Win a Central Florida Vacation.

Central Florida

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

Hi and thanks for checking out Central Florida Info.
Whatever the subject of this Newsgroup,
chances are, you will find this useful.
Now, you can plan your visit to the Orlando Area through the Internet.

http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ccs1/goa.htm

Visit our homepage and subscribe to the
free Central Florida Newsletter (e-mail).
You could even win a Vacation in Central Florida (details in next Newsletter).

gentle benn

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

My BEST friend is coming to Austin for Labor Day...

I want to take him to "definatively Austin" resturants (places that show
the Austin Spirit)... (and DON'T wipe out my meager check book so Fonda
San Miguel, tho wonderful, is out) and no chains...:( and north is
'prefered' but...

So far on my list are

East Side Cafe- Simple, classy, good
Hula Hut- need I say more?
maybe Romeo's or Chuys..(tho I think Chuys is too salty)

also- any 'must sees"? (combine Hula Hut with the lake and the sculpture
gardens and the hill country and the bridge..)
and of course, 6th Street and Ester's Follies...

growf.

Penn

Albert Nurick

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.960724...@pentagon.io.com>, gentle benn <pe...@io.com> wrote:
>My BEST friend is coming to Austin for Labor Day...
>
>I want to take him to "definatively Austin" resturants (places that show
>the Austin Spirit)... (and DON'T wipe out my meager check book so Fonda
>San Miguel, tho wonderful, is out) and no chains...:( and north is
>'prefered' but...
>
>So far on my list are
>
>East Side Cafe- Simple, classy, good
>Hula Hut- need I say more?
>maybe Romeo's or Chuys..(tho I think Chuys is too salty)

I'd add:
The Salt Lick for BBQ
Cisco's for breakfast
Threadgill's for lunch
the Oasis for drinks around Sunset
Serranos at Symphony Square for a downtown Tex-Mex meal
Manuel's on Congress for a downtown interior Mexican meal

Need more ideas? Check out the Austin Dining Guide:

http://austin.data.net/dining/

| Albert Nurick | "In case of doubt, decide in |
| alb...@data.net | favor of what is correct." |
| http://www.data.net | |
| http://www.data.net/albert | - Karl Kraus |

gentle benn

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96
to Jim Andrews

> East Side is way up there on my "definitive" list as well. How about:
>
> Guero's
> Hyde Park Bar & Grill
> Mother's
> Martin Brother's
> Kerbey Lane
> Magnolia Cafe
> Nuevo Leon

wow Jim! we must think alot alike...I almost added Nuevo Leon (btw- try
Las Palomas at the corner of I35 and 290, terrifically underated, never
crowded and WONDERFUL service (ask one of the waitresses when the next
'waitress fights' are....sure to get a smile!!)

Mothers also...I wish I would think of them more often :)
and Kirby and Magnolia (anyone have a favorite location?)

and where is Hyde Park Bar & Grill? near Mothers?

the only one I disagree with is Gueros - you mean the new location? ugh-
the ONLY time I have been there it was like eating in a department store,
VERY VERY loud and noisy (hard to hear folks at the table, and unorganized
(they had recently opened- maybe it has gotten better?)) and crowdy, (the
high ceiling seemed to make things worse) and the service was poor...

thanks for the lists...(tells me I am right on..)

growf!

Penn

kate

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

gentle benn <pe...@io.com> wrote:
> Hula Hut- need I say more?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> maybe Romeo's or Chuys..(tho I think Chuys is too salty)

Uh, yea! You need to say, "THREADGILL'S."
--
Come see us at:
http://www.auschron.com

gentle benn

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96
to Albert Nurick

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Albert Nurick wrote:

> I'd add:
> The Salt Lick for BBQ
> Cisco's for breakfast
tell me more? is it a chain? over on Burnett maybe?
> Threadgill's for lunch
See my recent boredom with this (oh, he is a native Atlantan (like
me) and I have had REAL souther food....Threadgills will NEVER be
that..(The Majestic Diner on Ponce de Leon "Ponce" runs rings around
Threadgills (plus alot of REAL character(s)...

> the Oasis for drinks
around Sunset
> Serranos at Symphony Square for a downtown Tex-Mex meal
I have been to others- very good...hmmm...

> Manuel's on Congress for a downtown interior Mexican meal
again, tell me more? thanks!

> Need more ideas? Check out the Austin Dining Guide:
> http://austin.data.net/dining/

I would rather get personal recomendations...thanks tho!
growf.
Penn

Jim Andrews

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

gentle benn <pe...@io.com> wrote:
>My BEST friend is coming to Austin for Labor Day...
>
>I want to take him to "definatively Austin" resturants (places that show
>the Austin Spirit)... (and DON'T wipe out my meager check book so Fonda
>San Miguel, tho wonderful, is out) and no chains...:( and north is
>'prefered' but...
>
>So far on my list are
>
>East Side Cafe- Simple, classy, good
>Hula Hut- need I say more?
>maybe Romeo's or Chuys..(tho I think Chuys is too salty)
>
>also- any 'must sees"? (combine Hula Hut with the lake and the sculpture
>gardens and the hill country and the bridge..)
>and of course, 6th Street and Ester's Follies...

