Marisco Grill on Burnet

1 view

Victor M. Martinez, Jr.

Aug 4, 2001, 9:43:28 AM8/4/01
Had dinner at Marisco Grill on N. Burnet last night. We got chips and
salsa as soon as we sat down. Salsa was very good and the chips were not
greasy at all. I started with the Vuelve a la vida cocktail (shrimp,
oysters, octopus, avocado, onion) which was very good. Much better than
the cocktail I had at Curra's the other week. My sidekick got the nachos
compuestos, which were dubbed the best in town after tasting them. I had
the camarones al mojo de ajo and my companion had the pescado a la
veracruzana (as usual). Both were very good, served with a nice white rice
and a medley of veggies. We washed it all down with a couple of pretty
good margaritas. Total for the food was $34, not bad at all for the
quality and quantity.
Service was attentive, even though it got kinda crowded by the time we
finished our meal and there were only two servers for the whole
restaurant.
Bottomline, go check them out. You won't be disappointed. BTW, it's a
seafood place, don't go in and order beef enchiladas.

Regards.

Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?

hope munro smith

Aug 5, 2001, 1:36:05 PM8/5/01
In article
<Pine.A41.4.10.101080...@rocky.che.utexas.edu>, "Victor

M. Martinez, Jr." <mar...@che.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Bottomline, go check them out. You won't be disappointed. BTW, it's a
> seafood place, don't go in and order beef enchiladas.

We went Saturday night and totally agree. The 'ritas are
quite good. Didn't have the seafood cocktail, but nearly
everyone else there was. I had the Monterrey plate, my husband
had the Marinera. Good, tasty, portions are HUGE and very
reasonably priced seafood. It wasn't very crowded there
when we went, but we got there about 6 so maybe that is
early for them.

until soon, Hope

Hope Munro Smith, IC chips 'n' salsa
http://wwwvms.utexas.edu/~hopems

Joseph Crowe

Aug 5, 2001, 8:52:11 PM8/5/01
Hi Victor, et. al.,

"Victor M. Martinez, Jr." wrote:

> Had dinner at Marisco Grill on N. Burnet last night.

Uh, technically there is no such thing as North Burnet. However, where on
Burnet is this baby? By the way, thanks for the review.....do they have
ceviche????

--
Joseph Crowe
http://www.jcrowe.net/~jcrowe

Mike Nassour

Aug 5, 2001, 10:24:33 PM8/5/01

"Joseph Crowe" <jcr...@io.com> wrote in message

> Uh, technically there is no such thing as North Burnet. However, where on
> Burnet is this baby?

Just North of Koenig Lane before you get to Justin Lane on the left, near
where the Burnet Drive In used to be.

Texensis

Aug 6, 2001, 3:47:00 PM8/6/01

"Victor M. Martinez, Jr." <mar...@che.utexas.edu> wrote in message

Isn't this related to the Mariscos in the parking lot off Riverside? Sure
sounds the same, though a bit more expensive.

Victor M. Martinez

Aug 6, 2001, 4:05:32 PM8/6/01
Texensis <miste...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Isn't this related to the Mariscos in the parking lot off Riverside? Sure
>sounds the same, though a bit more expensive.

According to their website they have 2 locations, the one on Burnet and
one downtown, on 6th street I think. Since 'marisco' is the spanish word
for "seafood", I'm guessing many restaurants might include it in their name.

hope munro smith

Aug 6, 2001, 6:36:45 PM8/6/01
In article <9kmtac$3u5$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,

mar...@natasha.che.utexas.edu (Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

> Texensis <miste...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >Isn't this related to the Mariscos in the parking lot off Riverside? Sure
> >sounds the same, though a bit more expensive.
>
> According to their website they have 2 locations, the one on Burnet and
> one downtown, on 6th street I think. Since 'marisco' is the spanish word
> for "seafood", I'm guessing many restaurants might include it in their name.

