chips and salsa to get things going.
The chips seemed to be fried onsite and were crunchy and warm with an
appetizing texture. Two salsas were brought out: A classic red salsa
that was the perfect temp, and a tangier red salsa (possibly chipotle).

I ordered the tampiquena plate (enchilada, tamale, fajita slab with
rice, refried beans, and guacamole/pico de gallo). My wife had the
fajita nachos (beef fajita chunks, queso, refried beans, jalapenos,
sour cream and guacamole).

The waiter recommended the homemade flour tortillas to accompany the
tampiquena plate. I obliged.

The fajitas on the tampiquena plate were pounded down thin, perfectly
seasoned and marintated. I mean they were melt in your mouth tender.
The refried beans were smooth and hearty. The rice was average.

The nachos were especially great. The thick cut tortilla chips
provided a sturdy platform for the generous and weight topping. The
fajitas were cut in the perfect size. The queso and bean mixture with
the guacamole and jalapenos were pure heaven on a chip.

Now the real star of the show was the stack of homemade flour
tortillas. The waiter warned us, and I heeded the warning, for I knew
of the power that lard laden hand rolled tortillas wield. Eating these
tortillas with some beans and guacamole was pure bliss. I actually
thought I was back at home munching on a breakfast megataco from one of
the hole in the walls in Brownsville.

Oh well, this may just be one man's idea of Tex-Mex Nirvana. YMMV

Manzoorul Hassan

Oct 6, 2006, 2:55:04 PM10/6/06
I am not too familiar with the area and have no idea where La Cocina
used to be. Can you give a cross street or any other reference.

- manzoor

Joe Johnson

Oct 6, 2006, 2:57:16 PM10/6/06
Where in Cedar Park is this?
Message has been deleted

cco...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2006, 3:42:55 PM10/6/06

It's on 183 in the shopping center that contains Hunan Chef. It's near
the intersection on 183 and Park. It's across from what used to be the
shopping center that used to contain Bubba's Icehouse and Callahan's.

Message has been deleted

jOhN

Oct 6, 2006, 8:37:54 PM10/6/06
yippee! I just asked in the Zyng thread if anyone had eaten at Los Reyes
yet. Thanks for the review fellow Valleyite.
(My dad opened all the Valley DQ's outside of Brownsville, San Benito
and Harlingen in the 70's. Go Bulldogs!)

Joe Johnson

Oct 6, 2006, 9:59:28 PM10/6/06
Hehe...

Now son, you see them railroad tracks down yonder? Well you don't wanna
go that way...

Howard wrote:
> cco...@gmail.com wrote in news:1160163775.247359.34190
> @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

>> It's on 183 in the shopping center that contains Hunan Chef. It's near
>> the intersection on 183 and Park. It's across from what used to be the
>> shopping center that used to contain Bubba's Icehouse and Callahan's.
>

> Now THERE'S a Texas way of giving directions!

Carl Pearson

Oct 7, 2006, 3:37:48 AM10/7/06
Those are actually pretty good directions. You get an adequate street
location, as well as both current and past landmarks. One should be
able to find it, assuming both eyes and brain were open during the search.

Had to chuckle, though, as I'm reminded of a cut from Laurie Anderson
(on Mister Heartbreak, IIRC).

"Hey mister, how do I get to town from here?"

The directions end with "and take a left at that place where they're
*thinking of* building a drive-in bank..."

<vernacular>
Now them's some die-rekshun!
</vernacular>

Steve

Oct 7, 2006, 7:35:45 AM10/7/06

> Had to chuckle, though, as I'm reminded of a cut from Laurie Anderson
> (on Mister Heartbreak, IIRC).
>
> "Hey mister, how do I get to town from here?"
>
> The directions end with "and take a left at that place where they're
> *thinking of* building a drive-in bank..."

Actually that's the title track from Big Science.
Steve

cco...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2006, 3:35:43 PM10/7/06

> yippee! I just asked in the Zyng thread if anyone had eaten at Los Reyes
> yet. Thanks for the review fellow Valleyite.
> (My dad opened all the Valley DQ's outside of Brownsville, San Benito
> and Harlingen in the 70's. Go Bulldogs!)

No problem john. Since you're from the valley, you know what good Tex
Mex is all about.

Also, I forgot to mention that the enchiladas were a hit as well.
smooth melted cheese on the inside, topped with queso. Next time I
will try the beef enchiladas.

jOhN

Oct 7, 2006, 11:04:10 PM10/7/06
We just got back (burp!)
- I also got the tampiquena plate, it was all you said it was
- the missus got the Los Reyes plate and she liked it quite a bit -
she was really happy with the cheese enchilada

We got a side of chili con queso that was not very cheesy flavored. The
waitress was polling the tables for feedback - haha...get it?
FEEDback.... and said she would report our comment.