East Side is way up there on my "definitive" list as well. How about:

Guero's
Hyde Park Bar & Grill
Mother's
Martin Brother's
Kerbey Lane
Magnolia Cafe
Nuevo Leon

"Bring your own lampshade, | Jim Andrews
somewhere there's a party" | MBT, Inc.
| Basset Sound
The Replacements | The Fidgets

JIM HUNTER

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.960725...@bermuda.io.com>, gentle benn <pe...@io.com> says:

> See my recent boredom with this (oh, he is a native Atlantan (like
>me) and I have had REAL souther food....Threadgills will NEVER be
>that..(The Majestic Diner on Ponce de Leon "Ponce" runs rings around
>Threadgills (plus alot of REAL character(s)...

I couldn't tell from your post--is the Majestic Diner in
Austin or Atlanta or Greenville,Mississippi?

BTW,even though it's my home town, Greenville has Doe's Eat Place
--an actual steak restaurant in a home--listed by Esquire Magazine
as one of the top 100 places to eat in America.

Reminds me does anyone remember a restaurant(in Round Rock, I think)
that was in a black familys' home.(Does Terry in Pflugerville remember
this?)

gentle benn

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96
to JIM HUNTER

On 26 Jul 1996, JIM HUNTER wrote:
> I couldn't tell from your post--is the Majestic Diner in
> Austin or Atlanta or Greenville,Mississippi?

Whoops! in Atlanta, Ponce de Leon and Highland...(now near the
Carter Library...) meat and 2 veggies 4$

Penn

bkr...@onr.com

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In <Pine.BSI.3.95.960724...@pentagon.io.com>, gentle benn <pe...@io.com> writes:
>My BEST friend is coming to Austin for Labor Day...

Assuming it's still in operation, you can check out Nau's Pharmacy. It's like stepping
back in time 30 years and is definitely easy on the wallet.
Blake Krass
Pflugerville TX
bkr...@onr.com

terrymoore

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.960725...@bermuda.io.com>,
gentle benn <pe...@io.com> says:

>. . . . . . . . .(The Majestic Diner on Ponce de Leon "Ponce"
>growf.
>Penn

Just for kicks, how do you "Jawjah Crackers" pernounce (or mis-pernunce)
"Ponce de Leon"?

Terry in Pflugerville

(PS: I'll bet you think I don't know the difference between "pernounce"
and "pronounce".

maddie teller-kook

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96
to gentle benn

gentle benn wrote:

> My BEST friend is coming to Austin for Labor Day...
>
> I want to take him to "definatively Austin" resturants (places that show
> the Austin Spirit)... (and DON'T wipe out my meager check book so Fonda
> San Miguel, tho wonderful, is out) and no chains...:( and north is
> 'prefered' but...
>
> So far on my list are
>
> East Side Cafe- Simple, classy, good
> Hula Hut- need I say more?
> maybe Romeo's or Chuys..(tho I think Chuys is too salty)

You might try Brio's, (on 6th street), Threadgill's (tho its much more
commercial now), Katz Deli (go after Esther's Follies), Oh....Try the
Hyde Park Grill (Duval and 40-something..look for the fork in front of
the restaurant...and try the french fries!!!!).

> also- any 'must sees"? (combine Hula Hut with the lake and the sculpture
> gardens and the hill country and the bridge..)
> and of course, 6th Street and Ester's Follies...

Tell him to bring his swim suit and head to Zilker park and swim in
Barton Spring. Go to the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels....

maddie

> growf.
>
> Penn

Ted Samsel

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

Dirty's
The Stallion
El Toro
Lake Austin Inn
MooreBurger

--
Ted Samsel....tejas@infi.net *1996* Year of the Accordion~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Home of the brave, land of the free,

Rick Saenz

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

In article <4tl2st$e...@nw101.infi.net>, Ted Samsel <te...@infi.net> wrote:

Dirty's
The Stallion
El Toro
Lake Austin Inn
MooreBurger

Unless those are affectionate nicknames, I'm afraid you have defined
an Austin long since gone. Only Dirty's can be found in the current
phone book.

Rick Saenz

gentle benn

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96
to terrymoore

On 29 Jul 1996, terrymoore wrote:
> Just for kicks, how do you "Jawjah Crackers" pernounce (or mis-pernunce)
> "Ponce de Leon"?
>

> Terry in Pflugerville

actually I have a good story about that- when my step-mother moved to
Atlanta (a die hard yankee from indiana/chicago) asked someone where
"Ponsa-De' LeeOhn" was (pardon my bad phenetics) the man stood there,
shook his had said "Ponsa-De LeeOhn"?? oh...you mean "Pons DeLEAON" (one
long word, not 3), "Sure! go ....." actually all the natives call it
Ponce.. the grey area between Viginia- Highlands (Very Trendy (my old
neighborhood)) and Ponce (south of Briarcliff/Moreland (Atlanta used to be
so racially negative that it changes names from the old white neighborhood
to the bad)) to Poncey-Highlands (about 10k difference in property
value)..