Not sure if Mariscos Grill is the same restaurant group as
Mariscos Seafood. However, I've eaten at both and you
can't go wrong with either one.

hope munro smith

Aug 6, 2001, 6:37:46 PM8/6/01
In article <UuCb7.4939$1p1.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Texensis" <miste...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Isn't this related to the Mariscos in the parking lot off Riverside? Sure
> sounds the same, though a bit more expensive.

Mariscos Grill is only slightly more expensive, and it's because
everything is made to order with FRESH fresh seafood.

Elliot Richmond

Aug 6, 2001, 10:38:05 PM8/6/01
On Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:47:00 GMT, "Texensis"

>Isn't this related to the Mariscos in the parking lot off Riverside? Sure
>sounds the same, though a bit more expensive.

It is my understanding they are owned by the same family and serve
similar menus. The one off Riverside has that kind of South Austin
ambience that I like. And lower prices.

Victor M. Martinez

Aug 6, 2001, 11:12:16 PM8/6/01
hope munro smith <hop...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>Mariscos Seafood. However, I've eaten at both and you
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now, *that's* a redundancy if I ever saw one... :)

D. Cook

Aug 6, 2001, 11:40:58 PM8/6/01
"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

> hope munro smith <hop...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >Mariscos Seafood. However, I've eaten at both and you
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Now, *that's* a redundancy if I ever saw one... :)

Kinda like "Zwieback toast"?

Texensis

Aug 7, 2001, 9:41:02 AM8/7/01

"Elliot Richmond" <xmric...@xaustin.xrr.xcom> wrote in message

Quite a bit lower--a popular after-work place for beer and chow.

hope munro smith

Aug 7, 2001, 12:56:38 PM8/7/01
In article <9knmag$fen$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,

mar...@natasha.che.utexas.edu (Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

> hope munro smith <hop...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >Mariscos Seafood. However, I've eaten at both and you
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Now, *that's* a redundancy if I ever saw one... :)

Hey, don't blame me!! It was the owners who
named the place!! Kinda like the souvenir place called
"La Tienda Gift Shop" in San Antonio?!

hope munro smith

Aug 7, 2001, 12:57:31 PM8/7/01
In article <OdSb7.5801$1p1.5...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Texensis" <miste...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Quite a bit lower--a popular after-work place for beer and chow.

Still, there seemed to be a lot of blue collar types
at the more expensive place on Burnet -- having the
HUGE margaritas and the seafood cocktails.

Lawrence Person

Aug 7, 2001, 8:30:58 PM8/7/01
In article <3B6F62E6...@yahoo.com>,
"D. Cook" <austin...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Or Manos: The Hand of Fate

- Signed, Someone Who Once Asked What Day Cinco de Mayo Was On

--
Lawrence Person
lawrenc...@jump.net

Victor M. Martinez

Aug 8, 2001, 10:09:22 AM8/8/01
Lawrence Person <lawrenc...@jump.net> wrote:
>- Signed, Someone Who Once Asked What Day Cinco de Mayo Was On

Hehehe... :) that's a good one... :)

Stephen

Aug 19, 2001, 10:43:18 PM8/19/01

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

> hope munro smith <hop...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >Mariscos Seafood. However, I've eaten at both and you
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Now, *that's* a redundancy if I ever saw one... :)

You mean like the street in Kansas City, MO. named

(drum roll please)

The El Paseo

(For real).
Stephen

Steve Wertz

Aug 19, 2001, 11:38:16 PM8/19/01

I used to live in The El Paseo in San Jose, about 2 blocks
from the El Camino. My rent went up, about 8 stories and
now my borther lives there in almost the eactly some spot (10ft
higher and about 30 yards to the left. While the rent was only
$450 back then, he paid close to .65meg 10 years later.

I got him hookesd on Vietnames restrurants and chicks, so he
moved there.

-sw

Bridgeman Margaret

Aug 22, 2001, 10:46:23 PM8/22/01
In article <3B807920...@austin.rr.com>, ssa...@austin.rr.com
wrote:

umm...it's just "The Paseo," as far as we Kansas Citians (if that is
indeed a word) are concerned.

(The name is not imaginative, true.)

Margaret, proud KanCitian for 24 years