Review: La Reyna

Herr Flugenmeister

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Hey all,

Just a short review of La Reyna on S. 1st. Last night was our first visit
there, even though we live pretty close to it. The service was excellent
and attentive. The salsa was HEAT! Extrememly hot, but pretty flavorful.
Despite my mouth o' fire, I still couldn't keep the chips outta that bowl.
They served a huge bowl of it too, which I liked cuz I hate those shot
glasses of hot sause most other places serve that needs refilling 10-15
times throughout the meal. The chips weren't very fresh or homemade. They
were just average.

Ordered the Enchiladas Rancheras, cheese enchiladas covered with potatos
and carrots. Seemed like an odd combination, and it was. No sause on the
chiladas and the cheese wasn't melted inside. It tasted ok, but sause and
more time in the oven would have made them real good. Not much cheese was
used either. The carrots and pototatos that covered the chiladas were
basic, but good and not overcooked.

The beans were excellent, but not enough on the plate, and with all this
food and only 2 extra corn tortillas, with additional tortillas at $0.50
each, well, I didn't finish the whole plate. More tortillas and beans
would have cleared that plate dry.

The spousal unit ordered chalupas, rice and beans. She said they were
pretty good and they looked better than my meal. Total cost was $13 plus
tip. Not bad, but for a just below average meal, I'll try another spot on
S. 1st before coming back, but probably will try again to see if it was an
off night. The service was great.

William H. Taft

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

In article <01bd954d$e13f89e0$f408...@mbaseflug.us.dell.com>, rock_l...@dell.com
says...

>The spousal unit ordered chalupas, rice and beans. She said they were
>pretty good and they looked better than my meal. Total cost was $13 plus
>tip. Not bad, but for a just below average meal, I'll try another spot on
>S. 1st before coming back, but probably will try again to see if it was an
>off night. The service was great.

La Reyna has snappy looking coffee mugs that you can buy for a few bucks.

-President William Howard Taft

Ted Samsel

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

William H. Taft <goon...@bga.com> wrote:
: In article <01bd954d$e13f89e0$f408...@mbaseflug.us.dell.com>, rock_l...@dell.com
: says...

And marranitos (ginger pigs). Can't get 'em on the East Coast. I brought
back a bag of 'em from a panaderia in Denver last month and my kids
were transported back to the days when they were rather tractable.

--
Ted Samsel....tejas@infi.net (or tbsa...@richmond.infi.net)
"do the boogie woogie in the South American way"

Victor M. Martinez

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Herr Flugenmeister <rock_l...@dell.com> wrote:
>Ordered the Enchiladas Rancheras, cheese enchiladas covered with potatos
>and carrots. Seemed like an odd combination, and it was. No sause on the
>chiladas and the cheese wasn't melted inside. It tasted ok, but sause and

It sounds like what real enchiladas are like... I might go give them
a try...

--
Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering

muddy feat

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Victor M. Martinez wrote in message <6m3mf8$fsq$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>...

>Herr Flugenmeister <rock_l...@dell.com> wrote:
>>Ordered the Enchiladas Rancheras, cheese enchiladas covered
>>with potatos and carrots. Seemed like an odd combination, and
>>it was. No sause on the chiladas and the cheese wasn't melted
>>inside. It tasted ok, but sause and
>
>It sounds like what real enchiladas are like... I might go give them
>a try...

The enchiladas rancheras at La Reyna are some of our favorites. Their
homemade tamales are worth the trip, as is the sauce on the huevos
rancheros.