There, was that more that you wanted to know? :)

growf.

Penn

gentle benn

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96
to maddie teller-kook

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, maddie teller-kook wrote:
> You might try Brio's, (on 6th street),
tell me more- price range? type of food?

, Katz Deli (go after Esther's Follies),
have had REALLY bad service there- what do folks think of Huts?

Oh....Try the
> Hyde Park Grill (Duval and 40-something..look for the fork in front of
> the restaurant...and try the french fries!!!!).
sigh, but I am TRYING to watch my weight..(have lost 15 lbs and am
proud of it ...

> Tell him to bring his swim suit and head to Zilker park and swim in
> Barton Spring.
THAT might be fun...would be nice to see him in a swim suit 8-0

Go to the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels....
I was going for more "Austin Only stuff" (wish the river were not
so far down...tubing could be fun, but Atlanta has "Shootin' the Hooch"
so..

thanks for the suggestions!

Rajat Datta

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

bkr...@onr.com writes:

> And a trip up to Round Rock for the great donuts at Lone Star Bakery is worth it.
> These are the famous yellow donuts people rave about.

Oooh, man! Don't eat too many of those donuts. Can you say burping up eggs all day?
Yuck! I don't know why the donuts are yellow, but suspect it's because of lots and
lots of egg yolks. They're delicious, but watch out if you have any tendency for
gluttony (as I do).

rajat

bkr...@onr.com

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

In <4tl2st$e...@nw101.infi.net>, te...@infi.net (Ted Samsel) writes:
>Dirty's
>The Stallion
>El Toro
>Lake Austin Inn
>MooreBurger

The Stallion burned down in the 80's if I remember correctly. Not sure if it was
all that grease or an insurance scam or an accident or what. In case the original
poster is trying to look any of these up, I think Dirty's is really called Martin's
Kumbak Inn or some weird name like that. But everyone calls it Dirty's.

As another suggestion, what's that place way the hell in east Austin that does
great breakfast on the weekends? Cisco's?

And a trip up to Round Rock for the great donuts at Lone Star Bakery is worth it.
These are the famous yellow donuts people rave about.

Blake Krass
Pflugerville TX
bkr...@onr.com

vince

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

Ski Shores. Borderburger and cold Negra Modelo. Mmmmm.

vince

terrymoore

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.960730...@pentagon.io.com>,
gentle benn <pe...@io.com> says:

>actually I have a good story about that- when my step-mother moved to
>Atlanta (a die hard yankee from indiana/chicago) asked someone where
>"Ponsa-De' LeeOhn" was (pardon my bad phenetics) the man stood there,
>shook his had said "Ponsa-De LeeOhn"?? oh...you mean "Pons DeLEAON"

Yeah!! In my hometown of Plainview, Texas, I was taught that the
explorer's name was Pone-seh-day-lee-own. Then I ran across a good
old boy from Pennsylvania who mentioned Ponts-dee-lee-awn. I've never
thought to ask a spanish speaking person to say it for me.

Cheers.

Terry in Pflugerville

Lance Hartmann

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

In article <4t8po9$p...@peru.it.earthlink.net>,
Albert Nurick <alb...@data.net> wrote:

>In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.960724...@pentagon.io.com>, gentle benn <pe...@io.com> wrote:
>>My BEST friend is coming to Austin for Labor Day...
[STUFF DELETED]

>I'd add:
[...]

>Manuel's on Congress for a downtown interior Mexican meal
^^^^^^^

A couple of friends and I had dinner there this past Saturday and were
all VERY disappointed. I'd not been there in years and so looked forward
to it. While the chips were good, I found the salsa to be dreadful;
tasted like it came right out of a jar. For my entree, I ordered
a chile relleno stuffed with pork. It was way overcooked, and the
pork had, in my opinion, the consistency of sawdust; virtually no
flavor and entirely dry. Bleh!

Atop it all, the service was poor. Our waitress rarely came to the
table and owing to the time (about 5pm), perhaps, the place was not
crowded at all. In my opinion, that's inexcusable. I doubt I'll
return.

--
Lance Hartmann (la...@io.com)

Stuart McDow

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

vi...@io.com (vince) writes:

> Ski Shores. Borderburger and cold Negra Modelo. Mmmmm.

Mmmm. Whatta place!! European motorcycle club meets there first Sunday
of the month. Or pull your boat right up. Beer's always cold, and it's
a great place to relax and hang out and hang out and hang
out. Excellent jukebox. My kinda place. Plus that wonderful sign near
the takeout counter: "Life's too short to live in Dallas!"

--
Stuart McDow Applied Research Laboratories
smc...@arlut.utexas.edu The University of Texas at Austin

Lynn

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Guerro's will always be one of my favorites. Great "Austin" atmosphere,
too.