I need a farmer's market!

Richard Jones

Mar 26, 2002, 11:12:17 AM3/26/02
Ok, I've given up on finding decent produce from my local HEB. It's either
too pathetic to buy, too expensive for the paltry selection or they're just
out. I can never seem to find the farmer's market on Burnet open (and it
doesn't look like it'd be very worthwhile even when it is). I heard there
was a decent one in Georgetown somewhere, but don't know where.

I'm not yet desperate enough to drive to Hempstead.....But give me time.

rj

s...@merritt.houston.tx.us

Mar 26, 2002, 1:48:44 PM3/26/02
Karen Kay <Ka...@none.com> wrote:

> Where is Hempstead?

bout a hunnered miles east on 290.

> Do they have a good farmer's market?

DiIorio Farms & Roadside Market is sposed to be good.
And they are the 'Watermelon Capital of Texas'.

Sam

Gae Xavier

Mar 26, 2002, 2:10:43 PM3/26/02
There is one every Weds. afternnon in a parking lot near Threadgill's on
Barton Springs Rd. near Congress Ave.. Then there is the Westbank Market
up off Westbank Drive and Loop 360, in the parking lot across from
WestLake HS. They are Sat. from 10-2pm. Then there is one on Burnet Rd.
next to the Academy Surplus that used to be open all the time in the
summer, but surely Sat. and Sun. now.

Richard Jones

Mar 26, 2002, 3:08:07 PM3/26/02

"Gae Xavier" <g...@texas.net> wrote in message

> There is one every Weds. afternnon in a parking lot near Threadgill's on
> Barton Springs Rd. near Congress Ave.. Then there is the Westbank Market
> up off Westbank Drive and Loop 360, in the parking lot across from
> WestLake HS. They are Sat. from 10-2pm. Then there is one on Burnet Rd.
> next to the Academy Surplus that used to be open all the time in the
> summer, but surely Sat. and Sun. now.

Wow, great info! Any of them you recommend over the others?

rj

Richard Jones

Mar 26, 2002, 3:06:48 PM3/26/02
"Karen Kay" <Ka...@none.com> wrote in message
> "Richard Jones" <richarda...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> > Ok, I've given up on finding decent produce from my local HEB.
> > It's either too pathetic to buy, too expensive for the paltry
> > selection or they're just out. I can never seem to find the
> > farmer's market on Burnet open (and it doesn't look like it'd be
> > very worthwhile even when it is). I heard there was a decent one
> > in Georgetown somewhere, but don't know where.
>
> I went there once--expensive, and not a lot of variety. I buy my
> vegetables at My Thanh at Lamar. They seem to be fresher than what I
> have found in most grocery stores here.

> > I'm not yet desperate enough to drive to Hempstead.....But give
> > me time.
>
> Where is Hempstead? Do they have a good farmer's market?
>
> --
> Karen

Yeah, it's out on 290 a while. They've got a great roadside market.
Admittedly, I haven't been there in a few years but they always had great
produce, plants, and other yard "decorations."

Texensis

Mar 26, 2002, 3:36:53 PM3/26/02

| There is one every Weds. afternnon in a parking lot near Threadgill's on
| Barton Springs Rd. near Congress Ave.. Then there is the Westbank Market
| up off Westbank Drive and Loop 360, in the parking lot across from
| WestLake HS. They are Sat. from 10-2pm. Then there is one on Burnet Rd.
| next to the Academy Surplus that used to be open all the time in the
| summer, but surely Sat. and Sun. now.

And thanks to the one on South Congress (Saturdays, 8 am to 1 pm, parking
lot of El Gallo, across from St. Edward's), we've been enjoying the finest
of asparagus for three weeks now. Someone was asking here or in a.g. not
long ago about started chile plants; not yet, but someone here will
certainly have some one of these times.

jojo

Mar 26, 2002, 3:37:35 PM3/26/02
In article <a7q6kj$6ov$1...@tivnews.tivoli.com>,
"Richard Jones" <richarda...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Don't forget Boggy Creek Farm right here in town; follow this link for
directions. Amazing organic produce. And very nice people.

http://www.boggycreekfarm.com

Support your local grower.

jojo

Wes Marshall

Apr 6, 2002, 11:30:09 AM4/6/02
Boggy creek weds and sat am's

"Richard Jones" <richarda...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Jay

Apr 9, 2002, 8:50:24 AM4/9/02
Check the Westlake farmers market.. West Lake High parking lot.. most
Saturdays 10 - 2 .. Not bad!

"Wes Marshall" <mars...@onr.com> wrote in message

Motorblade

Apr 9, 2002, 10:16:18 AM4/9/02
On Burnet between koenig and anderson where BBQ HQ and Hoovers are near the new
Curras and Primitives is the Travis County Farmers Market.

I believe Threadgills has a farmer s market on weekends at the downtown
location, call to confirm.

"fritz"
<A
HREF="http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-05-11/xtra_featu
re4.html">The Austin Chronicle Features: A Life on Wheels</A>
www.motorblade.com
Birdy(Parker), Brazil(Gilliam),and Brewster McCloud(Altman)