The guys next to us were from Robstown and although they liked most
everything they said the homemade flour totillas needed to be a little
browned on both sides like they grew up with ( I liked the two I got
with my plate - browned or not).

Super Extra Bonus - they were passing out free margaritas ( 1 per) and
they were pretty bueno.

I heard the waitress say they were opening at 6am and were serving
breakfast - that's when she said they had the best tortillas, too.

Carl Pearson

Oct 8, 2006, 8:43:46 AM10/8/06

Ah, thanks for the correction; been a while, don't crank up the Technics
that much these days...

jOhN

Oct 13, 2006, 9:26:44 PM10/13/06

Burp!!! the sequel............

In-Laws in town and we went back to Los Reyes.

Started off with a tasty platter of Papasitas Nachos - translate as "had
everything on them" - and a round of good margaritas, still gratis

Fajita and shrimp special - the large serving of sizzling beef fajitas
were really tender without tasting like a marinade, the 4 big shrimp
were split on the belly side and broiled just right. There were plenty
of grilled onions, peppers, cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo to go with
the 3 homemade flour tortillas.

Wife and daughter got the Los Reyes plate and it was as good as last week.

Mom-in-law ordered the chicken quesadillas and found them quite tasty

Pop-in-law got a different combo plate than the Los Reyes and was
particularly fond of the charro beans - he even wanted us to try them
they were so good ( he's not into sharing his food, only yours)

My In-laws used to live in Austin and ate at the original La Tapatia and
Matt's El Rancho. They have a long history of enjoying Tex-Mex and
definitely gave this place a thumbs up.

Iris

Oct 17, 2006, 10:42:29 AM10/17/06
Where in Cedar Park is Los Reyes located?

"jOhN" <us271934...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Jim Lahue

Oct 17, 2006, 11:46:13 AM10/17/06
Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:42:29 GMT, Iris wrote:
>

>>Where in Cedar Park is Los Reyes located?
>

> From my previous post (which nobody countered):
> I'd guess it's at 251 N. Bell Blvd. Cedar Park
>
> -sw

It's in the same strip mall as Popeyes and Subway (west side of 183, a
little bit north of the light at Park St).

Jim Lahue

Brunello di Montalcino

Oct 17, 2006, 12:52:25 PM10/17/06

Taco Cabana has homemade tortillas--from a machine...

There is a another place in Cedar Park (that has a fajita
buffet at least at lunch BTW) that has hand made tortillas
assuming Los Reyes' homemade tortillas are hand made. At
lunch time at least you can see a lady rolling them out.

Guadalajara is on Lakeline Blvd & Cypress Creek Rd a
couple of miles west of 183. The last time I was there
at lunch they did not have a crock pot of queso out at
the buffet but they did the other times I've been there.

1525 Cypress Creek Rd

Joann Zimmerman

Oct 17, 2006, 3:18:52 PM10/17/06
In article <4pkc66F...@individual.net>, jml...@us.NO_SPAM.ibm.com
says...

In other words, in case somebody's managed not to figure it out, Bell
Blvd = 183. Took us a while to master this important point.

--
"I never understood people who don't have bookshelves."
--George Plimpton

Joann Zimmerman jz...@bellereti.com

jOhN

Oct 21, 2006, 4:25:21 PM10/21/06

Went for desayuno (breakfast) this time.

Coffee
Migas del Mexicana plate
Side of ham

Coffee ok
Migas: pretty good, they had adequate unsoggy tortillas mixed in with
tomato and onion - no cheese in this recipe
Potatos: thoroughly done and not hard
Refrieds: great texture
Homemade flour tortillas: 3ea and lightly browned on boths sides, too
hot to handle when first served - yummy
Ham: ordered sausage (language barrier perhaps) but since the ham looked
okay I stuck with it without regrets
Hot sauce: spicy, kinda halfway between pico de gallo and a salsa with
small bits of ingredients

The tab was about $6.50 - too cheap, I had ordered three separate items.
Portions are intended for lumberjacks. I even had to leave one of the
tortillas. A couple that was less gluttonous than I could easily have
split this meal.

Los Reyes is 3 for 3 so far.

jOhN

Nov 12, 2006, 1:50:43 AM11/12/06

Today got the huevos con chorizo - $3.75 and was just as good as the
other meals.

jOhN

Dec 13, 2006, 2:46:11 AM12/13/06

Stopped by for lunch - carne guisada, rice, refrieds, and flour tortillas.

It was good, but the highlight was the tostadas with their two kinds of
hot sauce. The chips were THE best I've ever had. Crunchy, not tough,
they weren't sharp against your palate either. The waitress said the
food there is 100% homemade and I believe her.

jOhN

Jan 1, 2007, 3:47:35 AM1/1/07
jOhN wrote:
2 months and still serving it up right - breakfast Sunday morning was
yummy. They seem at bit busier too so I hope they can hang in there.

p.s. no Grapevine Market in Cedar Park - Ace Hardware is opening up in
the old Callahans location